Most Influential Musician

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

wicker_man
Ok this is a poll on who you believe to be the most influential artist(s) of recent years, i have decided to include a poll on some artists featured to get the ball rolling, however if you believe there is someone else who has had more influence over the music industry please feel free to add them onto the thread.

- My choices were just the first names that came into my head so please excuse any spelling mistake.

http://www.killermovies.com/forums/images/moresmilies/band.gif

h0ck3yh0rr0r
tupac....well this thread is done lol

wicker_man
Yep its that simple lol

h0ck3yh0rr0r
yes...yes it is
lol

GABRIEL05
Jimi man gotta go with Jimi. But if your goin back that far, why not Led Zepplin or the Beattles. I'm not a huge fan of either, but they seem to be more influential than most of the pop people out there, even to today. Man, Stevie Wonder, and what the hell Miles Davis. Oh and African Bambaata for the DJ's

wicker_man
Well i am glad to see some new contenders for most influential being thrown in please keep them coming more the better.

h0ck3yh0rr0r
we'll i dont know y u put eminem in the poll but eminem was infulenced by tupac, biggy, run dmc and other great rappers....Run Dmc shoudl have been in there...

ToMacco
Jimmy Hendrix doesn't really belong in "recent" influential music.

Plus, it's really hard to say who is influential when they are so new. Who knows who will make the largest impact on the future. I would probably say 2Pac, or MM. It's hard to argue with Kurt Cobain, also.

ToMacco
But out of those, I voted Hendrix. Because. . . well. . . shit. . . it's Jimi Hendrix!!!

Oh, and by the way. . . Britney Spears?????? What the. . . ???

mechmoggy
She influenced me to: -

ragesRemorse
yeah even though tupac is the in direct reason there so much of that crap called rap, Elvis or the beatles have him beat by having a larger impact on music. Even though out of the catergory hendrix is by far the most talented shit he did with a guitar back in his time was un heard of

JediOasis
Obviously its The Beatles but for some reason they are not in the poll. Granted The Beatles were influenced by the likes of Elvis and Chuck Berry but you ask anyone in music today and they'll tell you The Beatles influenced them in some way.

h0ck3yh0rr0r
Mozart influenced everyone in some way and even other great composers

GABRIEL05
Ya just had to take it back there. :P Well then what about Bach, Haydn. And the Italians taught 'em all

ragesRemorse
yeah but the renisance helped all of that, no composer is better than bethoveen though

ragesRemorse
old dirty cat joe with his unconventional blues rythm inspired chuck berry and elvis stole so much off of chuck

GABRIEL05
Yes, yes indeed, but influential is what we were talking about.

h0ck3yh0rr0r
o yea now prehistoric time some guy that started hitting on some rocks and he was the most influential musician end of this thread.

GABRIEL05
Hey if the shoe fits...ooga booga and a bang bang bang. But seriously though imagine when music was first invented cats was probably like "what the @#$% is this?!" It's a wierd question. Like when in time did organisms start having sex?

ragesRemorse
ahh but music was not invented it was discovered lol

ragesRemorse
still i have to say the most influential musical artist has to be Insane slwn possy they obviously inspired all the greats such as elvis, in an interview recently rediscovered with elvis elvis says, " oh those damn dirty faygo slinging clowns from hell are the reason i wrote heartbreak hotel and decided to get into the music industry, i love those silly bastards" the list goes on they inspired KISS, ROLLING STONES, LED ZEPPELIN HENDIRIX, and so on and so on, so there you go if youve ever wandered whos responsible for the sole purpose of all the music we have today its because of the horribly un talented artists known as Insane Clown Possie

Korri
Deffinatley Kurt smile

Baylin
A couple of people that everyone always forget

LES PAUL AND LEAO FENDER !!!!

Thanks to these pioneers the solid body electric guitar came about. imo I think it's one of the reasons the modern music styles are how they are.

ragesRemorse
yeah obviously but i still say its all because of Insane Clown Possie i mean if it werent for them jim morrison never would have found his way out of the desert or atleast till the acid wore off

GABRIEL05
Yeah Man! I heard Miles Davis say his sole purpose for playing was to recreate the excitement he felt when he first got sprayed with faygo at a Lotus Family show.

I had a friend who was into them in highschool. We used to go to the local AMPM buy faygo and spray people. I never understood why though.... here have a banana Happy Dance

diegocala
Stevie Ray Vaughn
Eric Clapton
Kirk Cobain

ragesRemorse
yeah thats about all you can say in that situation "HAVE A BANANA" lol smile

Korri
its actually Kurt

ragesRemorse
you ever hear william shatner sing? aww man he deffaintly has to be responsible for some musical inspiration to other bands

Korri
smile

diegocala
Well exsqueeze me Korri!
How about BB King, Robert Johnson, John Lee Hooker, Blind Lemon Jefferson?

