Doc Ock's tentacles look the same as a Sentinal's

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Plazman
The tentacle on Doc Ock look exactly the same as the tentacle on the Sentinels in the Matrix! Especially the red light in the middle! That's so derivative and dumb. Shame on them. miffed

DemonicGambit
Wow, if you hadn't pointed that out I never would have noticed

aboutmike13
Does it really matter ? What it make a whole lot of difference if they didn't have the red light ? Just curious , if you could tell me how having those "dumb" doc oc tentacles then tell me what would be the best alternative.

Plazman
No red lights would be good enough for me! Then they would resemble the original non-Matrixized version from the comics. I LOVE the Matrix, but I'm sick of seeing things imitate it. Naturally things are goin to be influenced by such a ground-greaking film, but the tentacles look identical to me.
Wow! I just made a rhyme! LOL.

MaverickIce
Look, not every slo-mo or speical effect is a rip off the Matrix. And the best form of flattery is imitation laughing out loud But, Jeez I am Sick of ppl saying, well just cause someone happens to be going in slo-mo in a trailer, that its an automatic ripoff! (not saying that you were talking like that)
Just the other day, I heard a friend of mine saying " I heard there is going to be a ripoff of Pixar's: The Incrediables (a movie about a superhero family) called the Fanastic Four!" I just stared at him, trying so hard to resisting to smack him. So needless to say, don't jump the gun saying that something's ripoff when you don't know all the facts.

revolution_man
i soooooo agree with plazman. i am so sick and tired of movies copying the matrix! i mean every action scene now has to have some type of slo-mo shot. i mean come on ppl...they made a movie called " the one" !!!! how cheap is that? i would also like to wonder how the hell spiderman grossed 400 million freakin dollars?! i mean the movie wasnt thaaaat good! i mean sure, it was a fun movie to watch but shouldnt a movie like ummm "The matrix!" or the "matrix reloaded!" earn that title? sry for being harsh, i just had to express my feelings.

MaverickIce
its alright, i've been bashed worse. laughing out loud I thought the One had a pretty good plot. Anyway its not like I hate the Matrix, look who's under my name! I for one though am sick of the critics who think a movie is a direct ripoff, speical effects might be a ripoff, though I think its just that the Matrix was the first to fully unlock some of the potential and others are using the new gereneration of speical effects, and soon enough, another movie will set even higher levels for speical effects.

CaptainInsano
I think they look a little weird but the green goblin looked weird too, the point is that they are going for a more "retro" look

Zephonim
As amzing as the picture looks and as amazing as this movie will be, WHO THE HELL CARES IF THEY LOOK LIKE THE SENTINALS FROM THE MATRIX? Comments like this are what help to enforce the stereotype that we comic book nerds have. I hope you are proud of yourself for setting back our cause another five years. DICK!

FLIPMODE
Well Im not sure yet if this a negative thing in general yet...but I ALSO noticed the "RIP" which seems SO OBVIOUS to anyone who follows both movies well enough. To me at first sight I noticed the the blatant look a like.

NOW ofcourse by the time the movie comes out, it probably wont show this much resemblence as this ock poster does, but I sense that they are trying to rub off the popularity of things in general to garner excite for the movie.

Because when you think about it,..there was actually NO REAL NEED for the tentacles to look like that....It just seems like they added that at the end.

Anyway, no real harm done. But I can see how people hate that sort of thing. I tend to get more angry when current music rips off each other.

But it's still good to point out things like this, shows the lack of originality.
No harm in that.

BTW, "Blade" Pre-dates the Matrix, and plenty of aspects were ripped or borrowed from it and put in the Matrix.

Zephonim
Everything that has existed in the past 100 years is a ripoff, or rips off something that happened or was done before it. The tentacles look like the ones in the Matrix but have differences. If you look each one has a yellow stripe down the bottom like a snake, wicked cool. Each tentacle also serves a different function and has different traits, wicked cool.
Movies steal effects because they sell seats. Matrix discovered the slow-mo. People liked it. Other movies will do the same. Look how many games pull of the slow-mo thing as a power. Everything has been stolen from something else.
That is part of what the directors tried to do, in each movie they want to do something no one has seen before. Soon movies will have fights like the Agent Smith one. It's how things work. Ripping Off helps technology advance. It makes animators and directors work harder to do new things. Ripping off is what helps America survive. smile

Oh come on lets stop all this bitterness, i think a lot of us on this whole SPIDERMAN section that Spiderman is one of the best (if not the best) movie ever made! And for my the Matrix comes in a close 2nd

Meli
Accually, if you look at Doc Ock's Tentacles in the comic or animated thing, there is that red light and yellow stripe. smile Besides, you can't really compare Doc Ock to Sentinals. If anything, the Matrix got that idea from something else. But hey, Doc Ock is supposed to look like that! (Way cool!)

