New review of TTT EE

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

edwinian
THE LORD OF THE RINGS: THE TWO TOWERS - EXTENDED EDITION
http://www.aintitcool.com/display.cgi?id=15741

Johnny Bartlett here, taking a break from the 9 to 5 (got me a total of 217 thats more than Shipman!) to bring you a look at the Exended Edition of The Two Towers. You know that feeling when theres a movie you ****in' love and youve seen it over and over, only after a while you start thinking Wouldnt it be cool if this time there was something different in there, just to surprise me? Or perhaps thats just me. Anyway, Im inclined to think Peter Jackson understands this well: like last years extended edition of The Fellowship of the Ring, The Two Towers: Extended Edition is a treasure trove for fans of the film - there's so much new stuff spread throughout that it really is like revisiting a beloved classic and finding it to be twice the experience you remembered. I wont bother reviewing the movie we heard it all late last year, right? but at 3 and 3/4 hours, The Two Towers now has an epic running time to match its scope, so if ya hated it last time, you'll hate it even more now. Effects in the added scenes are of equal quality to those of the theatrical footage (and I caught this one in a crew screening a few weeks back, so is was based on seeing it on the big screen) despite many of these shots having been completed just for the DVD. Your arse'll be so numb youll think it up and died on ya and your bladder filled to bursting, but if you loved The Two Towers, youll also be oblivious to the pain and grinning like an idiot. Spoilers? ****, yeah:

SPOILERS BEGIN......................................................
OK... You asked for it!
From memory, here are the major additions:

- Extended opening, in which the hobbits scale a cliff face using the rope Galadriel gave Sam, including a better build-up to the arrival of Gollum.

- More friction between the Uruk-Hai and the Orcs as they transport Merry and Pippin back to Isengard, which better sets up the fight over food that takes place later.

- More scenes of Saruman breeding his army, creating better pacing as the invasion of Rohan begins

- Terrific scene in which Eomer finds the body of Theodred, Theodens son.

- Additional scenes with Merry and Pippin, including extensions to existing Treebeard scenes and the Ent Draught sequence, in which the hobbits grow. In another scene, Treebeards soporific poetry works its magic.

- Theodreds funeral scene, with Eowyn singing a lament.

- A wonderful introduction to Aragorns horse Brego, who we learn was Theodreds horse. Aragorn requests Brego be set free, which places his later rescue in better context.

- Additional scenes between Eowyn and Aragorn, including one in which he attempts to eat a bowl of evil-looking stew.

- More scenes between Gandalf, Aragorn, Legolas and Gimli, which expand upon the films politics (including the union between the two towers Gandalf scene from the trailer, though that line is missing from what I can remember).

- More of Sarumans musings, setting up themes that will be explored in The Return of the King.

- Flashback to the circumstances surrounding Boromir being sent to Rivendell for the Council of Elrond, taking place during the re-taking of Osgiliath by the Gondorian army. This sequence briefly introduces John Noble as Denethor, a major character in The Return of the King. I was worried this sequence would seem like an indulgence, but its difficult to imagine the film without it; not only is the character of Faramir, much maligned by fans of the book, given added depth, so too is Boromir enriched by this addition.

- Just before the Ents storming of Isengard, the Huorns mobilise and leave to attend to business elsewhere; they reappear at Helms Deep to kill the Uruk-Hai as they flee.

- New ending, with Merry and Pippin finding a larder at Isengard, including two barrels of pipe-weed; a hilarious scene in which Gimli and Legolas compare their scores after the battle of Helms Deep; Frodo, Sam and Gollum are shown the way out of Osgiliath by Faramir, who threatens Gollum; theres even a brief moment in which Sam and Gollum appear to make peace.

- Along with all these major additions, many more scenes are subtly extended to give more information or reinforce themes already present.

SPOILERS END.........................................................

In all, its as much a treat for fans of The Two Towers as last years extended edition was to those of The Fellowship of the Ring if not more so, and despite the number of times Ive seen The Two Towers, I cant wait to see the Extended Edition again.

So combine this with the USA TOday review and we are starting to get a pretty good handle on what will be one this baby!! I am getting more and more excited!

Mormegil
Sweet... Where did you see this? This is all great... AAHHRRGG!! Now I can't wait to see it even more! That is just so Awesome! I was brooding over some of these scenes not being there, but now with them in the extended version, that's just Great! I can't Believe how awsome this is! Thank you So much for telling me this! This is so Perfect! This is so, so great! WWOOOOHHOOOOOOOO!!!!

billyboyd4ever
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah this is horrible! now i want to see the extended version even more, so the thought of it being let out on nov. 11 if torture....but the info in great

P-NuT
awesome. this is gonna be unreal.

