Is The Matrix the #1 Perogative?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

hodgie723
What do you think? Is The Matrix the most perogitive movie ever made? Tell me if you think so or if not, tell me another movie that is more perogative. wink

hodgie723
I am sorry. I mena "Provacitve".

nickjs21
i was gonna say, perogative?

as for provocative, i think there are quite a number of movies that have been much more so than the matrix. the amount of buzz the matrix generates is limited to us fans. other movies have incited reaction from all sorts of people in all ways of life.

off the top of my head i'll decline to list any, but they're out there.

Lunchb0x
Yes, the Matrix series of movies are the most provocative movies ever.
I mean, me and my friends at skool actually argue with each other over what stuff in the movies meant, whats gonna happen in Revolutions and stuff like that No movie has ever left as many people talking and thinking.

The Omega
LunchB0x> Read Nickjs21s post, please.
No, the Matrix movies are not the most provocative movies ever made. I agree with Nick, that that is simply us fans, who get a kick out of interpreting and over-interpreting everything.
I think, say, David Lynch does a better job at provoking.

Vim
Forrest Gump I'm sure hit alot more people's hearts than the Matrix movies did. I really enjoyed the Matrix and Reloaded, I've got posters from both. And have read as much about them as I could and I'm still looking... reading

hodgie723
I think that the end of Forrest Gump was very provocative.. about how he thinks that destiny and just floatiing around aimlessly is happening at the same time. Now thats interesting. But, I have to say that the concept of The Matrix is amazingly provicative. Minority Report is a good one as well.

Lunchb0x
Again i have to disagree with Omega and Nickjs21s posts.
I was using my arguments with friends as an example, i do not believe that it is just "us fans" who get a kick out of interpreting these movies. But also, what do u mean "fan" that could be anybody who has seen and enjoyed these movies, which is a hell of alot of ppl, and not just those who obsess over it. The ppl who do not do not obsess over the movies still interpret and discuss the movis at length.

nickjs21
no, no they don't. only us fans (i'll clarify . . . "fangeeks"wink that obsess over it interpret it to the degrees we've seen. anyone who writes a book about it is still just a fangeek with a publisher.

so, you're saying that people who aren't fans still get a kick out of analyzing and interpreting the movie? that seems silly. for example, i do not enjoy the backstreet boys, so i'm not a fan. therefore, i would not get a kick out of interpreting their music and lyrics down to the pitch of one of the members on a particular beat.

Lunchb0x
How did he mean fans???? did he mean fans,like me, who obsees over the movie, or anyone who enjoys the movie? if he meant only those who obsess over it, he was wrong...sorry bout my bad explanation,

nickjs21
i mean by your definition of fans.

"anybody who has seen and enjoyed these movies"

The Omega

seroth sujizero
but erm...who'd actually care? What if this is the nr. 1 provocative movie, or what if it's not that provocative at all? Does it change anything about the movie itself? Will we (or other people) be able to enjoy it more or less? No. So what does it really matter then? It's just a great movie, that's all we need to know smile

Ushgarak
It's just something to talk over, Seroth.

seroth sujizero
yeah I figured but this doesn't really matter now does it...it's kinda useless to discuss...but that's just my two cents, so to speak...

Ikobe
Fight Club. Awesome book, class movie. Provocativity (is that a real word?) served on a shiny plate, a la Tyler piss.

~AI

revolution_man
u are so rite hodgie723! i love minority report! it is number three on my list of all time fave's behind reloaded and the matrix. i emcourae any matrix fan to see it. it is made in the style of the matrix and it has an awesome plot that is really thought provoking!

hodgie723
i appreciate someone agreeing with me for once.

hodgie723
hey Iknobe, can you give me an agent signature that says hodgie?

Verity
Nah.I don't think u just have to be a fan to get a kick outta the movies....other ppl enjoy talking about it too, and gathering their own conclusions about it! Storywise I think it is the most provocative.....and visually, but in that sense I have to say it shares a spot w the Lord of the Rings trilogy......at least in my heart! http://www.killermovies.com/forums/images/moresmilies/thumbs_up.gif

nickjs21
verity: i agree, you don't have to be a fan to enjoy the movies. but i was using lunchbox's definition, "anyone who has seen and enjoyed these movies." so, according to that, you do have to be a fan to get a kick out of it.

i really don't think, however, that it's the most provocative.

hodgie723
name one that is

CaptainInsano
I definately thing that the matrix trilogy is the most provacative movie of all time. As of right now ANYTHING could happen in revolutions and no other movie really does that. The matrix is also in my opinion one of the most influencial movies of our time because its not often that you get people who wanna see action and people who wanna think and see a good movie in the same room. I bet there will be many more "smart" films out now

nickjs21
hodgie: name one that is what?

hodgie723
more provacative

JediHDM
For, the Matrix to be the No. 1 most provacative movie of all time, would mean that most people have seen it and have had some reaction to it. This, my obsessive friends, is not the case. I have one friend whom i talk to almost everyday that i discuss philosophy, etc. as it pertains to the Matrix. All of my other friends, and yes, there are quite a few, have either seen the movie once and thought nothing else of it, or don't care to see the movie at all. This is the way it goes.

For a movie to be No. 1 provacative, it has to be universally recognized, universally seen, and everyone who has seen it has had a reaction, whether it be for, against, or disgusted. because i cannot think of a movie, i will give an example in book form. "Uncle Tom's Cabin" was one of the most provacative books ever written, and it was immediately known, due to the overwhelming reaction against it. There has been neither overwhelming opposition, nor overwhelming support for the Matrix, such that everyone has seen it a million times, excepting those of us here in this forum, nor has there been people rising up against it for it's "blatant disregard for organized religion". So, no, the Matrix is not the most Provacative movie of all time, except maybe to us.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.