Money Wars: Episode Xxx

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

ToMacco
Okay, listen up; I love Star Wars. I LOVE IT!!!! But I really have some grudges with the whole thing. I was reading some posts about the Star Wars DVD, and I vented a little bit in there, but I seriously want to talk about this whole thing.

I truely believe that George Lucas doesn't give one rat's ass about us Star Wars fans. I think he's simply trying to milk every dime out of us as possible. And I'll tell you why:

1. Lucas refuses to release the OT on DVD . Why the hell do you think he does this? It's the same reason he won't release the Indiana Jones Trillogy on DVD. He is creating an enormous supply/demand for the moment either trillogy comes out. Not to mention the fact that everyone will buy the films (in both trillogys) on video FIRST!!! I know that Lucas is finally releasing the Jones Trillogy on DVD, but the last film came out 14 years ago. And now that talks of the fourth Jones film is afoot, it's the perfect time to release those DVDs. Coinscidence? I doubt it.

I find it a MAJOR insult for Lucas to tell us fans that "Episode I" couldn't come out on DVD for so long, because there were so many "extras". The cassette came out for "Episode I" around one year after the movies' theater release. So what happened? Everyone went out and bought the VHS version. Lucas made millions. Then, one year later, Lucas said his team had completed the complicated DVD, then put that on the market. We all bought it, and Lucas mad millions.

But what about "Episode II"? One year after its release, the VHS

AND the DVD came out on the same date. The "Episode II" DVD captured just as many extras as the "Episode I" DVD. So, what made the "Episode I" extras so much more complicated that the "Episode II" extras? Not one damn thing.

George Lucas LIES. He is lying to all of us.

2. It's Not About Star Wars I have no doubt that George Lucas is trying to make entertaining films, but that is not his main goal.

George Lucas shot "Episode II" digitally. Is he trying to advance the movie-going industry? Yes, but yes to HIS profit.

Many movie critics complained because theaters throughout the country were not capable of showing "Episode II" in it's 'true form'. 99% of America's theaters don't have digital screenings. Gee, I wonder if Lucas will supply, or at least demand digital screens for every theater in the United States ( not to mention the rest of the world, eventually). Lucas has completely cornered the digital theater world. . . before it has even started. Soon, digital screenings will be required, and Lucas will receive EVERY PENNY, just like he makes money off of Skywalker Sound, and ILM; the cornerstones of the special effects, and sound effects in the world in Hollywood.

*sigh* In short, my friends, young and old; I still love Star Wars. I am SO interested in what will happen in "Episode III".

But George Lucas. . . he is only making money off of us. Don't buy into one of is lies. When he says "The OT will come out when it's ready."; he really means; "The OT will come out when I can make millions."

finti
Indiana jones have a november release.
Lucasfilm is playing us like the LOTR are, they release it on dvd only to release an extended version of the same film some months later on. Its all about money, but if you are smart you just buy the product you want. Me i bought the OT on VHS cause I didnt have a DVD at that time

Rogue Jedi
right on, finti.

Ushgarak
Pfft. I have never had much time for such accusations.

People seems to have this amazing habit of believing the worst in other people despite there being fully convincing innocuous and utterly understandable reasons for every single complaint that you have raised, if you could be bothered to check rather than rant. But that does not suit your view of the establishment as greedy money-grabbing guys so you have made it look as bad as possible. People forget that it is NOT a crime to want to make money, nor is it immoral, but just because they are a corporation that is interested in profits you seem to have turned GL into the anti-Christ.

Well, here are the FACTS to counter these accusations.

1. George Lucas did not consider it possible to work on DVDs for the new films until they were all done. He was convinced later that it was entirely possible and they got the work done and released it. This was simply a matter of GL being wrong about things. Once it was clear this was possible the subsequent AOTC DVD release was done simultaneously.

2. Work on the OT DVDs will take YEARS. They have a VERY VERY long job ahead of them to do that and it is NOT POSSIBLE whilst the existing films are being done. They have not been at all deceitful- they have stated the OT DVDs will be done after the new trilogy is finished and their story has not wavered! Nor can I think of any reason why the OT DVD would make more money then than now. Even if it DID, I have no objection to marketing helping shape a release date- it is called the modern capitalist world.