Mormegil
Unreal? Unreal? Unreal is the best you can come up with? This is AWESOME, man! This is beyond awesome! this is beyond perfect! This is unbelievable! The heck you always so calm for, man!?

chica16
words can't describe how i feel... lol i really really can't wait now... i'll definetely be at wal-mart at midnight to get it haha

Mormegil
There is nothing that can stop me from getting it as soon as F'ing possible!

Tracker
WOW.

I can't wait.

November can not get here soon enough.

Mormegil
What, you dead or something!? You're so calm!? How can you be calm!? This is unbelievably amazing, and you're fricken talkting like a zombie here! Am I surrounded by people who are dead inside!? BE EXCITED!!!

P-NuT
i am more than excited about this mate. i just dont express myself as well as some. wink but it will be more than unreal.

Mormegil
Sorry, I'm just so full of adrenaline, everything seems so exciting...

Ushgarak
Hang on, there IS a Boromir/Faramir flashback scene?

I wonder if I had heard that and forgotten? Because I remember hearing that Sean Bean was in TTT and it occurred to me that this would be the only way to do it. And when Faramir told Frodo that he knew Boromir was dead I thought they would indeed do the whole thing, but they didn't and I just considered the whole thing a silly idea of mine- mind you, as far as I remember, Faramir never DID explain to Frodo how he knew.

But there IS one? Wow.

Mormegil
Cool, huh?

edwinian
VERY cool

I am totaly psyched and literally was so thrilled when I read this yesterday.

I am also really excited abou tmeeting Brego...Aragorns horse and seeing how he was freed because that really helps to set up some stuff in ROTK!!!

Umm...can it be November yet please???

Happy Dance Happy Dance Happy Dance Happy Dance Happy Dance

chica16
why do they have to do this to us..... make us wait til nov ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh lol

Sifer
I read this review a couple of weeks ago smile I cant wait to get my statue of Smeagol either - then I will purchase the matching one (Gollum) big grin

GABRIEL05
http://www.killermovies.com/forums/images/moresmilies/drool.gif http://www.killermovies.com/forums/images/moresmilies/drool.gif http://www.killermovies.com/forums/images/moresmilies/drool.gif

edwinian
Weird...since this one came out on the day I posted it/or the day before....maybe you are thinking of the USA Today review....this one has a lot of the same stuff...but also some new things like info about the Hurons and Smeagol/Deagol, etc.

And yes, the statue does look cool!!

Lomylia
Hey everyone, I'm a big lotr fan from Belgium and currently there is a big contest going on in my country in which you can win two tickets for the rotk premiere in New Zealand....however the questions u need to answer are extremely hard if you don't have TTT extended edition (and it's only coming out on thursday over here) so that's why I need your help, please.
here are the first 2 questions

1) How did they make the sound of the ents (you know the yelling they do when they're to attack Isengard

2) when Aragorn find the pile of burnt orc bodies he yells out of sadness because he thinks he failed Merry and Pippin ... but there is also another reason
a)he hit his foot against an orc helm and hurt some toes
b) he burnt his hands on a hot orc helm

I would really appreciate if you could help me, thanks
big grin

scott hiwersh
I love the way the statue looks. I want to get the collectors tonght, but I am scared they will sell out. I pre-ordered the regular exteded, but I might give it as a gift b/c it didn't come today. I want to go at midnght for the gift set... I read some of these things in another review as well, but this one has more info...

OrliNElijahsGrl
1) How did they make the sound of the ents (you know the yelling they do when they're to attack Isengard- that one im not sure of, probably someones voice in a real low track or something

2) when Aragorn find the pile of burnt orc bodies he yells out of sadness because he thinks he failed Merry and Pippin ... but there is also another reason
a)he hit his foot against an orc helm and hurt some toes
b) he burnt his hands on a hot orc helm

its a) aragorn actually when he kicked the orc helmet, he broke his toe, so the scream he lets out isnt acting, its for real IN PAIN SCREAM!

Now unto the extended version...OH MY FRIGGIN GOD!! I CANNOT WAIT!!!!!!!!! THIS SOUNDS SOOO EXCITING!!!! AHHHHHHH! ILL BE DEFINETLY GOING UP TO WAL-MART 2MORROW AND GETTING IT! OH MY GOSH!!! AHHHHHHHHH! IM SO FRIGGIN EXCITED! THAT SOUNDS SO AWESOME!!!!!! AHHHHHHHH! I saw the little piece with legolas and gimli, its sooo frickin halarious, i was in tears i was laughing so hard, e! news showed the clip the other day! hahahahaah

scott hiwersh
I cannot believe I am even here, except to say the Collector's edition is unbelievable. Statue rocks, need to go sink into the couch my friends... Oh yes... SO GOOD!!!

howie
I remember a scene with Eowyn behind a wall hiding from a urakai in the glittering cave...

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.