SPOILER*The books and ROTK

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

CaptainInsano
I think the books are much better than the movies and the movies are some of my fav movies of all time. I can't wait for the return of the king I just hope Jackson makes it perfectly. So has anyone read the return of the king or any other books in the series and if you did how do they compare to the movies.

Verity
I' loved the books too! I've read them twice! I think PJ did a pretty good job....needless to say the imagery, in my opinion, was right on! He did most of the stuff exactly how I had imagined it! So I have high hopes for ROTK!smile Plus, the pics I've seen so far are amazing! Regardless of what some folks say.."he didn't respect the story!, took out some stuff!...", bla bla blawacko sleep ! laughing out loud...
We ALL know it's extremely hard to turn books into movies, and time just wouldn't have allowed these jewels to go complete on screen!smile The essence is maintained, and that's what matters! GOOD JOB PJ!, and all the team! big grin

fini
argh how many threads must we have on comparing the movie and the book !!?!?!??!!!!!!!!!!!

CaptainInsano
Well yea PJ made the movies so close to the books and he didn't leave much out. Another cool thing is those special edition DVDs that have extra footage for stuff that was missed such as Bilbo writing the hobbit's tale. Something that is a little weird in my opinion though is that in the movies in Fellowship it ends at the first part of Two Towers, and in the movies the Two Towers ended without the two biggest parts of the books, SPOILER* The dethrowning of sauruman and that fight with the monster and sam and frodo. But I guess since ROTK is a shorter part PJ had to space things out. We will see

Verity
U gotta remember though that ROTK is the shortest book....For ppl. who have never read the books, "killing Frodo" at the end would've been awful!......they had to figure out a way to leave a fairly hopeful ending! Plus I understand Harry Potter had a giant spider in their last movie.....competition standards perhaps?...And I agree about the extended versions...that's why I always look forward to purchasing those! smile

CaptainInsano
yea good point

CaptainInsano
I read the two towers and the return of the king. I am currently reading the fellowship and from what I heard peter left out a couple big things from it. *SPOILER*I know gimli falls in love with that elf women but isn't there like a man in the forest thing?

billyboyd4ever
are you talking about gimli thinking that galadriel is the most beautiful thin gto walk this earth??? because in LOTR thats the closest gimli gets to love (besides the love of his companions)

CaptainInsano
yea

Verity
U must be referring to Gimli falling love w Galadriel...but it's just a bit of an infatuation bcuz he thinks she's so beautiful! He had preconceived ideas of her being evil b4 he met her...that's why he's so taken aback when he actually sees her...In the TT movie (xtended version), PJ did make reference to that! When Gimli tells Legolas about the gift Galadriel gives him(3 hairs off of her golden head...).

About the man in the woods....I think u must be talking about Tom Bombadil...PJ already explained that Tom was a great part in the book, but it was a tale that was irrelevant concerning the journey of the ring and the Fellowship! It would have been pointless to include him or Goldberry, specially for the ppl. who have not read the books and don't wish to...Remember, not everyone who goes to see these movies r fans of Tolkien or anything to do w the LOTR trilogy, and perhaps that portion of the story would've been confusing and boring...smile

CaptainInsano
True but when you dont read the books you miss out on so much more for instance the origin of smeagol, that was explained perfectly by tolkien and I couldn't believe that PJ left that out. But there is still hope that it will be explained in rotk

Dyl
the origins of the ring and the fight between smeagol and deagol are supposed to be in the next movie!!! they have pics of it posted at certain sites, and in like the visual companion for the two towers, the pics look awesome!

Verity
Haven't u seen the images of Smeagol b4 he becomes Gollum??...It seems to me that PJ is going to explain that well, as a flashbk of some sort in ROTK!!...I agree, it shouldn't be left out...and I think PJ is doing his best to respect and include the important parts of the books...http://www.killermovies.com/forums/images/moresmilies/cheers.gif http://www.killermovies.com/forums/images/moresmilies/clap.gif

CaptainInsano
YESSSS!!! hallelluia! I was hoping he would explain that in ROTK woo hoo

CaptainInsano
I am very happy about this news as you can see. Anywho I was wondering has anyone read the book after ROTK? There was another book that tolkien didn't write and it starts with an S.

