An Oscar Performance?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

AliasNeo15
In your opinion, does the Matrix: Reloaded/Revolutions have a good chance to win an Oscar?

nickjs21
visual effects, yes. anything else, no (except for something little like editing or costumes or whatever).

AliasNeo15
wut about Original Score?

nickjs21
was it an original score? i thought most of that music already existed. but even if it was elligible for original score (it could be, i don't know), i doubt the academy cares much for techno music.

DRvoodoo
its not all about the music ...its about the ideas and ...well ...look at all these threads about it smile

AliasNeo15
Well I still think that it's original, cus I havnt heard it anywhere else

ToMacco
The Matrix win Oscars? eek! laughing out loud eek! laughing out loud eek!

Oh Christ, I'm going to be sick sick sick sick

Actually it could take one home for special effects. But the Matrix movies is quite possibly the biggest collaboration of horrible actors in holywood history.

AliasNeo15
I beg the differ, maybe that commander Locke guy was terrible and maybe Will Smith's wife was bad too, but everyone else were pretty good. Keanu Reeves is da bomb. smile beer beer

BackFire349
never

chica16
i think it might win for visuals. but thats it... just like how LOTR will get snubbed again this year... the academy sucks

AliasNeo15
very true wink

nickjs21
listen, if you're gonna stand by your opinion that the matrix deserves OSCARS other than effects, and go so far as to give kudos to keanu's acting . . . than that's slightly fanatical.

i mean . . . it's KEANU REEVES. yeesh. if he wins an oscar, i'm speeding to church to make peace with my maker before the world ends.

Evil Dead
#1. Reloaded will probably win a few non-televised Oscars........just like they did last time with the first movie.

#2. Cast win Oscars? Hell no..........The Academy only recognizes girly type movies most of the time........long drawn out love stories or dramas in general. If you have an action scene in your movie, you won't even be nominated.

#3. Are the actors bad? No........except Carrie Anne Moss.......I havn't seen her in anything else that I can recall and she doesn't impress me much in the Matrix.

Keanu Reeves.........Versatile.........he can play Ted Logan in the Bill and Ted movies ......or play in stupid sweet drama movies like A Walk in the Clouds............he can play characters like Kevin Lomax in the Devil's Advocate...........and he can play dry roles like Neo.......very wide range he has.

Larry Fishburn........Great Actor.......watch the movies: Boyz in the Hood, A Nightmare on Elm St. 3, Always Outnumbered Always Outgunned, Deep Cover............Morpheus is actually the worst role he's ever played.

Jada Pinkett........she was decent in Demon Knight I guess.....other than that , the only reason you even know her name is because she is married to Will Smith.

Hugo Weaving..........I like him.........dry delivery.....good actor.

Seraph
the academy sucks indeed!!
i dont think m2 or m3 will get oscars for visual effects. GOLLUM WILL TAKE ITwink I mean, i think the LOTR (ROTK) visual effects are much better than the matrix-effects.
Maybe they got some awards for the script or the soundeffects..

Seraph

Kes
Originally posted by Evil Dead
#2. Cast win Oscars? Hell no..........The Academy only recognizes girly type movies most of the time........long drawn out love stories or dramas in general. If you have an action scene in your movie, you won't even be nominated.

Lots of movies with action scenes have won Oscars.

Keanu Reeves.........Versatile.........he can play Ted Logan in the Bill and Ted movies ......or play in stupid sweet drama movies like A Walk in the Clouds............he can play characters like Kevin Lomax in the Devil's Advocate...........and he can play dry roles like Neo.......very wide range he has.

If he could just stop saying "wow"! lol

I dont think they win the major ones. If the 1st movie didn't this wont either. Maybe special effects and sound.

AliasNeo15
I still believe that it can win more then just sound. Plus, think of another movie coming out this year for the Oscars that has a better actor then what Keanu did in Reloaded. Maybe versatile, but he also put out a good performance in this movie.

Korri
nobody else could play the part of neo...the film wudnt be the same without him *sigh* love

AliasNeo15
ya, who else would play it, Alex Winter from Bill and Ted?

Kes
You guys say that cos you saw the movie with him and know cant see anybody else doing it. Thats all.

Korri
ok kes who else do u think would make a good neo?

AliasNeo15
John Goodman?

Korri
Llaughing out loudL nah the film wudnt be the same without keanu

Kes
I dont know. But i think I would have liked the movie with some other actor playing Neo. He is not want makes the movie good. Did you know will smith was supposed to do it?

