You do not truly know someone until you fight them.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

bigbadbike2
Yes I know it is from the Matrix Reloaded, but that isn't why I posted it. It's just so true. Think about it. If you are dating someone for months you can never tell who they really are until you have your first fight. For example, I started dating this girl when I was younger. She was gorgeous and fun. After we had been around each other as just friends for about a year, I finally asked her out. Everyhing went fine for a while but we found some things we disagreed about. One thing led to another and eventually started fighting. I get angry, she gets angry I attempt to stay calm(notice the word attempt) and she suddenly stops speaking and just starts sulking. Now she had seen me angry before, but I had never seen her upset. As the relationship progressed farther she began to pout and sulk over the smallest things. Were we would eat or if I was going out with my friends. Before we started dating I didn't know how immature and we spent nearly a year as friends (without fighting) after we started fighting I realized who she really was. Do you think this is true, or is it just in my experiences?

happy kine
i hear that. as friends you don't really get to know someone... but when you date chances are you get a bit closer and thats when you begin to find out who they are.

"as friends, i had no idea she had a habit of poisoning her lovers. but as a lover well...." * cough cough * "ohhhh my arms feel...." *falls*

Fitch
hmmm,to fight(really) a chick....I'm so sure I could do that.....but in a funny way(get my point wink ),hell yeah !

Dexx
not phisical fighting fitch......you don't expect bbb2 punched her in the face, do you ?stick out tongue

Baylin
Yeah I had a similar problem when I fell out with my wife. We were still engaged at the time and we fell out big time the only problem was she didn't tell me! I figured it out after half a day of her not speaking to me. After 2 days she started speaking again told me what I had or rather hadn't done and we were friends again. We talked about it and were mature enough to deal with and 2 years on we're married and expecting a baby anytime now! big grin

Captain REX
Cool, BBB2. I like reading the well thoughtout threads. This one is a great topic. smile

Yeah, I kinda know how that works. I've known one of my best friends since 1st grade. I'm beginning to forget how we became such best friends because we are VERY different. He's active, I'm a bum. He likes being outside, I like being inside. He's blonde and somewhat tan, I'm a brunette and really tan. Still, we've argued and all that sh**, and that kind of effects things. I think one reason why we are good friends is because we joke about our past arguments, mostly because I was the hot head...

Dexx
you should ask fitch about our 5 second fights during classes...and then everything gets back to normal stick out tongue

bigbadbike2
Just for the record, I never punched anyone.

Dexx
hmm...*thinks*
me neither..that's odd.

bigbadbike2
You think its odd that we have never punched our girlfriends. What kind of sick people do you hang around? stick out tongue

Dexx
extremely sick stick out tongue, but..i wasn't talking about girlfriends (i never had one yet)..i'm talking never punched ANYONE.

bigbadbike2
Oh. That's different. evil face

Dexx
please, please...i'm a pacifist stick out tongue

Lara
I see your point bbb2. I started dating a friend on monday, we've known each other for approximately 4 years. the trouble is I dont feel I know him at all now. and we both have pet hates for each others general habits: I smoke and he drinks.

Dexx
a glass of whine is good for the blood flow. beer must be good for something also.stick out tongue But smoking is REALLy bad

happy kine
you should quit smoking (if its cigarettes) and take up drinking.

Dexx
well what do yo want her taking cigars? but yes..drinking's good stick out tongue

Lara
I am trying to quit at the moment! if I do quit I wont be taking up drinking instead! my farther is an alchie!
when I say my bf drinks I mean black label vodka! and lots of it!

happy kine
no not at all... you either know or you don't. and yes drinking is good.... it helps when you fight someone, but only if you really want to know them.

Lara
confused
I prefer to stay tea-total thanks! you always remember what happens that way! last time I had a few to drink which was quite a while ago, I ended up in a stick situation which happened to be the talk of the school for one whole term afterwards!

bigbadbike2
That's it Kine, have her give up one bad habit for another. roll eyes (sarcastic) big grin

bigbadbike2
Good Choice. Do not drink if alcoholism runs in the family. It's just not worth it.

Lara
we havent had a fight yet but I'm getting quite stressed about things in general at the moment, and he's snowed under with work so I'm just waiting for it really. I reakon it'll be rather explosive, considering that we are both laid-back ppl.

