Dog Soldiers

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

mechmoggy

BackFire349
yeah. awesome movie.

TedO
But... if I din't collet the $200, how can I affored to rent it :P

mechmoggy
If you don't like it, I'll happily send you your money back. big grin

BackFire349
it'll be worth the 3 bucks to rent. trust us.

ragesRemorse
Dog soldiers is a solid movie, it was real entertaining had a good build up and its climax wasnt a dud it cam all over the place

mechmoggy
I watched this on DVD again today and noticed how many Brit slang words are used throughout.

How do you Americans cope with all the British lingo in this film?

BackFire349
we ignore it and listen to actual words, the few there are smile

Silent-Bob77
Awesome film!! Good to see a British film getting some respect!! Funny and gross, with pretty cool werewolves too. Got it on DVD and it is well worth the cash.

cool

ragesRemorse
yeah, ive enver really seen a werewolf movie i enjoyed as much as this, well wolf was fun and howling could have been if it diddnt start out so damn slow then go to a horrible ending better story would have made howling great, diddnt anyone see the howling where there in the castle and its like a mystery because people know someone is a werewolf i thought that was good but any way i loved dog soldiers

BABOON
this post deserves to be revived because so many of the newer horror movies are such crap that its rare to see a good one.if you havent seen dog soldiers yet go rent it...NOW!!! evil face

Striel
I think this is one of the best werewolf movies ever made. It is very dark and it don't get AS cheesy as those types of movies tend to get *cough* Gingersnaps *cough*

I would recommend this movie to ANY horror fan!

DeNiro
i saw it cause i saw wicker man's avatar one day or sig or sumthing like that and i was in blockbuster saw the same pic on the bakc of that moives box so i rented it and i liked it a hole lot this movie kicks ass it is very very funny great monsters and not to mention that all the guys r like irsh or sumthing cause irish rule but ne way great moive luved it and the best line in the whole frickin movie is this one

I hope i give u the SHITS....

ragesRemorse
they were english but i dont think that matters theres not much difference now is there atleast not when your american smile but yeah that was a great line

Cinemaddiction
I remember renting it the day before it was out, since I worked for what was then called "Video Update", now "Movie Gallery".

I rented it again, and can't say i was too impressed. The pacing of the action sequence seemed very rhythmic.

It was a slooooooooow first 1/2 hour, then there was a solid 5 minutes of action. 30 minutes of dialogue, 5 of action, up until the last 15 minutes which was an all out war. Unfortunately, it didn't quite make me a believer.

Props on the solid acting, dialogue, and lycanthrope costuming, but the action being being supressed and condensed really took away from it.

Zilverz
awesome movie... i took backfires recommendation a while back and ordered the DVD .. it was backorder for a while ... but when it came in it was well worth the wait... Awesome movie!

I liked all of the chacters... the werewolfs looked really cool... although there mouths didnt move much .. the costumes were still great

Highly Recommend this Movie

DeNiro
I wish I could see some of his recommendations most of the movies that he has seen i cant see because they dont sell them here in america I know he lives in California but still he has somehow gotten his hands on alot of these great movies

SlipknoT
I love this movie. I saw it a while ago, but a few days ago I got it at blockbuster for $7!

beatmaster
right there is a tune in this film that i can not put a name to and it is really bugging me. During a scene in the woods, they are walking, and whistling a tune. does any body know what the tune is? please somebody!

HockeyFace
Dg Soldiers- Proving once again why Brits are better than us in horror.

Darkseed
IF the cash is given to the right person, 28 DL (Danny Boyle), DS (Neil Marshall), only if it`s given to the right person, i totally agree that DS is a truelly excellent movie, one of my favourite`s ever.

Darkseed
No they are not better than the us, they may have one or two talented guys in the form of Danny Boyle & Neil Marshall but the talented one`s are few and far between.

the us has:

John Carpenter.
Don Coscarelli.
George A Romero.
Tobe Hooper.
Wes Craven.

the uk has:

the hammer horror team (from the past).
Neil Marshall (Dog Soldiers).
Danny Boyle (28 Days Later).

the us has better horror film makers than the uk, thats fact, if the uk film industry would start looking out for the new Danny Boyle`s and the new Neil Marshall`s then we would be back and we would be better than hollywood (mainstream & independent, maybe).

kimahri03
the Brits are better trained in combat

kanis
alien I watched dog soldiers and i thought the gore in it was brilliant and the plot. And how they made the werewolves is creative and scary.

