Harry Potter Age Group ?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Wizard Lord
Harry Potter seems to be viewed by many people as childish. What do you all think about this? Is Harry Potter only for eight-year olds? Personally, I know many "adults" that enjoy reading the books and even watch the films. The first book may have been aimed at/attracted younger readers but I feel alot of older people, young teens, teenagers and adults, that enjoy a good read have been put off by this. The plots of Goblet of Fire and Order of the Pheonix have been quite complex and feature parts of violence and romance, as if clearly aimed at older readers. So what do you all think? Is the good old Potter boy only to be read/watched by little kids? cool Tell me!

da_vipa
i think its for all ages BUT u try readin a 766 page book when ur 7 years old, i certainly wouldnt have because it is just too long, i think the books have evolved from being a childs book into a book for any age.

Wizard Lord
That's what I thought too vipa, just a pity people are put off reading any HP books cause they think it's too childish...stupid really! mad

da_vipa
bloody pathetic thats wot people who say they are childish might as well not read at all!

Sirius Black
Like many things people get an impression of a book by judging it's cover. There is nothing you can do. Afterall who reads about witches and Wizards?... wink

brookealicious6
That's the most retarded thing I've ever heard!!! I actually told a woman I babysit for to make her oldest son (who is 8) slow down reading the books! C'mon! You have to admitt that the 3rd book get's soo complicated and is sometimes hard to follow. I remeber when I first read it. I had to go back and re-read some parts (but then again I have a tendancy to think about other things while i read which makes me get..lol.) My sister (10 yrs old) tried to read the 3rd book and flipped out because it was complicated!!!
IT IS DEFINETLY NOT FOR CHILDREN! JEEZ.

BellaButterfly
I agree! THe books are pretty complicated. I think the harry potter books have something for everybody!
~thats me> bunny

da_vipa
yeh the FIRST book on the other hand, was for kids definately but she i think she came to the decision to make it for all ages because the 2nd is allot more complicated. Book 4 and 5 id like to see ANY 7 or 8 year old read it any faster then a month or more

brookealicious6
Me 2! I don't think 7-10 year olds will get past the third book w/o getting confused.

hpluva14
i think that wut most of yall said tha first was aimed for the yunger peepl but as the series go on they get aimed towards teens and up they are def. not childish

N.Tonks
i read the 3rd and 4th harry potter books when i was like 10 or 11 and got really confused....i reread the third and fourth books this summer and realized that i seemed to have skipped some important parts or something....i think the 1st and 2nd books are ok for 7-10 yr olds but the third, fourth, and fifth are for slightly older people.

frootlooplucy
i think its possible for younger kids t read the later books without getting TOO confused... but theres heaps of subtle stuff that younger kids might not pick up... the books are really complex BUT they dont HAVE to be, they are easy to read as well, and if you dont look really deeply into it they are childrens books, however all ages enjoy them, thats obvious, AND THAT PROVES THAT THEY ARE REALLY REALLY WELL WRITTEN.

dan_rad_hottie
the books r gr8
and the movies r even better its not childish
i mean all ages love it and the movies seem to be getting better and better each year!

jennyanderson
My boy friend is 19 years old and he is crazy about Harry Potter, my parents are in their 40's and they are hooked too, my 14 years old brother's a Potterholic, his bedroom is full to the brim with all the Harry Potter merchandise, and believe me, he use to eat the 'Bertie Botts Every Flavoured Beans' all the time when they first came out, no matter how horrible they were, just to prove his devotion to Harry Potter. Every one I know is a Potterholic, my teachers, cousins, family, friends, you name it. So, Boohoo to those who says that Harry Potter is for the kids only!

vvvrulz
Well personally, i put off reading them cos i thought they looked kiddish, until i heard all about the hype. And yeah they turned out great. But thats providing i can visualise the main characters as being teens or around about my age (18) rather than as the little kids they are in the movies. A reason why im not big on the movies, theyre not bad.. dont get me wrong. But yeah, as long as theyre mature in my mind, which by book 5 they are anyway, im happy smile

crazy_c
I think the books are for anybody not just kids. And i started reading them when i was about 9 and i never found them complicated.

airangel429
I'M 23 AND I LOVE THEM!

qwerty1
I think some people say Harry Potter is childish because it's intentionally written to be very easy to read. But that doesn't mean it's only for kids! The story and characters are so well written and sufficiently complicated for all ages, in my opinion.

