Favorite Console RPG(s)

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

kruegerKid
The point of this thread is to find out what everyones favorite RPG is and why, (Role playing games for ACTUAL consoles not the ones on here) if they actually have one.

My favorite RPG(s) is the Final Fantasy series, mainly those before FF 7. In my opinion, the best ones are 4 and 6. I say I prefer the older ones because the gameplay was much better, granted the graphics weren't the best but with superior gameplay one hardly notices.

The characters were even better developed in the older games, for example, Cecil from FF 4 and Terra from FF 6 had in depth explainations of who they were and where they came from. Terra from FF6 even had a playable journey through her and her parents memories, thats what I call extensive.

I think it is sad that there are people out there calling themselves Final Fantasy Fans when the first time they even heard of the game is when it turned mainsteam with the production and release of FF 7. It takes more than a flaky story and overrated characters to appeal to me. I will however admit that the "extras" and voiceovers introduced were cool.

What bothers me the most is that Squaresoft keeps changing how the characters gain new abilities and magic, it went from buying spells, to choosing jobs, to leveling up and learning certain things depending on the character, to materia, then drawing magic, and then the "infamous" sphere grid.

I think the best and only way a character should learn spells and abilities should be dependant on who they are and when they level up. For example, a white mage or healer should only be able to learn white magic, same goes for a black mage, they should only be able to learn black magic. Knights should not learn spells unless they are Paladin's, in which case, they should only be able to learn a limited amount of white magic. Thieves should stick to stealing and that's it, well I'm sure by now you get the point.

Anyways...yeah just let me know wink

Ushgarak
You mean computer-based RPGs. I'll edit the thread title.

kruegerKid
No consoles, I'm not a fan of Computer Gaming.

Ushgarak
Same thing, pretty much, the important point is to distinguish it from more traditional role-playing.

TedO
I agree with you. I have always been a die-hard Final Fantasy fan, including the Final Fantasy Legends on the gameboy. Final Fantasy 4 was my fav, the best storyline of all the FF series, as well as the best way to aquire magic (which was mentioned in your post).

Although, I also loved Chrono Trigger. It was a great story line as well, and I loved traveling through time and gathering characters to join you. Plus Magus was one of my favourite playable characters in any video game.

Breath Of Fire was alright, but nothing extremely special. Good enough for me to sit through it all.

But FF4 is my personal favourite.

kruegerKid
You're right Tedo, Chrono Trigger was great, mainly because you could travel through time but also because you could end the game whenever you wanted. Once you returned from the past the first time you could go ahead and fight Lavos. This was a true test of your skill.

Also as far as Magus is concerned he was cool although it sucks if you chose to fight him because then he dies and never joins you. I thought Chrono Cross was a major flop. It sucks that you can only go into a alternate reality and not in time. That kind of ruined it for me.

Oh and Breath of Fire was O.K but I believe thats all Ide give it.

....I see we like the same one...the best part was the adventure to turn Cecil from a Dark Knight to a Paladin YAY!!! Don't forget 6 though Terra was awesome and Shadow, lets not forget a playabl MOG hurray!

TedO
6 was okay... although the whole materia bit wasn't something I enjoyed. I mean, not everybody should be able to summon monsters to the battle field, even if it is only once. But the storyline was at least respectable, which is more than I can say for the newer fantasies.

I haven't played Chrono Cross. I jsut picked up a PS1 used for cheap, so maybe I'll have to check er out. It was voted as a better RPG... but then again the same people gave FF7 a 10 when all I deserved was a 6 or less.

kruegerKid
um I think you're confused, 7 had materia, 4 and 6 were psx remakes that were originally 2 and 3 for snes so please don't mistake them. 7 sucked and materia is a horrible system.

ObieTrice 26
i always liked the legend of zelda series,although i was dissapointed with windwaker when it went anime atyle, but the gameplay was still good despite the cartoony look.i think A link to the past was the best zelda game of all

kruegerKid
I agree completly, that and the original one for NES were the best. The second one for NES was horrible though. Same goes for the N64 versions, the first was good but the second was horrible. Hey at least the makes are consistant lol

ObieTrice 26
didnt Link used to have brown hair and not blonde?

kruegerKid
i believe so...hmm been awhile since i played.

ObieTrice 26
ya, the N64 versions sucked.in OOT, u should've gotten all 3 pieces of the triforce, and MM didnt even have anything 2 do with the triforce, and getting the triforce was basicly the whole point of the series

J_To_The_P
Zelda Oot is one of my fave games of all time along w/ lttp and super metroid! Zelda isn't RPG though, and I guess I love Zelda so much cuz I never played the originals. embarrasment

kruegerKid
zelda is role palying it just has a "real time" battle system instead of being turn based.

