I'm so sick of these over-worked Purists!

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Cleopatra
Blah...Blah...Everyone is pissed about the Movie not following closely enough to the Book. Think about this...

In making the LOTR Trilogy...Peter Jackson has made most of the viewers gain an interest in the books...if anything, he is promoting the books! I can't tell you how many people I know who have seen the movie, then go out and buy the book first thing because They've enjoyed it so much! Then...they are almost always pleasantly suprised at how much more enjoyable the Books are than the movies. I've read most of the entire works of JRRT...and found the Movies beyond my expectations. When I first heard that they were making this masterpiece into a movie, I shuddered at the thought of them splicing and dicing the original genious like most Directors do to great novels. Good Job PJ! You combined the impossible task of pleasing purists as well as appealing to the masses, most of which have never heard of LOTR..but now are enthusiests!

There I said it.
cool

Ushgarak
Yup... but this argument has already been had a few times in the threads already!

billyboyd4ever
but i still agree....i loathe how people think the movies have to mirrow the books...

undomiel
i know
I think its stupid

turin
amen!!! it would never be brought to life in complete book form and if it were it would be less apealing to the masses (it would be a long movie) plus pj exploited some of the story lines to make it more interesting. he did one hell of a job.

fini
GOOD god how many "Orlando bloom" and " People arguing bout the similarities with the book and movie" threads must WE HAVE ?????????????????????????????????????/

Mormegil
Low and behold, here comes the eleged 'purist,' hater of all movies! NOT!

I love the movies beyond any others that I have ever seen. They are works of art (quite literally) and are incredibly awesome in countless ways. These movies are better than I thought a movie could be, and they have given me a great respect for Peter Jackson.

In a recent thread it has come to my attention that certain details missing in the Theatrical Two Towers will be included in the Extended Version of the Two Towers DVD. Having put to rest many of my misgivings about the movies, I have quite little to complain about.

However, as you all well know, my misgivings have not all been quenched by what will be in the Extended Versions of the movies. The following is a list of things that I wish were different:
>Ever since reading the Return of the King, I have looked forward with unbelieveably great anticipation to seeing it on film in this Trilogy by PJ.
>Faramir's character was severely degraded by the film, and it could have been just as good a movie with Faramir the way he was supposed to be.

Well, there you have it. Those are the only things left I have to complain about. Although, as I've said before, the part with Tom Bombadil was one of my favorite parts of FotR, I agree that the movie could do without it. And, although the scouring of the Shire is not imperitive, I still can't get past my total and utter disapointment that my immeasureable anticipation was totally in vain. The only thing that I believe Peter Jackson could have done without affecting the movies for others was keep Faramir with his character undefiled. Unfortunately, that is not going to happen, and Faramir's character in the movies has lost my respect. And by the way, I only started reading the books because I saw The Fellowship of the Ring. Just as it did many others, it inspired me to read the books. And yet, here I am now complaining about the way Peter Jackson did the movies. And by all means, I am not a purist. I liked the Elves at Helm's Deep. I liked the charge of Eomer down the hill. I liked the more comedic Merry and Pippin. I liked each and every thing about the Lord of the Rings movies other than the things I've mentioned that I specifically didn't like. The difference between me and a 'purist' is that I have both a deep and true understanding and appreciation for Tolkien's works on Middle-Earth as well as a deep and true respect and appreciation for the precise art that is film-making. I am the best of both worlds, and I am beyond such petty bickering and debate about each and every little detail about the book being folled by the movies. The movies are damn good, and so are the books. 2 things I complained about, 2 things out of the entire Lord of the Rings movie trilogy. A purist would be debating how stupid it is for Elves to be in Helm's Deep, while a merely Movie-appreciator would be saying it made the battle sequence all the more enjoyable. I agree that the movie was thus more enjoyable, and I think it made for better plot developement.

Finally, as you criticize each and every word and comma I wrote, please be aware that I have a very busy schedule for today and tomarrow and might not be very quick to responding. I will take any and all opportunities to respond, but no gaurantees.

chica16
i agree w/ the faramir part that was the first thing that stuck out to me as messed up but that's really the only complaint i have PJ has done a really really really great job and i can't wait for ROTK

billyboyd4ever
no one was pointing any fingers at you mormegil, honestly. i can tell that you merely love tolkien and that is not a crime. there are people who are purists though, and it is incredibly annoying, but we never said that you were one of these obsessive purists.

Mormegil
I was accused once, but that was cleared up. The beggining thing of "Low and behold, here comes the eleged 'purist,' hater of all movies! NOT!" was just a sarcastic comment. As for the rest of the post, I wanted to clear up anyone from calling me a purist so I wouldn't have to go through the whole proccess again. Keeping ahead of the game, that's all.

billyboyd4ever
its ok, i was just making sure you didnt feel um...degraded (for lack of a better word) because of these posts

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.