GABRIEL05
Right on Libations!

el_barto
eminem kiks all these guyses asses expecally britney speirs (i think she may be a ****) between u and me

el_barto
that is my opinion i dont whant to make pple mad

el_barto
becouse i dont like makin pple angry

el_barto
they almost all are good musisions

el_barto
cya

silentfaf
no way in hell is emin em better then kurt cobain kurt the reason i play music today his music is much more indepth and it get to u inside unlike sayin the f word every secound KURT COBAIN all the way

finti
this most be one of the worst polls ever

badkittykitty
hey where's george clinton,atomic dog is only sampled like all the time. confused

GABRIEL05
true, true. But who influenced GC you say? Sun Ra my fine furry friend...Sun Ra

Kaleanae
recent times? messed

Arachnoidfreak
The first caveman with a rock and a stick was the most influential. ever.

ragesRemorse
if you are talking about individual musicians then Elvis has to be the most influencial, followed maybe by chuck barry, buddy holly, and jimi

this is of course modernized music. The most influencial muscians of all time go back to mozart, and umm behtoveen dammit i know that is spelt wrong but you know who i mean, the man who wrote some of the most beautifull music

Black Onyx
no expression JIMI not jimmy

ragesRemorse
you say tomato i say ketchup.

Deathblow
most influential artist of recent years would be Reznor without a doubt.

scabby mcgee
Eventhough I think specific genres are often times are idiotic (I mean there is no similarity between most grunge bands in their sound) influence needs to go between dates and styles of music.

For example modern bubble gum pop would be most influenced by Madonna.

Whereas jam bands like Phish or Dave Matthews Band would be more influenced by the likes of the Greatful Dead.

Most country eventhough it sounds very little like these guys is usually influenced by Willie Nelson and Johnny Cash.

Late 60's Early 70's Rock like Led Zeppelin, the Rolling Stones and Pink Floyd is heavily influenced by a great number of early 20th century blues musicians like Robert Johnson or Leadbelly.

Almost every genre of music has an ear for the Beatles or early Michael Jackson, but does that necessarily make them influential?

But seriously take a genre and really figure out who the quintessential artist(s) are for that specific genre.

GABRIEL05
Well to answer the above, in Jazz:

Louis Armstrong, Charlie Parker, John Coltrane

Alpha Centauri
Most influencial musician is Mike Patton of Faith No More and many other bands.

If it weren't for him then people like Brandon Boyd of Incubus, Serj Tankien of System Of A Down and countless other MAJOR musicians wouldn't be around or at least as good. Serj Tankien based his entire singing style on ONE Faith No More song. As did Brandon Boyd with Mr.Bungle (another Patton band).

The bands that alot of you name as influencial now, were influenced by Faith No More. You get bands like Metallica who spawn loads and loads of bland and lame rip-offs. But Faith No More and Patton specifically influence peoples unique styles.

The chain is basically:

Bands influenced by bigger bands that are influenced by bigger bands that are influenced by Faith No More/Patton.

Of course there's also Hendrix, Jimmy Page and Led Zeppelin, Robert Smith and The Cure.

But I definately think Patton is one of if not the most influencial.

-AC

moonwalker741
i toted jimmy hendrix, but i also thought tupac was cool too, o well

musicworshiper
i voted for kurt, he definatly shaped modern rock
next would have to be jimi,
and you should have put janis joplin in yer poll too, along with jim morrison... rock

furryman
Jimi off that list

Darth Revan
Baroque was influenced by Bach
Classical was influenced by Beethoven (even though I think his music is overrated) and Mozart
Blues was influenced by suffering
Rock was influenced by blues greats... Robert Johnson, Lightnin' Hopkins, any of the several "Mississippi Johns", and Leadbelly. So coming right down to it... I'd say the old blues guys are the most influential and important musicians in modern music. Rock, gospel, soul, R&B, jazz, and swing all came from blues.

Btw, what's Marilyn Manson doing up there? I like his music, but I wouldn't say he's influential... confused

Spicy_Mchaggis
i dont know the most influential musician, but i do know that the most influential band is metallica.

SeptemberRain
Jimi Hendrix. But without Bob Dylan Jimi might not have been as good as he was. He was really influenced by Dylan's music.

