More LotR History: Evil in the Flesh

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Mormegil
The Elvish word Valarauko means Balrog.

Balrog are Maiar, lesser beings than the Valar but still great, that Melkor took into his survice early after the beginning of the world. As you all well know, Balrogs are massive creatures with flame-whips and flame-swords. Balrogs, after coming into the service of Melkor, took physical form. This form was as such as you saw in FotR. If you haven't read anything about Melkor in the Silmarilion are other books, chances are you would not have noticed that Legolas said (to Galadriel) "...a Balrog of Morgoth." Morgoth was in fact the name given to Melkor by the Elves, meaning 'The Dark Enemy of the World." In the times when Morgoth was in power, there were Balrogs in greater numbers than ever you would believe. The exact amount is unknown, but there were at least hundreds in the beginning. Imagine fighting in a battle when all the sudden you see a couple hundred Balrogs bounding down upon you, swords raised, ready to kill anything and everything they don't like. It is my belief that there were something around 500 Balrogs in the service of Morgoth in the baginning. However, believe it or not, Balrogs were very often killed. The fact is, a man named Tuor, sone of Huor, killed more than 10 Balrogs single-handed in the fall of Gondolin. One man, an axe, and 10 Balrogs laying dead at his feet. And yet, one Balrog, completely alone, killed most of the Dwarves in the Mines of Moria, yet living to meet Olorin, a maia sent from Valinor, in the guise of an old, grey-haired man that was named by the people of Middle-Earth many names, one of which was Gandalf the Grey. Thus did Olorin, or Gandalf, come face to face with an ancient demon of great and terrible power. Gandalf was quite right when he said that "This foe is beyond any of you... RUN!" And this was the might and splendor of the kings of Men of old, that a creature with far greater power and ability would be smote down by a lone Man. One man, named Beren, came within the Dark Fortress of Utumno, walked right up to the Dark Lord Morgoth and the Lord of Balrogs, Gothmog. Beren then managed, with the help of the Elvish princess Luthien (whom he loved), to incapacitate them (with a spell), take a Silmaril (a priceless jewel) off the crown of Morgoth, and escape with his life. Only one other man overcame odds such as those in the History of Middle-Earth.

His name was Turin, sone of Hurin. Turin was a force to be feared, and was feared by many. Not by Men or Elves was he feared, but by Orcs and the creatures of Morgoth. Turin, at one point, abode in the great halls of the City Nargothrond, where he and his black-steel sword hewed and stabbed countless orcs. He became known as The Mormegil (The Black Blade) of Nargothrond, and he became known Turambar of the Brethil Woods. Greater only of the creatures of Morgoth than Balrogs were perhaps the Dragons, bred in the deapths of the world and wrought of utter hatred and malice. The first of these dragons was Glaurung, and he was mighty and powerful. Not above the Black Blade of Nargothrond was he, however, as he was put to death by a swift stab of his Black Blade, Gurthang. However, his sister hurtled hurself over a cliff as a result of the Dragon's trickery, and by the same token was Turin Turambar, the Black Blade of Nargothrond, impaled upon his own sword. But, so great was this man, this King of Men, that a sword that pierced the scales of a grand creature of the greatest Dark Lord in the world was broken upon the chest of Turin. Thus was Turin Gurthang's last victim, and never again was a man so feared by all things evil.

