Monkey returns to UK terrestrial TV - Friday nights on Channel 4!

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Saiyuuki
Taken from the "Monkey Heaven" web site (www DOT monkeyheaven DOT com) -

In the early 1980s, the BBC showed the cult Japanese TV show Monkey every Friday at 6pm on BBC2.
In January 2003, after an absence of over 17 years, Monkey returned to UK terrestrial TV.
The first 13 episodes of Monkey were shown on Channel 4 on Thursday nights between January and April 2003.

These episodes were hugely popular, with up to 500,000 people tuning in each week!
In response to public demand, Channel 4 have decided to screen the next 26 episodes of Monkey. It will be shown on Friday nights, after midnight (i.e. early hours of Saturday morning).

Monkey episode 14 will be shown on Channel 4 on Friday 8 August 2003 night, after midnight, at 01:40am - 02:30am (i.e. early hours of Saturday 9 August 2003)

Note: The screening slots at that time of night are very flexible, so it's very possible that the slot will change during the 26 weeks, so keep checking TV guides every week to make sure you don't miss any Monkey episodes because of any rescheduling!

Please spread the word and help make these episodes as popular as they can possibly be!

Here's a synopsis of Monkey episode 14 to whet your appetite...

Monkey episode 14: Catfish, Saint and the Shape-Changer
The pilgrims enter a volcanic land that is plagued by earthquakes caused by the frequent quarrelling of two local demons; a catfish demon and a faceless shape-changer demon, who can take on the shape of anyone. The holy priest San-Chung tells Monkey, Pigsy, Sandy and Tripitaka that one of them is the shape-changer. Unable to cope with this revelation, they go their separate ways.

Other Monkey news:
- Awesome new dance remixes of the theme song from Monkey, "Monkey Magic", will be released in the UK later in 2003! Go to "www DOT Grebeau DOT co DOT uk" to hear preview clips from these remixes.
- Following rave reviews in New York, a stage version of the Monkey story hits this year's Edinburgh Festival between Monday 4 - Saturday 9 August 2003
- Monkey has been nominated in this year's International Cult TV awards, to be presented at the UK's annual Cult TV festival (www DOT cult DOT tv)
- All the episodes of Monkey ever made are now available on DVD in the UK!

Keep checking out "www DOT monkeyheaven DOT com" for the latest Monkey news & information, the OFFICIAL MONKEY SCREENSAVER for Windows, Monkey e-cards, and more.

Corran
Oh cool.

mechmoggy
Monkey is such a great show. cool

Godshinto
I've seen that show before hat's great that it's back on so that I can finally see all of the epsiodes.

Saiyuuki
I've heard from Channel 4 that approx. 1/5 million viewers tuned in to watch the Monkey episode 14 at 1.40am last Friday night!!!!

If more and more people watch it, you never know, Channel 4 may move it to a better timeslot wink

So if you can, please spread the word...

This week's episode "Monkey Meets the Demon Digger" will be shown:
- Channel 4, Friday 15 August night, after midnight, at 01:50am - 02:45am.

It's an absolute classic, and a little-known fact is that this episode features 2 songs sung by Masaaki Sakai, Monkey himself! (one of them is his Japanese version of the classic Godiego ballad "Thank You, Baby"wink

Here's my synopsis of this episode, that I wrote for the Monkey videos and DVDs...

Episode 15 - Friday 15 August 2003 night: 01:50am - 02:45am
(i.e. after midnight on *Friday night*)
Monkey Meets the Demon Digger
While climbing a mountain, the pilgrims discover a man who's been digging a tunnel through the mountain for the past twenty-two years, to provide an easier route for travellers. Ever-helpful Tripitaka tells his reluctant disciples that they must all stay and help dig the tunnel until it's finished. When Monkey uses his magic to help speed things up, Tripitaka is furious and dismisses him. Without Monkey around, the pilgrims fall into grave danger.

Don't miss it!

To keep up with the latest Monkey news & info, including any updates to the Monkey screening schedule on Channel 4, keep checking www DOT monkeyheaven DOT com

Korri
i was gonna stay up and watch it but i was too tired wot is it about?

Saiyuuki

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.