For movie quotes experts only!

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Omegaman
Okay this is a big challenge for you movie quotes experts because Im one too, but this quote even has me dumb-founded!! Here it is (DO NOT try to look on IMDB cause I have and it isnt there!)

"What does it do?"

"It doesnt do anything, thats the beauty of it!"

Good Luck!

G.P
Isn't it Monty python Meaning of Life ?

Omegaman
I dont know? Can you check your answer out?

G.P
Well, it seems that it isn't... I must have confused with the 'machine which goes "ping" '...But I'm sure I've already heard that. embarrasment

Kes
It does sound familiar but I just can't place it. Maybe a Bond movie or something. Back to the future III comes to mind. Got to check that outstick out tongue

mikesux
Sounds familiar too, ack! Is it defo a movie and not a tv series episode?

Omegaman
Yes its a movie not TV show

Evil Dead
Sounds very familiar........the only movies I can think of that I've watched lately are Old School, Robin Hood Men in Tights, and Flatliners......

I'm going to guess Robin Hood Men in Tights since I know it wasn't in either of the other movies I've watched in the past 2 days.........just a guess......

Kes
Men in tights? could be. In the rabi (sp) thing.
I'm gonna check.

Kes
Well I check and it's not the Rabi scene messed It sounds so familiar, I just can't think of where I heraed it.

Omegaman
Come on people, all these movie experts and no one can get this??

Godshinto
By the way the line they are thinking of from Robin Hood Men in tights is "I take your little thing I put it in my little, doohikey, and and vwala a circumsition."

Godshinto
Is the line from the carrot top movie don't know the name of it but the only one he made. if not can we have a clue please

ChinaNiki
Dogma?

Godshinto
Is it from Back to the Future I where the profesor is explinging the Flux copacitor to Marty

Celsius
oh GOD, this is SO familiar!!!

Celsius
Clue?

Omegaman
I dont know the answer myself yet, so keep trying to help me!

Celsius
i could have sworn that i heard it a few days ago!!!
UUUUGGHHH!!!! this is so frustrating.

Omegaman
Tell me about it, I know I have heard it in a movie too!

Kes
Its not. I've checked.
I know why I thought it was from an X-files ep. Mulder says:"What does it do?" messed
I think every movie that has does lines seperatly are gonna pop into my head! I'm going wacko

Godshinto
Yhea I checked the movie too and it wasn't it I also checked the movie X-Files and that wasn't it either. I think it's a movie from before 2000 but it has to be during the 90's I think it's a comedy but I really can't really place it.

Omegaman
Yes, I know its older than say 2000 and I think its in a comdey also!

Ziggyzaz
Where did you get this qoute?

Godshinto
I just said that!!!

Omegaman
If I knew where the quotes was from ,then I would have my answer wouldnt I?(just kidding) Someone else has asked me to find this out!

Evil Dead
I'm ringing in with a guess of Airplane..............perhaps even Airplane II............that quote makes Airplane pop into my head for some reason........I can't say where in the movie I think it is but I keep thinking Airplane.......

Omegaman
I am pretty sure it is not Airplane or part 2

Celsius
its a newer film methinks.

badkittykitty
I am98.9% sure it is from willie wonka and the chocolate factory..just imagine gene wilder saying this and you will see it in your head..I am so right about this...I think.

badkittykitty
okay I am wrong but I still think it is gene wilder.

rinoa
Its not flight of the navigator is it ive got this picture in my head of the little boy asking it about one of the alien thingys on board and the computer replying i dont think im right though. This is gonna bug me till i find out. confused

Godshinto
It's not that Disney movie "The Night the Martians Decided to Attcak" though that was funny as hell.

Godshinto
I can almost remember Billy crystal saying it, it could have been in "City Slickers"

Spacey
Hum...Could it be The Hudsucker Proxy?

Godshinto
Mabey it was because there were several inventons in that movie as in matter of fact that's what the movie was about, I'll watch it and get back to you.

Omegaman
Do not think it is Hudsucker either

Spacey
How about the toystore scene in BIG?

