Signs

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Nefertite
Have you seen Signs it's really scary movie! sickIt's about allians!

TedO
Okay, Signs was not scary in the least. To me, it was more of a thinker movie than a scary movie. Sure, lots of people were freaked out about this movie, but I just couldn't see why. LIke I said, it's more of a thinker than a scary.

Kes
Yeh. I dont think its scary. But i liked it thou. smile

BackFire349
agreed. not really scary. has some creepy moments. but its a great movie none the less.

Nefertite
Some scenes was even funny cool smile
Like with glasses smile

Evil Dead
This movie sucked................not only was it not scary, it wasn't even about aliens............

The term "signs" in and ofitself as title is in reference to Mel Gibson's character turning his back on God and losing his faith.....and the SIGNS God gives him in leading him back to his faith.........the movie was about religion, aliens were merely a plot device thrown in to move the story along from one sign to the next......which ofcourse allowed the religious tale to unfold.

God this movie was horrible.........

Metroplex
I think this movie was good. I like M. night Shayamans(sp) movies. They involve some thinking and they have really good endings Ex: Sixth Sense, Unbreakable. It wasn't too scary, but there were some pop scenes that made people in the theater scream smile

Kes
I like the birthparty scene. The kid his saying its by the garage or something like that and then the alien shows up! that was cool!

BackFire349
the title can be taken a number of ways. there is no definite answer to what signs it is reffering too. yes it has some religion in it, but i do not at all think its 'about' religion.

Metroplex
I think the title signs refer to the crop circles and also to the signs that the priest saw at the end of the movie.

KidRock
Its was ok. It did have a few parts that just popped up at you. I wish they got you show you the Army and people fighting the aliens. That would have been good!

Gundark
This movie totally FREAKED me out. I laid in bed all night staring at the doorway. I was scared to DEATH !!!

Although the aliens suffered from what Ush and I lovingly call SAS.

Stupid Alien Syndrome.

They could fly a saucer through the millions of miles of cosmos yet couldn't get through an old basement door..... yeesh....give me a break.

Metroplex
ROFL SAS.

Well the boy explained that the aliens would fight hand to hand combat first. So they didnt bring any weapons save the gas. So i guess they had to resort to primitive ways to enter the basement.

TedO
I think they just weren't able to get in. They baracided themselves in pretty good, and they didn't have the weapons with them at the time, so they tried to sneak in. Just my two cents, lord only knows if it's true.

kruegerKid
I think overall the movie was ok, overhyped, but ok. It was definately not scary though I would classify it more of a suspense thriller. The part that ruined it for me though was the ending, I thought that was the stupidest thing. You would think that such an advanced race would study our planet before they tried to take it. If they had they would have know about our change in seasons and avoided wasting their time.

BackFire349
i loved the ending. good to see m.night not try to pull the rug out from under us completely by exposing something ridiculous about the characters in the closing moments.

Evil Dead
Best review of Signs I've ever read...............Maddox is a god among men.

Click here for the review (great read):

http://maddox.xmission.com/signs.html

The()ne
You guys are just trying to act tough. I know that deep down, this movie scared the shiz out of all of you. Oh yeah...SIGNS RULES!!! Can't wait for Night's next movie "The Woods".

BackFire349
no maddox is an idiot. every movie has inconsistancies, especially sci fi and horror films, it is in their nature, thats why they are called sci fi, because something like that can not happen in real life at this time.

every movie can be broken down to seem exceedingly simple and stupid to a point. its not like maddox is the only person to see the hiccups he mentioned in his little cartoon review. although he does seem to be the only person stupid enough to judge a whole movie by the simplification of it. the ending was great, i hate endings to movies where something seemingly important yet random is thrown in at the last moment to gain some kind of sense of closure. this was the problem with m. nights other movies. he tried to hard to pull the rug out from under us. in signs, he leaves it to us to pull the rug from under ourselves by leaving some things to the viewers imagination.

as far as this maddox character goes, on closer evaluation, i find that my statement about him being an idiot is even truer then i thought. he seems to just go against the norm for the sake of being a provokatuer. his complaints and greavences dont seem to be very rational. he just seems to be saying things in order to cop a response from people. however, he did say queen of the damned is the worst movie of all time, i have to agree with that one. anyways. to show you how easy it is to pick apart something and make it seem completely stupid, i will do to maddox's cartoon review, the same thing he did to signs....