Darth Revan
Hell no... That's ridiculous. Korn was more influential than Metallica, for Christ sake. Metallica are overrated.

scabby mcgee
I'll just throw this one out there, The Velvet Underground. They did bring about a change of music from being more about solos and what not to going back to the basics and just making a basic song with lyrics and working up from there.

Don't think they're the MOST influential but I think they far out weigh a lot of the musicians you all have listed.

speiderman
James Brown. His workings can be found in many different types of music.

Victor Von Doom
The first caveman to bang on something.

We can all go far back incrementally, however it depends what criteria we are using.

Influenced the most people, probably The Beatles.

alic88
hey ppl, michael jackson shud certainly b in the list. no matter wht he is facing in his private life, that guy is a musical genius. and many artists of these dayz have been inspired by his entertainin capibilites and dancing. he certainly shud b there

Victor Von Doom
Erm, Tim Westwood and Fatboy Slim?

ElectricBugaloo
so you don't have Black Francis/Frank Black/Francis Black, or Kim Deal or Zach de La Rocha or Tom Morello or Billy Corgan or any of the original emo artists? yeah, this thread is pretty stupid for 'recent' artists.

loserib
ozzy has had prolly more influince over the years then then the whole list he helped shape and create a whole genra if you ask any metal band out today they will tell you ozzy and black sabbath are the godfathers of heavymetal

Fearnix
mine is black sabbath jimmy page or chris rea

SpiderGurl
If you have Britney Spears in the poll, you might as well have put Madonna. Madonna is Britney's idol.

ElectricBugaloo
if it's most influential EVER, then it is Elvis, hands down. He inspired every rocker in the 60s to go out there and make a band.

Second is the beatles, who inspired and influenced just about...everyone. including Ozzy. Ozzy wanted to be a Beatle, but he realized he 1) didn't have the voice 2) couldn't write those type of songs. So instead we got Black Sabbath. Which is better than another British Invasion Beatles-wannabe band.

scabby mcgee
But that's where this discussion becomes anooying. Because how can Elvis be the most influential when his act is a rip off of guys like James Brown or Chuck Berry.

ElectricBugaloo
because while they influenced Elvis, Elvis influenced a huge group of people; basically every rocker in the 60s.

If we are getting into the second degree of influence (Well, Chuck Berry's grandpa taught him to play guitar, so...) then it would be Robert Johnson for sure. Or back to the african tribesman of yore. But I'd like to stay on the first degree of influence (direct influence) instead of the more abstract, Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon style influence game. Because then it will inevitably go back to Beethoven or Mozart or the military drummers in ancient greece or...etc.

So using my method, it's clearly Elvis, then the Beatles

el_barto
What dumb-ass posted that? whistle

scabby mcgee
Electric Bugaloo that's my point though. I was saying that's the reason this topic is so annoying, because there is never a real answer.

As far as Elvis goes though, I wouldn't put anyone is the most influential artist ever unless they were a unique artist and were doing something different from everyone else. I don't think Elvis was that unique, he was just the first white guy. But that's an opinion based assessment.

Everyone has their influences, but truly influential musicians take their influences and make something original.

ElectricBugaloo
Yeah, Elvis didn't do anything terribly original, but that doesn't change the fact that what he did was influential; it's not so much about who does it first or best, but who was more widespread (ie, Krokus and AC/DC)

Chuck Berry may have influenced Elvis and a handful of artists, but Elvis, as I have said repeatedly, influenced an entire generation.

GABRIEL05
Has anyone ever heard the term history repeats itself? Well m'lads the reason I bring this up is because this isn't the first time this argument has occured in this thread (let alone this forum). It's funny: because we keep saying the same shit over and over because we don't know it has been said like 40 times before. However no one want's to browse through 4 pages of the same old tired ass talk so...repeat on...

ElectricBugaloo
wait, wait--you mean there isn't an infinite amount of htings to talk about in music, and there are prevailing arguments in some of the topics that have been brought up multiple times???

Next thing I know, you'll be telling me that TV goes in cycles too.

GABRIEL05
No. What I really meant was that it's funny that the same old discussions within the same old topics keep coming up. What really gets me is that no one ever gets tired of it.

ElectricBugaloo
that's because it's usually new people every time that i have to persuade to my point of viwe

smittenkitten
This is, by far, the dumbest poll I've ever seen.

A) Britney Spears is not a musician.

B) Where the hell are, for starters, Robert Plant, Jimmy Page, Trent Reznor, Janis Joplin, etc. etc.? This list blows. Big time.

-Smitten Kitten-

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.