What's Wrong With The Lord Of The Rings? I'll Tell You...

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Mormegil
The Following is a list of what's wrong with the movie:
*No scouring of the Shire (RotK)
*Merry and Pippin are too silly to be taken seriously as knights (RotK)
*Eomer wasn't at Helms deep when he should've been there all along (TTT)
*Faramir wasn't supposed to try to take Frodo with him

The effects of each of those mistakes is hear listed:

The scouring of the Shire was easily one of the best battles in the entirety of the lord of the rings

Merry became a knight of Rohan and Pippin became a knight of Gondor, but being portrayed so silly in the movies, neither will be taken seriously in the last movie. what's more, Merry is so comical I cannot picture him stabbing the Nazguul without looking utterly rediculous.

There was no charge of Eomer's men down the mountain in the book, because in the book, Eomer was there the whole time. It's bad to have screwed that up because there was supposed to be a somewhat similar charge in the book, with the Rohirrim riding to the rescue of Minis Tirith.

Faramir was supposed to let Frodo go in the first place, not try to bring Frodo with him. You see, Faramir was supposed to be this unyielding presenxe that would not allow the ring to tempt him as easily as others would be tempted. Thatrefore, Faramir was supposed to go onwith his men having not been taken by the ring's power. Instead, however, they made Faramir try to take Frodo with him, making him no better than his impulsive brother Boromir. This imposed a severe degrade in character of Faramir, and I find it rather insulting.

Please add any failures about the movies as you see fit, or contradict my own complaints, if you wish. But know this; I have read The Book of lost tails 1 and 2, the Lays of Belariand, Unfinished tails, The Silmarilion, The Hobbit, And the Lord of the Rings trilogy. So, unless you've read as much or more than I have (which is fairly likely you may have), please don't contradict me. Because, if there's one thing that I understand, it's the Lord of the Rings.

Ushgarak
No, the Scouring of the Shire was nowhere NEAR one of the best battles; one of the dullest I have ever read. And the film changed Merry and Pippin into more comedic characters because that brought their scenes a LOT of interest they would not have otherwise had for the general public. This, again, is an important example of film-making vs. book making and it was a VERY good move- people LOVE the more comedic Merry and Pippin and only purists are offended by it.

The charge of the Rohirrim was led by Erkenbrand in the books but they didn't want to throw in too many extra characters so having Eomer do it instead (something they borrowed from the animated version) works just fine. It is hardly as if it de-rails the plot, any more than having Haltir turn up.

And they changed Faramir to make THOSE scenes more engaging for the film as well (as the nice-guy Faramir was far to dull to give those Frodo scenes any interest)

People have to LET GO of this idea that things have to be like the book in almost all respects! It would RUIN the films. Peter Jackson has done things just about rightl

Film and book are different. Film is reaching to a wider audience, not being made to satisfy purist book fans. Get used to it.

And please... no-one feel obliged to have read the whole of, or indeed to have read any of. the books to reply to or contradict this guy. I will remind people again that Peter Jackson has read EVERYTHING as well and is as true a fan as anyone who posts here, yet he was wise enough to see the need to make these changes.

People are going to love these films despite these petty little complaints of changes from the book- and most people probably more so than if these changes were not made.

fini
I'll tell u what is wrong with the LOTR movies, they were not long enough. People keep on griping that PJ left out this and that , but if they were gonna have to the movies in 3-4 hours and HAVE dialogue, they HAD to leave out stuff.
As said in aintitcool.com.... Peter jackson Would have GLaddly made a 7 day movie IF HE COULD.
So u pansies stop complaining !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Smllfry247
Awwww shut up!! Lotr rock my world

billyboyd4ever
THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU Ushgarak! people really need to get how the movies dont have to mirror the books. the books were fantastic, in fact im in the process of reading them over, but i find no fualt in peter jackson for changing it a little suit the audience. the movies probably wouldn't be quite as interesting w/out peter jackson's alterations (though it still would have been fine). for instance, int he movies merry and pippin provide a comic relief from all the seriousness of the rest of the movie. it is nessasary to have that or else the movies may seem dreary to the audience. so stop complaining ok!

undomiel
ya that is really true

STARDUST
Well since I didn't read the books I don't have a problem.

ewforeva
I didn't read the books so I think it's great. And even after hereing about the alterations I still don't care. Merry and Pippin are the bomb!!!!!

