Spiderman web cartridges

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

blackicedragoon
rolling on floor laughing I know in the movie there were no spidey cartridges, but in the cartoon there were so is there 2 different stories? and if there are do you think they should have had spidey use web cartridges. rolling on floor laughing

DemonicGambit
In the comic and cartoon Spidey used web-cartridges. But they figured it would be too hard to have them in the movie and hey the web's gonna be CG anyway.

And I totally think Spidey should have had them. Because in both the comic and cartoon, he built them himself. Showing that you know, education is good. If you have it you can swing from the Empire State Building!!

blackicedragoon
Yea, it would be cool if they used them in the movie.

http://www.killermovies.com/forums/images/moresmilies/usaflag.gif

Metroplex
Didnt Spidey igured out how to bild webbing after he was bitten by the spider??? I think he said that the spider that bit him also showed him the formula to make the webbing.

I think its cooler without the web cartriges because it shows how Spidey mutated into a human spider. But if he mutated the web shold come out from his ass.

borgasm???
well, since the movie went with organic webbing anyway, they should have introduced them with a scene where peter parker wakes up to find he can't get his blanket off because of all this white sticky goo everywhere, and he doesn't know where it came from. no messed yes whistle

BOPRecruit 16
i have read a book about making the movie of spider-man, and the reason that raimi and his crew didn't include web cardriges because they thought that a teenager wouldn't be that advanced or smart enought to invent them. to make things seem more realistic in the teenage world and mind. like demonic gambit said, it would be a wast of material and time. spidey doesn't have a whole lot of gadgets to play with, so the idea of having the web cardriges or not doesn't bother me.

KidRock
in the comics spidey had cartridges???? i thought he like built it inside of him along with the spider bite??? wow mind blower

DemonicGambit
He said the spider showed him how to make the webbing not the cartridge. I remember that episode.

borgasm???
peter being able to crack the code on the chemicals would have been more realistic than his organic webbing conveniently shooting out of his wrists.
they could of at least had him invent a tube from his ass to his palms.

Lt.Columbo
It wouldm be great if they were in the movie! He could finish a web cartrige whilst in the air and quikly have to change, it'd be cool!

LanceWindu
Now that would be sweet.

Seeing him racing himself for his own life.

DemonicGambit
He used to just have the refill cartridges in his hidden belt or something, then when he ran out just pop in a new one.

Darth Vicious
Also there were times when he ran out completly while in mid air and had to improvise to get himself out of that predicament, i wouldve like to see the cartridges and since peter is a science nerd it wouldve made perfect sense!

DemonicGambit
Yeah, darn those movie makers

DeepThought
Thats why he always had that trademark middle and ring finger in the palm of his hand; thats where the button to shoot the web was. They kept the finger position for the movie and made it a reflex or something I suppose.

Me and my friends felt it worked good both ways, but cartidges would have indeed been cool. Of course, the Spidey of the movie is nowhere near the geek the comic book one was... If he had tried to make web cartridges, that would've been the whole movie... wink

DemonicGambit
lol!!!

mechmoggy
During the early days of the Spidey comic, there was numerous occasions when his web cartridge would run out at crucial moments. It became a bit of a cliche and so not at all suprising any more that they kinda phased that occurance happening at all.

I understand it would have proven interesting to see in the movie, but when you've seen it happen in the early comics a gajillion times, its not as tempting any more.

As a point of interest, spiders web is increadibly strong and engineers have long been trying to find ways of re-producing the stuff in sufficient quantities to use in industry. Not so long ago they succeeded in trials to put the "spider web" producing gene into goats, who then produced milk with the crucial web-stuff in. Cool eh? cool

DemonicGambit
Whoa.....

buzzerk
I have a trailer on my hard drive that actually shows peter paker in his room with the web cartridges on his wrist, sam raimi changed his mind and made the webs 'biological' during filming. This is one of the removed trailers after the sep 11th incident. If you want to see the trailer with the web shooters, send me your icq and I'll send it to you.
Peace.

buzzerk
blink

Vim
I thought it was a new twist on Spidey, and the changing cartridges would get old. But a friend gave a good point, the running out of web, was one of Spidey's few weaknesses, if you think about it, ol' Webhead has very few weaknesses. He can sense an attack before it comes, is super strong and fast, has projectile weaponry (make a tight ball of web and shoot it like a slingshot BAM!). He can practically fly, and the talk about the web coming out his butt, well a spider's anatomy and human's are very different, as it is with most insects... whistle Anyway, i thought the webbing being there automatically was good idea.

masterofmatrix
whats an icq

buzzerk
icq is like windows messenger or yahoo messenger, dude.

BOPRecruit 16
do you have any pictures instead of that trailer by any chance?

buzzerk
sorry, I only have the trailer. No jpegs I'm sorry.

