Midichlorians

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Darth Pants
OK, my opinion on them: They're a mistake, a device useful only momentarily to shock the Jedi as they found out how strong Anakin is. Otherwise, they detract from the sense of power of the Jedi, instead of having a direct connection to the Force, they need a conduit, a 'translator' if you will, in order to understand the Force. I think they will leave them unmentioned for the remaining films, as they are no longer useful from a plot point of view.

Ushgarak
Hmmm... you're far less ranty than yor predecessors... I'm not sure how to deal with reasonable people...

I still think the connection between MCs and the Will of the Force could form an important plot point, maybe even explaining the ghost trick and who it was that was forbidding Obi-Wan to interfere.

Jedi DO have as direct connection to the Force... but they have no menas of making use of it without the MCs. Translation may not be an exact metaphor... stick with the symbiosis schtick. However, as LIFE could not exist without the MCs, that's not really a relevant point.

Darth Pants
I've not got any midichlorians, and my life doesn't exist! laughing out loud I can't really argue against them any more than I already have done, it's up to episodes 2 and 3 to either really mess up the idea of Force connection for me, or convince me, as you have already have been, that midichlorians aren't such a bad idea. I guess we'll just have to trust GL and realise that he can do what he likes with Star Wars. Has anyone noticed that considering how unnaturally strong vader is with the Force, he couldn't throw that debris on Bespin with a quarter the force Darth Maul threw that droid torso at the door controls. Maybe it was because he didn't want to kill Luke, and plus he was tearing them off the wall too, not just picking them up.

Ushgarak
Yeah, he was showing off. Actually, though, they did look MUCH heavier.

Symbiosis was GLs buzzword for Ep.I, of course, and life being impossible without the MCs was one of those things...

But I've never understood some of the points of view I;ve heard on these before; wild theories about creating Jedi by injecting MCs into people, and so on. And I never thought that they in any way ruined or de-mystified the Force. It is still everything that it ever was.

Darth Pants
Don't like the injection idea myself. I'd have thought, like with a lot of transplant type stuff, the body of the recipient would reject the midichlorians, or vice versa. I'd expect the link formed between midichlorian and person to be more personal than even the link between cells in a being, after all, midichlorians are connected WITHIN cells, unlike any other kind of symbiosis. Biology's not my kind of thing, I'm more of a physics/chemistry kind of guy anyway.

Ushgarak
Well, exactly.. The MCs are a natural life form and the presence in each body will adjust to suit that which is appropriate, no matter how much you alter it. And the alteration would do nothing to your base force talent anyway.

But can you get some people to understand that? No...

This isn't quite the horrendous argument I was worried about, actually...

Darth Pants
Well, people get mad, people swear and launch personal attacks, messages are deleted and nothing gets discussed. I quite fancy calming some ranting members down with reasoned arguments and logic.

Ushgarak
This place is very good. The only touchy subject is the EU, and even that is pretty friendly now.

Do you really think GL introduced MCs just as a throwaway thing?

Darth Pants
I don't think he'll explore the idea any further, but he may come back to the phenomenon of Anakin's count being so high, e.g. in a Yoda/Mace discussion, but I can't see the Jedi having the time to ponder it really. Things are probably going to go haywire soon after the start of Episode 2, and by the time it settles down, there'll be two Jedi left, at opposite ends of the galaxy to eachother. From what I've seen of the EU references on this board, it seems like people are going to flip if one wrong word is said.

Ushgarak
They won't 'flip'as such unless they are mis-quoted...

Well, I guess we'll see on the MCs...

Sparky12
in episode I, qui-gon states something to the effect that "life is not possible without them". which can be extrapolated to mean that life was created of/by the metachlorines. so when anakin is thought to be "conceived" by them, he poses as a distinct connection between man, and its creator, such as seen with the bible, and many other theologies. so this would be why a point was made to mention that anakin's metachlorine count is higher than even yoda. do to this distinctly significant connection between anakin and the met's, an exceptionally unique situation arises, as will most likely be depicted in the coming years.

Ushgarak
Don't unbalance it! Life wasn't created BY the MCs, it's a SYMBIOSIS, remember?

Sparky12
yeah, good point Ushgarak.

Ushgarak
Cheers. Always important to remember these themes...

dj velocity
I heard someone say the idea of Ani being conceived by the Midis (echoing the virgin birth of Christ) was blasphemous. Personally, I don't think so, GL has used many cultures, religions etc in SW and I think the Christ/Anakin analogy would be an excellent story.

I am interested in finding other people's opinions on this subject. Is it possible that GL could hit a raw nerve with that one.

Ushgarak
The idea that it is blasphemous is stupid. Virgin births figutre in all sorts of mythology- Greek. Roman, Egyptian- long before the Christians had it. And mythological inspirations ARE Star Wars.

Darth Pants
Well, we didn't burn him at the stake for Jar Jar, so he'll easily get away with a bit of religious jiggery-pokery. It's no more of a religious issue than the Force itself, it's just that in this case, the Force seemed to intervene and take matters into its own hands. I'd like to see some debating on why the Force 'did' such a thing in the next film.

Ushgarak
I reckon the MCs did it, as part of a plan to counter the return of the Sith.

Sparky12
i'm not sure about the syntax, but what exactly did QGJ refer to himself as having located? a vergence? depending on what precisely he called what he found in anakin, i'm sure more could be learned. GL is meticulous in what is said, and how so, in his films. if the word is a derivative of verge, then anakin is some sort of starting point, denotatively anyways

Dim
Hmph!..it's a made up word! I couldn't find it to see what the defination is...Damn you GL!!

Ushgarak
I reckon it's a decision making point- and in this case, the decision is to don with a person, You see? The vergence will maske a big decision about the future- possibly on behalf of the Force.

So the Propehcy might say that the next Person-based vergence will bring Balance to the Force... the recongition point being that he has an obscene MC level.

The MCs may create vergences...

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.