What is Persephone's significance?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Static
Does ANYONE know what role Persephone is supposed to play in the grand scheme of things, and why the hell does she keep wanting to kiss everyone?

ive asked everyone i knopw and we've never been able to come up with any reasonable suggestions.

nickjs21
why would we know her role in the grand scheme of things? we haven't seen the grand scheme yet. likewise, we still don't know the role of niobe, morpheus, trinity, neo, seraph, the oracle, smith, etc. not until november.

Sifer
I dunno what her purpose is but she is certainly different in Revolutions. In the Movie Teaser Trailer she is wearing all black and red leather and really dark lipstick. Looks pretty evil to me.

Static
Yeah i suppose in retrospect it was a bit of a stupid question, but whats with all the kissing?

Agent_Smith
her husband was cheatin on her in the girls bathroom and whenever she saw him he had the girls lipstick on. so she wanted to bring some one in the boys bathroom and put lupstick on and kiss the person tu get back at him and to see how it feels like tu be luved

The Omega
Static> So far all that seems to be obvious is that some programs need some kind of access code. Seraph fights people to learn their identity, Persephone seems to need a kiss. Both programs are exiles, and may earlier on have had some kind of logic purpose. Persephone was probably investigating human emotions (in EtM she says she does like the taste of tears).
When kissing (this far Neo, Niobe and Ghost) she learns things about the subject.

Another_Smithy
Or have you ever thought that her name relates to her actions...Persephone...the godess of love.

Sifer
Goddess of the Underworld you mean smile

Another_Smithy
I thought that was love or was that her mother?

Static
Ive heard loads of theorys about this and that isprobably the best one ive heard, but i didnt relise thats why Serpah fights Neo, Ghost or Ballard, i thhought that was becuase he needed to test them to see if they were worthy of seeing the Oracle or someting along those lines.

Sifer
Her Mother was the Goddess of the Harvest (Demeter).

Agent_Smith
aprodite is the goddess of luv

n3m0
The myth goes like this. Hades the god of the underworld fell in love with the beautiful Persefone daughter of Demetra( godess of Family and production - crops - ). Demetra did not want this mariage so Hades kidnaped Persefone. Persefone fell in love with Hades, so they desided to spend 3 monthes in the underworld and 3months up here. Hence the changing of seasons.

Ikobe
I've been told a slightly different story - Hades did fall in love with, and kidnap Persephone. Demeter couldn't get her back so after a counsel with Zeus they decided that if Perseph ever ate anything in the Underworld she would have to remain there. Perseph lasted out for a long time but was tricked into eating pomegranate seeds by Hades. Demeter's depression brough famine, stillbirth, general chaos to the land, so another consel with Zeus decided that Perseph would have to stay in the Underworld for half of the year, but could return to Demeter in the other half (hence the seasons).

Having not played EtM which I'm guessing tells more about Perseph... I'm not really sure about her role.

~Ikobe

n3m0
That is more accurate ikobe.
The fact that their followers are Kain and Abel (as said in ETM) does raise some resemblance to Adam and Eve. The first ones to populate Eden (= the first Matrix?).

nickjs21
good point.

The Omega

PintofPaint
Just a thought. The archeitect said that if he was the father, she would be the mother. Maybe she is the mother. The reason she is kissing people is maybe to download information from them.

princess leia
what teaser is that???

Another_Smithy
Omega it was a fruit, it looks like a pumpkin...damn I cant remeber the name of the fruit...ahh Promongrant SP?

PintofPaint
It's not a teaser, just something that I heard about or read on another board, can't remember.

BEST TRINITY
Maybe she was one of the ONES??smile

PintofPaint
Maybe, (I may be wrong on this) but don't all the other one look like neo, ie. in the room of the archeitect when all the other neo's were on the screens. Either way, I think she has a really big part in revoltions, good or bad.

Deimos_2003
They weren't the other Ones (predecessors) because there were too many. I think they're likely to be possibilities of his reactions (e.g. notice when the Architect says that "denial is the most predictable human trait", all the other Neos are denying what he just said).

I still think that the Oracle is the "mother of the Matrix" that is referred to, despite the puh-leese from the Architect. I think that the tone suggests that the Architect finds the name given to her ridiculous and perhaps even patronising. After all, he probably knew her as Program 2234545AH24 or something....

With the Cain and Abel thing, I doubt that it has any relevance to the Persephone thing - different mythologies and civilisations - and I tend to think that the W. Bros just needed a pair of names for a duo (we're lucky they weren't called Bill & Ben...)

The thing about Seraph needing to fight, and Persephone needing to kiss makes perfect sense to me. Persephone does seem to learn a lot about Ghost and Niobe after kissing them, but what about that sinister warning to Neo? "Such things are not meant to last" Is she referring to the death-and-resurrection of Trinity or something that will happen in Revolutions?

Deimos

The Omega

Korri
i think her purpose was 2 be a chancer and generally stir up trouble (i dont like her btw just so u know)

Deimos_2003
Just out of interest Korri, your hatred wouldn't have anything to do with the fact that Persephone got to kiss Keanu would it? big grin wink

Deimos

Korri
well done sherlock smile

The Omega
Korri> And that would be Persephones ONLY purpose???

Korri
no she probably has sum significance but 2 me she is just an annoyance

Ikobe
According to the article is S:2 (which for your reading benefit I'm almost done typing up on the other computer and so will be available to all), Perseph is devoid of emotions because she's from an older version of the Matrix. So now she feeds on others emotions because she, like some other exiles I suppose, doesn't run the same as in 'her' version, so she need "updates" if you will, other people's emotions to make up for the loss of her own.

~Ikobe

The Omega

Seth-Gecko
She is a program, plain and simple. Kissing is how she downloads information. Like how Seraph fights people, to download information. She kisses people because she is trying to understand emotions and feelings. She is not learning about them. And about what she said to Neo "Such a thing, is not ment to last" I think that she was just jealous that she once knew that feeling and now its gone.

GABRIEL05

Korri
i thought she was abducted by Hades

scifigunslinger
I heard she sucks the life force out of you by kissing you. Some guys might like that though.

Korri
poor neo sad

GABRIEL05
Hades, Pluto, Roman, Greek, potatoe, potatoe, tomato, tomato

Korri
ohhhh oki doki smile

Ikobe
Potato. No 'e'.

~AI

Korri
Ikobe the spell checker lol

GABRIEL05
awww sheizer! I'm ususally good about spelling sad

Ikobe
One of my many Agent features... spellchecker, basic word translator in a few languages... intelligent insult and flame generator... guns...

~AI

Korri
Llaughing out loudL

The Omega
What is Persephones significance?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.