Danistar
These books are for any age!!!!
I'm about 17 and I love them!!!

chic_sxydiva
i think it's for all age coz my sis(21) loves 'em too.

crazy_c
hell i bet there are grannys readin them

VanHRH
ill admit....i wasnt a HP fan untill like 7 months ago!(I was 17 then but i just turned 18 in Nov) i did think they where childish......that is untill one day i was babysitting my god daughter..and i came upon book 1 in some of her books and since i didnt have anything to do that entire day..i read the whole book and i thought it was awesome so...i checked out books 2-4 from my local library.....and that when i became a Fanatic....im in lovee with the whole series now.....ITS NOT EVEN FUNNY! I think i became i a freak around November when i finally get my hands on book 5...i had a real breakdown when sirus died....my mom thought something was really wrong with me...her facial expression was priceless when she found out i was crying about a character from a book.... laughing but back to the topic....HP is far all age groups..yes....however.....books 3-5 (and 6 along with 7 when they come out) relate more towards teenagers and adults.

Linkalicious
i became a harry potter fan when i turned 19...now i'm 21. I don't think they are only for adults and i don't think they are only for kids. I think they are for all age groups. I think that as a kid you understand some parts of the plot...but just like Disney movies, you understand more of the subtle jokes and finer points as you grow older. Each time you read the books or watch the movies you notice something new, regardless of age.

daeri
Maybe we should make a poll on this.. smile

daeri
If you read the books I'd like you to ask, How old are you?

daeri
I made this poll because I read this thread:

http://www.killermovies.com/forums/f44/t7330.html

I thought it maybe was intresting to know what age group reads Harry Potter the most.. smile

Joy2dWorld
Here's one for you -- I'm 28 yrs old.. but dont look now -- on the official Harry Potter website, a 48yr old woman was named fan of the week!

my boss, a very successful deputy executive director of a corporation, and over 40 yrs old (43 i think), is actually the one who recommended it to me!

if you read a special news feature on the BBC website dealing exactly with this subject, you will see comments/reactions from readers of all ages - most of them very heartwarming - parents reading with their kids!

The Potter books should inspire us to be "child-LIKE" NOT "child-ish" !

so dont worry.. kids wink

"You're never too old to believe in magic."

eezy45
im becoming 15 in 4 days...
<<so at 13.1.>>

daeri
It's maybe a weird question, but I was very tired this morning.. sorry for that..

I was just curious about the ages from people that read the Harry Potter books.. smile

daeri
Maybe you can vote on this poll.. smile it's about the ages from people that read the Harry Potter books.. smile Maybe we can look what age group reads the Harry Potter books the most

http://www.killermovies.com/forums/f44/t24478.html

Maikahyandowen
age group? somewhere between 5 and 100, i think.

daeri
oww.. I'm so stupid! it is a poll.. I didn't saw it this morning... how stupid.. embarrasment embarrasment I was really tired this morning..

Joy2dWorld
hey daeri, what are you sorry for? you actually started a very interesting thread!

there's an issue here about some adults who deny that they read the Harry Potter books bcoz they think others would laugh at them thinking that the books are children's stuff.

i'm not ashamed to be reading the books at my age - its actually a heavy, deep, profound material if you analyze it carefully - a way of looking at things thru a child's eyes - like going back to the age of innocence - but it has evolved - growing along with its audience.

it is multi-layered - and can be viewed in 2 types of perspectives - the child's & the adult's - but the books are written so well & so witty that its very important messages for children DO NOT lose their significance even when viewed thru an adult's perspective!

daeri
Well, I'm 16.. and I don't know any adults who reads the books exept my Math teacher, but she reads it because her daughter reads it..