AliasNeo15
u know, we would probly be having the same convo if Will Smith was Neo and we were talking about Keanu maybe being Neo. It is a good point.

Kes
yehsmile

Korri
keanu rocks love

AliasNeo15
Yes. Becus of his overall backround, I would say this is the first movie that caught my eye of him. I thought he was a mexican in Speed and an idiot in Bill and Ted. If you told me he was going to be a Superhero in 1995, I would think u were Bullsh%^&ing me. On the other hand, if it was Will Smith, I wouldnt be surprised becus he did fight the Aliens of the Universe in MIB.

Kes
lol A mexican?

Korri
yeah so it did him justice big grin i luv the guy now

Bad_Hair_Day
who knew of him be4 the Matrix anyway, i think only minor things or maaaybe special effects or music

Kes
I did!Very well!stick out tongue

Moosh
Laurence Fishburne and Hugo Weaving are easily the best actors in the films, but that isn't saying much. Some of Fishburne's parts in Reloaded were awful though (HIS SPEECH ACK). Weaving is even better now he is a bit more human.

As for Keanu; he tries his best, but...

AliasNeo15
wut the Fu&^ does that mean!!!

LOL laughing out loud
JK smile

nickjs21
it means keanu reeves is a god-awful actor. to say otherwise is nonsense. "Think of another movie coming out this year for the Oscars that has a better actor then what Keanu did in Reloaded." WHAT? anything! my dog could act better than keanu reeves. you can't be serious when you say he's versatile, either. go back and watch every single movie he's ever been in . . . SAME f*cking character. same facial expressions, same voice. and whoever pointed out that he did a great job acting "dry" for his role as neo, you fail to notice that he's dry for every role he's ever done in his life. save for maybe in bill and ted. but do you know why he seemed so natural in that movie? because that's just how he really is! he dropped out of acting school, so what do you expect?

i saw carrie-ann moss in memento. it was a pretty good flick. she acted better in that one than she did in the matrix, but she's still not that great. weaving and fishburne are pretty accomplished actors, and probably the finest on the cast (although i agree with the comment on that zion speech).

the matrix isn't gonna get snubbed because the academy is biased against action flicks. it's gonna get snubbed because it won't deserve to win anything other than the minor stuff like visual effects. did you walk out of m1 going, "wow, what an amazing screenplay," or did you walk out saying, "those special effects kicked ass!" the academy doesn't award the latter so much as the former.

and the academy doesn't suck just because the matrix won't win. to say that is nothing short of stubborn ignorance. the academy just holds higher standards and, yes, prefers more "arty" flicks that pull the heartstrings. but every best picture movie i've seen deserved it (save for shakespeare in love over saving private ryan). and, btw, gladiator won best picture -- and obviously that is an action movie.

listen, i love the matrix. it blew me away. but it won't win. and keanu did not do a good acting job. those are just facts.

Evil Dead
Oh okay.......he has no acting chops whatsoever.......I take it you don't watch many movies then.........

The Devil's Advocate.........Keanu Reeves plays a Georgia lawyer put into the big city of New York.........

Point Break.........Keanu plays a California surfer guy type character....except he's a cop, kind of like Don Johnson's role in Miami Vice....except with a little more youth.

The Gift.........Keanu plays a wife beating redneck who looks and sounds as if he was born and imbred in the mountains of Virginia......think Brad Pitt in the movie Kalifornia if you havn't seen Keanu's perfromance in The Gift.

Parenthood/Bill and Ted movies.......Keanu plays basically the same character as both Todd and Ted,......teenage slacker who wants nothing more than to have a good time......not too bright surfer/skateboarder types (even though he does neither in either movie....just using that as a stereotype of the personality of the character).

Sweet November and A Walk in the Clouds...........both chick movies.....plays basically the same dramatic "I love you" type romantic characters........makes me puke.

those are just a few examples............yeah, all those characters are pretty similar alright < /sarcasm >

If you can honestly say that if Keanu Reeves had played the Neo character like he played the Ted Logan character, The Matrix would have been the same movie.......you are out of your mind. Or if he played the same role in "The Replacements" as he did in "The Devil's Advocate" that the movie would have been the same.........you are nuts.

