merovingian

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Phoenix
Is there any chance that merovingian could be a past one, his sentience/essence transformed to a program? cos persephone says he used to be "just like" Neo...

The Gryphon
I doubt it. The Oracle refers to Mero as one of the oldest of us. And The Oracle existed before The One existed, when the first two matrix's were made.

Evil Dead
There is Zero chance...............the architect tells us that all of Neo's predecessors had to enter the mainframe and leave part of their code behind to prevent a "cataclismic system crash", then rebuild Zion............obviously all 5 did so because the Matrix still exists, it did not crash.

chico23
The points have been made so I'll just say I voted No.

Phoenix
just an idea me and my friends had...

SpikeSpiegel
I wonder if neo will have to fight him in revelotions?

TheSecond
Evil Dead,

But Neo didn't leave any code behind either. And, on the screens in the Architect's abode, all the past ones look like him, b/c it's a rule. When the others restarted, its like rebooting a computer, everything is the same, and if you don't fix the computer, the same virus (NEO) will occur exactly the same. Mero is just an old outcast like Smith, but he is older and much more knowledgable. Like me.

TheSecond
Here's another thought I had. Everyone says that reality is still "The Matrix", can't be true! and if it is, they wasted all our time and money. The whole movie circles around that premise, why would machines waste their time if they didn't need to?

Sifer
TheSecond: Exactly - There is no MWAM smile

nickjs21
thesecond: actually, i don't think those images behind the architect were the past ones. i used to think that, until a friend pointed something out to me -- the whole movie deals with causality and our choices. neo's choices are a big part of the architect's speech. i think the screens behind him show every possible choice neo could have made. every option that went through his head.

architect: blah blah blah you're the sixth one blah blah
neo's possible reactions:
-- that can't be
-- you're full of shit
-- oh my god, it makes sense
-- get me outta here!
-- i don't get it
-- *gives the finger*

stuff like that. you'll notice that sometimes they zoom in on a particular screen and then that turns into what he actually says.

that's why there's a little bit of humor when the architect says zion will be destroyed and every screen says "bullshit."

see, all the previous ones chose to restart zion instead of going to the second door. all of the screens in that room show neo going to the second door, though, meaning to him it was his only option.

don't mean to get off-topic, but i made the same misinterpretation.

to stay a little on the subject, i don't think he's an old one. good idea, though. and yes, i'd like to see them fight.

Phoenix
confused...

hodgie723
To tell all of you. The is no one more obssesed with The Matrix than I am. There is no one more knolwedgeable about The Matrix than I as well. To say that the Merogvingian was a past One is complete nonsence. Yes, I do beleive that Persephone says that her husband used to be like Neo, but that only means that she used to love him like Trinity loves Neo. Truly, i do beleive that Neo will undoubtably kill The Architecht and prove that he is a fraud, argo have the mergovingian tardiving.

hodgie723
many people are Phoenix

Evil Dead
Pheonix........if you are confused then you understood the movie perfectly, don't be hard on yourself.

I too thought the screens represented past Neo's while watching the movie in the theatre both times. It didn't dawn on my that they represented his choices untill about the second time I was watching it on DVD........

Second........I get what you are saying, I was merely pointing out that all 5 past anomolies/the ones had to enter the mainframe......meaning they set out rebuilding Zion, it was impossible for one of them to have stayed inside the Matrix because the system would crash, the architect says that if Neo doesn't enter the mainframe and basically "reboot the system" it will crash............

I'm beginning to believe that the reason the system crashes is most likely Smith replicating himself into everyone......he is a virus after all. What better to cause a "catastrophic system failure" than an unstoppable virus...........I believe Neo will fight him in Revolutions to try and destroy him thus saving the Matrix and all the human lives that are dependant on it.

Sifer
Just to clarify - It's a cataclysmic not catastrophic. Not to mention at the end of the first movie it says "System Failure" wink

Evil Dead
good call..............and good call..........

The Omega

Phoenix
why should they eb younger than neo?

The Omega

Sifer
He is a program - but it's not that we should be asking. What is his purpose? is the question we should be asking smile

Crash_Overload
This goes back up the page a bit...

What Omega said is right, and I was about to point that out, Neo will NOT fight the Architech and he will NOT meet him again, becase as said in ETM when Niobe and Ghost are in the endless doors construct, the key maker says that "Ounce the key has been used, it can not be used again" also, only the keymaker could make the key, AND the whole floor of that building blew up, thus no more door, AND you think that the security around the nucleare power plant would be a bit more high?

