I have a question about "the Hobbit"

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

alivy
i'm a chinese boy, these days i'm reading tolkien's "the lord of the rings". and i had finished the prelude--"the Hobbit".

and i have a question about gollum, the nasty creature dwelt in the goblin's hole: why didn't he escape from there by his "precious" and do something more interesting after that?

btw, i beg your pardon for my poor english embarrasment

billyboyd4ever
becuase when the ring consumed him, he was too afraid to expose the ring to anyone else, plus it made him solitary and he hated the light...at least thats what i think

elijahslover22
Because he was afraid someone would try and take the ring from him.

Furius
was he not afraid of the moon/sun as well?

P-NuT
who cares if your grammar sucks, its like like an english assignment. wink

pinksuezo
he didnt want to escape , that was his home. message 2!

billyboyd4ever
yea he was afraid of the sun/moon, thats why in TTT and ROTK he wanted them to travel in the dark, so he could avoid the sun + hopefully the moon.

Mormegil
Gollum became interested about the roots of the mountain, so he decided to find them out. Besides that, way back then Sauron wasn't powerful like he is in LotR, so the Ring didn't know where to make him go. I think that the Ring just wanted to keep itself hidden from those who would seek to destroy it, so it kept him secret and alone deep doen under a mountain, where nobody would find him (at least, for 500 or so years). However, after the Ring felt the call of its master, it must have wanted to get back to it by any means possible. But until then, the Ring must have been perfectly content to stay with Gollum in the deapths of the mountain.

pinksuezo
this dude that took LSD would talk to himself all the time, see things that werent there, and have some obsession with the sky blinking. do you think gollum also took LSD?

chica16
anything's possible
lol

billyboyd4ever
hmm that theory is kinda out there though...im not sure if there's LSD in middle earth

pinksuezo
lsd comes from the fungus claviceps purpurea, dude, so i dont think thats too far out, man... whoaaa...

pinksuezo
oh yeah, and it can grow on moldy bread, so maybe all that lembas isnt as schnazzy as the elfs say huh?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.