Symbiotix

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Braavosi
Did anyone else noticw the seemingly symbiotic relationship of the humans and machines in the movie? People have touched on whether we would want to be saved. Would we? Why do people want to be free? Life is worse on the outside. It seems to be a matter of principle- people don't want too much control on their lives. But the machines have so much control over enslaved people the people don't know they have any at all. That is the point of the Matrix- give people a choice and they will accept the beautiful lie rather than the ugly truth. It seems the freed humans object to the matrix merely because it denies them choice. If someone came up to them and said, "You can live in this battle-scarred wasteland or you can live in a beautiful world where all your needs will be provided for, the only condition is that we use your body as a battery, which you will be unaware of, and which will not affect you in any way," the people would probably take choice #2. I know I would. Its like a symbiotic relationship- the humans provide the machines with energy, and the machines provide the humans with a world better than the real one. I mean, what is reality? If our senses can sense it, and it will sustain us, is it really false? Belief makes it real. Plus, it's not like the Matrix is being forced on these people. The architect said they can subconsciously reject it- and the subconscious chooses to accpet it. I think the people outside the Matrix are fighting on principle only, not to improve the lives of the people inside. It's the principle of the thing- they don't want to be used as batteries not because it's detrimental to their health, (which it has proven not to be- otherwise people in the Matrix would be dropping like flies and there would be suspicion- but because of spite. They don't want to be helpful to the robots because it means surrendering their freedom for a lower level of freedom. But for those born into the Matrix, they have all the freedom they need. If it was unhealthy and bad for them, it would be understandable that their fellows would want to free them. But it's not. If I sound like I'm siding with the robots, it's because I am. The only reason there are people who don't want to be in the Matrix is spite.

zoomonkey
Just because you believe something doesn't make it real. I can believe all day long that I have a Ferrari. When i go out to my garrage its still a 1971 Ford. I do understand your point of what's a better existence. A beautiful lie or ugly truth. But beautiful or not its still a lie. Like Morpheus said, the truth will set you free.

Steven

Evil Dead
I believe the point to Revelations will indeed be that the humans are past the point of winning..........their only choice is to live a symbiotic relationship with the machines.

One thing: You mentioned choice........I wouldn't mind not having the choice of having my body used as an energy source if I wasn't currently using it (those inside the Matrix aren't using their bodies)........

What I would mind is not having choice inside of the Matrix..........humans having choice inside the Matrix is merely an illusion........the machines still control them.............did you watch reloaded? Did the blonde woman have a choice when she went to the bathroom to give Merovingian a bj? No......Merovingian sent her a piece of cake with the code inside of it to make her do so..........she had no choice even inside of the Matrix.

Metroplex
In the Animatrix, I think in the Second Renaissance, the narrator said somethng about a sybiotic relataionship.

Sifer
But she did have a choice...whether to eat it or not smile But because she chose to eat it then Causality came into play smile

nickjs21
i don't want to get into this again. no one in their right mind would choose the matrix over the real world. it's that simple. truth over lie, freedom over captivity. ugliness over beauty and hardship over simplicity don't matter at all.

and i can't take you too seriously if you say, "belief makes it real." our senses can tell us whatever we want; that doesn't change objective truth. a red apple will still be red whether i see it as red or blue or yellow.

Ikobe
Yup. ZionArchive did say that... irm... something like...

Personally, I'd want to be freed even though it would mean going through agonizing pain, mental distruption and whatever. The thought of having to live in a world where everything is controlled spooks me too much, and I'd rather live in the real world. But hey, I'm just a skeptic little teenager.

~Ikobe

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.