This is the most bizzare thing!!!

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

SimK68
Last night I was watching 'The Natural History Of The Chicken' on PBS , and they showed all about hens laying eggs, and how chickens and roosters get their necks cut off to put food on the table, and run around until they die. Well with a lil' google search I found the one that they were talking about that DID NOT DIE after getting its head cut off!! It just stood there, this doesnt go into details, but they said the farmer back in 1946 tha cut the head off, said that he entered it in side shows and things... This is freaky!!!.........

http://www.geocities.com/ddsquirrel...ssrooster1.html

Eventually he died from suffacation in the airway. I wonder how and what kept him alive!? They even mentioned he tried to CROW, but it was like garbbled. Now I know why vegitarians are vegitarians!

Dexx
well...hens are known to have a rather small brain....though it seems that however small it is, it doesn't even cover the motion controll impulses.(..j/k..course it does) Don't know why that hen lived..or how did it breathe untill it suffocated.

GroundedAgain
maybe the owner shoved a straw down its throat

Dexx
well..maybe he should have sold it to a lab before it died

Fitch
until a few moments ago,chicken was my favorit meet......

Dexx
well..they come headless in the pack anway stick out tongue

Fitch
yeah,but I hope their not moving in the pack....

Baylin
The running round, or standing still, has something to do with residual nerve impulses left in the body after the head's been cut off, which is why the movements tend to be rather uncoordinated.
As to the long term survival of a headless chicken could be because the heart isn't controlled by the brain and so long as some sort of oxygen supply can be maintained it will continue to beat and therefore keep the body alive. blink

Just call me Dr Frankenstein!!!! cool

SimK68
Does that link even work??.... Here try this......

http://www.geocities.com/ddsquirrel/headlessrooster1.html

And heres another one....

http://www.miketheheadlesschicken.org/story.htm

ChinaNiki
I saw something about that and they used a medicine dropper or something like that to feed the chicken by dropping liquid food into it's esophagus.

Godshinto
A great man once said "Now that's just Iky" and that great man was me, ewwww!!!!

Dexx
jeez...how am i gonna sleep now?

ChinaNiki
put your head on the pillow and close your eyeswink

DemonicGambit
Oh wow.... that's just wrong no and disgusting sick

skule
what the ..... how can anything live once the head has been chopped off!!! No way this is a hoax!

diegocala
A household roach can live for more that a week without its head as well

Dexx
insect body structure is different.

Captain REX
I read somewhere that when the farmer cut the chicken's head off, it still had a small section of the brain stem left. Just enough to do some small, primitive thinking, such as: eat, breathe, walk, crow.

Dexx
impossible...i saw the picture...there's no way any part of the brain could be THAT low

diegocala
That is not what my wife tells me laughing laughing

Captain REX
laughing out loud laughing out loud laughing out loud

Good one, Diego.

Dexx
laughing out loud

Baylin
Very Good!

If the chicken brain is anything like the human brain, which on more than a few people I'm sure it is. Then the centres that control the respiratory/cardiac functions are in the brain stem which is the part that joins the brain to the spinal cord!

Godshinto
Wo Ho!!!!! man my head is spinning, those are some might big words you used there like respiratory you made that up Right?

skule
dudes how is that possible even if part of the stem was left, i mean common that lil bit controls walking crowing eating jumping around? btw how does a chicken crow when its head is chopped off? Also how does it eat or walk with out its eyes or nose ie its senses???

Anarion
Isn't that a rhetorical question? stick out tongue
Good thing I don't get disgusted easily.

clispin
i heard about this chicken and it didnt die for ages after wards, the farmer was feeding it down the tube to its stomach with an eye drop. it was in guiness world records. gross huh

Anarion
Hmm... not for me. I think it's pretty amazing, interesting, and weird at the same time.

ragesRemorse
only one proper thing to say about that GOD DAMN!!!!!!

DemonicGambit
A chicken lived without its head.... Wow blink

Fitch
maybe it didn't used it much...

Smllfry247
that is soo weird!!

Baylin
Hmmm I'd probably survive without mine....

Look! See! still smiling with my head removed rolling on floor laughing eek!

Fitch
I;m not so sure I would manage without mine....

GroundedAgain
it's fun to kill chickens, attach strings to there high claw, and then pull the string and watch the claws move in and out

Anarion
Err... it's fun to "eat" them. Cooked.

GroundedAgain
chicken tastes nasty. the claw thing is the only way to play with my food and not get yelled at. how come every body says everything tastes like chicken??

Baylin
Its a conspiracy - everything really is chicken, you, me, the cows in the fields. Hell even the chickens are chicken.....

Dexx
no..the chickens aren't chicken, they are tasty

Fitch
very tasty !!
Let's hunt some !pirate

Captain REX
Correct! That's how it survived.

Captain REX
It is it's instinct to crow. It does it mearly because it's brain says it should.

Also, they straw-fed it. It choked on a kernel of corn and died.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.