Here In England Everyones Talking About Harry Potter

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

LOTRCRAZYGIRL
GEEEZ CANT I FIND ANY ONE IN ENGLAND WHO LIKES LOTR, HONEST HERE ITS LIKE HARRY POTTER THIS HARRY POTTER THAT. NOT TO MENTION PEOPLE THINK THAT LOTR AND HP ARE THE SAME.

KNOW WY NOT LOTR THIS LOTR THAT

aragorniscool45
i LOVE LOTR!!!!!!!

tiger lilly
hey i am totally obsessed with lotr, i love it love it love it! im also a big harry potter fan but theyre totally not the same... lotr is soooo intense, but in a very good way, harry's just a lil light relief.... in my opinion.... doubt anyone agrees with me, loada ppl i talk to are into either one or the other but not both... weird... confused

LOTRCRAZYGIRL
you know some people say that lotr and hp are the same their completely different

Catch 22
Uh, no they're not...

Oh, and can I just say one other thing. PUNCTUATION PEOPLE!!! roll eyes (sarcastic)

Nefertite
LotR movies are made much better than Harry Potter's.
I'm a fun of Harry Potter too but still I think that LotR books is better than HP books. But HP books are much better than HP movies. roll eyes (sarcastic)

LOTRCRAZYGIRL
well i dont know what esle to say, so lets talk about lotr and stuff

Nefertite
Yeah!

Dexx
i can't say i'm obsessed woith lotr. I just like it better because it has a message (somewhat). You should see the subways in canada. Everyone's reading the 5th book. i tried to but i really didn't like it.
The movies are ok for watching ONCE..and let's admit it. it's a nice kid story.
But..lotr...different league

Nefertite
I think that LotR books are more sireous than HP books. It looks that the Middle Eath had exist many years ago. It's like History books.

But I'm a fan of HP books too. Writer is very creative. The story is quite original wink

LilyGinnyBlack
I'm a fan of both Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings. I love them both! big grin Though Lord of the Rings is better and more intense and has a more complex plot rather then HP. Also, Dexx, did you read the other four Harry Potter books before you tried to read OotP, or did you just start reading OotP and didn't bother with the other four? That may be why you didn't get into it because the Harry Potter books are an on going series that entwine with one another. They aren't just books that can be read along, you need to read the earlier ones to understand the later ones. That is except for CoS, you can read that without reading SS/PS. Just wanted to know! big grin

P-NuT
its because they have english accents. i am not sure but was it set in england.

Smllfry247
people here dont care about either most peopel like star wars

Darth Alterous
HP is ok, but the Middle-Earth series are better.
Any, LotR vs HP:

All of HP vs Morgoth, Sauron and Gandalf. The three ainur will win

Dexx
no i hadn't read the previous ones. I just wanted to know how it's written, not follow the plot line. I can't say it's bad...but.....i can always find beter.

billyboyd4ever
yea i agree...plus the plot and characters dont seem incredibly original in my opinion, although jk rowling does have a lto of talent, i think she/ll get better as she nurtures it....but still both HP and LOTR are great (but of course LOTR is leagues better)

Sifer
You can't find anyone who likes LOTR in the country it was created...hrmmm - are you sure you're living in England, cause near every person I talk to has read LOTR and the majority absolutely love it (not that the others didn't, just not as much big grin)

Hrmmm Dumbledore = a creature from Middle Earth smile No shit!

chica16
LOTR ALL THE WAY

Bad Grima
LOTR is way way way WAY better than harry potter. harry potter isn't even good at all. there is no comparison. LOTR is the best movie ever! case closed. smokin'

billyboyd4ever
yea, plus HP doesnt have ANY good looking guys in it where as in LOTR there's tons! hehehhe love love love

iluvlotr!
I am a HUGE LotR fan!

All Harry Potter fans shall be thrown to the mercy of Sauron!!

LilyGinnyBlack
But what if you are a Lord of the Rings fan and a Harry Potter fan like me??? sad You wouldn't throw a Lord of the Rings fan to the mercy of Sauron would you??? No, you wouldn't. . . big grin So I'm safe. . .angel. . .right. . . Right! smile

Aragorn#1
I think HP is the dumbest thing in the world! I Hate HP hes A LOSER! Happy Dance sleep thumb down

BabyT
i like LOTR and HP big grin

Member.
funny how lotr came into existance in britain. you guys don't even appreciate your greatest work.

Verity
HP is ok...but LOTR trilogy is the best! How can u compare? Lotr is the dinner w dessert included!, and HP is just a bubble gum! wink stick out tongue

Member.
lotr is by far the better of the two. but HP isn't too shabby either.

billyboyd4ever
i think that HP is like a LOTR for kids...heheheh

Lyn
Well PpLz i like SW, HP and LOTR, they all rule!!
I love the HP books and cant wait for the 3rd film to come out or to get a chance to read the 5th book.
LOTR is one of those epics that you'll never forget and i'll be very sad when the final film comes and goes.
Same with SW!!

