Accents

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

G.P
This is a very useless question, but I've been wondering that for a while. What do English, American & other native english speaking persons think about foreigners' pronounciation ?
Personnally I try to eradicate any sign of French accent when I speak english...but I don't know how french accent is perceived

embarrasmentembarrasmentembarrasment

Baylin
I think it depends how badly you try to "speak english". You've got the potential for sounding a bit daft if you try too hard to mimic the accent. I think it sounds better if you speak a language however it comes naturally, so if it gives you a french accent then thats fine - unless you don't people to know you're french!!!(jk) stick out tongue

happy kine
thing is, here in america we have different accents of english... you can tell where someone is from by how their accent is. the southe, north and west US all have different accents... and about forign accents... i find that a woman with an accent is kinda sexy... as far as accents go its all good.

G.P
@ Baylin : My aim is to speak as well as possible, because I don't like the french accent (when I speak english). That's why I wanted to know what do people think about it.

And No, I'm not ashamed to claim I'm French *murmurs* i'm french!!! stick out tongue

@ Happy Kine ??? Why ???

Celsius
Women with soft accents, like french german and other european languages, are sexy. Don't know why, it just gives the woman some kinda power. stick out tongue

happy kine
i'm not sure why either but an accent is exotic and alluring...

Celsius
You got it in one kine. smile

G.P
Example: What do you think about Lambert Wilson's pronounciation in Matrix Reloaded ? Exotic ? Horrible ? Funny ?

Celsius
i like Persiphone better... cuz im a guy. laughing out loud

bigbadbike2
I think it is great.

Women I'm sure think the same about accents as we do. I would try not to lose it. Becareful that others can understand you though. I do not like a southern Accent greatly though, but that is probably because where I am from it is so harsh sometimes.

My 2 cents.

Kes
I think that happens in every country. The regions have different accents.
I have one my selfstick out tongue I try to make myself clear but I don't hide it. I like the french accent. Its probably the coolest. It gives a certain charm big grin

happy kine
here in florida we have a heavy spanish speaking population and there are accent galore. i've become good at being able to tell the cuban accent vs. the puerto rican accent vs. the mexican accent vs. the spain accent... cubans usually have thick accents. puerto ricans have hardly any accent (they are practally the 51 state). but thats the advantage of living in sunny florida! i'm sure when i speak spanish i soung like a gringo.

shadow_angel
Here in Canada, we speak like americans stick out tongue No texas or any kind of accent like that, just plain american accents. Of course there's the acception of saying "eh", and NO, we don't say "aboot" stick out tongue The only people that say "aboot" are people in Newfoundland ad the frenchies, hehe big grin

Kes
Lol It would be fun to hear you happy kine.
Lol SA 'aboot' lol The Cigarret Somoking man from the x-files sometimes said 'aboot' stick out tongue

G.P
It is just because if we don't try to pronounce it in an english way... about = aboot (french ou is the same phoneme as english oo , but slightly shorter)

I don't !!!

G.P
Lol ! That sounds pretty cool wink smile

Baylin
Yeah but G.P. the accent is part of the charm of meeting foreign people. You should here me trying to speak french/italian (I'm less than useless with languages but I do try!) - I get the strangest looks cos I sound like a Brit from the north trying to be clever, and I invariably just confuse people! wink big grin

cermiestar
definitely hot.....
guys with an accent always sound hot.....

GroundedAgain
anyone here from northern north dakota? if so ya'll know what a pain it is when your relatives from other states laugh cuz ya talk really fast an cut of the end of your words. some people even think i have a foreign accent, it may be a little canadian o streching but thats as foriegn as i get

LilySatine
I have a fetish for Scottish, Irish, British and Australian accents.
love embarrasment

laughing out loud SA!! How true! I tend to say 'eh' quite a bit, and have slipped once or twice into saying 'aboot'. roll eyes (sarcastic)

ChinaNiki
I think those states closer to Canada sound a bit like Canadians, my relatives (upstate NY) do. But sometimes we talk really fast. So when I moved to South Carolina I ended up with a Southern accent. No one could understand me because South Carolina has a slow drawl and I was speaking super fast with it.

ChinaNiki
and even then the city accent was different from the country only a half hour out of town

LilMimister006
Mmm...a guy with british, french, or italian accents......http://www.killermovies.com/forums/images/moresmilies/drool.gif ..er..hehe hola..http://www.killermovies.com/forums/images/moresmilies/sweatdrop.gif
angel

Baylin
Easy tiger! cool

LilMimister006
hehehe i'm calm http://www.killermovies.com/forums/images/moresmilies/angel.gif

cermiestar
guys with french accents......wink

Ushgarak
Kes is right, every country has a variety of regional variations of accent.

Corran
I don't have an accent all the rest of you do though.

GroundedAgain
damn straight!!!!!!

ChinaNiki
you just think you don't have an accent
go somewhere else and you definitely have one

G.P
Well, gentle people, it seems that you're slightly straying from the subject... sad

Corran
I've been to many places and I still don't have an accent, but wherever I go they all do.

GroundedAgain
and i still say damn straight

Darth Vicious
I like french accents on beautiful girls and as a PuertoRican i often speak with a heavy accent like Tony Montana(Scarface) but i do it on purpose but i do hate people with accents that u cant understand a word they saying as i used to have when i move from PuertoRico to the U.S but our accents is what set us aside from everybody else, which is cool! Say helo to ma little frien!

julibug
you all know i like the british accents!!! like the cuban and puerto rican accents as well, though. i just have this thing for listening to alan rickman, though, hmmmm.