You don't like Keanu Reeves.........fine.......your perogotive.......I cannot fathom why you bash his acting skills though just because you don't like him.........he made $80million + for his role in Reloaded and Revolutions......he must be doing something right........when is the last time you made $80 to do an acting job, much less $80 million. I don't like Kevin Spacey........but he can act.....I don't like Garth Brooks music but I'm not assinine enough to say he can't sing well.......he must be able to sing pretty damn well to have made all the money he has at it.......just because those performers aren't my cup of tea doesn't take away from their abilities.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Oscars usually do pick great movies to win picture of the year........they do however shun great roles just because they don't like the movies. Look at Jim Carey's role as Andy Kaufman in "man on the moon"........Oscar worthy performance.......great acting job......nailed Kaufman dead on.........was he even nominated? Hell no........not because his acting performance wasn't great, because Jim Carey is a comedian who has also played in movies like Dumb and Dumber and Ace Ventura. Oscars should be about individual performances........not careers. Actors should not be omitted from nominations simply because they have played lesser roles in the past. If Keanu Reeves had played Kevin Spacey's role in "American Beauty" he would not have been nominated...........simply because he had played Ted Logan in the Bill and Ted movies.

By the way........Gladiator was not an action flick......it was a drama. It was the story of one man's tribulations in overcoming all odds to avenge the deaths of his wife and children. Now T2:Judgement Day, that is an action film.......

and Gladiator did deserve to win the Oscar.........it was a great movie.......I can't stand Russel Crowe, he's a pompus ass, but that movie was great and he acted his ass off in it.

Stovenutts
yea and neo is alot like his role in bill and ted...cough cough

Korri
he is not a gawd-awful actor sad

Kes
Originally posted by Evil Dead

The Oscars usually do pick great movies to win picture of the year........they do however shun great roles just because they don't like the movies. Look at Jim Carey's role as Andy Kaufman in "man on the moon"........Oscar worthy performance.......great acting job......nailed Kaufman dead on.........was he even nominated? Hell no........not because his acting performance wasn't great, because Jim Carey is a comedian who has also played in movies like Dumb and Dumber and Ace Ventura. Oscars should be about individual performances........not careers. Actors should not be omitted from nominations simply because they have played lesser roles in the past. If Keanu Reeves had played Kevin Spacey's role in "American Beauty" he would not have been nominated...........simply because he had played Ted Logan in the Bill and Ted movies.

I dont agree. Lots of good performance have gone unnoticed. I dont think it has anything to do with the actors previous work.
Every actor has crappy movies in his/hers carreer.I mean Tom Hanks is a comedian.
Yes sometimes the academie does give out bad oscares like any oscar Shakespear (sp) in love won.messed

By the way........Gladiator was not an action flick......it was a drama. It was the story of one man's tribulations in overcoming all odds to avenge the deaths of his wife and children... and Gladiator did deserve to win the Oscar.........it was a great movie.......I can't stand Russel Crowe, he's a pompus ass, but that movie was great and he acted his ass off in it.

Gladiators core story is a drama but it has lots of action. Just look at the biginnig.

Kes
I think the Matrix has a great script. Very new (at the time) with lots of links to several different things (like religion and stuff) and a new idea. But the action did make the movie great. And not the script.
The problem is lots of ppl didn't understand it. Maybe the juries were some of does stick out tongue

Also think what movies were around that year. (i dont remember thou messed )

Korri
hey and i know the 1st one of by heart.....oh dear i AM sad :O

nickjs21
evil dead: i didn't say keanu's scripted role is the same in every movie. i said it's the same character. he delivers every line in every movie he's in like he's reading a cue card. and i have seen those movies, for your information. so yes, i do watch a fair number. his acting remains sub-par in each one. the number of movies you're in has nothing to do with whether or not you're a good actor. in fact, seeing as keanu IS in so many movies and can't develop his acting skills (wow, he donned a redneck accent. fantabulous) just goes to show he really doesn't have much talent.

go watch the scene where he talks to the oracle on the park bench. watch it, then come back and tell me he's a good actor. if you can say that, you're missing something. or watch any scene, like the burly brawl, where neo talks to smith. the difference in their acting abilities is monumental.

of course he's making money off the matrix. because the MATRIX makes money. revenue doesn't automatically excuse anything in a movie. the phantom menace made a boatload of cash. that doesn't make jar jar any less annoying. britney spears has more money than i can think of. that doesn't mean she's a good singer.

i guess the ultimate test of an actor's talent is whether or not his peers recognize it (by awards) instead of his fans (by making him rich). kevin spacey has won a lot of awards. even jim carrey won a golden globe for man on the moon. i can't recall keanu reeves getting nominated for anything prestigious. ever. correct me if i'm wrong. and mtv movie awards don't count. but he has been nominated about 5 times for "worst actor" by the razzie awards.

on a side note, i think (well, i'm sure) that the academy has a bias against comedies. which is a shame, because jim carrey is a good actor, in my opinion.

