Marijuana should be legal, right?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Tired Hiker
I mean, why not? Alcohol is legal and far worse for you. I'm not sure how it is in Europe, but here in California you have to have a recommendation from a doctor to legally smoke and grow marijuana. But all you have to be is 21 years of age to buy a bottle of tequila. Am I the only one baffled by this? huh

J_To_The_P
Marijuana is also 4 times worse then cigarrettes. (sp incase?) Everytime you smoke it your lungs take in 4 times as much s**t as cigarettes, if it becomes legal, that is messed up!

LindsIsTightK
Well I think it would be cool if it was legal because I love the feeling of being high, but legal or not, it is still too damn expensive and I wouldn't be able to afford it................

Tired Hiker
That's why you would grow it for free, duh.

LindsIsTightK
Oh yeah, I can totally see that going over with my family, yeah right, uh huh

(Although I'm sure if they legalized weed, they wouldn't make it legal to grow it without some sort of permit because then the government wouldn't be making any money)

Tired Hiker
Not true. You can take vapor rips which only burn the thc crystals and not the bad stuff. Plus, nicotene is far more contagious than dank.

J_To_The_P
Okay sorry drug MASTER. roll eyes (sarcastic) laughing out loud

LilMimister006
Just say NO to drugs!! lol

LindsIsTightK
lol, yeah I said that too Mimi until I actually tried them myself wink

J_To_The_P
eek! eek! Bad Lindsay! -spanks- wink stick out tongue

Tired Hiker
Okay, if you have the recommendation (i.e. the permit) then you CAN grow it LEGALLY TODAY, in California. smokin'

Tired Hiker
Anything can be a drug, J to the P. Even boobs. wink

bigbadbike2
Marijuana makes people not care about anything. People possibly would never make anything of themselves the would just lay around and do nothing. I have met very few people who smoked marijuana and still held a job. They would always lose it. Then DUI's would increase and accidents would occur. The point being (although it is sad) that people are not responcible enough to deal with it.

Tired Hiker
I don't consider weed a drug. Though it can be like everything else.

LindsIsTightK
See TH, I think everyone has pretty much made the decision that it shouldn't be legal

Tired Hiker
Or, BBB2, maybe those people don't care about anything in the first place and it has nothing to do with the fact that they smoke weed. I know plenty of people here in Calfornia who do care and smoke it. It's really a harmless misunderstood simple plant in my opinion. I have a great job and a BA and I used weed all the time, not as much anymore, but I don't want to keep pushing my views on this subject. A lot of young people may be reading this touchy subject matter.

Tired Hiker
Who's everybody? You, J to the P, and BBB2? Just wait until my man Happy Kine reads this stuff. I'm sure he'll have some enlightening topics for your cerebral cortex to ponder. wink

bigbadbike2
You do have a good point. Most people that I know that did it already didn't care.

My best friend growing up and his grandfather was murdered because of his drug use, and his problem began with marijuana. That is why the consequences out weigh the benefits in my life, and I will never do it. I still don't think it would be a good idea even if that had never happened. Think of all the people that get just plastered and drive what will happen when you add marijuana to that. Also if you do go to the Bar for a drink you will get high before you can leave because of the second hand smoke. I can't see the benefit.

bigbadbike2
Indeed.

Happy Kine -----> smokin'

ObieTrice 26
uhhh,no im sory but legal marijuana is a stupid idea

GroundedAgain
i'm trying to decide if i can speak my mind without getting in trouble. hmmm....... it's fun but the morning after is hell, i almost got sent to juvey for it, and my mom has a nose like those drug sniffer dogs the police have

GroundedAgain
if ya can't tell i quit

LindsIsTightK
Well this is quite the controversial topic now isn't it?

Tired Hiker
*takes a bong rip*

Tired Hiker
Your stupid, that is!

J_To_The_P
F**K you Hiker your stupid leave Obie the f**k alone b**ch! mad

Tired Hiker
Dude, if you smoked weed, you wouldn't say stupid stuff like that, you'd just be chill.

bigbadbike2
Could we please try to state our points without degrading each other. Everyone is entitled to there opinions.