MADDOX:
"im going to take all the complaints and insults ive read about the movie signs and pretend i thought them up my self, i will then make a badly drawn cartoon and insert these generic and over heard insults into said badly drawn cartoon in a pathetic attempt to seem witty and clever. i will then bash everything people like and disagree with everyone, even if i secretly agree with them, because i want attention, however, i am not smart enough to back up my statements with any feesable retort should someone send me a response exploiting my ignorance, so i will simply put on the site that anyone who disagrees with me is wrong. oh its time to go masterbate my fater while i rub K-9 fecees all over my crotch. this cannot go on my website."

see its that easy. yes, ive gone on quite a while, i was board and needed to waste some time before going to bed. again, signs > maddox

Evil Dead
You should read the hate mail section if you don't think he can back up what he says.............nobody who wants to be popular refers to Army of Darkness as the best movie ever............beyond that, everybody is entitled to their own opinion so your opinion of Maddox is as good as mine.

You were wrong though.........Sci-Fi means that it is a fictional movie, based upon the laws of science. Even if the science in a movie is fictional (Stargate), it is still based upon the fundamental laws of science.
That said, tell me which element in water actually kills the aliens in Signs. Is it hydrogen or oxygen?..........or is it the compound itself? Irrelevant really as all 3 exist abundantly in our own atmosphere........yet those aliens were walking around without any problems weren't they....................hmmmm........this movie is not Sci-fi.......it is just fiction as it appears the makers of the movie had no knowledge of science.

BackFire349
maybe the condensed combination of the gasses in water killed them. you're right, it is irrelevant. because complaining about something so silly in a movie is just nitpicking. and it was sci fi, it was based upon the laws of science. nothing out of nature happened in the movie. there were no defiance of gravity, everything that happened was somewhat possible. besides the whole aliens attacking, which is possible in principal only.

and hate male response is the easiest thing to produce. because no matter what you can make yourself look like you get the last word. of course he only posts the hate mails he can retort against. and even if the original mailer sent a response that made maddox look like a total idiot, of course he isnt going to post it. and actually, there is a very good reason why he refers to army of darkness as the best movie ever. he probably feels its somewhat of an obscure movie. and obscure movies seem to give credibility in some peoples eyes. (he also reffered to as big trouble in little china as one of the best movies ever, another attempted obscure refference to a point). he probably feels this makes him unique. by saying movies that are generally known as bad movies as his favorite, but movies that have a cult following of some sort. just a simple way to be a provokatuer, as he obviously wants to be. anyways, the man is an idiot once again, and his over simplification of signs was for the simple minded reader with no sense of how easy it is to do what he did.

Evil Dead
okay.........quick fourth grade science lesson for you here..........

Water Vapor in our air is not actually in a gaseous state........it is in a liquid state, just as the water you drink. The water particles are liquid, yet are so small that their density is less than that of air........which is why they do not fall to the ground. When enough vapor gathers together in one spot (cloud) it becomes heavy and it's density is nolonger lighter than air........it falls to the ground, we call this rain.

Now tell me how it is scientifically possible for the aliens to walk around in liquid water without any negative repercussions yet die when having water from a drinking glass poured on them?

The()ne
It was the ameba's!!! lol!

TedO
I would guess it's because it's a movie stick out tongue

BackFire349
must be harmfull only in large doses. but as i said. its just nitpicking from people who dont have any true basis for disliking the movie.

Evil Dead
gnitpicking?

A movie is only as good as the ending........if you watch a great movie and the end is just utterly unbelievable.....the movie was bad, a let down. This is why people are so pissed off over the new Star Wars movies.......because they are BAD in comparison to the original 3, hence bringing down the quality of the series as a whole.

And that is in reference to good movies..........when you put a completely unplausable ending to a mediocre movie, it utterly destroys it........

Okay.....I get it......you don't know much about science......that's fine, enjoy the movie if you want to. You know what they say, "Ignorance is Bliss"...........I don't think anybody who knows anything about science could enjoy that movie................

oh and "maybe it's only harmfull in large doses"......a glass of water is larger than our entire atmosphere?

Or how about having legs that are powerfull enough to jump 15 feet in the air but aren't powerfull enough to kick down a wooden door?

Very implausable........almost comedic.....I actually laughed when watching this movie.

The faults with the aliens can't really be blamed too much on the film makers as this movie isn't about aliens. If the movie was based on aliens, I'm sure they would have put more thought into their construction.........the fact is that this movie is about faith and religion so that is where the film maker's put all of their effort..............the aliens were merely a "B" plot device to move the story along from one scene to the next......