Last but not least I mention Fingolfin, an Elven King of the house of Feanor. For one day did Fingolfin walk up to the gates of Morgoth and banged on them, demanding that the Dark Lord Morgoth himself come out and face him. All in the Fortress were taken aback, and were dumbfounded. Seeming utterly rediculous to Morgoth, he would not have gone to face the Elf were it not that it might show as weakness to his servants. Thus did a great rumbling shake the ground upon each step of the Dark Lord as he came up from the dark dungeons of his fortress and approach the gate. Upon opening the gate, Morgoth stepped outside of his fortress, alone, with an Elf standing only feet away from him. Upon that fair Elvish face not a shred of fear or apprehention was to be found as he stood in front of the most evil being ever to exist, second in power only to Eru Iluvatar, the one who created all. Morgoth, Giant mace in hand, swung at the pathetic Elf. The blow mist, however, and the Elf got a good slash on Morgoth before he was able to recover from the swing. A good few minutes this went on, Morgoth getting in a few blows upon Fingolfin, Fingfolfin getting a few bad ones off Morgoth. With fast action and a strong thrust, Fingolfin managed to get an excellent blow to Morgoth's leg, perminantly maming him. This made Morgoth furious and, screaming with mingled pain and anger, Morgoth smote the death blow upon the Elf King, and Fingolfin was no more. Ever after, however, Morgoth retained a limp whenever he walked about, and never was that wound devoid of pain.

Mormegil
I wrote this to give a perspective of the power of the Balrogs, to say that they were, in acient days, Morgoth's servants, and to say what they were. So great were the stories of Turin Turambar and Fingolfin that I felt like mentioning them. This was overall a description of the things of greatest evil, how strong they were, and how vulnerable they were.

Ushgarak
Yes, but DO be careful about giving facts that aren't actually facts to people- as I pointed out in the Nazguls thread, that bit about killing ten Balrogs single-handed was later reversed by Tolkien.

A LOT of this stuff is highly unreliable! Tolkien confirmed that there were not ever more than seven Balrogs.

Mormegil
Well, that must have been later... Sorry, I'l try to figure out more current facts before posting.

Ushgarak
No need to apologise, it is VERY easy to be caught out by Tolkien changing his mind- trying to work out Galadriel's history is insanely hard!

But yes, by the time he put a Balrog in LOTR- which is way after he wrote these early histories- he had changed his mind about how dangerpus they were, they seemed more like big trolls at first. Throughout his writing you can make a case for there being three, seven, thirty-five, hundreds or even thousands but in the end, according to Chris, he fixed it at seven. Which makes it wiping out the Dwarves seem more likely.

Mormegil
Yes, much more likely, and why Olorin was so afraid of it. In the end, of course, they killed each other, but he still did manage to kill it... that's Gandalf, for ya! But, that just makes Beren's accomplishment all the greater, having escaped from such powerful things. Granted, without his right hand, but still alive.

GABRIEL05
Aule just don't make em like he used to... Mmm http://www.killermovies.com/forums/images/moresmilies/no2.gif

Darth Alterous
I've noticed that Morgoth has had quite a lot of permanent pains, wonder what it was like to go without a foot? Fingolfin seems brave, wonder what Feanor thinks (I know Feanor hated Fingolfin, they had different mums)

billyboyd4ever
hahah feanor is probably jealous...no not really

turin
hello, ya i was just reading the first post and i sounds great but it sounds a little embelished to me. One of the things was the part about fingolfin. Maybe i missinterperted but it sounds like they traded blows back and forth, but from what i remember morgoth only landed 1 blow. After seven wounds inflicted by fingolfin he grew tired and morgoth landed one that crushed his shield and helm. fingolfin sprung away but fell into a pit created by morgoths hammer. morgoth then stepped on him to crush him to death but just before fingolfin died he hewed the foot of morgoth. am i off or does this sound right?

Mormegil
Well, I remember him Fingolfin getting hit once and the shield braking, but it was a long time since I read the Silmarilion, and I didn't remember if there were more. But yeah, that does sound right to me... sorry...

ugthebarbarian
I remember reading in FOTR that when the fellowship was in Moria, Gandalf said he was already "weary". When they found out about the Balrog, Gandalf was still "weary". Plus, Gandalf was not a fighter, he was a wizard. Now, Tuor, was most definitely a fighter. Plus, he wasn't "weary" i bet. (although he might've been wearing cuz he was doing idril all night long every night...)

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.