CaptainInsano
I mean the simallirion has anyone read that

billyboyd4ever
yes!!! that is my all time favorite book! i think it is tolkien's real genius, even tho its a bit tough @ some points...

CaptainInsano
So does it have anything to do w/ the original story? i heard he didn't write it

billyboyd4ever
you heard tolkien didnt write it??? thats weird. the silmarillion is basically a history of middle earth, from the creation to the end of LOTR, tho the 3rd Age (which is mostly what LOTR covers) is pretty brief compared to other sections of book
i read somewhere that the way it was made was that he started writing little individual stories even before LOTR, and he kept writing more and more over the years. so a year or 2 after he died christopher tolkien found some of these stories + put them together to make a book (some of these stories may also me in the lost tales, the red book, and other tolkien works) so ya

CaptainInsano
Oh thats cool so its sorta like the animatrix

CaptainInsano
what does everyone think about the gimli in the movies? I am a bit dissapointed because he mostly just used as the comedic relief instead of the dwarf warrior. Yeah I know he fights a lot but If he were serious he would be so much cooler

Verity
I like the comic relief bit!! I know Gimli isn't as funny in hthe books, but he does have a sense of humor...I think PJ just wanted to add that so the movie would have some breathing gaps...and it wouldn't feel so intense all the time...Gimli does do some ass whoopin' though! I think we still have yet to see many interesting things from mr.Gimli!! http://www.killermovies.com/forums/images/moresmilies/smoke.gif

billyboyd4ever
yea...its the same concept as w/merry + pippin. they were kinda funny in the books, but in the movies they're like hilarious!!! i think PJ also made gimli funny to enhance his character. it also helps bring to life the ever growing bond between legolas + gimli

Verity
Very true!!smile

billyboyd4ever
hehe thanks cool

CaptainInsano
what about gollum? How do you think he looked? I had mixed opinions mainly because he looked too cartoonish for me, I liked how he looked in The Fellowship of the ring because his head was long and skinny not fat and wide. Nevertheless his acting was done PERFECTLY and he remains one of the best characters in book and movie history but I think if they had gone with the first version of gollum it could have turned out better.

Verity
Well, supposedly they did him different in TTT to give him a little more of a similar look to Andy Serkis, bcuz of the scenes we'r e going to be seeing also of Smeagol.....smile He was all just CG w out Andy when they created Gollum for FOTR.... wink

coolboarder98
The only thing I would have liked to see was Tom Bombadil! And Goldberry! That dude is crazy! I liked the fact that PJ went and threw out most of the Council of Elrond. In the book, that lasted like 40 pages!

Verity
Yeah...the council was sorta long!! laughing out loud Regarding Tom Bombadil, even tho he was cool.......PJ clarified his story still was irrelevant concerning the journey of the Ring...it really didn't mean anything.....just that he was immune to it's power I guess!! cool

CaptainInsano
Back to the books, what do you think is the best book? Personally I think the Hobbit is the best book because it is unbelievably well written 2nd book goes to FOTR, 3rd ROTK and 4th Tow Towers. Don't get me wrong about two towers I liked the movie a lot better than fellowship but as a book I like Fellowship better. I really love all of them and they go on the list of top ten books of all time... at least the story does.

The Omega

CaptainInsano
good point about the three pices thing I heard he was really mad because of it

turin
well if your editions are like mine each of the 3 books is split into 2 books themselves. my editions cut it off at the ford, lorien, just after helms deep, after sam realizes frodo is alive, then again somewhere in the middle of ROTK. but as far as how they were published, well i cant choose i love them all.

CaptainInsano
Yea we got the same books, I dunno I always think of it as one big book too but it helps to have them shorter I guess

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.