Dexx
but i gotta tell you...drinking isn't reallyt that bad if you don't exagerate. i myself NEVER got drunk or got close to.
I'm not saying you should get on drinking...but. Smoking really ends up pretty messed up.

bigbadbike2
I hope it's not to explosive.

Lara
ok tell me if this is ok for a first round at the pub?

10 smirnof ice black
4 vodka and coke (tripples)
2 cocktail pints.

bbb2: I hope your right! the last fight I had was with my sister and I ended up hitting her, and kinda bruised half her face! some thing I'm really not proud of as violence also runs in the family on my fathers side!

Dexx
um..nope..that's pretty much not ok. That's too much strong stuff.

Lara
and he wasnt even tippsy after that little lot! I'm glad I wasnt with him at the time!

bigbadbike2
Wow. Thats a lot in my book. He may be able to handle it, but that is way to much for me or anyone I know. I may be able to hold it but that is just the first round.

finti
You do not truly know someone until you fight them.

thats why it is wise to live together sometime before you agree to do it on a permanent basis. Me and Monika rented an appartment and lived together for 3 years before we deceided to by a house

happy kine
i'm a heavy drinker... and that is a lot... that is raging alcoholic amounts if there is very little drunkeness. that should get anyone drunk... but the ice drinks are kinda girly.

happy kine
AMEN! there is no other way to go... i lived with a girl... once... and thank god i did.

finti
I am a Norwegian so the drinking speaks for itself

mechmoggy
When Mrs.MM stopped speaking to me for a couple of days, I went to the doctor cus I thought I had gone deaf.

Copyright - Eric Morcome 1962

finti
and then you just were drunk...................for the same amount of days

mechmoggy
Aaaah, I love long drunken weekends. big grin

Mrs.MM sent me out about 11am the other Saturday to fetch her contact lenses. I came home in the early hours of the morning blind drunk and I'd left the lenses in my mates car! Oh she loved me for that.

happy kine
hehe been there. i love drunken weekends.... i'd love drunken weekdays if i had the time and stamina

mechmoggy
Work is the curse of the drinking classes.

Lara
now I'm confused!

Fire
I disagree with this thread

yerssot
*pokes lara* wink

I generally refuse any form of physical violance towards a person

unless at that point I'm extremely angry

Capt_Fantastic
In my experience it isn't good to live with anyone you date. I would imagine, ideally, that you'd want to date someone for a while, live together on a short term basis at one or the others place and then decide to live together. My last boyfriend and I kinda jumped into living together and it was the worst idea possible. We dated for a year, lived together for six months and now can't see each other without spitting fire...it was one of those passionate rlationships that thrived off of arguing and sex and a mutual disrespect and mistrust of one another. Now, I'm more cautious entering relationships. My current boyfriend and I get along wonderfully. Never argue, discuss things when we don't agree and reach a healthy and mutual agreement. We really seem to be perfect for each other.

Evy_O
Actually, IMO, it's not about "knowing someone better" but "getting to know their 'bad side' as well". Surely you can't judge a person only by the way he reacts when fighting!
It's only that this is the last thing we learn about others (unless you start fighting from the first day you meet stick out tongue which, in that case, you still don't know the other 'cause you've only just fighted with him -he might turn out to be a really nice person after all).
All in all, to say you really know someone, you should have seen how they react to all kinds of situations -not only when you fight.

BackFire349
its not true, i know people extremely well that ive never faught.

cermiestar
yes...i agree

Dagons Blade
I agree 100%-you DON'T know the person until you fight them.
About 1990 or so I tried as hard as I could to get a date with this girl, as I just broke up with someone else, and my loneliness finally paid off, and led me to 3 years of the nastiest fights ever.

And she always talked about me behind my back to her little ***** friends during her coffee clotches at the bowling alley-and then she started listening to them instead of making her own decisions, and soon everything about me wasn't good enough.

Our first fight led to several over the 3 years, in which she would never stop during an argument-she would go on and on and on until I was ready to bust from the aggravation, and she used every chance to embarrass me or put me down in front of her friends.

And when I didn't buy her something it was an excuse to skin me and hang me to dry..she was taking her home life out onme because the mother and father always fought over money.

And she also used to piss all over me because I refused to go to Atlantic city and spend 200-300 bucks on slot machinies.

