Women in LOTR

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Eowyn_of_Mordor

Member.
in tolkien's time, women weren't considered equals.

Eowyn_of_Mordor
I agree that women are in second plan ; although they seem to be more powerful then many other mail characters......

undomiel
the women in the movie are important

billyboyd4ever
well i dont think tolkien didnt respect women tho, because you can tell that he held galadriel higher than celeborn, plus there was melian who had extreme power, and a few of the varda were female as well

undomiel
ya

username39120jo
and bombabdil's wife! she was prety...

Member.
Yea, Tolkien was ahead of his time. And all the girls were hot...the actors anyway.

Verity
Perhaps because women were considered inferior in many ways when he wrote the books....I believe women were not allowed to go to war in those times....so Tolkien visualized women as the untouched perfect etherial being, much like Arwen and Galadriel, yet powerful enough to make them feel guided and loved....which is probably what the soldiers expected when they came bk home from war in those days....happy

BOPRecruit 16
did you know that mostly women played orcs in the movies because they would tolerate the costumes better? when i went to see lxg and finding nemo, that fact came up on screen.

billyboyd4ever
if he thought that then where did he ge tthe character of eowyn?? answer me that

Verity
I am not saying HE (Tolkien) thought thatsmile.....I am merely saying this was the approach towards women in those years!...As far as Eowyn is concerned, she is the representation of the strong females HE admired (perhaps), that stayed behind to take care of the household and suffer the consequences of war, that no doubt affect every aspect of a country...Don't mistake me! I am not saying they r not strong! Tolkien admired women, don't forget his mother suffered an illness and died when he was still young...and he didn't exactly have a father figure!.That is why i believe he created women as supreme creatures in his stories, and men maybe in some way, to be the heroic figures he encountered at war, yet missed as a child...erm

Member.
hm...

billyboyd4ever
yes..i guess i just isinterpreted what you said. sorry for the inconveinience

nemo
i agree with u verity.
and also i think it's because tolkien was surrounded mostly by men, and his story does reflect parts of his life, for example the bonding between the fellowships.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.