Evil Dead
Since it's not Airplane or Airplane 2...................is it Hot Shots?

I swear to christ I keep seeing Lloyd Bridges in my head saying this line............

Omegaman
This is sad with all the so called movie buffs and we cant get an answer to this!

Laura4Owen
Could It be in Blazing Saddles?

Godshinto
that's a funny movie I will watch it and find out

Laura4Owen
right now im doubting that blasing saddles is right!

Evil Dead
Could the answer be Spaceballs?...........

President Scroob: What does it do?

Col. Sanders: It doesn't do anything.....that's the beauty of it sir.....

hmmmmm.....now I'll have to watch Spaceballs to see if that's correct or not.........sounds about right though.

Celsius
mmmmm... might be.

Omegaman
Evil Dead, get back to me on what you find out! I will need proof that it is from SPace Balls!

Godshinto
Watch the part where they are all standing around the coffee dispenser he might say it there.

h0ck3yh0rr0r
This quote might be kinda hard but those who like horror movies should get the answer easily.
Quote: You may think this line is getting old, but believe me son, I want me gold!

Omegaman
Leprecan(sp)

h0ck3yh0rr0r
nice good job

h0ck3yh0rr0r
i also like this quote by the leprechaun:
"This old Lep, he played one, he played pogo, on his lung!"

zoomonkey
so was the other quote for sure from Spaceballs?

Evil Dead
no.......I watched Spaceballs again yesterday........the quote is nowhere to be found...........hmmm......this is puzzling.

Spacey
Omegaman, etc. Don't worry yourself. IMDb and many online communities have been working on this quote since April, I think. There are threads all over the net looking for the answer. But if we could figure it out.....*little happy dance for Spacey*...we would reign supreme!

Omegaman
Yes Spacey , I know. I saw it on IMDB too! But I thought I would put it on here too, to help out! I know I have heard it in a movie.

Iluvjohnnydepp
LOL! Im usually so good at these...and this one DEFINATLY rang a bell...but I dont know what bell-tower

Godshinto
You know what makes this quote so hard to pinpoint is that alot of movies have the phrase "So what does it do" I mean come on I can think of atleast five movies I've heard that phrase in.

Omegaman
Well go ahead and name those 5 movies then!

Godshinto
Atleast 5 James Bond Movies. Then you have just about every movie that has any kind of inventions in it.

Kes
Can somebody check the James Bond movie that introduced John Cleese.Tomorrow never dies.
When Bond meets up with Q.

JRatT12

hrh_jennifer
O.K. the picture I'm getting is of somebody finding something, but not knowing what it is, then the other person asks "what does it do?" etc. and after that quote the thing does something.

Does that help anybody, 'cos now I see it written down, this message sounds completely useless.

Oh, well I'll post it anyway.

badkittykitty
this is still making me crazy!

wicker_man
R (John Cleese) was introduced to Bond...James Bond (lol) in The World is not enough but only as an understudy to Q,he took over full time on Die Another Day hope that helps.

CptJackSparrow
Wow guys, that's a tough one. It seems so familiar......but I can't come up with anything. I'm anxious to know what you guys find out. In the meantime, I'll try to think of it if I can. Somehow I get a picture of like an inventor or someone showing off a gadget and the kid or whatever asking "What does it do?" Could it be from Back to the Future 2 or 3?

Kes
Wicker man> Yeh he was introduced before Tommorow never dies. Sorry. But does anyone have those Bond movies? I get this pic of Bond messing with Q sandwish messed

CptJackSparrow>Its not back to the future. I've checked.

wicker_man
That scene is from Goldeneye.

Kes
Ok. Those he say that?The quote?

wicker_man
Wheres the quote i am having difficulty finding it within this thread...thanks.

Kes
"What does it do?"

"It doesnt do anything, thats the beauty of it!"

If its not from the sandwich scene then it has to be in a scene with either Q or R. I think big grin

wicker_man
Ive got all the Bond Films and i cannot remeber that line.

wicker_man
I will hunt round see if i can bring up any more suggestions.

Kes
Damn! Thanks.