Darth Vicious
I for one like the Zelda series, if a new one comes out i have to play it and beat but i admit that the original Zelda for NES it took me forever to beat, i also like Final Fantasy series, Chrono Trigger, Lunar and im looking forward to a new Yu-Gi-Oh!! RPG thats coming out soon and while im at it i also like the Metal Gear series and any good survival games(Resident Evil, Silent Hill, Fatal Frame(this game is too creepy) but i admit that as im older i play less and less!

BackFire349
final fantasy 3(6) is the best game of all time. chrono trigger is also close behind.

kruegerKid
Thats what Im saying BF, oh and don't forget Suikoden guys..great rpg, all three of them (1 and 2 on ps one and 3 on ps2)

J_To_The_P
Wind Waker isn't though, it's far to short to be RPG, it's only RPG, if you do all side-quests, otherwise it's less then 10 hours.

kruegerKid
It si a RPG, I've played some short ones as well the genre is given because of what the game entails not because of how long it is. Most RPG's are long though, mainly 30+, I'll give you that much.

J_To_The_P
Yeah, like FFX, that game was so long it was BORING me by the end, I can't imagine how long Xenosaga and stuff is. eek!

kruegerKid
Xenogears, Xenosaga's prequel, was realllllllly long and in depth, some parts dragged really bad. So I know what you mean.

Stovenutts
I know that FFX came out for PS2 but have any other GOOD RPGs come out for ps2 or xbox?

BackFire349
console rpg's and pc rpg's are completely different, the only thing they share universally is that the characters level up. usually, you have much more freedom in pc rpg's. (fallout, neverwinter nights, baldurs gate series). but, console rpgs', while being more linear for the most part, usually containt the better, more involving story line and characters. you tend to care for the characters in the console rpg's more then pc ones. the stories are usually much grander and cinematic in console rpg's as well. pc rpg's you usually make up your own story kinda, there is a central story, but you can branch it out and do whatever you want and create your own story too. both are good, but i prefer console.

Stovenutts
i need a good RPG for xbox. does anyone know of any good ones?

kruegerKid
There really aren't too many RPG's for XBOX, and the ones they do have suck, XBOX is better if you want to play racing or sportsgame, go with a playstation if you are a RPG Fan.

By the way Backfire who was that post too? I assume it wasn't me because I know the difference. I hate PC games and I think gaming should remain solely on the console.

BackFire349
no it was to ush, towards the beginning of the thread. just took me a while to post it for some reason.

kruegerKid
Oh ok just wondering.

kruegerKid
Xenosaga, .hack, Suikoden 3, Kingdom Hearts...these are all great RPG's for PS2, especially Suikoden 3 (Try 1 and 2 for PS One though, the graphics aren't the greatest but they are better in every oher way). Give me some time and I'll think of some more.

Stovenutts
K. i neeeeeed a good one. i think ill just get elder scrolls 3: Marrowind

kruegerKid
...I guess elder scrolls is alright. I'm a RPG fan so I bought that game but to be perfectly honest, I was dissapointed. I love having to do several things in a game so you get more into it but Elder Scrolls has a little to much to it. Averaging at 500+ hours of gameplay. There are to many little details and too many rules that I believe ruin it. It is to similar to its PC version. I think that is where the game should have stayed, that is, on the pc.

Stovenutts
yea there seems to be no storyline at all.

diegocala
I like the Hand-Held RPG's

kruegerKid
ok.....

Metroplex
In Elder Scrolls you chose your own adventure. No one is actually leading you anywhere except yourself. Thats what i like about it. There isnt a main story line. I really like Neverwinter Nights. Its a really good game. I play it online.

edwinian
Hmmm...well from an all around stand point I love the Zelda games....also Like Secret of Mana and the Dragon Warrior Series. Of Recent...Morrowind, and I just got Pirates of the Caribbean!

kruegerKid
I think all the Zeldas are great except the second one for NES and Manjora's mask for N64. As far as Secret of Mana the original for SNES was awesome, the remake for PS One was really lacking though. Oh and for the Dragon Warrior Series, very good, not awesome but very good.

kruegerKid
Yeah but that sucks, the point of a RPG is to play as a particular person (Main character, almost always good) and venture through the game, unraveling the story as you go, many times trying to save your friends, world, and self from evil. Although there is a main story line it is still possible to do side quests like in FF 7 for example.

To make no concrete story line at all ruins it altogether though.
DOING THAT MAKES THE GAME A PC GAME, not a console rpg. If you want to play pc games, stick to a pc then. If you want a game where you can run around doing whatever without really having any particular purpose, play GTA or something and give up on the RPG's!

Another_Smithy
ROMANCE OF THE THREE KINGDOMS VIII IS THE BEST! YOU CAN BE OVER 600+ characters! You control all of China, fight many battles and play a history that was 1750 years ago, or make your own history!

