Matchstick Men

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Katiedid25
Has anybody seen the preview for "Matchstick Men" with Nicholas Cage? I saw it before "T3" and it looks really good! big grin

mikesux
I loved the trailer, first trailer with a twist that I have seen smile

strider
yea i watched it online it looks funny... and you cant go wrong with ridley

Katiedid25

BABOON
ummm...this movie looks like a rip off of LEON:The Professional...and obviously it will never be anywhere near as good as that movie.

Cinemaddiction
Ok, well to address that last post, I think it;s safe to say that anyone who saw this movie can tell ya that the two are NOTHING alike. Not even remotely close.

This bump is just to serve as a notice that "Matchstick Men" was released on DVD today. Naturally, I bought it and already watched it, and was quickly reminded how underappreciated and overlooked the movie truely is.

I, too, HIGHLY recommend it to most anyone.

andyF1
This film was great, i thought the young actress who played his daughter
just shone. spoiler did you guess she was part of the con, it took me a while, i think you didnt need the one year later at the end, it would of been better to see cage looking over the skyline known hes been screwed

Evil Dead
I think the movie was decent. It dragged for the first 45 minutes......but payed off in the last half of the movie. It is utterly predictable. My wife isn't the smartest gal in the world (hey, I'm being honest...she's a looker, not a thinker) and even she predicted the end of the film.

Still......I must recommend. Don't let the first half of the movie put you off. I was tempted to turn my dvd player off but fought the urge.....and I'm glad I did.

Cinemaddiction
I must be pretty stupid, because nothing in the movie lent to the fact that his daughter infact wasn't his, nor the fact that all the cons would ultimately get conned themselves.

As for it dragging, it was just building up Nicholas Cage's character, which was without a doubt one of the original characters I have ever seen. Wasn't boring at all to me, and it's one of my favorite movies of all time.

Evil Dead
I'm sorry Cinemaddiction..........not saying you're not on the ball or anything but the movie was almost as predictable as S.W.A.T.

Since you already posted a bit of a spoiler......I'm not going to put this in tags.

During the scene where Nick Cage is teaching "his daughter" the lottery ticket con at the laundromat, my wife looked at me and said, "the twist is going to be that she is conning him"..........I then looked at her and said, "no....Frank is conning him, he hired her"......

The dead give away for me that left no doubt in my mind was the fact that he never picked his "daughter" up at her house. She would show up at his car after school (not coming from the school....from the opposite side of the street) and when he dropped her off, she wouldn't let him pull up to the house.

It's still a good movie........maybe me and my wife are just really good at catching twists because we watch so many movies, I don't know.....but it was really predictable for us. Hell, that was part of the fun at the end.......we wanted to see if we were right, and we were.

Gil'sSweetheart
I thought it was ok.

Cinemaddiction
Yikes. Only part of S.W.A.T. that wasn't predictable was the "all for nothing" street shootout, when the prisoner transfer was underground.

Of course, things being predictable shouldn't stop people from enjoying movies. I like watching movies first, dissecting them later.

As for Matchstick Men, there still wasn't any evidence that Frank and Angela were in cahoots, atleast until the mention of her police record, where he didn't act the least bit surprised. It would be near impossible to guess. Besides, how were we to know that a guy in his mid 30's would have any kind of contact/relationship with a 14 year old?

That's still a headscratcher.

andyF1
I didnt pick up on any clues apart from when she asked to be counter signature on his deposit box, she was good

Fire
It's a good movie, nice performance by Cage, nothing great tho

Evil Dead
"Besides, how were we to know that a guy in his mid 30's would have any kind of contact/relationship with a 14 year old?"

If one gets the idea in their head that she is indeed conning him, why would they still assume she was 14 years old?.....

Cinemaddiction
I meant how would Angela have known Frank in the first place. You can guestimate her age by just looking at her.

Evil Dead
Actually you can guestimate her age by the end. It is one year later......she has just moved into an apartment with her boyfriend. This means she is atleast 18-19.

It is completely possible that she was 18 the previous year. Frank could have met her in a club.......he could have previously known her (friend/family)......he could have just met a random woman on the street and said, "how would you like to make a lot of money?"

greyboy
i just saw this a couple weeks ago and thought it was awesome....very impressive. Not at all what I expected...in a good way..

Cinemaddiction
At the end, when she's all dolled up, sure. But before hand, it was still tough.

BTW, just checked IMDb.com and IRL she's freakin' 24 years old! eek!

<<Solo>>
I've owned the movie for quite awhile, I finnally saw it, and two words freaking awesome. Big twist though,wasn't expecting it abit.

Stormy Day
This movie is really good,the acting just wins the movie for me tho.

mr.knife
its ok who seen the day after tomorrow it was sad that the president died

Stormy Day
Dont talk about a movie in a thread not made for it.Theres a DAT thread in the movie discussion.

Myth
I was surprisingly pleased with the movie. The movie was pretty good overall but the ending just made it so much more. I recommend this movie to most because its got the cutsy crap in their with the daughter yet its clevor enough for a guy (no offense girls, I'm talking about the average girl, not the movie types that we'd find here which means you).

Stormy Day
lol

I still cant remember any of the movie I dont know why.I cant remember the ending middle or anything I think im getting Amnesia. sad

BloomBabyGirl
i loved this movie. i loved nicholis cage cuz t snot easy to play a spaz....the ending was the greatest in a along time

Myth
Actually, I think Nick Cage's part would be pretty easy to play (doesn't take the greatest actor to flinch) and it had a good ending, but not the "greatest in a along time".

BloomBabyGirl
well babe thats my opoinion so let it be huh? wink

Myth
Well, you're entitled to your opinion. I guess thats why I put "I think..." as well.

BloomBabyGirl
well i ahvent seen any movies lately with good ending s so...help me out there

Myth
http://www.killermovies.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=21488&highlight=ending

Jedi Priestess
well IMHO I thought this movie sucked messed

BloomBabyGirl
it was brong at first

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.