Evil Dead
Fans are what count..........we decide who is a good actor or not.......not Academy members.............if a person can't act, we don't go see his movies........that simple............

I don't need the Academy to tell me that Mel Gibson is a good actor.......I've got movies like Mad Max , Lethal Weapon, and the Patriot to tell me he is.

I don't need the Academy to tell me that Samual L. Jackson is a good actor.......I've got movies like Pulp Fiction, Jackie Brown, and Unbreakable to tell me he is.

I didn't need the academy to tell me that Sir Anthony Hopkins is a good actor..........so he's won Oscars, big deal.......I would still think him to be a great actor even if he hadn't.

I don't need the Academy to tell me that Keanu Reeves is a good actor.........I've got movies like The Devil's Advocate, Speed, and yes even the Bill and Ted movies to tell me he is................

You don't think Brittany Spears is a good singer? what the hell? I can't stand her either...........I would never listen to her music but come on, can you be any more egotistical as to think that your opinion and your opinion alone is what qualifies performers as being good or not? The girl is rolling in the money............they don't pay her a shitload of money because she can't sing. People don't buy all her albums because she can't sing.................you are very egotistical my friend...........the rest of the world loves her but you dislike her music so you say she has no talent............why does your opinion outweigh those 10 million people's opinions who bought her last album?

Kes
Evil Dead> A person being famous as nothing to do with talent. He is good looking and cool which equals famous. (same goes for Spears pop music is very appealing specially for teens, she still sucks!)

Kes
Most don't make it but he did and for that I congratulate him.

nickjs21
evil dead, you fail to realize that britney spears really can't sing. it's a fact. she lip-synchs. my ego does not change the fact that she lip-synchs. she doesn't write her songs, either. so her talent lies in dancing and looking pretty. i don't think those should be qualifications for selling albums, but that's neither here nor there.

and kes put it nicely. talent won't automatically make you famous, and being famous won't automatically mean you're talented. i don't see where my ego plays into that.

and no, i don't agree that the fans are the last word on the talent of an actor. because we're not actors. i would think people that make their living acting can spot talent better than i can, and they award it accordingly. you chuck around all this ego talk, but here you are saying you are a better judge of talent than an entire board of professional actors. that's just illogical.

i have nothing against keanu reeves, the man. so this isn't some kind of "i don't like keanu so his acting must suck" rant, like you said. in fact, he seems pretty cool based on the interviews i've seen. but i don't think he's a good actor.

and you're statement, "if a person can't act, we don't go see his movies" is false. i personally like arnold schwarzeneggar, but i don't think he's the creme of the acting crop, either. that doesn't change the fact that everyone goes to see his movies. sly stallone can't act. he's rich. and you know what? keanu reeves doesn't have a reputation for starring in movies that a ton of people go to see. besides the matrix, speed, and maybe devil's advocate, most of his movies are flops. and i think most people went to the matrix and speed for the big-budget action, and most people went to see devil's advocate for al pacino.

so, just answer this egomaniac's question: do you think keanu reeves is going to get an oscar for m2? that is the original topic.

AliasNeo15
no

AliasNeo15
i just meant the entire film

Korri
im keanu's biggest fan big grin

AliasNeo15
no, i amthumb up

gabimr2
all of you are rong!!!
Iam the biggest keanu's fan!!!!!!!! cool big grin big grin

matrix matriix matriixx matrixx!! keanu keanu keanu!! Happy Dance Happy Dance

.. es mi novioo ..pero el no sabee! smile yo se los ganee..primero a
ustedes dos stick out tongue jep! smile

AliasNeo15
no, i am the biggest. Ud be scared if u walked in my room and saw what is on the walls. Hav u ever seen "One hour Photo"?

AsthmaticZero
Regardless of whether or not you guys (and girls) are done talking about this, I'm going to throw in my two cents. I don't think that Keanu Reeves is a great actor, but I love his acting. He doesn't need to be a good actor for his role as Neo, because the script requires him to act like he does. Neo is supposed to be a dumbfounded character. He is written like that so that the audience can relate. We discover things as he does; it's how the story is told. Honestly, I don't think that anybody else could play Neo. Because you are right (whoever first said it), Keanu does not play different characters; he plays HIMSELF. He is Neo. That's why he is so convincing (or not convincing) at playing him. You know, I believe that The Wachowski Bros. wrote that part FOR Keanu Reeves. I read somewhere that Warner Bros. would not buy The Matrix until the Wachowski's convinced Keanu to do it. By the way, just because I don't think that Keanu is a great actor, doesn't mean that he isn't one of my favorite actors. I love The Matrix, and everything about it. But that is by choice, not because of obsession (which some of you seem to have). I love The Matrix because everything about it just seems cool to me. I don't need to say that just because "Oh my god, it's the Matrix, rah rah rah..." I mean, I bought 'Enter the Matrix' the day it came out, played through it, and enjoyed it. But that does not stop me from saying that I think it is one of the crappiest games that I have played. And it is. I don't know where this is going....