Sheepz
I *heart* RPGs. My favorites include:
-Lunar for Play Station
-Chrono Cross for Play Station
-Golden Sun for Game Boy Advance
-All Zelda games
-Pokemon, yes pokemon it's based on an rpg system so =P
-Kingdom Hearts for Play Station 2... Sora have my Baby!

3d170|2z:

Has anyone played the Lunar game for Game Boy Advance? Is it any good? I was looking into buying it.

kruegerKid
hey sheepz, if you think chrono cross is good try chrono trigger the prequel. it was originally for snes but then remade for ps one. Its great.

LindsIsTightK
My favorite game is Zelda:The Ocarina of Time for Nintendo64. Does that count as an RPG game???

kruegerKid
yes it does and its a great one too.

LindsIsTightK
Yeah I love that game. Almost to an unhealthy point.

kruegerKid
the battle system is just different than other rpgs (real time, like in Zelda, compared to turn based battling).

LindsIsTightK
What does that mean???

*Lindsay feels very blonde at this moment*

ObieTrice 26
It means u dont take turns like in most RPG'S.u just fight like it would be in real life

kruegerKid
exactly, for example, instead of choosing attack, magic, or item from a command menu, you just push a button and attack with no delay like you would do in real life, as obie said. Some people prefer this type of battling, not me however, turn based is so much better and requires more of a strategy while batting.

kruegerKid
anyone else?

sssaiya
have anyone here already played FFX-2??? hehehe big grin

Myth
Why isn't this in the Video Game forum?

mechmoggy
Mooooooooooving...

Storm
Final Fantasy series

King of ff
hmmm. Not that this has anything to do with the forum but... PLEASE wright to my thread...PLEASE... I so want to talk about stuff. ANYTHING..ANYONE

King of ff
I'm getting NUTS!!! Somebody wright me.

Linkalicious
I'll go with Chrono Trigger on this...for all the aformentioned reasons. I think the whole story is great. I like how you can beat the game different ways and at different times in order to get 11 different endings. The option of killing Magus or letting him join only adds to the story. And i like all the additional stuff like getting special equipment and weapons that you don't necessarily need in order to beat the game. I would say any one of the Zelda games...but i don't really think of them as traditional RPGs. I think of them more as action/adventure games.

Dregh
My favourite game will always be Tales of Phantasia for SNES , it's so cool , Even though Namco , the father of Pacman, made it.

DracotheDragon
The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past for SNES is the best console RPG ever!

splintercell
my fav rpg is on the ps1 THE LEGEND OF DRAGOON its a must have

gentmax
Just plain old Final Fantasy for NES is probably still my favorite. Watching your characters level up, and thinking, does he look a little more bad ass, or is it just me? The very first guy that you go and beat turns out to be the meanest dude on the whole game. Everything seems to have been based on that formula, but I may be wrong.

Doctor Strange
I don't really count Zelda as an RPG so I'll go into my rant.

I don't like most RPGs. You know why? Back in the day of the SNES, RPGs were a small niche and a welcome break. They had actual stories. There was brain usage involved. So on and so forth. However, when gaming evolved, RPGs didn't. Back then turn-based battles and random enemies were the only effective ways to deal with combat. Now, it just feels lazy to have to unexpectedly deal with an x-fest for five minutes. Then there's the stories which get so freakin' annoying. Who really cares about your dad or your angsty past. I want to play a freaking game.

A good example of an RPG that didn't suck was KOTOR. There were actual battles in real-time, a good story that wasn't overly angsty, and moral dilemmas so complex I was afraid my computer would report me for being a bad person.

I must admit though, that as of late, I have been somewhat addicted to Tales of Symphonia, even with all it's cliches.

Sova D. Nagi
My favorite rpg is Phantasy Star Online ep.1&2 for the Gamecube.

Layden
my favorite rpg's are Shadow Hearts 2 covenant, Final Fanasty 8, Suikoden series, Xenosaga, Zelda (note the avatar) And MY FAVORITE IS..........LEGEND OF THE DRAGOON! lol there ya go

radioboy121
I'm a huge fan of both the Suikoden and Final Fantasy series. I enjoyed Kingdom Hearts (anticipating for the sequel), Shadow Hearts Convenent and like more or less the Hack series. I purchased some time ago the Shin Megami Tensei series (Nocturne and Digital Devil Saga), but I've yet to play it.

splintercell
finnaly some else that haas played it!

splintercell
LEGEND OF DRAGOON that is

splintercell
jiggyjiggyjiggy

Layden
Originally posted by splintercell
LEGEND OF DRAGOON that is

Legend of the Dragoon is the best and my favorite i also like the hack series and the knigdom hearts, and yes nocturne and digtal devil saga are great to

Layden
i really love the adult theme to nocturne and digtal devil saga

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.