DeNiro
i havent looked at ne other pages in this thread but who ever made this line up should have at least known what movie it was from but this is great 4 pages lata same god damn line tryin to be figured out lol good work to the thread starter

Neo_Version 7
I am 56% sure it is in the Hours with Nicole Kidman and Meryl Streep. I think in a part when Meryl asks Ed Harris something and he answers, "Nothing, that's the beauty of it." Or some other movie with harris. I don't know. ****IN HARD! I wanna find this one out!!!! ****!

Kes
Well Omegaman doesnt know. And if I'm not mistaken this thread is all over the net. Several boards have the same question and nobody knows.

CptJackSparrow
Maybe it, or something similar, has been in more than one movie, so it's making it more difficult?

JRatT12
i think that is the reson it is so hard to figure out we have herd simeler lines in other movies and so its hard to remeber these exact lines from one movie

Kes
Yeh! The "What does it do?" is very popular messed

wicker_man
I thought it could of been on Monty Pythons Life of Brian, in the scene where the three wise men come bearing gifts for Brian and they are discussing the gifts with Brians mother. But i further checked this theory and it was not the case....sorry, i will resume my ever continuing search.

Kes
Well I could have told you that cos I remember the line and I've never seen Monty Python.

bravegirl
blink I've heard it before too...just not sure where.

Omegaman
From the start , I said I didnt know the answer and that I was trying to get the answer!

noodles
Check out Willie Wonka.

Acidedge
'scuse me for interrupting... (newbie)... but I don't think it's from Willy Wonka. But it is starting to bug me too. Like somebody said, it sounds similar to a lot of things. I was getting:

"It doesn't mean anything" from the Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy.

Can someone please post the answer to this soon!

A.

Pirates_lass
Acidedge wat was th point fer callin noodles a newbie ur one to!

Pirates_lass
argg i know ive heard it! this is gonna bug the crap outa me !

Acidedge
I wasn't calling Noodles a newbie, I was saying excuse a newbie for interrupting. (I.e. Me). But you have a point. Anyways... still not figured out that quote yet.

mcougy
alright i think i have it... and its not a comedy... i believe that its formula 51 with samuel l jackson... hes talkin about the pill thats just a placebo... someone check it out...

Kes
Well I know that quote and I've never seen Formula 51.
But check it.

ragesRemorse
man i know ive heard this qupte before and its found its way to the center of my brain and is gnawing away at it. Im pretty sure its a comedy somthing with jim carrey

Corran
Mcougy means the 51st State, with SLJ, and is correct.

Omegaman
Okay, its is NOT : The Hours, A James Bond film, Back to the Future, Willie Wonka. All of those have been mentioned before and checked out

Please lets keep trying!!

Corran
It's the 51st state, we've said it twice now,.

Omegaman
How has this been confirmed??? What proof?

Omegaman
I just discovered that 51st is the same thing as Forumla 51 and I hate to burst your bubble...but the line is NOT from this movie either.

It has been mentioned long ago and was proved wrong!

So keep trying!

mcougy
what is the 51st state then? i thought it went by both names, and, if theyre not the same, then i was talking about formula 51... but if its not right then its not right, oh well

asweetdolphin
The quote is in the 51st state with SLJ. I saw this thread a few days ago and it really sounds familiar and because i wanted to see the movie the 51st state i checked the qoute.

Does it help if I say that i remember it said by an actor with an English accent.

Kiss Kiss

samclem
noodles got it correct, according to my 19 year old movie genius. I ask him stuff all the time and he's the movie geek.

Wilder, in Willie Wonka, throws a boot into a vat. He says it adds more "kick." Then Charlie touches a machine and Wilder stops him. Charlie says "What does it do?"
Wilder replies "Nothing, that's the beauty of it."

At least, that's what Zack, the 13 year old geeks says from memory.

What do I know?

samclem
Hey, my first time here. The kid's 13, not 19.

Omegaman
It is NOT from Formula 51!!

I am also pretty sure it is not in Willy WOnka, can you get your son to double check that? But thanks for trying!

Bev
It's not from Willie Wonka.

