A Jedi's death?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

robincooper
in the origonal made films IV, V, VI when a jedi died he turned to a ghost like spirit and his boy would just disapear, YET for some wird unexplaine reason qui gon gins body is burnt and nothing more is heard from him except fo a vague cry in the second one is this just a blooper? or is ther a rational explanation for it? confused confused

yerssot
better make a sticky for this question too wink

it's unknown, though it's clear it's something knew (Vader was quite surprised with OB1 disappearing)
so, it's new...
how come?
One thing that could be is that it's related to the Prophecy (GL said: "It's the ability to retain your identity throughout the Force).
Anakin: "One day, I will even learn people to stop from dying!"

that's pretty much it actually, will be explained in EpIII he said

robincooper
one thing obut the prophecy i can't understand either is this buisness about 'balance to the force' does this prophecy mean that there will be equal jedi to the sith one day? because otherwise it soesn't make any sense to me...

cookies2006
Me either, but when u said u hear QGJ in ep2, i think that was supposed to be Obi1. Cuz he says the exact same thing at the end when they are fighting Dooku.

yerssot
no, Liam Neeson said in interviews it was him
(was also said in the novel)

robincooper
i'm sure it was definetley liam neeson because i think i saw the same interview and kept rewinding it back till i found it... took all night! laughing

Omegaman
I feel that the "balance" issue is that when Anakin/Vader returns to the good side and kills the emperor he makes things "right" again and thus brings "balance" to the force(or makes things right). Something that is similar is like in Karate Kid , Miagi talks about Daniel-son having balance, and Daniel-son says he wont have balance with his girlfriend unless he enters the tournement and faces his bullies! Get it?

Ushgarak
'Balance to the Force' is when the Sith are defeated, simple as that.

rogue_jedi
yes. the sith are vanquished, thus balance is brought to the force. there are some other aspects in the expanded universe i could bring up to contradict this, but this is not the place for it.

SpikeSpiegel
When did QGJ say something in ep II i missed that

robincooper
that was when anikan slaughtered those sand people... and they cut to yoda and you can just hear him in the back round saying "ANIKAN, ANIKAN, NOOOOOO! then yoda says he feels much pain!

yerssot
yes, because the credibility of any EU-source is around ... ZERO, zilch, nada, nothing

it's made for fun and that's all

Ushgarak
But as yerssot says, the important bit was that it was the disappearing Jedi in the Original films that is the odd thing. They are not MEANT to disappear. So what QGJ did was normal.

Rogue Jedi
anything in EU has zero credibility? george lucas has to approve everything that goes in those books. its HIS UNIVERSE. i would think that the books are very much an extinsion of the movies.

yerssot
NO

GL does NOT aprove ANYTHING from the EU-books!
that's why it's called expended universe books!

cookies2006
Luke goes to the dark side in the books doesnt he? Cuz in one of my old insiders they had pics of the Books toys, and they had Luke and Leia on the dark side.Bunch of Han solos children were jedi's too. Pretty cool stuff.

Rogue Jedi
ok, im gonna drop the EU thing. apparently i know NOTHING and everyone is biting my head off. i can take a hint.

yerssot
never said you know nothing
it's just that people bring in EU like it's canon

cookies2006
I just read it in one of the insider mags.

Rogue Jedi
look on the inside cover of any star wars book. it says COPYRIGHT BY LUCASARTS OR LUCASFILMS LTD.; george lucas OWNS lucasfilms!!!!! he must approve anything in these books!!! thats what a copyright is!!!!!

BLADE
George Lucas does not approve anything personally, however EVERYTHING that is Star Wars EU, from books to comics to cartoons to action figures is ALL approved or disapproved by his staff at Lucasfilm. Star Wars is his baby and they watch over it VERY closely, they are VERY nitpicky about technical things, IE: one of the novels had Luke saying "that's ok, I only need one hand to fly an x-wing". Lucasfilm sent them a footnote that said "two hands" and it had to be corrected before it could be published. Now the reason EU is not considered "canon" is because as picky as Lucasfilm is, they also give the authors a lot of freedom when it comes to storylines, characters, developements and even time frames. They consider that stuff to be part of the writers' creativity and they try not to impose on that if they don't absolutely have to. So, you get a lot of writers who are doing Star Wars and none of them know what the others are writing and they contradict each other left and right on stories, characters and time frames and wala, the EU has no credability.

cookies2006
So lucasfilm is sort of like GL's baby sitter.?

yerssot
no, GL has the final word of course!

cookies2006
Yeah dont we have a finale word with baby sitters.?

