Harry Potter a ripoff of LotR?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Danistar
There's some similar things between these stories:

1. The forests where live horrible creatures
2. The lakes where also live horrible creatures
3. The spiders: Aragog and Shelob
4. Nazguls an Dementors
5. The mirrors

Look here:

Laviera_j
Thats bloody true! Wow, and people have been fighting over these two movies for how long and thay are quite the same!

they have the same kinda story too, bad guy and less bad guys beneath them...

Saruman and Lucius - or maybe not...
but still...

Good connection with The dementors and the wraiths though...

Danistar
Well, bad and good guys have all stories. wink

And I'm so angry about the Dementors i thought that they were really original characters but now I see they aren't.
They will look very similar to each other in movies. confused

tiger lilly
the dementors look brilliant!!!!! fair enough they look a bit similar to the nazgul but still really good!!! rock

aragorniscool45
i cant wait until i see Hp3

Ushgarak
Oh, not this AGAIN... (yawns)

When will people remember that ALL stories take inspiration from prrevious stories- JUST as LOTR did?

Laviera_j
Also, the similarities between the mountain troll and the troll in the bathroom...

Danistar
Dementors shouldn't have face.

frootlooplucy
i was gonna say the same thing as Ushgarak... so yeah, just read his/her post.
man, those Dementors are revolting!! very cool, but revolting. and their mouths are sposed to be round and hollow: O : (like so.)

unibrow
and theyre not really suppsed to have eyes...just skinned stretched over empty sockets

chica16
harry potter is a ripoff of LOTR.. i've been saying this forever

the big spiders
the trolls
that little dobby creature is a ripoff of gollum(did anyone see gollum's mtv movie award speech.. hahha)
the dementors yes yes

chica16
but harry potter will in no way ever match lotr

airangel429
Well when you are writing about fantasy fics you have to know that they will all have certain similairities...THOUGH the stories are different... both may have a herioc boy..... but HP is its OWN story as is LOTR

Wizards, witches, dragons, trolls, dobby, gollum.........

they will have the same types of characters........ both are versus good adn evil......but heck there are TONS of fantasy fan fics out there that I am sure have the SAME qualities..............

just like romance novels........girl meets boy, they fall in love then he has to save her some how....... its just the type of story that it is.......

its not a crime that they are different

MoonChild
i agree with airangel429 and Ushgarak......i dont think that harry potter is a ripoff to lotr.....they just are slightly similar....but their stories are soooooo completely different!!! and the monsters in the forest and lake statement is sorta weak.....they are TONS of movies with creatures in the forests and lakes!!!

Danistar
I don't say that it's a copy of LotR but some things are copied.

LilyGinnyBlack
Like my dad said, " Everyone takes things from other books, movies, songs, ect." If one one did that we would have run out of ideas and stories and songs a long time ago. Oh, and about the forest and lakes, that is something that is in every fantasy novel. For, in Greek and Roman myths it was said that evil creatures dwelt in dark forests and lakes and things.

Also just because the Dementors and Nazguls look the same doesn't mean they do the same things, they do totally different things. The Nazgul our drawn to the One Ring and will hunt whom ever has it for as long as it is still unharmed. As for the Dementor's they are just dark creatures who guard a wizarding prison and suck all happy memories and thoughts and warmth from a persons body.

Now, for the two spiders. First off the clan of spiders in Harry Potter were there for the purpose of the plot and also it was a clan, not just one single spider. These spiders did not harm Hagrid and were not just obsessed with eating people. They also lived in the woods and not in the caves. As for Shelob, she was by herself, lived in a cave, harmed and killed and ate anyone unless they got away, and only thought of eating humans.

The mirrors are different too. The mirror in Lord of the Rings was able to show anything while the one in Harry Potter only showed a person's deepest desire. Oh, and using mirrors to show similarities is a weak point too, mirrors were thought to have extraordinary powers in the days around the time Lord of the Rings was written and are used in many fantasy stories.

The mountain trolls are pretty much the same though.

Finally, Dobby and Smeagol, though they may look or seem alike. . . they aren't. Dobby is a house elf, a slave to wizards and witches. Yet, he is set free by Harry and wants more freedom and such, he is also a fan of Harry Potter and tried to save his life. Smeagol, was not a house elf, though was a slave to the ring. . . yet in a different way, was not a fan of Frodo's yet saw him more respect then Sam, Smeagol fights with himself over his freedom with the One Ring; one part wants him to keep it while the other wishes to rid itself of it, and finally Smeagol never tried to save Frodo's life. . . yet he tried to take it!

I know you weren't saying that were totally the same. . . but I thought I'd point these things out! big grin

airangel429
Good Points LilyGinnyBlack... well put! big grin You need to go into politics with all your debates....hee hee big grin

Danistar
Well, roll eyes (sarcastic) , there was a clan of spiders in "Hobbit", and they lived in forest and they also enjoyed eating people........ roll eyes (sarcastic)

muse5
Alright, now for this one that i picked up and no one else did, Wormtail and Wormtounge... the characters are like paralell, both traitors that go running back to thier masters, and their masters aren't too nice to them... another thing, the prophecy in book 5 is almost similar to the prophecy about the nazgul... and at least tolkien admitted to borrowing folk lore, jkr nver did!!!

LilyGinnyBlack
Ya, JK admits to using folk lore's and myths! Oh, and no one mentioned the clan of spiders in The Hobbit, they only mentioned Shelob, so I only did the difference between Shelob and the spiders in Harry Potter! big grin

chica16
yeah but like i said Harry Potter will in no way ever be as good as lord of the rings

BOPRecruit 16
it would be really nice if people would quit comparing lotr and harry potter. it's getting very tiring to hear. i do have reasons to rant about this subject, but i don't feel like going into it.