Hypernova
Me too Lyn sad

aniron
I hate hp because it is just a copy lol , but i dont think we should waste or energy to talk about it

Tricksy Hobbit
I'm in the UK and I am mad about LOTR (obviously, hence my presence here!). My work mates have banned me talking about it though embarrasment

HP is ok if you're 10 years old.

Exa
... exactly what I wanted to say big grin

Izz
Yes, HP kind of is for kids. But I like it, especially the books. They're more simple than LotR, but I find them very enjoyable. They are alike in a lot of ways, which means Rowling copied things from Tolkien. Examples:
You've got one bad, big Lord (Sauron and Voldemort), who both have kind of died, but not really.
You've got a close gang around that Lord (Nazgul and Death Eaters)
You've got one hero, who isn't a typical hero (Frodo and Harry)
You've got one very inteligent old wizard with a long beard(Gandalf and Dumbledore)
You've got things in which the lord is preserved in some kind of way(Ring and a diary)

Well that's quite a lot already.
One thing I always have to laugh about too: in SW The Attack of the Clones Christopher Lee says something like 'Join me, it would be wise', and it's so much alike with that scene in FotR! big grin

Camellia
It doesn't matter whether the actors are good looking or not, the fact is that LOTR is just better! LOL! Although, I still like Harry Potter, and it is clear that Rowling was inspired by Tolkien's works!

But then again.....Tolkien was inspired by other people too. Although I must admit that some of the similarities are ridiculous - e.g. Both Frodo and Harry being orphans and Wormtongue and Wormtail - it should be expected that some ideas are the same.

Even LOTR - if looked at with no depth, is just another good vs. evil tale. NOW DON'T CRITICISE WHAT I HAVE JUST SAID! Because that is not what I think of The Lord of the Rings - there is clearly more to it than the battle of good vs. evil, although this is clearly a huge element in the story.

Basically, I love both stories, although I love/worship/die for The Lord of the Rings about 2000 fold more! And I agree with what *tiger lily* said: LotR is intense, deeper, darker, overall more powerful. Whereas, HP is lighter, happier (despite the dark themes) and not so deep.

What I love about Tolkien's works is the whole creation of Middle-earth and how Tolkien was commited to that world for basically all of his life. There is more to the story than just the main plot, with the reader discovering more about the history of Middle-earth and the creation of the world. I also like the way Tolkien puts in little snippets in the conversations the hobbits have about events that have happened in the Shire/the inhabitants which are not referred to in the book. This makes the whole thing seem more historical.

That's the difference: HP is plain story telling, TLotR is a historical and magical masterpiece.

Overall, The Lord of the Rings is so so so so SO much better. Bless you Professor Tolkien! big grin

AnakinFan
I am a Star Wars fan, a Lord of the Rings fan and somewhat a Harry Potter fan.
What do JarJar Binks and Doby have in common? They both suck and they both should have never been put in the movies.

While I think LOTR's never misses, both Star Wars and HP have thrown a few misses. I didn't like the last HP movie, the sets weren't as big and I thought both Ron and Harry over acted. JMO.

If I was told I could watch 2 of the 3 movies, which one would I watch? No contest LOTR's and SW's. Who is my favorite leading man? No contest, Hayden Christensen...

Izz
I agree with you Camellia.

And Anakinfan: Jar Jar was a bit too much, but Dobby was allright. And Ron ALWAYS overacts, it really irritates me. In the movies he looks like some stupid guy who's always afraid.

~fuoco~
i really like both Harry Potter and LOTR, but i find HP books better... LOTR books are kinda slow... but still good!! Just more difficult to read

drunk_nazgul
Hehe Funny, fuoco...
Okay, see, I like LotR a LOT more than HP. They really needed that sword thing in there to compare w/ LotR. Don't get me wrong, Rowling is a great writer, but how can nobody see how perfectly LotR was written? Nothing less than genius. HP is just another try at actually getting there.

AnakinFan
Nothing against HP but Tolkien was a master, of fanstasy, language and the written word. Tolkien appeals to all generations. HP is more of a youth orientated work.
It's funny but I never considered the two to be in the same class, HP is watch worthy but I'd never stand in line to buy a ticket, actually I've never seen either of the HP movies on the big screen. I've seen FOTR 3 times in the movie and the same with TTT.. and thats saying alot because I'm cheap!

drunk_nazgul
LotR rules... HP is the name of a computer.

elchip
They're not entirely for little kids. I assumed they were crap, but finally decided to read them, and enjoyed them quite a bit. I'm 22. Off the top of my head, I know my 20-year old brother has read them; my 23-year old friend and his 20-year old wife; and my friend's 20-year old fiance. They're actually reasonably popular among the college-age crowd.

The movies were pretty godawful though, and LOTR is better overall.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.