BLADE
You got it.

cookies2006
Yeah thats what i was saying.

Rogue Jedi
you just said it, yerssot. goerge lucas has the final word. thanx

cookies2006
Man im confused.

BLADE
I don't blame you, it is kinda complicated, basically it breaks down to this, George Lucas is the sole owner of the entire Star Wars franchise, Lucasfilm is his company that he ceated to {among other things} help him over see it all bacause he can't do it all himself. As far as the EU goes, George can't possibly approve or disapprove every page of every book that is written, he'd have no time to do anything else, so he has his staff at Lucasfilm do it for him, only the very major things like the death of Chewbacca, etc, MUST be approved by George personally, but he's too busy and important to do the "nitpicky" stuff. Think of George as the Emperor and Lucasfilm as Vader. I might point out that George owns all the EU characters as well, Mara Jade, Xizor, Thrawn and everyone else you want to name are all copyrighted as property of Lucasfilm, when an author is hired to write a novel about Star Wars, he/she is working for Lucas, and their work becomes the property of Lucasfilm at the signing of the contract. So, Timothy Zahn created the characters of Mara Jade and Thrawn, but Lucasfilm owns them, much like Bob Kane created Batman, but DC Comics owns Batman because he was created through comissioned work for them. I hope this helps 'cause now I need an asprin, lol. peace, Blade.

YodaFan465
All right guys, you seem like a nice group, so I, an SW fan, will let you in on the "disappearing secret!" Happy Dance Happy Dance Happy Dance All right, when a Jedi dies, his/her body disappears into the Force only if he or she is ready to die! Take the example of Qui-Gon. His death (to him) was unexpected. His mind was also not clear; the training of Anakin weighed heavily on his mind. However, Obi-Wan sacrificed himself, ready to die. Yoda, on Dagobah, knew he would die; he had finished training Luke, and his Jedi business was complete. Paraphrasing, a Jedi will only disappear into the Force if he or she is ready to die. Make sense?

Rogue Jedi
damn, blade, howd you know that? makes a lot of sense. i thought that a jedi disappeared when he or she made themselves at one with the force.

yerssot
no, that would mean it's a common trick, which it isn't, otherwise Vader wouldn't be surprised

BLADE
I have to side with yerssot, in the end of ROTJ, Vader fullfilled his destiny and brought balance to the Force {Luke didn't kill anyone in that duel, The Emperor and Vader killed each other} Vader knew his job was done, he accepted his death and yet, he didn't disappear.

yerssot
according to the JC on sw.c he did

BLADE
I didn't know that, YodaFan465 knew it and your'e right, it's a very good theory, it just raises a couple of questions that would seem inconsistent. Still better than anything I can come up with on this subject though. George did say that this will be answered in ep 3, it'll be fun to see who gets it right.

BLADE
Oh, ok I didn't know that, sorry YodaFan, that just leaves the question of why was Vader surprised then, thanks for the info yerssot, Blade.

yerssot
thing that comes close to it is that it's prophecy related as said a few times (though probably not in this thread anymore)

robincooper
do you think it may be revealed in the next one????

yerssot
he said so, yes

robincooper
embarrasment

cookies2006
i dont get it, vader didnt dissapear but he still was one with the force? As u can see him clearly at the end of ROTJ.

yerssot
he did, they burnt the mask

Ushgarak
Yup, seems most likely there was no body in there...

I am afraid this VERY old theory about being 'ready' for death does not work.

cookies2006
No because at the end, DV die's in lukes arms but luke still carries him out to safety to have a unhealthy death to a death(burning him).

robincooper
he hung to life so he could show luke his face!

cookies2006
Yeah but im talkin bout he didnt dissapear, but he was still a ghost guy at the end of the movie.

Rogue Jedi
i dont see a way we are going to settle this until ep.3 comes out. 2 more years.... sad

cookies2006
O'well rather wait 2 years than never see it at all.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.