Darkseed
Um...what the blinking`ell has that got to do with movies and comedies ? confused , i know the british are the best trained army in the world, my dad was in it during the 1950`s hunting the commie scum in the Malaysian Jungle , they are the best trained but poor equiped, thanx to that t*t rash "Tony Fanny Boz Blair" and his goons squad called labour, giving them not enough equipment and p*ss poor guns, where is the AK47 or the M16 they are far superiour to the SA80, hell the MP5 is better than the (SA80, which is not reliable).

kimahri03
but still we beat every country that we fight even though were not a big country

HockeyFace
I love the Brits just for Hammer/Amicus/and their Gothic Fanatsy Horror.

kanis
alien Well i read that we might be getting the P90 automatic rifle.

eggmayo
to be honest, im english and half the words in dog soldiers, like bone (shit) are not actually used in england > except maybe in london or in the army

dean7879
in each part of england people will have differnt sayings..

eggmayo
yep. im from leicester, am i dont understand my scouse uncle

shaber
It's unusual for films to depict British army soldiers in a good light. Recall 28 Days Later?

Evil Dead
oh yeah........then why am I posting right now from the United States of America and not from one of the American Colonies?

I'm just playing with you.........but 'tis fact.

The best army in the world is the Chinese. They would be almost unstopable against any country.......they would never lose a war on their home soil. There are too damn many of them. They would simply win through attritian. Any army in the world could kill 10 Chinese soldiers to each of their own........at the end of it all, all of your military would be dead and the Chinese would still have more soldiers than are in your military right now.

zombieman
How can you possibly talk about the Brisish army with any pride?? Just look at what they have done to the people of Iraq, it makes me sick to my stomach that I am the same species as them, never mind the same nationality.

Wolfie
Dog Soldiers is an awesome movie.

dean7879
whats wrong with the british army...just cos one or two pricks start to act like a right bell end...doesnt mean everyone else in the army should be branded evil

zombieman
Oh come on, these are people who want to go out and kill for their country, their not likely to be of the highest moral fibre are they? I picked up a paper only today and read how four British soldiers beat an Iraqi hotel worker to death.

ChickinMeat
Dog soldiers is a great movie, with some really great bits to it, i might considering aquiring the DVD at somepoint.

ladygrim
most def .. at least it aint a cheesy horror

ChickinMeat
but sometimes cheesy horror can be excellent to watch

ladygrim
yeah if u wana a laugh

ChickinMeat
very true

ladygrim
yup lol

Cinemaddiction
Hey! I rented the movie again since I last posted, and I finally warmed up to it. I found it this afternoon at the pawn shop for a mere $4!

Wolfie
I'd have to agree with you though that the beginning did go kinda slow. The nice werewolf action and the gore was well worth it though! Of all the werewolf movies I've seen, I'd have to say this had the best costumes.

ragesRemorse
the beginning was a bit slow, but it was worth it because the dialogue between characters was actually interesting and entertaining. Or maybe it was just the accent s

MildPossession
I am interested in how the sequel turns out.

T.M
i liked this movie think it should have finsihed after he said They think its all over it is know instead of showing him walking out of the house. just a thought i had smile

Originally posted by MildPossession
I am interested in how the sequel turns out.

they making a sequel ??

didnt know this should be interesting.

MildPossession
Yep, it's called Dog Soldiers: Fresh Meat. It follows on from the original, following Cooper.

T.M
yeah i just read bout it on imdb.com

looks interesting yes

Wolfie
They want to make a whole franchise out of this.

Ketchuptome

Cinemaddiction
Originally posted by ragesRemorse
the beginning was a bit slow, but it was worth it because the dialogue between characters was actually interesting and entertaining. Or maybe it was just the accent s

"Dog Soldiers" had ****ing EXCELLENT, Tarantino level dialogue.