Remember, if you got a tenners worth of quids, and a bloke got a quids worth of tenners, he will make you buy the drinks.

dinoman200
If he did have web cartridges when the green goblin steps on his wrist in the end he would smash the cartidge. Spidey would have to rebuild the web cartridges all the time if he had them. That may be why he dosen't have them in the movie

ragesRemorse
it was probably a good idea to bi-pass the whol cartridge deal though, they had enough to concentrate on rather than spending and extra half hour trying to spoon feed to the un intellectual public on how peter can make webbing, but the cartridges did rock he even mixed different chemicals in the weebing in the comics like liquid nitrogen creating freezing web amongst a bucnh others like poisen web and fire web from what i can remember

tonn-and
Is there anyone that have a few pictures of the web cartridges?

or where i could get one?

tonn-and
PLEASE! I have not found darn picture jet!

ragesRemorse
what you mean like from the comic books or somthin?

tonn-and
confused I mean from the movie?

Where can i get a few pictures of the web cartridges the was going to have in the movie?

CaptainInsano
I think Sami Rami just wanted to take a different approach and make Spider-man more animalistic just like I spider.

tonn-and
Is there anyone that have made the webshooter? I was on voy.com one day and there i read that there was to that actully made the webshooters! And one of them have made the webshooters could hold up to 300 pounds pressure! Thats huge! I emailed them but they don't reply!

And is there anyone that now a way to make the webshooters?

And is there anyone that knows where i could get some pictures og the webhooters?

ragesRemorse
a rope, a grappling hook and a cannon, theres our web shooter. primitive but it works

DemonicGambit
laughing out loud

tonn-and
So it not true about those people that built the webshooter at voy.com?

ragesRemorse
if it were dont you think you would know more about it or it would be marketed

tonn-and
You have probly right!
But where can i find information about the webshooter in the comic?

ragesRemorse
comic books..lol naw i have a picture sort of of it if you want to see it

mknight666
I liked when they made Spidey 2099 with biological webbing but I miss having the original Spidey having his webshooters. And as someone pointed out, having him run out of webbing was part of the drama in the fight.

ragesRemorse
yeah parker made all kinds of webbing the only two i can remeber he expierimented with is poison and exploding i know there were more, but unfortunatley his expirimentation webbing diddnt go over to well with fans. I liked it

i think i remmeber in 90's cartoon Peter said he used plain old crackers as an ingredient in his web fluid...maybe i'm just smoking something but i swear i saw an episode like that

ragesRemorse
crackers? sounds like spidey is a pothead with ingenious ways to cure the munchies

techdude50
ultimate webbing just makes the symbiote a little less powerful than spiderman, that's probably why they did it in the movie.

Spider-Dan
At one point, Spider-Man decided to improve his webshooters. He remade them with new materials to allow him to shoot his webbing farther than before. He also included a LED sensor to act as a gage. It would work like a gas tank gage and light up when he was running on empty. While on a streak, he decide to incorporate a mechanism to deploy his spider-tracers from his webshooters, located at the back of his hand.

Mr Parker
you dont really believe that lame a$$ explanation do you? the whole thing of spiderman is unbelieveable,and there are many other things in that movie a lot more unbelieveable than that,if anything a person getting the powers of a spider to stacik to walls ect from a spiderbite is one of many things in that movie a lot more unbeliebeable than that,they only did not use the mechs because they wanted to make their own little version and did not care in the process about pissimg off the fans.

badsymbiote
Sure, we could nitpick the entire movie apart frame by frame and point out every anachronism, violation and deviation from the books, but the filmmakers have to make the film appealing and understandable to millions upon millions of people who have never read comics. They won't understand the debate about organic web shooters or cartridges. They won't realize that Marvel movies continually dispose of characters that have been in comics for years but in a movie will die in the movie in which they are introduced. They won't know about Capt. Universe Spidey or Scarlet Spidey, and you can bet that the introduction of the symbiote will be a difficult concept for many to grasp. What I'm saying is, they have to keep it very simple, or people won't come back for the next.
I have been irritated many, many times by the inaccuracies and inconsistencies in Marvel's movie adaptations, but I try to remember to just try to enjoy it. It helped for me to watch it with someone who has never seen it, and I encourage them to ask me questions, if they have any. When I watch my niece or one of my sons' expressions, I realize the reason that they tell the story the way they do. It doesn't always help, but more often than not, it does. If that doesn't work, I try to remind myself that Stan Lee signed off on it, and it's usually had for me to be irked. roll eyes (sarcastic) Then I just try to go with it.

Red Superfly
I always considerred the movie to be highly enjoyable. It's constantly on Sky Movies at the moment, and is on almost every weekend sometime, and I STILL watch it. I have it on DVD and yet I still watch it, I know every line. I actually love the movie.

Still hate the Goblin costume though (Oh yeah brought it back onto the Goblin costume, muahahahahaha!!!!).

Spiderman_RJ
GOBLIN COSTUME WAS AWESOME, u kids wanted that clown thing from the comics what a lame!!!!!!!!!!!!!! it scared nobody. norman did

Red Superfly
Nope, never wanted the comic version either, because it WOULD have looked silly.

