Universal translators?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Baylin
Does anyone know of universal translator system in the SW EU which doesn't require the use of a protocol droid?

Something like in Star Trek where it relies on speech patterns to work out the best translation.

The reason - well I'm working on an idea for a story going into Wild Space beyond the known universe where I'll encounter species that almost certainly wont speak Basic.

Any help would be great!!! big grin

yerssot
nope, sorry

Baylin
Oh well if anyone knows it'd be you so guess I'll just have to invent one, thanks anyway

Now where's my sonic screw driver....

yerssot
if it would be someone who knows something about the star wars EU it will be Lance or Julie

Corran
There is no such item hence the requirement for Protocol Droids that can speak over 3 million dialects.

yerssot
dialects?
forms of communication wink

though I want to know how bodylanguage will taken care of by droids wink

Corran
a droid would have more chance than a universal translator would.

yerssot
but how does it wink? wink

Baylin
Well I always wondered how '3PO would manage sign language with those hands of his - he struggled to pick a communicator in ANH. evil face

I think when I go exploring Wild Space I shall blunder forth and take what ever comes my way! blink

Ushgarak
Nah, seems the only Universal Translator is the one that allows us to hear Standard as English... but not read it. Unless, of course, it is on tractor beam controls, then we can read it just fine...

Corran
No the films are just dubbed.

yerssot
Jabba The Hutt ... as himself ...

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.