She wanted material wealth, and I was the enemy because I couldn't give it to her. And thenshe would start on me and never shut up until I popped, and then I was the enemy when I did.

I don't know why I held on for 3 years, maybe I thought there was hope. My blood pressure was very high because of the fighting, and after a month of not being around her it actually went back to normal. I could have been doing other things in that 3 year period but as usual, held on in quite desparation thill the day I could no longer. Stupid me.

Fire
I think the thread ment fight as in physical violence

btw that sucked mate

I'd have ended it way before that

The Omega

Fire
yea okie

BackFire349
if you have to physically brawl with someone to know them, then about 95 percent of couples dont 'know' eachother. thats nonsense if you ask me.

finti
yeah, but a good argument do show different aspects of people

badkittykitty
argument yes,i think my man already knows he can kick my i dont need a demonstration

Rogue Jedi
someone can call me every name in the book and i will laugh and walk away.....when they put their hands on me, thats a different story...

badkittykitty
will you put the vulcan neck pinch on 'em?

Fire
yea but there is a difference between a discussion and an arguement imo

and discussion are healthy cause they show mutual respect where arguements do not (but that's my opinion) I have friends with who I have had very good discussions but never had any arguements cause we have a lot of mutual respect

BackFire349
argument and discussion is healthy, but to physically fight them in order to better know someone is ridiculous.

Fire
I still think an arugment with name calling and the such ain't healthy for a relationship

BackFire349
thats not what im talking about, im talking about a good, calm, rational argument or discussion.

Fire
for me a discussion is calm and rational and an argument is the opposit smile

BackFire349
not me, name calling is not what i consider an argument.

Fire
hehe smile

finti
an argument is a feisty discussion

BackFire349
yes.

yerssot
I dislike arguements sad

finti
I love them

BackFire349
i enjoy them as long as they arent too hostile. and i get in alot of them working at blockbuster, mostly about peoples late fees.

Fire
well a heated discussion can indeed be nice smile

yerssot
depends who you're talking too... oh... got your point FM wink

Capt_Fantastic
If this thread is strictly about physically fighting someone, then my story is irrelevent. I've only fought with my brother, who used to hold me down and breathe oreo in my face. Blah!....I hate oreos...especially the smell....PUKE!

finti
then start working out and get even

Capt_Fantastic
lol...working out isn't the point anymore. when this was going on he was 14 or 15 and i was 8....these days it's a totally different case.

Fire
that took a while yers stick out tongue

yerssot
I wasn't sure you would type that with children around here ...

Gundark
Just when I think there couldn't be a more ridiculous thread....

Fire
they make this one...
yea it's true

but check out OT forum stick out tongue

yerssot
nooo! don't ! some people have already fainted!

Fire
yea ppl like yerss stick out tongue

yerssot
fainting isn't programmed into me

KidRock
yeah you really dont know someone till you fight him. there was this little punk that thought he was a though guy and he was about a foot smaller then me. i decided to put this boy in his place. little did i know he has been taking karate since he was 5 ( now 14 ) well to make a long story short....i swung i missed and he beat the shit out of me lol

oh yeah JK lol i thought that would have been pretty funny to see though.

Fire
auch, well that's why I don't fight with ppl, atleast not until I have actualy seen them fight

Lara
I dont remember the last time I had a really good argument with some one, come to think of it, I could do with having a heated debate.

yerssot
*takes a few steps back*

Lara
hey, that doesnt mean right now! I happy, happy, happy, at the moment!

yerssot
so am I lara happy

well, not entirely

Lara
y?

yerssot
the letter!
*runs to corner and starts crying*

Lara
oh dear! yerss thats not your fault! its the damned mail service.

yerssot
I feel I let you down sad

Lara
*violently shakes head* No.

yerssot
trying to take your head off lara? wink

either way, I need to start writing immediatly!

Lara
yes

yerssot
I'll be doing that in an hour, after moving
I pwomise! and already hoping to finish it tomorrow so you can have it ...well... in three weeks if they are fast

Lara
3 weeks! it only takes 4 days for mine to get to you!

yerssot
for me it feels like years wink

Lara
blink blink

yerssot
ooh, double blink!
you that surprised?

Fire
oh no it's gonna start again stick out tongue

yerssot
whot?

Fire
nothing nothing nothing
shifty

yerssot
explain it

Lara
idd, please enlighten us, Fire!

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.