WONKA: That's exploding candy for your enemies. Great idea,
isn't it. Not ready yet, though, still too weak. Needs
more gelignite. (He puts sneakers into a pot.)

MR. SALT: What's that for?

WONKA: Gives it a little kick.

MR. SALT: Wonka? Butterscotch . . . butter gin . . . you've
got something going on inside of here?
It's not from Willie Wonka.

WONKA: Candy is dandy, but liquor is quicker. (Tests a
pot.) Aaa!

The only thing that comes close from Willie Wonka is this:

CHARLIE: What's it do?

WONKA: Would you like to see?

CHARLIE: Yeah.

(Wonka pushes a button. The machine goes through a
long process, then produces Everlasting Gobstoppers.)

CHARLIE: But what's it do?

WONKA: Can't you see? It makes Everlasting Gobstoppers.

I tried to post the link to the complete script but the board gives me an error message saying I can't post links as a new member to deter spammers. If anyone needs the link to the Willie Wonka script you can PM me.

Stuart Larkins
why do I somehow here the following lines "if it is doing something, I think it's doing it now, but?" But hwere is that from?

Bev
I first thought of the Simpsons episode where at the end Mr. Burns gave the Simpsons that present for Barts blood. That giant stone head.

*family looking at head*
Homer - "What does it do?"
Marge - "It doesn't do anything"
Homer - "No really, come on"
Marge - "If it does anything, it's doing it right now"

Stuart Larkins
you guys are wack putting on a quote and not knowing the answer and making us spaz over it damn you damn you all! http://www.killermovies.com/forums/images/moresmilies/wallbash.gif

Stuart Larkins
That's what I was thinking

_CYCLOPS_
When I first read this, I thought of the aforementioned Simpsons Episode as well. Are you sure your friend said the quote properly? I NEVER get stumped, NEVER! And, as you can tell, I am right now.

missyvonne
im a movie quote master and i cant think of this one!, but i know i know this film because i can hear the quote being spoken..and im feeling john candy....?
im really feeling john candy...
deb j

missyvonne
i keep thinking that the way it is phrased, it may be something this person is trying to get out of having done or admitting to...im thinking about how the quote sounds, what actors can i hear saying that in my head, the context of the quote...i also had thoughts of ghostbusters but i dont think thats it. dammit, i know this movie! it has to be one of my faves as i can hear the way its said but not the voice...

thorncrawler
well my vote is going for the simpsons episode cos i have it on video and bev is right word for word so in my head problem solved
next

missyvonne
i know its not the simpsons, im sure of it! all of my family knows theyve heard it but cant think of it. we are gonna bust this one, just wait!

DeNiro
i dont know but what episode is this one of the simpsons

has he shown ne of the side effects?

Homer- yeah he stopped blinking

he said thats when they get ya

missyvonne
what bev posted does not have that exact quote in it=)
deb

mia
This ones killing my household..........we all keep a.l.m.o.s.t........tip of our tounge getting it, but not quite.
We think it's either some off beat cult film that everyones seen, or a recentish blockbuster.....maybe 2001-2003?
also...does anyone else feel pretty sure it's a guy saying it?

missyvonne
yep i hear a guy saying it! somebody HAS to get this one..its driving me mad!
deb

Soonie
You are all insane. Look at other movie quote forums, there have been many destroyed by this "quote" I don't believe for a second that there is a quote out there that hundreds of movie quote experts can't pin down. This is simply something that sounds familiar.

missyvonne
it sounds familiar to us bec ause we have heard it before. get it? i KNOW ive heard it. doesnt matter if you think otherwise. and if you think its ridiculous, why are you even on this list? just avoid it in the future and we'll all be happier.
thanks!

azriel1217
My vote is for Real Genius.

dori_fish
My fav quote is "Hop inside my mouth if you want to live"

THX1000b
my girlfriend says it's from Willy Wonka, when he's describing the elevator buttons

Phillywilly
Is finding nemo the only movie you've seen?
every time i see you write something its from finding nemo

Wolfie
The quote Omegaman had was from Ernest Goes to Jail!!! The fat security guard of the bank was testing a security system on the boss!!

