Will Palpatine reveal himself has Dark Sidious?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

imhotep

finti
at least I think he will declear himself emperor, I also believe the Jedi`s are weakened by the clone wars. And I think Palpatines political move by declearing himself Emperor will be welcomed by the starsystems because they feel this will bring back order to the republic.

Ushgarak
Yeah, he has to declare at some point- the only exception being if he is unmasked first.

In the other movies people just don't care about the Jedi any more- I don't think they particularly hate them.

imhotep
I didn't say hate, I said not particularly "respected". As if along the way people got convince they were frauds.

But will the Jedi recognise Palpatine as Darth Sidious?

Rogue Jedi
finti nailed it. well put.....

grifta
We all know that people in the galaxy have already started to lose respect of the jedi because of Siddious controlling so many senators. His power goes beyond the jedi and in ep1 and ep2 it shows that. But as to Sidious showing that he is Palpatine it seems probable that he should at the end of ep3 since Anakin in ep2 already thinks that 1 person should rule and control the republic.

CaptainTrips
i would say that will take place sometime around the completion of the death star..all jedi (assumably) are dead and the empire is in full control..flash to the briefing room where General Tarkin says "I've just been informed that the Emperor has disolved the last of the Senate..the last remnants of the old Republic have been swept away.

I find your lack of faith disturbing...

finti
He disband the Republic around right after the death star was finished, guess he declared himself an emperor some time before that.
In ANH you get the impression that Leia as a senator of Alderaan have opposed the Empire in Senate. Also the rebel alliance have been at it for some time since Vader are hunting around to find the rebel Alliance. And that the Dantooine had signs of an abandoned rebel base, abandoned for some time

Rogue Jedi
think we will see dantooine in ep.3?

finti
maybe, have to see alderaan though

Rogue Jedi
and kashyyk

CaptainTrips
by the way...take note that it was Jedi Master Yoda that showed up with the clone army..in effect making it look as though the Jedi Council has started a war to settle their disputes...just as Emperor Palpatine wanted it to be..hence why Dukuu said "I have good news my lord, the Clone Wars have begun"

Ushgarak
Oh, but I think it will be clear that the bad guys struck first. I doubt that will be a problem.

grifta
The thing that disturbs me most about Sidious is how clever he is. Not one jedi would of thought that the Dark Lord of the Sith himself was talking and discussing with them all the time. That right there is just talent smile

Ushgarak
Yes, the only problem is, the more clever he looks here, the more stupid he seems in ROTJ.

finti
he got cokey

imhotep
Not stupid, over confident. After almost 40 years of everything happening like he has planned, he simply believes to be infallible.
At a certain point he no longer differs between what he wishes to happen and what will happen.

I began this forum with a question. No one even tried answering it. I still have my own deep seated doubts about Palpatine being Darth Sidious, but that's just my really weird feeling!

finti
"your overconfidence is your weakness" - Luke

imhotep
"your faith in your friends is yours"-Emperor

Has this become a "quotes" contest?

imhotep
There's knowledge of the force and then there's knowledge of the dialogs. In the end it all comes down to:" How many times have you seen them? "

finti
stoped counting ages ago, not a quote contest just stating your point their imhotep

imhotep
Sometimes it sure looks like one, but at least we're keeping it canon.

You sure seem to get real pissed of sometimes when people talk EU.
I'm not judging you, you guys made the rules and we follow them, or not...

Strangely I have no quote to finish my post... Unfortunate this is

imhotep
A bit of topic here...

I just want Ep.III, IV,V and VI to come out on DVD so we can FINALLY watch the whole thing from begining to completion.

Unless some of the EU guys start shouting: That was not the begining and it is not the end...In this book, and in that game, and in the other novel...I'm a Star Wars geek but you guys, get a life. Anakin kills the Emperor, end of story. Why ask:What know? Is like saying"are we there yet""are we there yet"

finti
I get "pissed" at people using EU cause EU doesnt count when it comes to the REAL Star Wars, the Star Wars GL`s way. And we didnt make those rules George Lucas did and as USH has pointed out as long as George Lucas doesnt regard EU as part of the Star Wars, his Star Wars, neither do we. If he would so would we .

Now well yes I really longing for at least the OT to come on DVD, but I guess that wont happen until after EpIII premiere.
Back on track thoug, the arrogance the Emperor showed in ROTJ can be seen in Maul as well, Dooku was more "classy" arrogant, more in a gentlemans way still he was a little bit full of him sel too. But he didnt let it cloud his actions

imhotep
I think Dooku is in another league, he was after all a Jedi, and a respected one at that. He is not very arrogant, he is right when he says what he says. "You haven't seen anything yet" to Yoda
"Your Jedi powers are no match for mine" to Obi-Wan

He isn't being arrogant, he is stating a fact.

And by the way, on the EU thing, I agree with you.

Rogue Jedi
i disagree on the EU thing. im gonna leave it at that. dooku seemed really stuck up, beyond arrogance.

finti
so in other word you disagree with George Lucas view on it.

I can mention to things were EU contradicts the REAL Star Wars,
first ROTJ novel says Owen Lars is Obi Wans brother, second the designing of death star where some scientist in the maw instalation near kessel designs it.

AOTC kind of blew both them away

Rogue Jedi
finti, im not gonna argue with you on this. i already had this argument with ush. i accept the rules of this forum and i respect the authority of the mods here, including yourself. i keep EU talk to the EU forum now, thanx to ush. i obey the rules here. i AM NOT, however, gonna be bullied into abandoning my beliefs. lets just agree to disagree, please?

finti
When are you gonna understand that it aint the rules of the forums, we have adapted George Lucas view on the matter.
Abandoning your belives ? bullied?. You are free to have whatever belives you want, but to this EU contra Star Wars there is a set fact by George himself so...........