I also agree with Billyboyd4ever.

billyboyd4ever
thank you smile

undomiel
haha

chica16
oi

chica16
i can live w/o the scouring of the shire there will be enough action in this movie without it, i agree with the faramir part i always got the impression that he was teh complete opposite of boromir and wouldn't want the ring even if he saw it lying along side a road somewhere, merry and pippin are kind of silly but they were a little more serious in TTT, i thought the added eomer part was nice it was very exciting, none of these changes bother me too bad... not even the elves at helm's deep, these movies are more exciting cause they have a few changes

Mormegil
Okay, first thing's first. I am 15 years old (16 in October), and I am most certainly not a "purist." I just love The Lord of the Rings and all of Tolkien's work on Middle-Earth (i.e., the history and world of).

Merry and Pippin were funny and awesome in the first to movies because they never had to do anything very serious before the third movie. However, in The Return of the King, Merry is supposed to kill a Nazguul and Pippin is supposed to walk into a battle from which he knows he cannot survive (though he will), and these things are nothing compared to what they did before. I mean sure, they can do it and still have it be good, but I just can't respect Merry and Pippin as much for doing it.
As for the scouring of the Shire, That was not the worst or dullest battle in all the Lord of the Rings. I admit I was exagerting by saying it was one of the best, but it is one of my favorites. It is a favorite of mine because, well, Hobbits just totally rule, and you get to see them up in arms (somewhat literally, because not all had weapons) and fighting against full-grown men in open rebellion. I'm just so mad that they're not having it because, ever since I read it, I've been lokking forward so much to seeing it on screen.

Now then, one thing that I didn't mention was that the Elves weren't supposed to be at Helm's deep. I didn't mention this because I liked it, and I thought that it added a lot to The Two Towers. (That, I hope, is some evidence that I'm not a purist). I only mentioned the charge because I remembered an identical charge that happened when Rohan came to the rescue of Gondor in a battle many, many years before the time of the lord of the rings, and I mis-thought that it was in the Return of the King at some point. Granted, Rohan does come to Gondor's rescue in the Return of the King, but It's charge is over a flat plain. So I ask for that do be Ignored in my list, as I'd added it mistakenly.

Moving along, I added the thing about Faramir because I was just so dissapointed by the way that The Lord of the Rings portraide his character that I thought it was worthy of mention.

So, all in all, this message was supposed to be placed simply to voice my mind about how the movies were done. However, please note that I only mentioned the bad stuff because the good stuff would take days to write. There was just too much good stuff about it to write all of it, so I decided to write down what was, in my mind, the only really bad things, which, as you see, is a very short list.

Ushgarak
We all kinda just thought you said Minas Tirith instead of Helm's Deep, actually.

chica16
wooooo 150 days til ROTK

Phoenix
I think Peter Jackson did a great job. he couldnt possibly have created Lord of the Rings as we know and love it, because we all have conflicting ideas, and no-one would have liked it because he COULD NOT remain entirely true to the story. but, by using the template of tolkiens works, he could create a fantastical adventure that everyone could enjoy, and no one went with any preconceptions, no one said - thats not how tolkien wouldve wanted it, its not tolkeins, its PETER JACKSON's!

Phoenix
if that makes sense...

Mormegil
I know, I know, I know. I was just saying these things because I'm dissapointed that I won't be able to see the on film. I was looking forward to seeing them, but their not going to do it and I'll never get to see it the way I imagined. I know that it was his decision and I respect that, and I absolutely love the Lord of the Rings the way they filmed it. I just wish I could see it the other way, too.

P-NuT
Mormegil is going to make a great KMC poster in times to come.

Mormegil
Sorry, But I don't quite understand what you mean, P-Nut. However, for the meantime, I'll take it as a compliment...

fini
Hey whatever they do not put in the movies is most likely gonna be in the MASSIve DVD boxset being released next year so i not worry bout what they left out.

and all this talk bout Merry and Pippin not being serious enough is uncalled for......in the movie they ended before the transformation of their characters....... Pippin gets 'serious' after "the palantir' chapter.......which they did not reach in the movie and for Merry, his character also takes charge of its own about the same time ad pip.

and they were not that comical, u could see a change when they "tricked" treebeard to pass near to Isenguard.
Argh i guess people like to whine and complain enough

AGAIN i say be glad PJ had the balls to make this movie and its a DAMN GREAT one too !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mormegil
I agree with you on several points.
*There's a good chance some things will be in the DVD's
*Merry and Pippin's serious transformation has yet to take place
*The Lord of the Rings movies are great the way they are
*Peter jackson did have the guts to make the movie and I respect that
*People like to whine and complain; a universal fact

The most promonant dissapointment in my mind is the lack of the scouring of the shire. as i've said many times before, ever since I read that I have been looking forward to seeing it so much that when I found out they weren't going to have it, I was utterly let down. However, I do agree with Peter Jackson when he said that it just didn't make a good end to the movie, and I respect his decision. However, that still doesn't dismiss my total and utter dissapointment about them not having it. And the fact is, they didn't evenm film it, so they can't put something in an extended version or alternAte ending that they never filmed in the first place, now can they?

fini
yeah i know, we all ( we who have read the books) wanted to see pippin walking into the hobbiton with the armour of Gondor........but ah well life aint perfect..:-(

Mormegil
Tell me about it!

