Summer Reading

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Phoenix
anyone got any reccomendations for summer reading? i need some light paperbacks i can shove in my shoulder bag - nothing longer than 400 pages, i only want light reading.

Tired Hiker
I've almost finished the Hobbit. You've probably read it already, but if you have not, it is truly a fantastic adventure.

Phoenix
i read it for the first time when i was seven. i still enjoy it now, but nothing can compare to the first magical time you read such an amazing book as that!! I almost prefer it to LotR cos its simpler and more beautiful. LotR is sophisticated, elegant and challenging, but the Hobbit is such a wonderful tale, LotR films win over it, but not the books.

Tired Hiker
Yeah, I put down LotR to read the Hobbit. I'll continue where I left off after I finish The Hobbit. The Hobbit is a shining example of how 'less is more.'

Phoenix
yupsies! who else agrees?

Phoenix
i mean, dont get me wrong, lotr was great, i just feel he didnt need to describe the colour and texture and position and flavour of every last blade of grass!! (slight exaggeration there, but you know what i mean! he described things in too much detail, which was cool, cos then you could fix it in your head, but then you had your own image that was cooler, and didnt want to read about all that, and were like HURRY UP AND GET ON WITH THE STORY!) teehee, my brackets were longer then my actual point!

ChinaNiki
try Herland by Charlotte Perkins Gillman

It's not very long

cermiestar
day of the tryffids by john wyndam is great!

Baylin
The hobbit, truley excellent!

I usueally go for 2nd hand books when going away theres loads available so you should be able to find something and it doesn't matter if it gets trashed!

-=Urot=-
You can try the Left behind Series by Tim LaHaye and Jerry Jenkins. The first book Left Behind is only 463 page.

http://www.leftbehind.com

This is a christian book series, but you dont have to be a christian to read them.

In All the series only has 12 books to it. Right now its on it 11th book.

1.Left Behind
2.Tribulation Force
3.Nicolae
4.Soul Harvest
5.Apollyon
6.Assassins
7.The Indwelling
8.The Mark
9.Desecration
10.The Remnant
11.Armageddon
12. Glorious Appearing - Coming March 2004

They also have a really good childrens book series as well.

Enjoy. smile

Dexx
right now..i'm reading some truly genial (to die laughing) stuff.
three small books.
'politically correct bed time stories'
the guy basicly mocks the main childhood stories (lil' red riding hood, three lil pigs, etc.) it's great!

Phoenix
sounds cool dexx! whose it by?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.