Tired Hiker
*takes another big fat hit of a bong*

Tired Hiker
BBB2, why don't you just go and . . . well, maybe your right. I gotta go pee and start editing the 5 and 6 news. This is to be continued. . .

DemonicGambit
Okay...I figure why not make it legal. If a person wants to get addicted to it, then okay. Kill yourself

Tired Hiker
No one has ever died from merely smoking marijuana.

Tired Hiker
In fact, many people who are dying love to use marijuana. Take AIDS patients for example. Pot makes them hungry, so they eat and stay healthy, it also helps relieve stress and it smells damn good too! Cancer patients use it, people with anxiety disorders, etc. etc. etc. That's why it IS legal in California. There are a lot worse things one can do to kill theirself that smokin a little weed. Happy Dance

DemonicGambit
Non, but probably the things they have done from taking Marijuana

booniae
Not true. Lots of people die from drugs. People in car accidents are usually positive after being tested for marijuana. And when you smoke a lot, you can honestly feel yourself getting stupider. A lot of my friends had really screwed up their lifes cuz of it. Thank God I quit before I let that happen to me.

Boo bunny

Tired Hiker
Are you really this ignorant? Or are you joking?

booniae
You talking to me?

Boo bunny

Ushgarak
Yes he is, and he is being very weird, calling you ignorant when you have personal experience.

Tired Hiker
actually that was directed toward Gambit. But I decided to leave it there after reading bunny person's.

Ushgarak
Ahh, ok

booniae
How exactly would that be me being ignorant??? I'd really like to know! That's great if your in love with it, but I've seen it's effects one too many times and I don't need to sit here and listen to you call me ignorant because of how I feel on the topic.

Boo bunny

Ushgarak
Nah, apparently all a timing misunderstanding, so let;s not worry about it.

booniae
Sounds like it was directed to both Gambit and I.

Boo bunny

Tired Hiker
No, Ush, I'm totally talking to her too. Sorry. But the problem I have is that I don't know lots of people who died from drugs but I do know lots of people who smoke pot. So, I'm speaking from experience too. I'm sorry your friends screwed up their lives cuz of weed, although I find that hard to believe it was the weed's fault. Stupid people smoke weed just as much as smart people do.

Ushgarak
Plentiful examples around of perfectly normal people having lives messed up by weed; it is easy for problems to arise from it.

Tired Hiker
Too many people associate weed with heavy drugs like alcohol and coke and crank and all that BAD stuff. Weed isn't for only getting high and partying. It's all about self control and moderation. I personally have nothing against marijuana. I love everything about it from the way it looks to the way it smells. Did you know that marijuana is one of the most, if not the most oxygen producing plant in the world? Did you know the 1937 Marijuana Tax act was created by William Randolf Hearst and his associates to prevent people from making their own paper? It wasn't a drug issue back then, it was a threat to the commercial newspaper industry as well as other companies like Du Pont. Many people, especially those who have never smoked weed, don't ever question why a drug like alcohol is legal and can be bought anywhere, when something less harmful like weed is deemed as an evil drug that leads people into doing other heavier drugs.

Ushgarak
I can't stand the smell; makes me gag. And I have seen what it has done to some of my friends which pretty much puts me off legalising it for recreational use.

Tired Hiker
Fair enough, Ush. But please understand that I have seen other people get into trouble or get lazy as well and yes they smoked weed, but they did other stuff that was very self destructive that had nothing to do with smoking weed. On the other end of the spectrum, I know people who run their own companies, people who are doctors, city council members, very succesfull people and they smoke marijuana. I just wish more people knew the truth about the history of it and why it is illegal than it being just a bad drug. Please don't hate me cuz I'm beautiful. But by all means, hate me.
sad
Your friendly neighborhood pot head.

Ushgarak
It's illegal here for perfectly boring reasons. And just because some people use weed and do not self-estruct, and just because some people using weed self-destruct for non-weed reasons, does not mean that weed is safe, that is not associative.