Omegaman
Are you sure about that, can you prove it in any way?

Can someone who knows the right site ,check the script of "Ernest goes to Jail"?? for this quote?

Kes
Ppl dont post quotes here. This thread is just about omegaman's quote.

rinoa
right i know this isnt a film but its in the hitchhikers guide to the galaxy but as its a kind of vague quote it may also be in a film if that makes any sense geek

Lord Soth
Jeez, it sounds SO familiar, but I can't put my finger on it!!!

HRE
Don't let this die!

I have to know!

Cinemaddiction
I'm a movie buff, and the movie you are looking for is "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy".

Piggle Humsy
Ok I'm confused...confused huh Did anyone guess the Original quote? Is that whats from "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy".

Someone clear this up... blink

It is quite amazing how many people are talking about this.. I even went into one thread and they asked if they got it from here! laughing

Piggle one eye
x x x x

Kes
Prove it.

HRE
Does anyone actually have the DVD or video?

HRE
Hey! No ditching this thread!

lupinmystic
Samual L Jackson said it in The 51st State aka: Formula 51...almost at the end of the movie in the club, in refernce to the drug he made that everyone at the club was just given.

Kes
That has been said before and it wasnt it.
I can say it isnt that because I have heard these lines and havent seen Formula 51 (unless it is said in 2 different movies).

rocky_923
You were really close with the simpsons. Wrong episode. When homer's brother Herb comes back for his second appearence he goes to homer for money. While making a presentation to the family he uses a drinking bird as an example.

Homer(refering to the bird): "What does it do?"

Herb: "That's the beauty of it, it doesn't DO anything!"

Northern Elf
it's not from the simpsons coz ive heard it before and i never watch the simpsons

Bernatrick
I've registered here for one reason, and one reason only. To tell you the answer. This quote was most recently said in Van Helsing. Remember the little ball of glass that had the power of the sun? But it didn't do anything (until later on).

smile

LordMortis
this is doing my head in lol. i know the quote was said kn the game final fantasy 7 but im sure i heard it in a movie aswell (i can hear a voice when i read it). ill watch every film i have till my eyes bleed lol i need to find this quote >.<

Mesusah
When they say it in Final Fantasy 7, what are they talking about?
Maybe that's where I have it from...That was the first thing that came to mind, but I can't quite place it.

The quote makes me think about Star Wars too though, but I have no idea where or why they say it if they ever have said it...

LordMortis
from final fantasy 7 its the bit when aeris is talking about the materia she has.

Cloud: so what does it do?
Aeris: It does absolutely nothing, thats the beauty of it. its completely useless.

Mesusah
ah that's it. Thank you smile

browneyedgirl
This is from the Simpsons. (but a different episode than Bev's answer above) Danny DeVito is the voice of the character that says it.
"What does it do?"
"It doesn't DO anything. That's the beauty of it!"
It's from The Simpsons in the episode where Homer's half brother (I think, maybe step brother) Herb Powell is explaining his invention. He is talking about the 'drinking' bird and Homer asks, "What does it do?"

Can't you hear Danny DeVito saying this?

Eskimoandi
I seem to think the person who says it is British...

ladygrim
no expression

wanless
The movies for me that came to mind when i first heard the quote were, Flight of the navigator, One of the Ghostbusters movie, A Gremlins movie, and the simpsons. I haven't checked them out yet, but what i get from the quote is that it is from a comedy that is still kinda serious, not like airplane or caddy shack or a comedy like that.

kate_robyn
Had to join to post this.

I just watched 'The Simpsons' episode, 'Brother, Can You Spare Two Dimes' and the line is not said.

When Herb presents his drinking bird, Homer just says, "He's drinking the water!". The other invention is the baby translator, and that actually DOES do something.

freddynut2
what is this from
"Like a booger I stick to this."

jryan
The answer is it is not a movie... it is a TV show.

Star Trek: The original series

Episode: The Trouble With Tribbles

McMc
"It doesnt DO anything, thats the beauty of it"

Anyone figure out what movie this is from?

bilb

<< THERE IS MORE FROM THIS THREAD HERE >>