Church Burns Harry Potter Books

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

The Omega
You don't believe me??
3rd of August 2003:

http://www.wzzm13.com/newsdefaultmail.asp?cmd=view&articleid=8002

Oh, the irony! They would've READ "Order of the Phoenix".

Fallin Angel
thats pretty horrible, that harry potter books are only a make believe story and y burn them , y not just don't buy them

SiriusBlackRIP
No book deserves to be burned. Its just plain ignorance. Hitler used to have mass book burnings.

Dracor
I almost pissed my pants laughing at that.

It glorifys sorcery and Satan?

I want to go to that churchand swing around a copy of a Harry potter book screaming 'Satan be with you!'

Just for shiets and giggles, since I don't believe in God or Satan.

If you do, I have nothing against it, but if you take it as far as these nut cases, I'll have to...

Hold on, I'll enter a smiley to convey what I'll do.

http://www.killermovies.com/forums/images/moresmilies/bangin.gif

http://www.killermovies.com/forums/images/moresmilies/2guns.gif

http://www.killermovies.com/forums/images/moresmilies/chair.gif

http://www.killermovies.com/forums/images/moresmilies/cursing.gif

http://www.killermovies.com/forums/images/moresmilies/giljotiini.gif

http://www.killermovies.com/forums/images/moresmilies/gun_bandana.gif

http://www.killermovies.com/forums/images/moresmilies/hoover.gif

Tonks
They are a Horibble People sad madIt think that they nee a doctor no I know that they need one. They Probally know that poeple dont belive that the stuff in the books are true. and the people that burn them are the people that havent read them.

Tonks
They are a Horibble People sad madIt think that they nee a doctor no I know that they need one. They Probally know that poeple dont belive that the stuff in the books are true. and the people that burn them are the people that havent read them. sad And they know for a fact that it is just Fanticey. Why cant they just mind there buiseness?? confused If they dont like them then they should just keep there peace. And let live the people that like them enjoy what they have. If Harry Potter is bad then why dont they Burn they the Cronicles of Narnia? or The Wheel of Time Sereis? or any other Fantisey book that they can find? I dont have anything against these books Accually im reading the Cronicles of Narnia, and im going to read the Wheel of Time soon smile so dont get me wrong they all follow the same thing. Magic, Adventures, and Myths. so they should just keep it to them selfs and they cant judge a book by the cover. or what other people say about the book. they should read it them selfs.
-Tonks

crazy_c
STOOOOOOOOOOOOOOPID PEOPLE!!!!!!!!

silver_tears
that is so dumb confused how can harry potter glorify satan when in fact this is a story of good versus evil where good wins . . . . it doesnt glorify satan it teaches children to do wats right even when things stand in the way, no person in their right mind should burn books . . . . and another thing the books are quite pricey why pay so much money for something to burn . . . . has anyone there heard of something called wood????? these people are just arrogant and simple minded, if you dont like it then dont buy the book! miffed: and this kind of stuff should not even make the news because it angers people who are normal mad

phee630
ookay, that burning article was kinda freaky. I mean, u should respect ppls viewpoints of religon and believes. But, u shouldn't take it public. I mean, if u don't like the harry potter books and magic stuff, then don't buy it, just ignore it. Think of happy thoughts....lol. Like dorthy did in the Wizard of Oz. Hee hee....well maybe. Does anyone get one i am trying to say here?

unibrow
i think the pastor has ADD or something.....seriously hes retarted!

but i am curious...its weird it doesnt talk about religion at all in hp...it just appears to me that everyone is either catholic or christian cuz of the holidays (christmas, easter) and that doesnt make sense cuz it does state clear out in the bible (i think..never read christian bible) that witchcraft is bad hence the witch burnings in the mid ages..but wouldnt religious catholics or christains (at least muggles) forbid their kids from learning witchcraft?

Laviera_j
Burning books is wrong - plain wrong i tell you! LOL!

