Opossoms Galore

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Captain REX
Monday night my mom stepped outside and heard a thump as something hopped over the fence. She investigated and assumed that it was only our dumb cat Pumpkin chasing a mouse. But then a small fuzzy thing caught her eye: a baby opossom, small enough to hold in your hand. She picked it up and looked in the yellow books for someone who could take care of the opossom, and we took the baby there. She said it was too young to be on it's own, so the 'opossom lady' said she would take care of it until it was old enough to be released to the wild.

Wednesday night we had been talking about the miniature fuzzy ball. Opossoms have no maternal instinct and do not take care of their young very well. The babies hang to the mother's back, but if they fall off, she basically says "Screw you, I'm outta here," in opossom language. Then we found another one.

Tonight as we were saying goodnight to a friend, we spotted one crawling around under our wooden outdoor table. It was all wet and it's very hungry, so we've assumed that the mother has been killed somewhere near our yard. That or she's a very bad mother.

Don't think it's happened to anyone, but that's the question I pose. Has it?

Kes
Well aside from the fact that I had to go check the dictonary to know what an opossum is...I can say no. Nothing like that has ever happen to me. Most likelly because opossums are exclusive to North America smile lol Its basiclly just cats, dogs, a few things that crawl and bats around here.

ObieTrice 26
im scared of mice and opposums,and other tiny creatures that dont have furry tails

ChinaNiki
cats and dogs here
a couple baby birds but they didn't survive

Fitch
never happened to me.I wonder why...smile

happy kine
there all over the place here in florida... usually you see them smooshed on the side of the road. its really gross because they really explode out of that shell.

Celsius
They are quite common in Australia. Unless he is talking about a raccoon.

Kes
Well the dictonary said they're from North America.

ChinaNiki
raccoons have ringed tails and a black mask around their eyes so they look like little bandits

opossums have white faces with gray fur and a hairless tail that allows them to hane from trees

Baylin
Urg, erm WTF?

We dont have oppossums in England but we do have Hegdehogs and squirrels which sometimes need fostering.

ChinaNiki
problems posting images

Celsius
]

Maybe it a sertain kind of opossum confused. Over here in Australia we just call em Possums.

Tex
Oh man yes, theres tons of opossums on my street. They only come out a night. Huge bastards with sharp teeth. Very scary. They crawl out of the storm drains and onto the trees.eek!

Look Rex, here's a good mommastick out tongue

Celsius
KILL IT!!!! laughing out loud

Kes
lol cool!

happy kine
we have giant alligator and crocidiles here in the swamp land of florida... they eat possums and small children. my brother and i once caught a baby crock... momma soon came by and we ended up cutting the line... last thing i needed was Jaws the alligatoring

Dexx
dunno...never met one. But i've come to meet another wildlife member while spending my summer here in canada. Bloody bastards..met one the other night..almost gave me a heart attack.

happy kine
we don't get skunks here... we get rednecks, which can smell just as bad.

Dexx
laughing out loud....i just love mthey way these skuns walk every night WHEREVER they like..(ppl's backyards, playgrounds..etc) and noone does anything (but running, ofcourse)

bigbadbike2
I have heard that Skunks make great pets if you have the smell removed. Even better than cats.

Dexx
umm...i'l stick with the cats.

Kes
I agree Dexx. I stick with cats also. Actually I dont think we have Skunks blink

Tex
I've already had enough of those two skunks, Finti & Corranstick out tongue

Captain REX
laughing out loud

Cool picture, Tex. Kinda shows how the babies hang on for dear life...

Tex
Finti is Norways official opossum man stick out tongue

reptally
Although I have never kept an Opossom as a pet I understand that they make as good a pet as a cat or dog. I have many that visit my cat's food dish outside as well as the trash cans, frankly they make less of a mess than some of the neighborhood dogs, but they are not viscious or in any way threatening if left unmolested. wink

Phoenix
awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!!! theyre so cute!!!

((i used to have a cuddly toy one when i was little))

cermiestar
what's an opossum??????

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.