Zephonim
Spider-Man was easily one of the coolest movies ever. The second will be better too because it will have way more action. I also thought the Matrix was damn sweet, but not in my top ten. The story had way too many plot holes and I had major problems with the whole idea of what the Matrix was and how it worked. In the end it managed to piss me off more than anything else.

(but the fighting was damn cool) big grin

amity75
I'm just annoyed that they've done away with Doc ocs pudding bowl haircut.

Red Superfly
Actually, when I first saw the Matrix I thought they ripped THEIR tentacles from Dock Ock.

So I guess it could be like this:

Dock Ock - ripped from - Sentinals - ripped from - Dock Ock

Also, I think the red light resembles a "suction pad" or something (???), to make the reference to an Octopus even more clear, without adding suction pads all over the arms (like a real Octopus or that new Squid enemy in the comics) as it would be straying too far from the original design.

So yeah, I reckon The Sentinals have a LOT to thank Stan Lee for.

spider-venom
does any1 have a pictures so i can c wut guys r talking about and compare them??????/

Lord Shadow Z
The tentacles on Doc Ock look really badly animated and don't fit in with the scene at all, because I've just seen a trailer on it and it was incredibly laughable how they've managed to make the CGI look completely out of sync with the real footage.
Honestly, I didn't know they could make it look worse than the first one but I think they just have.

Sith Master X
It's funny you mentioned that because I was thinking the same thing, especially when they show the scene of Doc Ock telling Peter to find SpiderMan or he'll peel the flesh off of MJ's bones. You can clearly see the tentacles there, and they do sort of look like the ones in the Matrix.

SMX
cool

VENOMfan
Doc Ock is very matrixy, the coat the shades and the tenticles.

but from what little action Ive seen in the teaser Doc and Spidey make Neo and Smith look pretty tame.

Reloaded had the multiple smiths, that was cool Revolutions had the big splash also good and Neodammerung really tipped it off. but there fighting is really more of the same.

were the fights in spiderman will just get better and better becuase Spidey has to adapt to differnt threats. Goblin wasnt much of a chalange hand to hand wise but Ock has already out classed him from what Ive seen and thats proably only a tiny fraction of the actual fight.

Red Superfly
"Goblin wasnt much of a chalange hand to hand wise."

He was, he kicked Spideys ass and would have whupped him if he didn't push him over the edge and really piss him off.

Why does everybody think that the tentacles and the black leather coat are ripping off The Matrix? I'm sorry but that's lame.

Why are people always comparing things to The Matrix anyway? It was sure famous, but that trilogy is by no means a classic. The first movie was admittedly, brilliant, but just because it used slo-motion effects to sell tickets means that it should be compared to EVERY SINGLE blockbuster?

"oooh he wears a long black coat and has a red light on his tentacles - just like The Matrix" That's down to opinion.

In fact, I didn't think of The Matrix at all when I saw Dock Ock, because I saw Dock Ock, nothing else. Not "Cardboard man" Neo, not Smith, I saw Doctor Octopus.

Again, it's down to opinion.

Spiderman_RJ
F*ck MATRIX !!!!!!!!! WHO THE HELL CARES!??!?! U NERD
u re just like those guys whining cos oc coat was brown instead of white like in the first comics

Spiderman_RJ
i agree with u superfly cool , the only movie that can be compared to matrix is underworld ,becouse its a copy of matrix in a RPG game................. all RPGs players expected an epic odissey MUAHAHAH losers sick (no ofense in direct way)

Asian Hulk
So Dr.Octopus can tumbling to fight Spidey.

Spiderman_RJ
is this ur drawing ASIAN HULK, if so its really sweety, u have clean lines i invy u my drawing are more agressinve stile i add to much details.........

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.