LilyGinnyBlack
Yes, I believe that Lord of the Rings is better then Harry Potter, both the books and the movies. Yet, I still Harry Potter! love Why can't Harry Potter fans and Lord of the Rings fans get along? For I'm a fan of both!

Sephiroth02
i dont remember correctly, but wasnt shelob a shapechanger?

LilyGinnyBlack
No, Shelob was an anicent giant man-eating spider.

Laviera_j
Yeah a spider.

JediOasis
Personally I think the Harry Potter movies/books are way better than the LOTR movies/books, but thats not the discussion in this topic. Does HP borrow from LOTR, probably but I don't know/care enough about LOTR to know for sure. I always thought JKR borrowed more from George Lucas anyways. You have your good wizards like the Jedi and the bad ones like the Sith. Dumbledore is the Yoda of HP and HP is the Luke Skywalker and Voldermort is the Sidious. But thats besides the point, the only original stories are the old Roman/Greek myths and everything else is different variations from those original ideas such as SW, HP, and LOTR. Everybody likes what they like and it shouldn't matter who borrowed from who because everyone borrowed from something else anyways.

The Omega

crazy_rock_chic
I dont think the stories are the same!!!
ok, so maybe sum of the people are similar, but the harry potter books are about a wizarding school!, the LotR books are about the the journey the bearer has to make to destroy the ring! i dont think harry potter is a rip-off of LotR!!!!

Laviera_j
It is really unfair to compare them in the first place.

Think about it...harry potter and LOTR are of different generations. Hoe can you compare two things with equally admirable qualities, intended for different age group?

harry Potter is for a younger, more modern age range, whereas LOTR could now be called a classic by all writes.

Stop comparing because they are both good for what they are - AND THEY ARE BOTH BLOODY GREAT!

LOL!

eek! big grin

chica16
yeah but LOTR will always be better

LilyGinnyBlack
I agree with Chica 16 on that. Lord of the Rings is better! But, I still LOVE Harry Potter love!

Danistar
So all of us can agree that it's not a rip off! I'm glad. I made this thread because I just wanted to see what you think about that because there are many crazy people who can't live without comparing LotR and HP. :lough:

Scar
Bumping!

Sauron
Damn you for bumping this eek!

angelsflame265
http://www.mugglenet.com/parallels.shtml

a lot of storys are a like just look at that page! geez maybe its why we love these stories so much is because they are a like, but diffrent at the same time. so get over it -_-

shaber
How ignorant do you have to be to start threads like this one? Isn't it obvious even to the most half-witted individual that everything in literature is a copy of something that has been done before? Where else could author's get inspiration? Space? Tolkien very ostensibly copied the story of Beowulf and Andvari's Ring (amongst others) in his Middle Earth stories. Both the Dementors AND the Ringwraiths are derived from the Grim Reaper which has been used countles times in Western Literature.

Sauron
So silence!

angelsflame265
yes mighty sauron notworthy laughing out loud

Unicor777
Ok, I said this once and I'm going to repeat it: Demetros, Elfs, Orcs and stuff like belong to mythology, neither to Jk nor to Tolkin! I'm fed up of people coming to this forum saying that LOTR is better that HP, cause ITS NOT!!!!!! If u don't think so stay at LOTR forum, for Melin's sake ! This HP Forum and JK here rules!

HP 's got a dimension that LOTR doesn't have it ! Its the modern time, it takes place NOW ! While for LOTR we don't know the time, location! HP 's got a paralel dimesion!
So stay at LOTR forum, its got a plenty of place! Have some one from here come there bit.... about HP????

shaber
I agree smile LOTR is set in a prehistoric Europe by the way.

celestial_moon
im sorry but so what? both stories r similiar because they'r sorta like basic story lines. u have the reluctant hero, the mentor, the bad guy, the bad guy's accomplice, etc. ppl always debate over this. and obviously no 1's pressing charges. these plots r very common in 2day's world.

ladygrim
very true but many many movies are or going to be like it or similar to other movies... its just something we have to put up wit

RaventheOnly
Shelob was the mother of all spiders stick out tongue she spawned the Mirkwood spiders stick out tongue

RaventheOnly
Lotr and Harry potter are extrodinarily different...

The trolls for example are for starters in the LOTR are made from stone big grin and in many fantasy fan fictions very varying in looks.... some are tall and slender and earthlike while in lotr and Hp they are hefty and bulky.

Goblins in HP are intellegent and drawn to wealth in HP and are more like gnomes rather while in Lotr they are ferocious fighters similar to orc. Elves are peobably the greatest in difference between the two stories for obvious reasons stick out tongue in HP they are the generic Santa's size munchcins while in most other fan fics and lotr they are similar to humans. HP seems to be more magically inclined while everything else including Lotr is mystical and mysterious with great forces binding everything together.

Darth Sauron
no2 That was ungoliant

ladygrim
yeah there both similar but more alike in some places than others...... but yet they are both to differnt to be called ripoffs...

DanFan4000
Try not to queston J.K. too much, w/out her, this topic would not exist...

dark1365
HP isn't a ripoff of LotR.

impatientinky
defenitly not! there are plenty of stories out there about wizards.....and i'm sure you could find similarities in each of them. just like with any other type of story.

DanFan4000
Thank you both...

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.