Trickster
I don't think it matters. I read LOTR when I was in year 5 or 6 - about 10 years old. Books can be for any ages. I know several young children who had no problem with the plot. Anyway, the only complicated bit is the end.

Trickster
Oh yeah, and the priests who say it is satanic - they havent read it in case they are corrupted by it. The yhave no idea whats in between the covers!

squeaky
I'm 21 years old. I love Harry Potter, i think it's an excellent read.

Maikahyandowen
excellent read......... since when is there a set age for enjoying books? age matters not, only the size of your imagination.

pip-foot
I agree with everyone else, i didn't read them untill i was 14 and i know more older people than younger ones that read them! THey are awsome!!!!!!!!!!!!

shanie623
I think most people who read the Harry Potter books now are around my age range. Because Harry Potter became popular when I was 14, and I read it then. Now I'm 17, I'm still reading it. When I was 14, my older friends (20 +) like reading the books, and they still do now. So like, as Harry Potter grows older, I think more older people starts reading the book. Get what I'm saying? (I'm confusing myself)

But yes, my point is: As Harry Potter grows older, readers grow older, and more older people reads HP =) So it's not "just for children" anymore.

furious_socks
i was 10 when i started to read the books yes

Maikahyandowen
as long as you understand what's happening, then have at it, i say.

iluvorlando
I totally agree w/ you guys, although they kinda started as more of a children's book, i would never have read a 870 page book when i was 10! not to mention they totally rock my face off right now! (And i'm not 10 smile)

Maikahyandowen
rock your face off............. i think i might have read a 600 page book when i was 10. i don't remember.

firebolt14
i think tey r for ALL AGES aswel! i started readin it wen i spose i was bout 10 n i love it but loadsa ppl all ages read them n the 5th bk did hav an adult cover so tht proves its for all ages!

Tomi1Female
My experience with people who don't lik the HP series has been 3 fold. The people I have discussed the series with that don't like it either:

1) Haven't read the books due to alleged "religious" reasons. They feel the "witchcraft" and "spells" used are BAD, or they have been "informed" by someone they know that the books are "spiritually damaging".
2) Haven't read the the books, because they simply don't like SciFi or Fantasy books.
3) Haven't read it simply because the books were written with children in mind.

It's very sad to me that so many people have such narrow minds. I actually feel sorry for them. I can't help but wonder, if these people have children will stifle their imaginations and creativity?

Lady_Eowyn3
eh people are weird, my whole family reads HP, except for my dad cuz he's just weird, but me (17), my lil sis(13), my lil bro(9) n even my mom reads em, although she reads em in spanish, but they're 4 everyone as long as u understand, 600 pg books rnt bad for kids, i've always rd big books since i was like 6 i read novels, its just as long as u understand what ur reading

shaber
I was 13 when the Philosopher's Stone came out yes

frodo_dude
when i was nine i read a 690 pages book (though it took me about a year :s)

ummmm?
Just because the book was complicated doesnt mean that it was "not for kids" it may just mean that it was horribly written? I have picked up some of the HP books, and well, it is not exactly Shakespeare and when an author of mediocre style tries to interweave plots and such, well things get lost, not "more advanced". I am sorry but it was probably confusing because she cannot write well.

ADarksideJedi
I know alot of people who are older then me who likes harry potter.Not one person said that it was childish and I believe that it is more of an adult book then a kids specially the new movie.

siriuswriter
There is no age limit - adults enjoy the books just as much as kids. I would say that 9,10,11 is a good age for kids to actually like - get it. And enjoy it.

ADarksideJedi
I argee^

~Bun Bun~
For all ages that's forsure.
I was in my eairly tweens when i picked them up. It felt as the series grew up as I did.

@ Umm: Books 4-7 were meant to be confusing. If they characters are confused then you are. And until the very end of 7 Harry remains confused. Also, imo, that's a example of a good writer. You feel exactly what the characters feel.

maxman1180
Originally posted by chic_sxydiva
i think it's for all age coz my sis(21) loves 'em too.

nice pic, awesome... ^_^

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.