Also I hate when people talk about things they don't know, even if it is me.

Crash_Overload
Yo,
To get back at what Omega said, I think Merovingian is an exiled programer, like The Twins, he just chose to stay in the Matrix.

The Omega

nEo1266
In Enter The Matrix it states that Merovingian is an exile. He is an exile like the twins like the keymaker etc.

Crash_Overload
WHAT THE HECK IS ALL THIS??? (thanx for the support I forgot about that one) ARE YOU TRYING TO DO THE TRINITY THING IN ETM?? BUT WHAT IS ALL THAT FOR???

twisted-signs
If the real theory is MWAM (whateever), then your wrong.

Merovingian = Past One.
Persephone = Past Trinity.

Also, the neos on the screens aren't previous ones, they are different states of neos minds.

Crash_Overload
Mero WAS NOT a past One, because if he WAS then he would have a body, wich he DOES NOT. Also, without a body he can't really live.

And, It is NOT diffrent states of Neo's mind, but diffrent Possibilities of his answer.

Sifer
Merovingian = Hades

Ikobe
Hm, I think Mero was a previous One... also because to my knowledge, he gets his name from the (Christian?) cult of the Merovignians, who I think believed they were the direct descendents of God or Jesus or something... not quite sure...

Oh, and he's the supposed "King of the Matrix", because he has collected rogue programs, etc. (Matrix, irm, v4, I think, agents - and the twins, respectively!) from previous versions of the Matrix... how else would he have obtained the knowledge of previous Matrices?

Just my tuppence...

~Ikobe

PS. Mero's cool, na?

kobeprodgi
The Merovingian is NOT A past "One", and Neo's predecessors were not younger than him. Are we forgetting that in Reloaded the Merovingian spoke of his (Neo's) predecessors as having more respect. I truly doubt he would have been refering to children.

Metroplex
If Merovingian is a past one, than where is he plugged in??? Why doesnt he age??? Why did he turn evil????? Why did he knew love (married Persephone) when it is only Neo that learned love. So with all these factors come into play, than i dont think he is a previous one.

The Omega

kobeprodgi
"Omega"> "Respect", was not the word to be stressed upon. It was the idea that the Merovingian had meet the previous "Ones". I don't believe they woul have been children when he (Merovingian) would have meet them. True Neo may have been the oldest mind to be freed, however that only means that "minds" were usually freed when young! The "potentials", in the Oracle's apartment would still have to mature before they would have been allowed into the Matrix. Check out my posts in "Matrix Philisopical Theories" about the purpose of the "One" or rather how he has no purpose as far as keeping the Matrix going. As for the Merovingian, I still contend that he is not a previous "One". The Oracle mentioned in "Reloaded" he (Merovingian) was the oldest of us, meaning one of the oldest programs. You must take into account that each run of the Matrix would not have been identical. Some of the players would have been different. For example in a previous run it may not have been necessary to obtain the "Key Maker" in order to reach the "Source". And with his death in "Reloaded", if there were to be a seventh version he (Key Maker) would not be there, so there would be an alternative path for the new "One" to take. Please reply, am interested to hear u'r take

GABRIEL05
Architect: The Matrix is older than you know. I prefer counting from the emergence of one integral anomaly to the emergence of the next, in which case this is the 6th version.
TV Neos: 5 `One's before me? 4! 3! 2! What are you talking about?

Of all those peeps on the screen, some were the previous ones reactions. Others must have been his choices

GABRIEL05

kobeprodgi
To say that Neo chose to save Trinity rather than Zion purely on the basis of his love for her is just plain wrong. One would fist have to assume that the previous five "Ones" based on a similar predication made the opposite choice because they did not know love. Now while they may not have known the intense love Neo has for Trinity they being human would have had love or knew love on some level. We are not giving Neo enough credit and overlooking what truely makes Neo different from those before him. It's his refusal to accept, what he has been told, is his role in the grand design that is the Matrix. The choice to save Trinity to him would have been a no brainer. To chose Zion would only be to submit to the system and allow for mankind to remain enslaved by the machines. And this I think is primary theme of the Trilogy. Nonconformity, going against the grain, individualism, not just accepting what has been placed before you, the quest to be truely free.

