In sw2, Sidious does what he tried to do in sw1

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

IGOTMYBEAT
I know a lot of people have a lot of different theories as to why Darth Sidious wanted to invade Naboo.

But I think it's pretty simple, basically two parts.

INVADE NABOO - in order to become Chancellor

Darth Sidious knew if the Trade Federation invaded Naboo there would be a lot of outrage. But he also knew the Senate was mired in beurocracy and corruption, he knew nothing would be done, not right away. He used this to illustrate, often using other people to illustrate it for him, how ineffective Chancellor Valorum was. Valorum's ineffectiveness, coupled with the suffering being endured by the peoples on Naboo would unseat the currect Chancellor, and give Palpatine the sympathy vote to become the new Chancellor.

SIGN THE TREATY - create an enemy

While the Trade Federation forces were enough to easily overpower Naboo's defenses - The Trade Federation and Sidious were weary of the Republic Navy, or some other force, some other planet retaliating for the invasion. By having Queen Amidala sign the treaty, it would temporarily legitimize the Trade Federation's occupation of Naboo. Sidious WANTED the Trade Federation to stay on Naboo, in order to make an enemy out of them.

Ofcourse the Queen never signed the treaty. So Darth Sidious was only able to accomplish 1 of his 2 objectives. Trying to make an enemy is what Darth Sidious is doing again in Episode II. By engulfing the galaxy in war, Sidious can get the EXCUSE he needs to 'temporarily' declare martial law, and 'temporarily' get full control of the military.

Last thing: Why did Sidious choose Naboo, he could've created the same circumstance with any planet.

1. He's from Naboo. The sympathy comes from Naboo supposedly being his HOMEWORLD.

2. Naboo is on the Outer Rim. Far enough away from the Core to buy Sidious and the Trade Federation time invade, occupy, and get a treaty signed, without fear of immediate retaliation.

3. In TPM Naboo is a small planet, without any army or military to speak of, and little influence in the Senate.

4. Sidious knows they've just elected a new leader, Queen Amidala, young, naive, and inexperienced.

theEviljedi
You know there is an IDENTICAL topic like this @theforce.net roll eyes (sarcastic)

Ratcat
Hmmmmm, do I smell the sweet corruption of cut and paste??? no expression

finti
Not everybody surf other forum boards EJ!

JediOasis
Thanks IGMB, I never check the other boards

Ratcat
Hey, wake up people. I think EJ's point is that IGMB didn't make the post at TF.N but has just ripped off someone elses topic from TF.N and posted it here to make himslef look smart.

If I am incorrect IGMB then I apologise.

Raz
Whoever wrote it, its good stuff!

Theres one question though....WHY!

Why would Sidious want to rule the galaxy? What is he trying to get out of it? What can he do once hes ruled the galaxy? What is his motivation??

Darth V
You are forgetting one thing, Raz.
George Lucas gets some of his inspiration from old movies like "Flash Gordon", and stuff like that. In stories like those, the evil genious NEVER has a motivation. They are pure evil.

IGOTMYBEAT
Well 1 I wrote it.

And 2 I'm trying to be good...

finti
no need for #2!

Ushgarak
The rise to legally elected dictator of Palpatine (the last half of which is still to come), especially his dissolution of the senate in Episode IV, is remarkably similar to Hitler's rise to power. This being the case, the invasion of Naboo takes the place of the burning of the Reichstag.

I'm not sure if the Trade Federation would have made a great unifying enemy, though. I think that Palpatine just wanted to confirm his greatness in office by liberating Naboo after the invasion was successful- i.e. AFTER the treaty had been signed. Those pesky Jedi messed it up for him, but he seems to have got away with it anyway.

I would imagine that he would have done what he is going to do in Episode II whether the invasion had succeeded or not. If he wants to create a galaxy-wide crisis, the TF was NOT it.

queeq
There's a problem here. If Amidala had signed the treaty, there would not be a problem for the Senate to solve. They were already arguing about the validity of the occupation accusations. So what would the treaty have benefitedm had it been signed? I doubt that Palpatine would have stepped up to say: Look here, these TF guys FORCED us to sign a treaty, please get rid of them. He would have had a very weak case, and an even weaker accusation that the invasion. And even when the invasion took place, he did NOT protest, Amidala had to come over and do it for him.

So the treaty signing thing is not very clear to me, not in the sense that it would have benefitted Palpy.

Ratcat
In that case IGMB you have my apology as promised. Good stuff.

theEviljedi
This was found @ theforce.net's forum.

What I believe Sidious plans were for Naboo as it relates to EP II

I think I have come up with a theory as to why I believe is the other reason that Sidious wanted to take control of Naboo, other than for the sympathy vote he would get as Palpatine to become the Supreme Chancellor.
I base this on the information we have been regarding EP II.
Though Palpatine gained the Supreme Chancellor position because of Naboo; however as Sidious he failed to obtain control of the planet via Amidala signing the treaty. I really believe he wanted the planet; and here is why I think so.

We already know that there are going to be more droids in EP II, including the new droids; the Super Battle droids. The droid armies were going to set up a military base there I believe. Secondly, we saw a glimpse of the technolgy of the Gungans; a type of organic technology. It is very possible that since Palpy was from Naboo; he had planned to use this means whereby which the Gungans created civilization as a means for cloning. Also, as we know that one of new planets is a water planet(Kamino, I think??), a very watery planet is somehow needed for the process of cloning. Remember that the Gungans live under water. The Gungans were somewhat amphibious; and it seems as though Poggle the Lesser(from the storyboards, seen with Dooku and the Viceroy)is also somewhat amphibious as well.

Thirdly, Naboo seemed to a very wealthy planet, as in evidence by Theed City. It would have been from Naboo, with all its wealth and resources that Sidious(Palpy)would have financed the droid and clone buildup.

To further give evidence that this may have some validity to it; before the battle began at Naboo and Sidious was told by the Neimodians that the Gungans were gathering for battle. He kinda got a smile and commented that "This work into our plans; Wipe them out, all of them"! Now of course to himself he was also referring to becoming the Supreme Chancellor for which the Neimodians knew nothing of; however, I do believe they knew of the plan for controlling Naboo.

Whereas the Viceroy failed, Dooku will succeed. Now as far as plans for Naboo in EP II and beyond remains to be seen; however; I would like to believe Palpy/Sidious still has plans for his home planet, if nothing else but to bankrupt it and use it to get revenge on Amidala for foiling his plans at that time.

queeq
Quite an extensive theory you found EJ. If it's true, than old GL has set up quite an intricate intrigue for Palpy. Sounds impressive, but maybe it's too intricate. We'll see.

finti

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.