WHAT THE TELLL ARE THEY POLUTING THE PLANET LIKE THAT FOR?

hee hee -

phee630
unibrow, i agree. I think she tries to stay away from religon to try not to upset anybody. The purpose of the book is jus to entertain you know. Oh, and in the fifth book, Hagrid says something bout god, and in the JK spelt God as Gawd. hm........that gives u something to think bout

Laviera_j
yeah...strange connection, but good...

N.Tonks
What a waste of money!!!! If they don't like the books they should just not buy them...

starlitegrl
that article was sooooooooooo stupid.
I heard about the church being against the hp books but I never knew they actually burned'em.

The Omega
Unibrow> Even atheists have holidays during X-mas and Easter. I doubt the Dursleys are religious at all, for example. You have plenty of books and stories, where religion plays no other part than being some relic part of society.

silver_tears
i stand by it these people are jus simple minded

ChinaNiki
actually easter is really a pagan holiday to celebrate the coming of spring. that's where the association with bunnies and eggs comes from cuz they are signs of fertility

when the romans (who were christians) invaded the greater part of europe waaaaaay back in the day they had to accept parts of pagan ceremonies in order to get people to wholly convert instead of nominally converting just to save their skins

unibrow
actually in the fifth book ron says thank god....i dont remember when but i also noticed when she spelt gawd wong but then in the fifth book hagrid says god and she spells it right...i dunno

The Omega

snlovergirl
ive heard something like this before and i think these people r complete idiots. y? well heres my list of reasons :ahem: here goes:

1. they buy the books, hence contributing to sales profit, then burn them! if a book burner happens to read this, please notify me when and where the next burning is taking place and i will graciously take some of the books off your hands. wink

2. harry potter and all other fantasy/hero/superhero stories r pretty much based on the bible where there is one man (or woman, completely different controversy that im not getting into :ahemsmile who becomes a savior of the people. so next time theres a burning and i :gasp: get my invite i will bring bibles with me so we can burn those as well, we dont want to leave anyone out now do we? alas i do not want to waste my money.

3. um i think, just maybe, censorship was out like 60 years ago? then again there were those nazis who went into hiding? nah couldnt be.

4. i think its funny that they are sooo scared to read the books and become corrupted by the "satanic messge." shows how much faith they have in themselves to have a strong mind and think for themselves! oh no! my own opinion?! omigod, i think ill hyperventilate.

ok, now one more little side note, in OotP, theres a part where umbridge puts up notices that forbid students from reading th Quibbler. so, what do they do? they read it! so burn books, say people shouldnt read it, and then everyone will read it! so thanks roll eyes (sarcastic)

Rogue Jedi
NAZI BASTARDS!!!!!!

phee630
watch that language......

unibrow
yeah those nazi illegitimate children!!!!!!!!! ( was that okay phee?)

america_boxers
I feel sorry for the kids of these a** holes. never to know the joy of harry potter. i couldn't deal

Aragorn#1
I could care less the books and the movies are dumb. But its a waist of money to buy books and then burn them. Happy Dance Happy Dance

The Omega
Unibrow> laughing

Tonks
ok guys listen to me!!!!!!!!,
Well as we all know that they have burned them mad sad Well we cant do anything about that!!!! it was in the past. and hopefully not the Future sad Well I just dont get it why do they treat the world so badley?? I just dont know. It took 876 in the fifth book.(or somewere around there) so make that book. then just add 736 to that and then add 435 for the 3rd book !! then add 341 for the second book 309 for the 1st book . Then just times it by how ever many books they burned and that adds up to alot of trees. so i think that they should try and save the trees and not putt waste into them. in the olden days they would never imagine burning the pages to a book they were to valuable. to burn so why dont they be like that. these books are going to be valuable some day and are valuable to day !!!!!!!!! smile i luv Harry Potter!!!!!!
-Tonks

The Omega

Deadalus
First, I am an unashamed Christian. God is my Lord, and Jesus is my personal Savior. While I like Harry Potter, and see nothing wrong with it, I must put the Bible first. And the Bible says nothing about Harry Potter being evil. People, nay, pastors have written books on the "Potter Question", and many are in favor of Rowling!

That said, let's take a look at this article.

"He says stories like Harry Potter that glorify wizardry and sorcery will lead people to accept and believe in Satan."
Satan is real. The bible says so.

