Open Range

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Max Power
I'm kind of a sucker for Westerns, personally. My Dad watched them all the time when I was a kid and I'm ready for a genre revival. There were so many Westerns in the 90s -- what happened?

Leave it to Robert Duvall and Kevin Costner to come back with a great one. Caught the trailer for Open Range before T3 and it looks pretty good. Costner directs and acts but Duvall has the lead role.

It'll be a nice mini-break from so many CGI summer movies I've been seeing.

what do you guys think?

ChinaNiki
this one definitely looks goodwink

Max Power
absolutely. I'm glad to see that Annette Bening is in this. I don't think I've seen her in anything since American Beauty.

ChinaNiki
Kevin Costner should stick with films about the Old West. He seems to do his best in those kind of story lines. I think the first time I saw him was in Silverado.

Max Power
this is definitely the genre where he's had the most success. I think he has clearly always admired the Westerns he grew up with and wants to put his own stamp on them.

I'm looking forward to seeing htis one. Any idea when reviews come out?

ChinaNiki
Probably in a week or so. I think the movie open in the first or second week of August.

Adroit
Looks very promising, but nothing will top the best western of all time: Tombstone.

Max Power
nothing has to top Tombstone, IMO its just good to get another western into the theaters. We had a whole flood of them in the 90s and then poof. Nothing.

Dark Horizons has posted a strong review for Open Range. Interesting take on the characters and storyline having a strong sense of place in the world. I'm looking forward to seeing this in action.

GABRIEL05
Ahhhhh westerns, nothing quite like watching you pale faces run around killing poorly portrayed Native Americans, taking their land, razing their villages, then calling them the bad guys in your low budget movies filmed in Italy...

Oh, and giving them crappy supporting roles with names like TONTO (which means stupid in espanol) and Lightfoot

but if you ignore all that, they're not so bad to watch. I personally liked the Billy the Kid series
sings "I'm going dooooooooooown in a blaze of GLORY!!!"

You can call me Chief Slap-a-ho

Max Power
well, yes. Some older westerns do have those aspects but I don't think its universal.

Open Range is about the duel between open range cowboys and those that want to fence the land and restrict their movement. Its more about personal rights and independence.

Billybobbed

Max Power
Robert Duvall is getting some early Oscar buzz for his Open Range role. At first I thought this was a little early for Oscar talk but if Seabiscuit can get some...

either way, I'll be able to judge for myself on the 15th!

Billybobbed
Well, Open Range has been getting really good reviews this whole week, so I think I am going to check it out tonight. (Not to mention, I am excited to see Diego in his coyboy attire!)
Anyone else have plans to see it this weekend?

Max Power
good reviews are cropping up. This one may do pretty well opening weekend. CHUD gave it the green light.

ragesRemorse
i dont know, i would deffaintly like to some more westerns, but kevin costner? especially at derecting but time will tell and hopefuly its good my favorite is young guns though LOL

Mr Parker
Originally posted by Max Power
I'm kind of a sucker for Westerns, personally. My Dad watched them all the time when I was a kid and I'm ready for a genre revival. There were so many Westerns in the 90s -- what happened?

Leave it to Robert Duvall and Kevin Costner to come back with a great one. Caught the trailer for Open Range before T3 and it looks pretty good. Costner directs and acts but Duvall has the lead role.

It'll be a nice mini-break from so many CGI summer movies I've been seeing.

what do you guys think?
great flick,one of costners best.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.