The Omega

kobeprodgi
Omega> Your in denial ! The "Keymaker", like the "Merovingian" and the "Oracle" were exiled programs. They chose to be exiled (ie. reside in the Matrix) rather than be deleted or return to the "Source" the computer main frame. These prgrams are not just "reloaded" as you put it, with each new version of the Matrix. If that were the case there would be no continuity. Neither the Merovingian nor the Oracle would have any knowledge of the past. Remember in the freeway scene in "Reloaded" the Agents primary concern was the eradication of the "exiler" (the Keymaker) rather than Trinity or Morpheus. If programs like these would just return with each reboot why go through all the trouble to dispence with them ?

GABRIEL05
If what the smithee boy tells us is true, then the anomaly, and THE ONE are two totally different things.

1. There was five ANOMOLIES. Yes, but not five CHOSEN ONE's. However I still believe the screens were Neo's choices, AND his predecesors choices, provided that all the anomalies looked alike.

2. Remember. This anomaly is different than the rest, hell this MATRIX (v. 6.0) is different from the rest. So there might not have been a Trinity, but an equivalent.

What's wierd is if there is no more anomaly. If it has degraded, then the machines finally have their perfect Matrix I suppose.

A Talking Dog
The Merovingian states before the Chateu battle that "I have survived your predecessors". So, NO, he couldn't have been a past one. Or could he?

Sifer
He ISN'T one of them. He may have been their protector in previous Reloads. I have come up with this based on the fact that the Merovingian Kings bloodline claim they are the descendants of Christ and fought in the Crusades for him etc etc blah blah.

If you know the history you will see why I have come up with this theory.

Celsius
good theory. the one thing that dessapoints me about this movie is its insinuation that neo is in a way christ.

GABRIEL05
They try to make every prophetic figure look like Christ. Anakin was born by immaculate conception, Neo has his powers, and what not. It's getting to be a real trite idea.

The Omega

kobeprodgi
Omega>The Oracle was an "Exiler" in M1. Why else would she have been interviewing "potentials" (the children). I'm of the opinion that she (the Oracle) is some kind of probability program, number cruncher, hence her fortune teller like abilities.

As for the previous "Ones", certainly they had been "unpluged" at a much earlier age than was Neo. What I'm contending is that they would not have been ready to assume the role of the "One" till they had matured physically and would have probably been around Neos' age when they were ready.

Now I made a post in "Matrix Philosophies" which explained my theory that the "One" in truth serves no purpose as far as the continuance of the Matrix. I came to this conclusion because in both movies they tried to kill Neo. Agent Smith and the Merovingian who undoubtly had knowledge of previous versions of the Matrix had no problem in dispencing with of him (Neo). Had he (Neo) really been required to return to the source to fulfill his destiny they would not have been trying to kill he. I'm of the opinion that the whole "Source", "Architect" scenario is the final form of contorl for the "One". It was sufficent to stop the previous five "Ones" from evolving further, but not this time.

Altar[1stONE]
I think that neo will be able to meet the Architect again , reason being is he did not reach the true potential and powers of being the one. In reloaded he only got certain basics that will be an asset to him in the present time. Rumor has it , when neo fully reaches the power of the one he will be able to bend and reshape the matrix as he sofit as Morph. said in M1. So maybe hell be able to find the architect , kill him. Then maybe run the matrix kill off all the machines and free the people. Possibly there may be a chance that smith survives , and brings back the machines in another time. How do i know this , the game Matrix Online takes place after revolutions , and the matrix still exists along with agents. So who knows.

The Omega

Agent_Smith
if u pay attention u would no that mero is the king of the matrix therfore he cant be the one

Agent_Smith
or a prev. one

Sifer
Actually, I came up with a good theory on what the Merovingian could be.

He could be the computer's equivalent of the Anomaly.

Architect: Despite my sincerest efforts...

The Merovingian was one of his "efforts" to get rid of the need for a human "One"? It obviously didn't work as the One was still created so the Merovingian became an Exile to prevent from being deleted.

I dunno, it was just an idea I had the other night.

kobeprodgi
Omega> Why should the previous "Ones" have been around Neos age ? Perhaps I don't think it would make as good eye candy to see 5, 10, or even 15 to 20 year olds doing battle with the likes of the Merovingian and Agent Smith in the Matrix . . . . or then again maybe it would ? But sseriously, there is nothing in either of the two films M1 or M2 to suggest that the previous "Ones" would have been considerably younger than Neo was when they were ready to assume the role of the "One". Also to date there has only been one resistance member who was noticeabley younger than any of the others we have seen so far . . "Mouse" from M1 who meet his demise. Which would seem to imply that some degree of physical maturity is necessary before entering the Matrix as a fighting member of the resistance.

Ikobe
Whoa... this is, quite simply, bakin' my lil' noodle...

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.