"'They're learning what they see and what they read,' she says."
Oh no! Kids standing up for the truth instead of the easy way? Kids being loyal? Well, we can't have that!

"Kristi Eastman says many books teach that sorcery is okay."
Yes, they do. Harry Potter is not one of them.

"'The bible tells me not to judge, but to stand up for what's right.'"
Bull. The bible says to judge others, but not to pass Judgement. Dont condem to Hell, but you need to judge people.

"Some of the parishoners also burned music cd's like N'sync."
Hahahahaha

"They say the music is not glorifying God, so they don't need it."
Does playstion glorify God? No. Are the burning Playstations? No. Stick to what you say.

Stick up for what God wants, not what you want, Brother Tommy.

In Christ,
Brett

Deadalus
Just Hafta Add This.
IF we burn Potter, we MUST burn the Following:

Lord of the Rings
Cat in the Hat
500 Hats of Barthollomew Cubins
Phanton Tollbooth(personal favorite of mine)
Wizard of Id Comic Books
1 Fish 2 Fish Red fish Blue Fish
Etc...

america_boxers
i dont get it huh ...these guys be like prayhttp://www.killermovies.com/forums/images/moresmilies/pray.gif and no fun ever and then they http://www.killermovies.com/forums/images/moresmilies/blowup.gif hp books cause they are evil face devil please hp books are nothing like that its a story of good beating evil http://www.killermovies.com/forums/images/moresmilies/bangin.gif http://www.killermovies.com/forums/images/moresmilies/bash.gif http://www.killermovies.com/forums/images/moresmilies/chair.gif

( i hoped it worked right)

america_boxers
damn What the f**k? wacko messed huh doctor embarrasment

The Omega

IHeartDanR
Holy crap. That's so dumb. I'm big on God, and he doesnt care if we read books about wizards and stuff.

Deadalus
Omega, I dont think it's a universal thing. The Bible says "Dont practise witchcraft." it never says dont read a fiction book about some wizards. Some people shouldn't read it, thats true.

Oh, and can we add Macbeth to my previous list? It's another great one.

The Omega

snlovergirl
ok, everyone should read especially if they r ignorant then maybe they will actually learn something. also, people can believe in anything they want so long as it does not harm them or others so, someone can practice witchcraft if it so pleases them.

The Omega
You said it, girl.

Neon
Do you think they read them before they burned them????

america_boxers
no they just guess that the book is about the devil

Neon
laughing out loud Sh!t, that would be hilarious, man.

miss*dreamer
haha, thats ridiculous, it's absurd! it's just a fantasy-book big grin what the hell is there about the devil?! they are celebrating christmas, easter, they're eating easter eggs!

snlovergirl
u know what would be funny? if schools started to put harry potter on their reading lists. what would they do then? burn down the school?

Laviera_j
ha! that would be funny - no more school! school would be more popular if HP was on the reading list

Deadalus
I don't know how he can argue it, i see nothing biblically wrong with HP.

Also, I mean that young kids shouldn't read HP, you know, REALLY YOUNG kids. 10, 11+, thats fine.

snlovergirl
i dont think any kids under ten would be able to read a book like that anyways. the books have from 300-900 pages and there are some unusual words in there like voldemort

Danistar
I don't understand religious people who think that Harry Potter's books are an evil. That's a nonsence. What's so bad in them? There's nothing that could impel children to do bad things. Do they think that it's evil because of the magic? Then why did they latch only onto HP books?There are many books of fantasy and magic. Why don't they burn them?

I hate those people who burn books. It's not ethical. And that's ironic because people who do that should be ethical. And it's doesn't matter is it Hp book or other one. They can't burn it. It's so awful.

mad mad mad

Tonks
wow i never new that The Omega!!! You would expct them to keep the books and not burn them. have you heard the storie of Joan of Arc? Well yah they thought that she was using Witchcraft or something to help the ppl. She Cut her hair like a boy so that she could go into battle. and put mens clothes on. she brought her ppl to like Victory and they burned her. and after they did that a man in the crowd said "We just killed a Saint"! well i think that is what he said anyways. it is a very dumb reason to ruin trees and forests just so that they can ruin ppl lives.
I mean the poor would probally welcom the books into there lives to have something to read! yah and the church would be doing something great for ppl. well that is just my opoin.
-Tonks-=\

BabyT
I AGREE!!!...plus it's stupid...stupid...stupid...stupid!!

