Space Fights

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Glipt
For me the most incredible thing about episodes 1-3 was the incredible space scenes and dogfights. This is why SW episode 4 was originally considered immpossible to film by universal studios (for whom Lucas had previously made a fortune for with American Graffitti) and why 20th century fox got SW. These space scenes and dogfights were the backbone of the original SW series. What has happened to them?. We saw a bit in ep. 1 and next to nothing in ep. 2. Why is the final space battle in ROTJ (which is 20 YEARS OLD) still the best? Hopefully we will see mindblowing space battles in ep. 3. We should. I am currently rendering a space battle scene on my putsy home computer that a buddy of mine built in Lightwave that rocks. If a shcmoe like me can create decent space battles in my second bedroom how much more so can ILM blow our minds in ep. 3? Lucas.. Please lay off the digital creatures and concentrate on the backbone of SW. Give us the space battles we deserve. If not I guess I can always hope for ROTJ to be blown up to IMAX DMR. It's a shame that 20 year old tecnology still blows away all this computer stuff.

Baylin
Hear hear!!!

GABRIEL05
I agree. To me ROTJ space scene looks way better than any of the other Star Wars space battle scenes. It could possibly be the best space fight scene ever, almost as good The Last Starfighter (HA HA NOT!). Anywayz...

Captain REX
The space battle in ROTJ is great. It would be great if Lucas did SOME of the models instead of the CGI ships.

KidRock
hmm now that i think of it i dont remember any space battles in 1-2 lets hope that theres a great one in 3 and do you think they are going to introduce the X wing in 3?

Rogue Jedi
no space battles in 1 & 2? what about the slave 1 vs. obi wan in the jedi starfighter? what about the naboo fighters against the trade federation ship?

GABRIEL05
Man yeah the models kicked way so much ass!!! Lucas man...*sighs*...Bring back the models. Too much CG is like too much masturbation; sure it might feel good in the beginning, but then you start to loose touch with reality and it messes with your eyes. roll eyes (sarcastic)

Ushgarak
Graphics seem fine to me; I am not a big fan of this nostalgia for the 'old ways'.

Celsius
George Lucas used real life WW2 dogfights as a kind of example when making those scenes in the 4th 5th and 6th movies. some of the scenes are even exactly as they happened in the war except the planes have been replaced with X wings. and the backround changed and al the special effecs put in and stuff......what i mean is the George didn't really do muck coordinating when it came to the dog fights.

Ushgarak
Indeed, that is why the X-Wings bank when they turn.

GABRIEL05
Well the finished product still looks nice. Bring back the models lucas!

Glipt
Rouge Jedi. Yes. There were some space battles in ep. 1 &2 but nothing compared to ROTJ. Models rock but i'm not against digital either. To use digital on a space battle with the scope of ROTJ would be awesome. The shot in ROTJ when you fly under the medical frigate is my favorite special effect shot ever (right after the line "The're heading toward the medical frigate"wink. More viewpint shots like this would only be enhanced by using digital (in fact i'm rendering one right now that looks pretty good). In SW lore the X-wings were designed by the Empire and stolen by the rebels before they could put them into production. I'm hoping to see some but with all the stry left to tell in one movie i'm thinking we will be missing a lot still. Lucas should maybe make a 2.5 then a 3 or maybe do a LOTR and make episode 3 4 hours long. Come on Lucas you've made your money give us the whole story.

Rogue Jedi
i like the attack on the first death star.

KidRock
Indeed eek!

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.