BackFire349
i disagree, i dont think endings are that important. because ive seen far to many movies where the movie in general was good or mediocre and had a seemingly good ending to the simple minded (fight club, usual suspects) and was praised as being a masterpiece just cuz it had a good ending. people put to much emphasis on an ending, its sad really.

oh and about the water, what i meant in large doses is that it probably only hurts them if its like compressed into liquid form and hits them all at once, so a little bit in the air wont hurt them because its not all together. im sure you understand what im saying. and its prettly laughable that you judge a movie based on science fact when the movie has nothing to do with science. thats like the comic book guy on the simpsons, judge a movie by a completely silly reason. and the door, hey, if you had a good memory you'd remember that they werent actually TRYING to get in through the door, they were mearly banging on the walls on the other side to make it sound like they were banging on the door itself. they were really searching for another way in so that the humans attention would be on the door, and they could have the element of surprise on their side.

and yes i guess ignorance is bliss, if something stupid like that is going to keep you from enjoying a very well made and generally entertaining movie, then i praise the lord that i slept through those boring science classes in high school or spent the time doing more constructive things that will actually be usefull in my life, like reading a book.

mechmoggy
Who cares about the water theory, it was a chick-flick anyway. stick out tongue

Evil Dead
1. It's not a theory......it is plainly visible in the movie that water kills aliens......it is reaffirmed when they state this fact in the movie........not a theory, fact.

2. I don't think it's a chick flick..........it's just a suspense thriller movie........I liked it up untill the aliens actually entered the picture......it was suspenseful.......then the utter disregard to making the movie believable got the better of me..........if we had gone the entire movie and never saw an alien, I think it could have been great.

3. Everybody likes different movies for different reasons........I'm one of the few people who actually think "The Rocky Horror Picture Show" was a brilliant satire............most people just look at it and laugh without knowing the context of the content. Everybody has their own opinions on movies.......I disliked Signs, Backfire liked it........no big deal.....to each his own. Some people are able to overlook flaws in the story when they are being entertained.......sadly I wasn't entertained during the movie or I might have done the same.

BackFire349
it is a theory though. if you think about it maybe it wasnt the watter that killed them. since the water was sitting in the glasses for so long, maybe it was the collection of dust that was in the water.

The()ne
Maybe it was from the germs and bacteria that is in water. Maybe the Aliens weren't immuned to it (like in War of The Worlds, lol, Meryl said that) and that's why it hurt them.

BackFire349
there you go, theres options galore

The()ne
Yep.

Kes
Well that explains the aliens in the house but what about all the others? Its swoning in the end, right? Saying that they left because of it.

BackFire349
it doenst matter, that wasnt a major plot point and any inconsistancies should be over looked in a movie like signs. so liquid water killed them but the same molecules in our atmosphere didnt. big deal. not a valid complaint at all because it is not an important aspect of the movie. is it really any less believable then some of the things in movies.

Tired Hiker
I was glad Signs delivered what it did. I thought it would be one of those movies where it ends up all being a dream or something, like you guys said, a cop out ending. I liked that it really had aliens and they really came to earth (as far as the story went), and they even showed them and it wasn't as overblown as say, Independence Day. But I must say, I didn't like the whole wife dying and bumbling a few words that don't actually make any sense until the end. I mean, come on, "Swing away, Cody" or whatever his name was. Not a cop out ending really, but I thought it would be more clever. Nonetheless, an entertaining flick. Water killed the aliens in Alien Nation as well. Ocean water that is!

mechmoggy
Did anyone in the UK see the recent crop circles that were found?

They were way cooler than any previous ones, I was so scared I went straight home and put a tin-foil hat on. embarrasment

kruegerKid
lol, lets just pretend you're kidding.....

kruegerKid
As I said earlier the movie was good until the end, whether the ending had a valid premise or not would not change the fact that it sucked. An example of this would be The Family Man, sound ending, but still sucked same with Cast Away.

Everyone keeps babbling on about scientific this, blah blah blah that, who cares, say for example it was the constant change in temp that drove them away, now although that would make sense it would still be stupid to end the movie in the way in which they did.

Then again maybe I just expect that a great movie should have a great ending, like in Night Of The Living Dead. Now that was a great movie followed by a great ending, it was even possible for that ending to happen (Givin there was such a thing as zombies).

BackFire349
it sucking is not a fact. its an opinion. i thought it was a great ending and left me completely satisfied.

TedO
I Agree with Backfire. You just aren't suposed to analyze every small detail in movies.

Korri
haha clispin screamed when he opened the door she is so silly Llaughing out loudL

kruegerKid
I'm agreeing too tedo somewhat, and sorry Backfire what I meant was that I personally didn't like the movie.

BackFire349
dont apologize, just you're opinion.

kruegerKid
Exactly, I'm just trying to make sure that is how it is viewed instead of people continuously thinking I'm trying to bash them in one way or another.

Danistar
It's a cool movie some thoughts, some scares...

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.