3. George Lucas likes to advance technologies, to use new techniques, to make money, and to corner a market. That does not mean his commitment to making the films has changed. It was the SAME back with the OT, setting up concerns like Skywalker Sound and ILM, but no-one seemed to worry about him then. This is his JOB. EVERYONE would want to get paid as much as possible for doing their job and GL has done it particularly well. If I could pioneer a new technique and then get paid a small fortune every time it was used by someone subsequently, I sure as hell would do it!

If I did not know better, and I am not sure if I do, I would put this down to jealously. I do not think GL talks lies here; I find these accusations hasty and ill-founded. I am sure, To, that you will not believe any of what I just said, and consider it more lies, but I feel that will say more about closed minds getting angry at GL for being rich and making money, than anything else.

GL never pretended this was charity work. It has always been a business. But let us be clear here. What is the main thing GL has done with the money Lucasfilm makes? Made more films. And this is GL's love, and his commitment to that remains unaltered. He has become a rich man himself as well, but so what? If he wants to make money, I say let him. He's given us these wonderful movies and I find it petty to snipe at him for going about it in a business-like manner, and I find no abuse beyond standard business practice in the way Lucasfilm pursues its marketing.

As for LOTR, they never lied about that either, they said straight up there would be a standard version then an extended one some months later. If people are weird enough to buy both or could not be bothered to check that this was so that was their fault, not the makers of the DVDs- and as Finti says, if you are smart, you will not waste anything.

The OT DVD will ALREADY make all the money anyone would ever want. The reason it is not out? Not because GL is greedy- because if he was he would release it NOW, then release another 'finished' version later (you must admit, that would be the only consistent course of action with the accusations you have made, To). But because he is a perfectionist and will not release it until he is happy with the things done wth it.

In conclusion- yes, GL and Lucasfilm are very interested in making money. But no, they are not being abusive in doing so, nor is GL lying in a cynical attempt to fleece us for cash.

finti
only thing Ush, not all consumers are as enlightened about the products especially LOTR. Info of the DVDs were spares about an extended version here in Norway and I know many felt tricked when they bought the first/theatre edition of FOTR only to learn about the November release of the Extended one.

But for those who are enlightened you ought to be smart enough to select what you want to buy.

Ushgarak
Yeah, the only thing that got me about that was that they advertised the Extended version ON thew normal one... that seemed odd.

But I really do think that if GL was greedy he would release the OT now and then the souped-up version after the films- that he is not shows that he has different motives.

Rogue Jedi
that makes sense.

finti
Yes I reacted to the add on the normal version as well.

Hey I want the DVD of the OT out now as well, but George is occupied with EPIII and haven got time to work on the OT DVD yet.
He wants them to be as good as they can be, and I gladly wait for that rather than a rushed release with no goodies

Rogue Jedi
entirely too much lucas bashing here. posers. you know who you are.

Corran
My theory is that some of the extras in the OT would give away things GL has planned for EP III, so he must wait until then.

ToMacco
I don't want to see any souped up version of the original trillogy. I want the original versions of each one. I don't want to see some crappy looking Jabba talking with Han in Episode IV, I don't want to see some goofy looking white beast eating meat in Episode V, I don't want to see a giant celebration at the end of VI, and I certainly don't want to see anyone else besides Anakin, Obi-wan and Yoda as ghosts at the end of "Jedi".

Ushgarak
Well, that is not what George Lucas wants to release. Feel free to criticise him for THAT, but money is not his motive for it.

Rogue Jedi
it is his vision, not ours.

finti
Maybe we will get the originals as an extra feature on on the DVD`s

finti
this has turned into an OT thing so moving it to that section

Captain REX
I can't wait for the OT to come out on DVD. It better be a good DVD, for all the time we have to wait.

A company in Japan is using DVD burners to simply put the films from the video to the DVD. They are making a ton of cash on the Star Wars films.

ToMacco
When the DVD's do come out, they BETTER be the original versions, with the special editions as extras.

Captain REX
Sadly, they probably won't be...

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.