The Ethical Problem with cloning

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

ELVISFCK
Do you think George Lucas will let that play out?

From all I've read so far, much if not all the hesitation by the Senate to clone their own troops come from whether or not war is imminent, or whether or not the Jedi are enough to defend the Republic.

Personally, I can't see how George Lucas could let the ethical angle of all this play out, simply because it would take all the fun out of the Original Trilogy. But by the same token, I can't see how he could not.

What I mean is it was fun to see the stormtroopers as bad guys. Even evil clones if you want to look at it that way. But to have any honest discussion about clones, it might lead people to feel sorry for the stormtroopers instead. And that's no fun.

Raz
Maybe ethics does come into play....whose to say anyone is for a clone army anyway?
Maybe Palpy rigs the votes.......I guess we will have to wait and see what George has got planned for us...

Ratcat
Where's the fun it that?

COREWORLD
I think that the Stormtrooper's start out as clones, but when we get to the OT, there will be more conscripts, maybe the clones don't survive the clone wars, they are all wiped out by some bacterial agent and the cloning technology is destroyed, otherwise why didn't the rebel alliance try to get it's hand's on the technology to create more troops for themselves? No, i'm pretty certain that something will halt the process of cloning as a result/because of the war.

Gundark
I don't think the rebel alliance would have wanted to obtain the cloning process as they operate more on a volunteer system rather than forcing people into service like the empire.

JediOasis
I agree with Gundie on this one. The Rebels are all about "equal rights" and clones just wouldn't work out for them. I think that the stormtroopers will end up being clones, at least most of them. I am sure there are some volunteer troops in their somewhere.

theEviljedi
*Warning: Democrats Please Do Not Read* laughing out loud

Maybe he'll be stubborn like Gore and demand a recount until he wins. laughing out loud

finti
I thought the stormtroopers where a mixture of forced soldering and conscripts. Remember Biggs he went Awol on the imperial academy. If the stormtroopers were clones they would just overwhelm the enemy in the end. If that is so it wouldn`t have ended with the battle of Endor.

COREWORLD
Yeah, this is what i was thinking too, Finti. I see the other viewpoints , but i think that GL is gonna do something really left field when it comes to the Clone Wars.To get impressionable new cannon fodder,i guess that they would run a recruitment drive, painting out Stormtrooper life to be one of excitement and adventure on far flung worlds and once these raw recruits are gathered together, they are whipped off to Caridia and then 'conditioned' into being the faceless soldiers of the Empire that they become.

Gundark
I think the definitive word there is "faceless", CW. They unmasked the big guy at the end, but you never ever see a stormtrooper without a helmet. I think GL did it that way to elimate cloning questions in the OT. And in ANH, don't ya wonder how long it took Luke and Han to wiggle those guys out of those body gloves and armour and wiggle into them ? I guess Ben and Chewie took a nap. laughing out loud

Lugi207
Personally, i don't think the stormtroopers are clones because in ROTJ,that officer guy was telling Vader that he needed more men. If they were all clones, he could just clone more workers.

IGOTMYBEAT
Well look, why did Palpatine want all these clones anyway?

Because you can't knock them all out by taking out their control ship, but at the same time you can manufacture an infinite amount. You get all the perks of them being droids, without many of the drawbacks.

So basically he clones troops so he has more than enough, but if somebody wants to join the Imperial Army, nobody is going to want to stop you. Palpatine would probably want as big an army as possible, so if your dream is to become a stormtrooper, feel free, if you're good enough.

My point is I'm sure in an army of millions of stormtroopers, there's a few normal people in there somewhere.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.