To answer the topic question... No. I don't think that Reloaded could win anything save effects, editing, etc...

Kes
AsthmathicZero> Keanu was not the 1st choice. Ewan Macgregor (sp) and Will Smith were. Don't know the order exactly could have been Smith than Ewan stick out tongue

Korri
i AM keanu's BIGGEST fan my dear friend clispin will back me up here CLISPIN DEAR WHERE R U?big grin

clispin
i agree wi kes. i dont know about an oscar maybe but i dunno.

Korri
r u even listening 2 me...PUT UR HEARING AID IN!!!!!!

clispin
oh yes she is totally and completely. she goes on and on and on and on and on and on..... seriously it drives me crazy

Korri
and there proof....no1 can argue with that big grin

clispin
lol sorry korri

scifigunslinger
Hey Korri did you ever get my message?

Korri
yup i replied ages ago

nopy
STOP CUSSIN KEANU FOR BEING IN BILL AND TED

gabimr2
no, i am the biggest. Ud be scared if u walked in my room and saw what is on the walls. Hav u ever seen "One hour Photo"?
(alias neo)

Oh my God!! yes i have seen that moviee!! all that photos!!
so.. all the walls of your room ..are complete of keanu reeves???
WOoooooooooooooooooooW!!!
i want you'r room!!!! sad sad sad

so cooL! Happy Dance

Kes
gabimr2 when you want to quote someone all you have to do is press the quote button on the post that has the quote you want. Its at the end next to the EDIt buttonsmile
But seriously...Oscars.....Do they deserve them or not?

Korri
not if i get there first big grin

chica16
1. i don't think they deserve oscars because acting in that kind of movie isn't 'oscar-type' acting
2. movies like the matrix that are kind of 'sci-fi' and so on don't win for anything but special effects... that's just the way it goes

AliasNeo15
and if they dont win the special effects, i wouldnt be surprised cus everyone says that LOTR might win. i would like it if they pulled off a win though.

chica16
it could be close..

Deimos_2003
Matrix2 won't win anything for acting - most are either incredibly dull, serious characters or (as AsthmaticZero said) meant to be confused and dumbfounded (it can't escape my notice that in most of his roles Keanu plays this kind of character; the guy can't act).

It might pick something up for original screenplay or something like that but to be honest, it's a very middle-of-the-road action flick and the Academy prefers to pick less popular films anyway. I think it will get something for special effects or something - there'd be a riot if it got nothing big grin

Deimos

P-NuT
Possible Oscars...

Visual Effects
Sound Editing
Best Sound
Film Editing
Cinematography

Korri
ill tell u know it defin8ly deserves one!!

nickjs21
*sigh*

you keanu fangeeks are a little too much . . .

cuppy, release the "caps lock" button. no one's cussing reeves for being in bill and ted. i loved bill and ted ("69, dude! *air guitar*"wink, i was just making a point that his character in that movie isn't more than a short jump away from all his other roles.

y'know, aliasneo, you make a good point about lotr. the final battle was very impressive, IMHO. i'd be happy if either movie won the effects award, because they were both good.

Korri
yeah....if i had 2 say one film of his i didnt like it would be The Devils Advocate

pslice
special fx and maybe screenplay

Korri
ya

nickjs21
nothing against the matrix, pslice, but i'll wager my left arm that it won't win screenplay. whether or not it's deserving, an action movie like the matrix will never win an award in that type of category. screenplay almost always goes to movies with lots of dialogue, little action. like good will hunting (not a bash on that movie, either, cuz i loved it).

but with the amount of philosophical whatnot in m2, i guess we'll have to wait and see.

Korri
*sigh* thats such a shame coz it deffinatlry deserves it sad

Ikobe
You forgot Laurence was also in Apoc. Now smile
Jada was in Demon Knight? Oh yeah, come to think about it... heh, I loved that movie, it was so crap, it rocked. And Hugo... well, he's Hugo. Mmm. Would write a load of drool about Keanu but I've already done that in another post or million!

~Iko

Korri
lol same here Ikobe same here Llaughing out loudL

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.