"temet Nosce"-maens What ?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Morpheus
"WILL IT EVER END "?

Kes
I thought it ment "Fear the night or dark(ness)." Thats what it sounds like lol

Stovenutts
what does it have to do with the matrix

neo_dragon
it means know thyself, the oracle had it hanging above the kitchen door in her apartment in the matrix. hey kes, i thought you'd know a little latin since portugese and spanish are closest thing to latin other than italian. oh well.

Kes
Yeh sometimes its similer (sp) other times it has nothing to do with it like in this case lol Latin is a dead language thou stick out tongue

rysdigital
latin is the official language of vatican city smile

nosce temet means 'know yourself'

Deimos_2003
Are you sure it's in Latin? It was the plaque outside the temple at Delphi in Ancient Greece. Yeah, the Oracle at Delphi. Sometimes I wonder how the W. Bros managed to get a storyline in around all the hidden references... wink

Deimos

rysdigital
yea it's latin, greek for 'know yourself' is

gnothi seauton. that was indeed what was written on delos smile

Korri
the W bros come out with some good references im impressed!! big grin

n3m0
Yes the Greek for know thyself is gnothi s'ayton or "γνώθι σ'εαυτόν". It was engraved on the oracle of Delphi - The center of the known world at that time - were Pythia prophesied the future chewing peppermint leafs wink.
The roman civilization which was founded and copied from the ancient Greek civilization translated it into the latin Fraze.
The exact translation from Greek means "knowledge in your self".

Korri
kewl

Kes
Alwyas learning stick out tongue

Korri
hee hee i did latin in skool 4 a year but i was crap & i always copied my friends homework coz i cudnt do the translations Llaughing out loudL

Ikobe
Yeah, from what I know the Etruscans were the first 'proper' European 'civilised culture' and were situated in and around Greece. They spread to Italy and became Romans, and the Etruscans that stayed became Greeks.

~Ikobe

Kes
The founders of the world stick out tongue

Korri
hee hee

Ikobe
Just wondering... is there ANYTHING in the world of the matrix that doesn't have a hidden meaning? wink

~Iko

PS. I'd LOVE to learn Latin...

Korri
cheese

Kes
That crap they eat!stick out tongue

Korri
yeah that n cheese ewww that wouldnt go well 2gethr

n3m0
ikobe>Actually i was talking about the civilization that spawned the philisophical idea of know thyself. The roman culture came after the greeks demize and through their conquests they compiled their culture.

rysdigital
actually, it just means 'know yourself'
γνώθι is imperative of 'to know' -> 'know'
σεαυτόν means 'yourself'.

i don't know where you got the 'knowledge in yourself' from stick out tongue

Crappybob
I thought is was latin for "Who didn't flush?"

n3m0
To σε comes from εις which means in to. So i got it from a freely translation of knowledge in your self which its semantics is the same as know your self. Except from the fact that the second translate is more on the subject since it implies an esoteric knowledge common at the time as the sign of a philosopher. - See Plato's Academy's sign.
My thoughts anyhow.

Korri
ok crappybob im really concerned abt ur osession with poo..its a bit scary lol jk

GABRIEL05
Thats not classical latin thats heathen "middle latin"

Korri
ask my pal Bad Hair Day he does latin

rysdigital
i dunno who thought you greek, but that's totally wrong stick out tongue

seauton means 'yourself', just as emauton means 'myself', and humas autous means 'yourselves' etc. it has nothing to do with eis (in(to)). it has to do with the pronomina being ego (me), su (you). therefor yourself has 'se-' in front of it.

it has nothing to do with philosophy either, sorry smile

Korri
i wish i had done standard grade now DAMN MISS HARRISON!!

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.