Rogue Jedi
enforcing the rules of this forum and trying to change someones beliefs are two VERY different things. thats what you and some others are trying to do, you ramble on and on about GL's opinions and policies as if you were his right hand man. and yes, there are rules here. ush said those exact words. the mods make the rules, people like me go by them. at the risk of sounding like an a**hole, it seems like you guys are under the impression that you know EVERYTHING about star wars and we know NOTHING. whatever. i believe you and ush when you guys say lucas said these things. tell me where to go and i will check it out personally. if it is fact, i will back you guys up 100% in the future.

finti
There is a film and televised interview of George Lucas called "the man behind the myth" he very much clear things up there.

We know everything about Star Wars? All we pointed out is the matter on this EU thing contra Star Wars, dont take this out of its concept and be so bloody overdramatic about it.

I do know a lot about Star Wars, it aint a big thing though since all you have to do is watch the films. EU is a different matter, tried to read the books, but I think they are all weak. They are also kind of similar cause they have all(all I read) the same line of build up.

The rules we set, as mods, are based on Lucas own sayings on the EU matter. Thats why we separated Star Wars forums and the EU forum.

Ushgarak
The Continuity and Production Department also made Lucasfilm's canon policy clear in Star Wars Insider magazine- "'Gospel,' or canon as we refer to it, includes the screenplays, the films, the radio dramas and the novelisations. These works spin out of George Lucas' original stories, the rest are written by other writers." And they go onto explain how the films are the primary canon source, and the adaptations lower ones, being overrideen by the film.

(They then further go on to say that the canon status in the film can only be disputed if mistake is offiically acknowledeged- like the ROTJ Imperial Rank badges)

We don't just make this stuff up, you know. Steve Sansweet also confirms what is and isn't canon in the Star Wars encyclopedia. As I say, this has always been Lucasfilm's official policy.

When we talk about GL's policies, it is simply because we know what they are, RJ, because we took the trouble to check.

But the important point here is that we are not saying 'all EU is wrong', just it is not necessarily right, which is the normal confusion. If you want to say you think something MAY be so based on what the EU says, then that is, of course, as valid as any other piece of speculation. Recent EU works like The Approaching Storm have been written with far more synchronisation with the films than ever before and material from such works are probably worth MORE than mere speculation (as, obviously, are comments from certain other non-canon sources, like the website (which has sadly had to correct its own errors before)). The only problem is if someone says that something IS right based on an EU source, and that is where we have to point out that this is not so, EU has no power to set what IS right as regards to the films, any more than you or I do, and that if you want to deal with EU continuity, it belongs in the EU section.

The only material that makes for a CERTAINITY, therefore, is material from the films. And, of course, as Finti has so clearly pointed out, these sections are for discussing the films alone. EU is fine for speculation so long as it is born in mind it does not have this 'canonical' power.

Rogue Jedi
i keep EU to the EU sections. you pointed it out for me when i got here, Ush, and i apologize if i came off like an idiot. but sometimes, when you guys are explaining this to someone who makes the same mistake, you continue to go on and on about how things are in the star wars universe. this is your point of view. others are entitled to their own. and yes, you guys DO try to force your opinions upon others. you just dont see it. for example: lets say "jim", a new member is at the ep.3 section. he starts bringing up EU. now, i know that the mods have to say "hey, jim. this is the ep.3 section. keep EU to the EU section." but just leave it at that. if he keeps it up or starts acting like an a**hole, THEN it is time to get more authoritave, " look. these are the rules. you have to go by them, even if you dont like them. keep it up and you are outta here." im not gonna say anything more about it after this post, i just thought you guys would like some feedback. sorry to be so "bloody" overdramatic about it.
i would bet my right hand that i am not the only one who feels this way. the others are probably too scared to say something.

finti
Thing is RJ time and again this has happened but they keep comming on with EU stuff. I have my personal opinion about EU and that opinion aint too positive . But I never try to force it uppon others. I know a lot of people enjoy EU, fine let them, but the point is I aint one of them.
For me Star Wars is the films always has been and always will.
But we never force opinions uppon people , rules yes, opinions no

Ushgarak
(shrugs) The first thing I always say is "I am sorry, that is EU so it is no good here."

Actually, I disagree with you, RJ, I think you are making this a FAR bigger deal than it is. The overwhelming majority of posters are very happy.

And, for that matter, getting tired of the arguments here, so I hope this is indeed the end of it.

General Kaliero
Amen. Back on topic people, please.

Rogue Jedi
fine. ill be the scapegoat. end of argument...

General Kaliero
Oh, God. END OF DISCUSSION. BACK ON TOPIC, please!

Rogue Jedi
this is what im saying.

finti
So........... I think Palpy will declear himself Emperor. Maybe the Jedis figure out who he really is but then it is too late

Rogue Jedi
theres a lot of things i am wondering. you know,"when will this happen. or will this happen?" will we see the jedi being hunted down? if the hunting of the jedi takes place between ep. 3 and 4, who will survive to be hunted? just how messed up will anakin be to be forced to don the black armor? too many questions........

finti
you are not alone to ask those questions

imhotep
The balance of the force had to be really f***ed up for the Jedi not to see something like that. Doesn't leave a good impression for Yoda and his council to allow things to have gone so far doesn't it?
I mean, where were them, why didn't they realise they had to do something? Or perhaps these things are cyclic like rihgt now the worlds economy is in recession but it will eventually bounce back and then go down again. Was it beyond their powers? Was it innevitable? Was it a part of the prophecy?

Ushgarak
"The Dark Side Clouds Everything"

It actually took the main body of the Jedi a long time to realise that the Balance was slipping.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.