ChinaNiki
Aussies, matewink

skule
i am probably deviating from the actual subject but i would love to be able to speak english with a french accent, it sounds so sexy specially on a woman. Also the english accent sounds very sexy in a more pseudointelligent manner. But there are many diffrent english accents too some of which i can not understand at all. It almost sounds like a foreign language, any one from the UK or there abouts wanna add to that smile

Corran
English with an Italian or hispanic accent is prettier.

Kes
I meet a scott when I was in england, man she spook so fast it was really difficult to understand stick out tongue

Ushgarak
Heheheh...

Corran
I never understood anything Ush ever said he had a really weird accent, I think he actually sounded English.

Ushgarak
Shocking, aren't I?

Corran
See what I mean, anyone translate for me?

Ushgarak
Did you ever speak to Yazmin, Corran?

Kes
Lol

Corran
No, why?

Ushgarak
She sounded just like you, but female.

Corran
No, where was she from?

Ushgarak
Up Yorkshire way, closest city Manchester though.

Corran
Then she wouldn't sound like me, she would have an accent.

Ushgarak
Darn her... I guess I just can't tell her accent and your not-accent apart! Silly old me!

princess leia
does anyone not like australian accents? because im told we sound lazy and slangish.

Kes
I like it! I think it sounds very surf like stick out tongue You know...surfish stick out tongue

Korri
im fae scotland lol

BOPRecruit 16
i think it can be very interesting and sexy with certain accents. i think french is a pretty language, but so hard to learn. in one of my fanfictions, i have a character who has a french accent. since i don't know how to accent the words right since i've never had a character like that, it may sound a wee horrible, but oh well. i'm trying. oh yeah! certain aussie accents are great! hugh jackman and heath ledger's are devine. *he he* since i'm japanese, whenever i hear my relatives mix japanese and english in their speech, it sounds weird and corny. esp. when people do that in fics. ugh!

~battosai yuriko~

DemonicGambit
Since this about accents I figured I'd post. Just don't think I'm weird or anything. I have a genuine and honest question.

Um, is it strange for a person to have an accent they shouldn't? I'm from Vegas, yet at times I talk in a cajun accent... Is something wrong with me or what?

Rogue Jedi
i like latino accents.

finti
I am told I speak with an American accent, maybe because I used to live in Arkansas. But I have to believe there are traces of my western Norwegian in it as well. Ask Corran or Gundy they can tell you more about my accent

DemonicGambit
Hm, that helps me somewhat...maybe it ain't so strange

Rogue Jedi
nothing wrong with a cajun accent. my grandma is cajun.

DemonicGambit
I never said anything is wrong with them, I was just wondering why I talk in one, when I've never even been to Louisana.

Rogue Jedi
oh. you didnt say that.

DemonicGambit
Oh, I meant to...opps!

But yeah I didn't even know it was a cajun accent till last year around nov.

I just met with an old friend, she moved back and she told me I was talking in a cajun accent. Her family is from Louisana

Rogue Jedi
my gran is from morgan city, my gramps (deadnow) is from leesville, both in louisiana.

DemonicGambit
Her family's from New Orleans.

Rogue Jedi
i have friends in kenner, which is a suburb of new orleans.

DemonicGambit
I'm not too familer with the districts. I would like to go sometime to see if I really do talk like them, but being broke stops me from doing a lot of things

finti
a southern drawl is cool

DemonicGambit
um...thanx I guess....

Kes
Maybe you were talking with an accent because of your friends accent blink

happy kine
i work for a bank called south trust... i'm on the phone all day with either the souther accent or dell tech support in india... nothing but accents!! the guy i sit next to is from the philippians... heavy accent... its funny sometimes i have to translate accents...

DemonicGambit
But I had been talking like that for a while, she just told me what kind of accent it was. She had moved to arizona with her dad, then came back to Vegas, that's when she told me

Kes
blink Maybe because of Gambit stick out tongue

DemonicGambit
lol

could be, although I doubt that. But hey we never know

Rogue Jedi
im sure you have a lovely voice, gambit.

DemonicGambit
thank you.... I guess...

Rogue Jedi
you are welcome...i guess....??????????????????????????????

DemonicGambit
Okay switching topics!

Any one else have an accent?

General Kaliero
I don't actually have an accent, but I can fake British, Scottish, Irish, Indian, Russian (sorta), and Texan.

DemonicGambit
That's cool, I wish I could do any of those

Kes
We all have accents big grin Oh excepte(sp) Corran.

Dim
Slight Southern....when I'm riled.

Captain REX
Hello Dim!

No accent here, though some of my family is from the south as well. smile

DemonicGambit
I know, but I was just tired of talking about mine. So I figured I'd ask what others their where.

Kes
Well I have an accent when I speak english.
For some reason I have these traces of portuguese blink

finti
oh yes you do, you would have what we Europeans would call an American accent

Godshinto
I have a New Yorker accent. Foget about it....

Kes
laughing out loud Good one!

GroundedAgain
i've got one from mars, it's zactly the same as nord kodan though

finti
we know

GroundedAgain
sorry

le_sainte
i've got the power!

*raises hand*

got myself an italian accent!

MaverickIce
I like Brookyln accents... I dunno why.
I'm a first Generation American. I have a midwestern accent (if that's really an accent) but my father and mother had it really hard in life (my dad's first pair of shoes was at 14!)cause they are immagrants from Ethiopia. My mom doesn't have that bad of an accent but my dad has a very heavy accent. My Grandma who lives with us hardly speaks english at all...

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.