Comic Goblin - silly.

Movie Goblin - silly.

They should have had Norman in a flight suit that more resembled skin, and because he was insane, he added torn dark purple clothing to it or something, and a big Spawn-like cape. Look at Phil Urichs Green Goblin (the crime-fighter lol) on how to make a bad-ass Goblin.

Spiderman_RJ
phil suit was harry last stand ones

TheVenomSymbiot
The "official" reason for the lack of web shooters (from the official SpiderMan movie magazine) was it would make Parker to "unrelatable".

Mr Parker
and whats so laughable about that explanation is that we are suppose to be able to relate to a guy with webbing coming out of his wrists?okay whatever. laughing

Mr Parker
hardly,many people laughed at that lame a$$ alien from outer space costume.sorry that costume was MORE lame and more of a clown outift than the one from the comics.

Spiderman_RJ
it wasnt and here no one laughef at it cos no one ever knew the other

badsymbiote
We all know how you feel about the movies, Mr Parker. That having been said, VenomSymbiot just confirmed what I've already said. Organic Web Shooters are just alot more easy for people to understand. And Mr Parker, webbing shooting out from the wrists is just as unlikely as inheriting the ability to wall crawl or be warned of impending danger via spider-sense. It's all unlikely--that's what makes it interesting. There are simply going to have to be many, many points that they have to gloss over if they mean to cover any portion of 30+ years worth of story and material.

Mooky
The point it that the majority of the audience will be able to more relate to the webbing being a part of his powers than a teenager super duper genius. What made Spiderman a special superhero over the last 40 years was that he was an "everyman" superhero. He was just like one of us. He had normal problems like the rest of us normal people. He got chewed out by his boss, he had trouble paying his bills, he was late to class, his aunt was sick, etc., etc. Making him a super duper genius would make him less accessible to a regular person. The Spiderman character is not a self-pitying super genius like Bruce Banner, nor is he an alcoholic billionaire like Tony Stark. He's a normal guy, who just happened to have super powers. That is Spiderman's appeal, not the fact that he has homemade webshooters.

As for the argument that the natural webbing would make for less drama, that also makes no sense. I've always thought it was nonsense for Spiderman to run out of web fluid. Think about it for a second, if you were a superhero fighting psychopathic supervillians who are bent on killing you, wouldn't you make sure you ALWAYS carried enough webbing? Especially since it's your main mode of travel? That's like Batman running out of gas for his Batmobile. You never see that drama played out do you? Oh no Robin! The Batmobile's out of gas!We'll never catch the Joker now! Running out of web fluid isn't dramatic, it's fake drama created by either lazy or uncreative writers.

Superhero movies will always ask to suspend a great deal of belief. The whole idea of superpowers is just not reality. Then the idea that some people with superpowers won't abuse them is also a little ridiculous. Think about it, Peter Parker in the real world could be the greatest athlete the world has ever known at any sport. He could make $20 million an year playing basketball easy. He could hole in one every golf shot with his "spider sense." Hell, he could play all the sports since he also has superhuman stamina. Baseball, basketball, hockey, football, golf, tennis, olympics, he'd be the best at them all. Why not have him be a hoops player as Peter Parker, then he could live in a big ol' mansion with his Aunt May and he'd never have to worry about money again, and still go out when he needs to as Spiderman. That would make for a boring storyline though. The trick is making the target audience identify with the protagonist. In this, Sam Raimi did a remarkable job. I'd go as far as saying that it's even better than Tim Burton's Batman, which also took a lot of liberties with the mythos (which has an even larger body of work behind it than Spiderman). I can't wait for Spiderman 2. From the trailers I've seen, it looks like it's gonna be another winner.

Daywalker
He also had a utility belt full of web cartridges in the comics. The earlier comics anyway.

shadowdancer36
I just had this convo with someone who is a hard core comic collector (let her tell it) I wasn't fortunate enough to read all of them, so maybe one of ya'll could back me up?

She said the movie was on point when it came to his natural webbing. I for one don't remember that. I always remembered him having web caps.

Quote from our convo:

Her: NO he wasn't the one that made the caps
Her: #1
Her: #2
Her: the caps didn't show up untill spiderman issues 120
Her: people keep getting it backwards
Her: after he mutated into the spider monster type thing
Her: the antidote that was givin to him caused him to loose the ability to make webbing on his own
Me:Oh ok erm
Her: I don't know where people are getting this Caps first crap

How true is this? I can't argue something I'm not sure on. Can anyone back this up?

Red Superfly
What?

You mean she told you he only made his webshooters after the man-spider mutation?

No, on Marvels website the first ever spider-man comic is there. He had the webshooters from the start (if thats what u mean by "caps"wink and always has done.

shadowdancer36
Can u give a link to that? I can't seem to find anything on it.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.