Blue_eyes2006
I think that book burners are terribly stupid! They aren't burning something that "glorifies satan", they're burning a classical piece of literature. I mean, what harm does the Harry Potter series do to kids? Nothing! There aren't any secret messages telling them to worship Satan and his work. And the way that JK writes it makes is seem that maybe there IS a wizardry world out there. If there were, then why are they hiding from us? I'll tell you a reason why. It's because everyone fears and hates what we can't understand. An example of those people as those book burners in that article. They don't understand that Harry Potter is only for entertainment for both children AND adults, just as it is to help expand everyone's imangination, and let them escape from their ordinairy lifestyles. So in my final words, all I have to say is to next time be open minded about something that you don't understand, and try to understand it.

*shakes head* Gosh... when will people learn

krassin
haha omg,i cant believe ppl pike dat still exict...burning books...
i personally dont beliave in a word the bible says,i thinks is more of it as a book,filled wih exadurated stories that have been passed from person to person so much,that it totaly changed into this bizzare myth
also,from my point of veiw,it looks like satan is working way harder than god for example,there are more bad thigns happening than good things,also,have u see the movies Final destination 1&2?
i mean he kills people day and night,car chrash here,fire there
but its only once in a while u get a "miracle"
and no,god doesnt love every1,becouse he wouldn't let the twin buildings in us to collapse
devil rock devil rock devil

snlovergirl
i dont really believe in the bible all that much either, it was written by a person and is no different than any other storybook. but every man or woman has their own free will and that is way planes crashed into the twin towers not because God "let" it happen.
"It is the will that makes the action good or bad"- Robert Herrick

krassin
then how is god helping people?

snlovergirl
i just believe theres always gonna be good and bad, the world is balanced that way. i dont personally know if there is a god, i am not a religious person. people's choices and free will are what make the world go round.

its_magic
they burnt the books because they beleive it is the devil working through jk and tryin to poses us thats what my aunty thinks and i told her to shuv her religon she thinks every thing that is good and fun is evil, bloody weirdo.

krassin
haha jk rowling possed

redpeter
What century are these people living in?
They are SO scared of anything outside their narrow tunnel visioned view of life. They make me wanna sick

krassin
thats religion for ya

its_magic
oh yeah very narrow minded people i feel sorry for my auntys kids cause they r not allowed to watch the movies or read the books

krassin
thats horrible

krassin
i would die without entertainment kie that

The Omega

krassin
yeah,lotta discriminatin goin on in dat bible,never read it tho

snlovergirl
im all for people believin in somethin, but the bible seems pretty negative to me. it instills more of fear, dont sin or your gonna go to hell!, or at least thats the way a lot of people interpret it and use it.

its_magic
im a relgious person but i am a mormon and all the mormons iknow have no trouble with the books but the christians are going overboard with there belives and need to be shown sum dam manners cause my aunty reckon that the christians are the most polite and correct people and by doing that they r insolting jk by burning them and they need to practice what they preach and grow up laughing out loud laughing out loud rolling on floor laughing

snlovergirl
every friggin year some nut comes on campus and tells all of the students thay r going to hell. its kida amusing actually hehe

its_magic
r u talking about me

snlovergirl
no, not unlees youve been on a college campus yelling the bible at people and i dont know about it.

krassin
hehe,ever got those guys that come to your door and try to convert you?
or the guys in airports?

airangel
bumping

Tassie
angel you should close this-- the Official Rules of KMC state:

BackFire
Well, I'll go ahead and say what needs to be said in order to get this thread closed.

We should go to their church and burn some bibles in front of them.

shaber
The link doesn't work

Tassie
guess I mis-interpreted the rules, then confused

frodo_dude
xqs me can someone tell me what churche burn the books? catholic or anglican?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.