Tired Hiker
But alcohol is? I'm not saying you said that, but by that rational, why is weed illegal and alcohol isn't. This is what I started this post about to begin with.

Ushgarak
You can practically ban weed, but not alcohol, so the comparison is futile.

Tired Hiker
Negative, Ghost Rider. Times are changing and there are more people out there with my beliefs than you may think. Besides, the comparisons are not my main focus, it's 'why can you practically ban weed and not alcohol' that is my focus, and I've never heard a legitimate reason for it from anyone.

Tired Hiker
It's been fun, I'll be back tomorrow for more. Peace.

ChinaNiki
Personally, I don't smoke or drink, but I have been around plenty of people doing both. I think it all depends on a person's ability to control themselves while under the influence of drugs or alcohol. My cousin used to work between 60-80 hours a week. Pot was the only recreation he had time for. Now he only works around 40 hours, he rarely smokes pot. I've been the designated driver for a lot of my friends when they have been partying and I much prefer the pot smokers to the drinkers. I find pot smokers less likely to get into fights and less disruptive while I'm driving. They are also less likely to puke all over my car. I would prefer that pot were legal instead of alcohol. However, it should be regulated if it were legalized. And the idea of DUI's for pot would only mean anything if the police and courts enforced them in the same manner they enforce drunk driving DUI's, which in my experience has not been much at all.

Tired Hiker
Thank you for such words of wisdom that this thread has certainly lacked. Your point of view is highly appreciated by myself. I have had some time now to think about what I want out of all of this and I guess it has come down to this thought: Don't smoke weed if it's not your thing. I'm totally cool with that. I'm not trying to force anyone to do it. Just don't knock it when it is important to other people that smoking marijuana is part of their lives. I once covered a story for the news on the feds who busted a couple in Santa Cruz for growing weed on their property. The pot farm was grown by the people who used it which consisted of mostly sick people who needed marijuana to help them cope with their everyday struggles caused by their sickness. My heart went out to them when the DEA pulled their plants. This was their last little slice of Heaven on Earth before they were going to die. Three of them died within five months after the crop was seized. The owners told Action News, the station I work for, (as it is referred to by the locals in Monterey County) that the people would have died in a lot less pain if they had their pot.

And like China said, she'd prefer being around pot smokers as opposed to drinkers. I know what she means. Also, take note, China and I are about the same age so maybe this is something that we've had much more experience with than most of you. I've noticed a lot of you are young and maybe I should not be discussing this subject. After all, marijuana wasn't important to me until I was about 20 years old. Most of you aren't that age. Please forgive me if I rousted you and made you feel I was pushing pot onto you, that was never my intention.

Stovenutts
"write your congress"

booniae
Too long...

Celsius
Marijuana should only be legal in medicinal use. I dont care how many ppl say that it has no negative effect...BUL$HIT!! Too many ppl that i have known have tried it, kept at it, and in the end became total A$$ HOLES. I changes ppl, not for the better unfortunately, it slows your brain down. Ask any doctor. Any idiot trying to tell you that it doesnt should have their head examined.

*lets off a bit of steam*

Sorry, thats just the way i feel. My best frien in russia tried the stuff, he was a straight A student..... now he is in a juvinile prison. Just goes to proove that that $HIT is dangerous.

q14cyber
no cuz i got high wen i was nine lalala lalalalalala!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i love pepsi dont you?

Celsius
riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight. ermermermermermerm

Ushgarak
Tired Hiker, to say this thread has lacked wisdom so far is INCREDIBLY arrogant on your part. I find great wisdom in those who support for it to be kept illegal- reagrdless of their age.

And you were talking of the hypocrisy of keeping weed illegal whilst alcohol is not; but society cannot keep alcohol illegal without destroying itself. All I know is that legalising it would destroy more lives; I am happy with the law as it is. Just because YOU like it does not mean it is good for society, which is what the argument should be about.

Ushgarak
Now, this has become a somewhat political debate since people started mounting attacks of ignorance and foolishness on other's opinions, which we would not tolerate without decent backing even in the old debate forum, and DEFINITELY not here. Closing, and try not to start contentious debates like this in future.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.