Some Elvish Mythology And Historical Facts

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Mormegil
The world of Middle-Earth is very much based in old norse Mythology. The names Gandalf, Durin, Loki, and many more appear in Norse myths. The actual name "Middle-Earth" is translated from the land in Norse myths called "Midgard."

The creator of the world in The Lord of the Rings was known as Iluvatar by some, Eru by others. Eru Iluvatar first created the Ainur, lesser beings though still of great power, to entertain him with music. The most powerful among the Ainur was Melkor. Each of the Ainur were created with a different way of singing at heart, and each one's music was unique. Over time they grew in harmony, and as their cooperation increased, Eru iluvatar showed them more and more melodies and rhythms, allowing the Ainur to make fairer and fairer music. But alone among the Ainur, Melkor became proud and greedy, knowing that he was the greates Ainur, and wanting more than anyone else. Thus, in secret, he began weaving songs and harmonies of his own design, and his heart began to grow dark. When singing together, slowly Melkor weaved in his own music, and before long he had begun to corrupt the harmony among the others. Realizing what was going on, Eru Iluvatar began to sing himself, weaving mor fair and wonderful music than ever the Ainur had even imagined. But Melkor rose to the chalenge, and he began weaving in hatred and deceit, and utterly blackening the joyous feeling of the Ainur around him, and they were confused. Then Iluvatar, unable to force Melkor unto his will, held up his hands and quenched the music in an utter and total silence. He then told them of the importance of their music, and how the great power of the Ainur had been so vast that it spilled upon the void outside the palace and made a world, a lone globe sitting in the darkness. Then Eru Iluvatar showed them how they each had created and formed things across the world, giving it shape and structure. And Eru then told them that it was their job to see that the world evolved over time as it had in his music; for it was that Eru Iluvatar had woven things into being through the Ainur, and the children of Iluvatar were born into existance. He showed the Ainur many things to come; that the Elves would wake, firstborn of the children of Iluvatar. Next would be Men, the followers. Upon the Elves Iluvatar imposed a gift; that they would have immortal life. Upon the Men he bestowed a far stranger gift; that Men should always look for more, greater things than what are around them. That they shall never find peace, and always strive for things beyond their grasp, and thus would often attain it. But not for many years would the children of Iluvatar awaken, and the Ainur were to ready the world for them. Thus then did the Ainur descend upon the Earth, and they built themselves the mighty realm of Valinor, some ways off the coast of what was called Middle-Earth.

This has been the first installment of the Tolkien Mythology and history. Should this get good reviews (from those who haven't read the Silmarilion), I will tell of the rise of Melkor as the first Dark Lord Morgoth, whos senior officer was no other than Sauron, (Melkor was much more powerful), and I will finish with the fall of Morgoth and the rise of Sauron to power.

P-NuT
youve really gone into some detail here. all very true, but i dont think that all of that applies to the movies as this is a movie forum.

Mormegil
I know, but I just felt like giving some backround information for those who haven't read the Silmarilion, in case they might be interested.

P-NuT
k. very interesting anyhows, i may read it as i have read the main 4 books. thankyou for taking timeout to share your knowledge

Mormegil
Your welcome.

Phoenix
very cool. how did you find out this stuff? i am making a lotr website - i'd love to include some of this. can you pm me some stuff?

Mormegil
Hey, Phoenix. I found out about this stuff in the first Chapter of the Silmarilion, which you can most definitely find where there's a good selection of Lord of the Rings books. In fact, there are over half a dozen books about the History of Middle-Earth, though I've only read a few... Just Buy some, or get one from the library. I'm sure they'd have it.

P-NuT
did ya hear that pheonix?

Mormegil
I don't know If he did or not...

P-NuT
only time will tell

Mormegil
We can only hope...

Ushgarak
Errr... yes, quite...

Really, though, I see no great purpose in simply rattling out the plot of the books here. If people want to know, they can buy the books. This is the place to discuss Tolkien, not read abridged versions of his works!

Phoenix
yup, I heard it, and i'm a she not a he, and i wasnt suggesting we discuss it here, i asked for a PM so dont get ratty at me Ush!! And good ta see ya - you'd better be online when i am, cos i'm bored!

Mormegil
Hey, Hey, calm down there, Ushgarak. I know this isn't a place to write abridged versions of his works. I was just writing about it because I found it all very interesting when I read it, so I'm giving people who haven't a taste of what it's like, with the intention of interesting people enough to buy it for themselves. Because, in my view, if your a fan of Middle-Earth, you'll love to here its history. I enjoyed reading the books on the History of Middle-Earth just as much as reading the Lord of the Rings, and I want to introduce it to other people who don't know so that they can enjoy it as much as me.

P-NuT
this is a heated debate

Ushgarak
Not really a debate, more a statement on my part.

ugthebarbarian
I'm really glad SOMEONE out ther knows more than just the simple lotr plot. The scale is so much larger than that... If Sauron were to prevail, then he would rule Middle Earth for an Age, and by that time, Morgoth's prison time would be up, and he could escape to Middle earth again. There they would have total domination... and even the Valar would have trouble taking them out because Valinor is separate from the realm of Middle earth now...

ugthebarbarian
Plus, Morgoth is about 100 times stronger than Sauron. Sauron is only strong in lotr because the elves have lost a lot of their people and heroism.

I mean, imagine if Sauron was against the first age elves. Fingolfin and Feanor would open up a can of whoop*** on him.

Hegemon875
Tolkiens story is very heavily based on Beowolf.

Hegemon875
I can't remeber her name but there was a woman elf who came to rescue the human she loved from sauron and did defeat him with little difficulty and could have killed him but blackmailed him instead.

Hegemon875
I am very happy to have stumbled upon this part of the forum. I was beginning to think that no one here had any idea that the movies were actually based on books. It is very frustrating reading questions put up by people who would know the answer if they took the time to pick up a book.

ugthebarbarian
Are you thinking of Luthien? The story of Beren and Luthien was really good.

fini
i dont know how many people noticed this or IF ITS JUST ME, but the entire middle earth saga sounds a lot like hindu mythology( i would know)

and there are several uses of hindu/indian names..........eg Nandini( see first book of the history of middle earth), thats also another name for a hindu goddess, Orissi is another indian name.

but the whole thing bout the gods existing and singing happiness , when an restless being grows evil( eg Melko-----sauron), where there are reknowned couples that are of a certain bloodline...........the same thing is found in old hindu scriptures...

so before u people start arguing i just put my piece in

ugthebarbarian
I don't know anything about Hindu mythology, but Tolkien created his entire world based on languages. When he was in high school, he created a language with three of his own friends. From there he developed his interest in them and that's what coined the ideas for Lord of the Rings. He invented Elvish... and so he invented Elves... and so the story goes. He names all his Gods after something in his own language, but he must have drew them from somewhere, so perhaps it was from Hindu gods and stories. Who knows? Only he would...

fini
welll Actually that makes sence now.........afterall english and latin are descendants of an indo-euro language

ugthebarbarian
Yeah that probably makes the most sense.

Ushgarak
Tolkien's mythology is Norse based.

And really, I do not want any attitude towards those who have not read the book- they are very welcome here (a MOVIE site) and can ask all the questions they like. I do not want anyone thinking they are less worthy here as they have not rewad the books.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.