"We are now up against live, hostile targets. So, if Little Red Riding Hood should show up with a bazooka and a bad attitude, I expect you to chin the *****." - Wells

"If we do happen to make contact, I expect nothing less than gratuitous violence from the lot of ya. Because we're firing blanks doesn't mean we have to be thinking nice thoughts. So you remember, you keep the fire down, right, you get stuck in and you kick their ****ing teeth out, or I guarantee you, Joe, they will be eating your bollocks for breakfast, sunshine." - Wells

Deano
haha quality dialogue
cant wait for the sequel

T.M
thats an awesome quote i got it in my profile big grin

papabeard
Originally posted by Darkseed
No they are not better than the us, they may have one or two talented guys in the form of Danny Boyle & Neil Marshall but the talented one`s are few and far between.
the us has:
John Carpenter.
Don Coscarelli.
George A Romero.
Tobe Hooper.
Wes Craven.
the uk has:
the hammer horror team (from the past).
Neil Marshall (Dog Soldiers).
Danny Boyle (28 Days Later)."

Don Coscarelli. ( imo only good film is Bubba Ho-Tep and not even pure horror)
What about Stanley Kubrick and Sam Raimi?

Also britain has made many more good horror films than you have mentioned, how about,
The Wicker Man( and Darklands welsh update of the wicker man)
Hellraiser (Mofo!)
Alfred Hitchcock
Shaun of the Dead
Alien/s(Ridley Scott)
Dont Look Now
original CHildren of the Damned(remade by Carpenter)
The Devils (By Ken Russell)
The Haunting
My Little Eye
Creep
The Last Horror Movie
Peeping Tom
Lifeforce
The Omen
10 Rillinton Place

Cinemaddiction
Eh, now you're splitting credits for good movies to prove a point, lol.

Alien/Aliens were written by Dan O' Bannon..from TEXAS. Scott only directed the first, which doesn't make it HIS movie. The reason I point that out is because while "Lifeforce" was written by a UK writer, it was directed by Tobe Hooper of the U.S. I, being a yank, wouldn't take credit for that film.

That said, the U.S. has nothing on foreigners when it comes to Horror, other than some traditional slasher lore.

Deano
carry on screaming!! great british horror spoof

wazz
I saw this movie, it was very good. the good thing it was english and not yanks

Cinemaddiction
They were Scots, actually.

wazz
Ok, don't go mardy

Cinemaddiction
Well, there's a difference, Be glad I didn't take offense to you being Anti-Yank, lol.

ragesRemorse
Originally posted by Cinemaddiction

Alien/Aliens were written by Dan O' Bannon..from TEXAS. Scott only directed the first, which doesn't make it HIS movie. The reason I point that out is because while "Lifeforce" was written by a UK writer, it was directed by Tobe Hooper of the U.S. I, being a yank, wouldn't take credit for that film.

Iknow it is off topic, but i am wondering why you think a movie shouldnt be credited to the director if it is written by someone else.
dude, scott deserves just as much credit for alien as Bannon does. I just dont understand your rationale on why alien shouldnt be as much scotts as it is gigers and Bannons. Wasnt it the vision of Scott that brought the movie to life?

and as for the US having nothing on horror when it comes to forigeners. I am yet to see a foriegn movie cause such an impact in the world of horror like Jaws, the excorcist, psycho, TCM and silence of the lambs. America definently has the most bombs in horror, but it also has the best. we can compare lists till the cows come home, but american horror is probably the most universal.

Cinemaddiction
I think the writer should recieve more credit, personally. Not all of it.

ragesRemorse
I agree with you, that writers defenintly need to be given credit where credit is due. I know when a movie does exceptional it is the directors or actors who get ALL of the credit, but when a flick does poorly the writers are the first on the firing line. Being a writer is probably the worst gig to have in hollywood, atleast in the world of gig's that matter.

papabeard
Originally posted by ragesremorse:

"and as for the US having nothing on horror when it comes to forigeners. I am yet to see a foriegn movie cause such an impact in the world of horror like Jaws, the excorcist, psycho,"

Psycho was written by Robert Bloch an American and directed by Hitchcock a Brit, so shouldnt be included as american as such, anyway there is a thread about which country produces the best horror.

www.killermovies.com/forums/f58/t344442.html

MotMotMot
Originally posted by Cinemaddiction
They were Scots, actually.

Only Cooper was Scottish actually stick out tongue IIRC the others were from Newcastle(Go us Geordies eek! ) // London.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.