why do they use their alias?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

unibrow
why does everyone use their alias? it doesnt even tell us morpheus or trinity's real name.....sounds like everyone is a robot...i just realized *smacks myself* if u unscramble Neo it turns into One....

gabimr2
they use their alias.. beacuse because.. stick out tongue

The Omega

GABRIEL05
Well in the sense of the movie Omizzo once again beat me to a post, but with regards to the movie from the viewers perspective, their names have to do with their purpose in the overall scheme of things.

gabimr2
no rong! wink

unibrow
i know im four years late why the hell would i smack myself if i wasnt?

*no cheeks were harmed in the making of this thread*

General Kaliero
Because it's fun to smack yourself? stick out tongue

SlayerChick1188
I think perhaps their "real" names were a symbol of their lives in the matrix, they created their other names themselves, so they decided to use them exclusively.

Sifer
They use their aliases due to the fact that the Matrix is a prison and they were born into bondage and given that name. Their aliases on the other hand are created by their own mind and it is personal to them.

Not only that but the names are all relevant to hacker terms, phrases etc. Which is in fact, what they do. They were no doubt hackers in the Matrix and they now hack into the Matrix.

Then we have the reason behind their name, it's purpose. They all have a purpose. eg. Neo = Revival of something old, in a new form (something like that) or New (Neo/New Tokyo). Neo is also an anagram for One which we all should know. But could this possibly be a phrase?

New One - hrmmmm. Interesting wink

So, they use their hacker aliases because of the above reasons and probably more.

GABRIEL05
Yeah kinda like 5%ers

nickjs21
well, it's been wrapped up, but these are my two cents:

what sifer said. kinda like cassius clay changing his name to muhammed ali.

Ikobe
It's a kind of reversal of the Prisoner thing (you know, that TV show filmed at Porthmeirion) - instead of 'not being a number'... they are a number, well, an alias. Actually, they do kind-of have numbers... Neo's is something like TA042SS62... see the yellow room scene in the original Matrix when Thomas is bugged.

~AI

MCElite
confused confused confused confused - Wow and i just thought they liked coming up with kewl names!!!!!

Ikobe
Well... that too.

MC = FB?

Are the RD.com forums up again?

~AI

Verity
They r computer hacker aliases....Now that they r free to go bk and forth between the Matrix and the real world, they can detach from what was their slave name, a symbol of bondage, a prison....Who wants that?....no

Ushgarak
I guess one question is why the ones who have never been to the Matrix (like the Operators) ALSO use hacker-style aliases... but I guess ti has just become part of the culture of the time.

Verity
Probably so!.....otherwise they'd be extremely uncool right? cool wink

unibrow
processing.....mmmkay i guess it makes sense but i still think it makes them sound like theyre robots or something....

Verity
Okay!!.....blink I always thought the actual robots had numbers for names...like B166ER.... confused

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.