Mormegil
Not actually tell me... It was retorical...

Nefertite
Maby someone has wroten this before (I have no time to read so much) but all of you noticed on thing that Elves shouldn't be in Helm's Deep ! I wonder why Peter Jackson did that

Mormegil
Yeah, it wasn't supposed to be like that, but it's not a big issue because people here (including me) liked that.

Nefertite
Well, I don't think that's a big deal too. But this way makes movie different than books rolling on floor laughing

fini
OMG that bit with the leves was great.....i dont know how PJ knew that audiences would have loved the elves but i think that most people would have found it nearly impossible for the men at Helm's deep to survive till morning ON THEIR OWN.
But since everyone knew elves could kick a$$, putting the elves in Helm's deep made they're chances OF LIVING more beleivable.

AND COMEON WHO DIDN't LOVe the Shower of Arrows the elves let out from behind the wall ???????!!!!!!!!!!!!!

fini
leves??.........damn i cant spell and to imagine i just came out of an exam....
I MEANT say OMG that bit with the ELves was great..

iluvlotr!
If u were a real fan of Lotr, you would be happy just cuz they made a movie wouldnt u???!!! mad

iluvlotr!
i agree

Smllfry247
me 3 lol!

billyboyd4ever
yea i cant wait till novermeber 11th

Mormegil
Well, I am happy that they made the Lord of the Rings into movies, yes, but it's in people's nature to want more than they have, and I want more than PJ's giving. I know it's more than arrogant than to assume that a movie will be perfectly fitted to your own expectations, but it's not something I can control to want that. Wouldn't you want a movie to be exactly the way you'd like it? Of course I'm not expecting to have it perfect, nor am I expecting my complaints to make it happen, I'm just saying. Isn't this messageboard made for people to talk about The Lord of the Rings movie?

Sifer
I have to add a few things.

Any portrayals you have gathered from Faramir in the film is going to be cleared up in the Extended Edition. It will show you why he is like he is in the film.

Also as someone has already mentioned, Merry & Pippin's seriousness has only just started to be uncovered - just as it did in the book. I definately know that their roles will be prominent in Return of the King as it is in the book, and I have faith in both Billy & Dominic pulling off a terrific performance.

But let me also say this:

The Battle of Pelennor Fields

This is going to be the single most amazing battle ever to put on screen - I just know it. Think of it:

200,000 Orcs, Nazgul (incl. Witch King), Trolls.

The whole army of men, the army of the dead who are gonna arrive on Ghost Ships - OH YES! It's gonna be so amazing to see it finally come to life.

As for the scouring of the Shire, it definately isn't neccessary for the film or for the audience on a whole. But I have heard they are putting the Grey Havens in there so we are gonna get to see them aged a bit smile

Mormegil
Well, the grey havens bit is good, but one thing: You said that the army of the dead would be arriving on the ships, but that didn't happen in the book. Aragorn dismissed the army of the dead before getting on the ships in the book, so was this a mistake on your part or is the army of the dead going to come on the ships to Minis Tirith in the movie?

fini
hmmm.....anyone wanna see merry and pippin in what they'll be in ROTK???.....
Pippin is in Gondor's uniform and Merry in that of ROhan

fini
ok here are those pics smile

fini
AND

imhotep
I thought both Merry and Pippin showed their bravery in the batlle of the Mines of Moria inside Balin's tomb. Sure they are a bit of comic relief but they can get serious real quick.
As to the Scouring of the Shire...I think it would be necessary for us to, after almost 10hours of movie, return one way or another to the sanctity of the Shire. I know I'd love to see it again, when I first saw the Extended Edition of FOTR I just loved it. It's a real praise for the work they did there.

Sifer
Yes indeed - The EE of FOTR is a new film. The added scenes make it seem so anyhow. There is so much more depth to it.

Aragorn#1
Dude thats dumb so PJ left some stuff out who cares (i dont) but the movies were still the best movies ever made(i think)! The movie would be too long with ever single thing Tolkien wrote. So give PJ some credit he did a great job on the movies! mad

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.