Shmi, Anakin...Cliegg, Owen

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Lyn
In Ep1 Ani is 9/10 and lives with his mother Shmi, both are slaves on Tatooine. When Ani is freed, Shmi remains on Tatooine.
In Ep2 Ani is 19/20, 10 years have passed. When Ani goes looking for his mother he is told by Watto that she was sold and that he heard her new owner freed and married her.
When Ani arrives at the Lars Homestead, Tatooine, he meets Cliegg Lars and Owen Lars who claims to be Anakin's step-brother .
Now if only 10 years have passed since Ani was with his mother then how can she have married and had a son who when we see him is an adult? I might have missed something but I was just wondering if anyone else spotted this or knew anything about it.

imhotep
I guess Watto must have sold her right after Ep1. He was broke remember? Owen is suposed to be younger than Anakin he just doesn't look like it. Remember, life on Tatooine makes anyone look oldersmile

Darth_Byterious
They are step brothers not half brothers,so they are only related by marriage.Shmi was not Owen's real mother.

Ushgarak
Indeed, Owen Lars is not Shmi's son.

Rogue Jedi
indeed not.

finti
I stopped counting how many times we had this discussion. People seems to have a problem with the difference between a step brother(actually a no relation at all)and half brother(blood related through same mother or father))

Rogue Jedi
i am very familiar with all of the above.

finti
surprisingly enough a lot arent

Rogue Jedi
my mom and dad divorced and remarried so i have a few of them.

Lyn
Thanks for replying everyone, sorry if it had been posted before, i didnt know. And I'm sorry...I didn't realise he was a step-brother. But that does explain a lot, helps me to understand. Thanks!!
I'm sorry again!! sad

Ushgarak
No need to apologise! You did actually realise he was a step-brother- you mentioned it in your own post!- just it is easy to confuse the meaning of 'step' and 'half' in your head. No biggie.

Captain REX
No biggie?! Why I oughta... big grin

j/k, it's quite alright Lyn. smile

Lyn
laughing out loud Thanx Rex, thanx Ush....I'm new and I'm slow
blink confused

Baylin
Dont worry about it I'm old and slow - Look this post is a month late...

LanceWindu
laughing out loud

You must be slow Baylin.

Wait, I'm posting in here late also.

Crap, I'm slow too.

Lyn
laughing
Thanx guys happy

Darth Hater
laughing

Lyn
I can't believe this thread hasn't been closed yet... laughing

JediHDM
well then, we must keep it open...so, anyone else upset about the fact that GL basically rewrote what we were led to believe about Obi-wan and Luke and Owen before...?

yerssot
not really, it never made it into ROTJ, so you always have to be sceptic about it

mephistodesigns
yeah, it makes more sense that owen would have thought that Anakin should have "stayed here and not gotten involved".

finti
more sense than what?

mephistodesigns
then him being obi-wan's brother. In the old explanation I don't think it said anything about Anakin being from Tatooine. But even if it did, I was always thinking, 'and wtf is it any of Owen's biz what Anakin does?" when Obi-wan told Luke that Owen thought Anakin should have stayed behind and not gotten involved. Now it makes more sense because we know that Owen comes from a line of farmer's where practicality and hard work are the ways to live your life. Anakin living out a childhood fantasy, regardless of the good he did (before Vader), was no doubt viewed as riduclous and silly. Now, Owen saying that line is more of a realisation that if Anakin would have stayed, he would have been able to spend more time with his mother and be part of they're little family. And he wouldn't have been involved in the Wars and gone evil (if he knows about him going evil, which I'm convinced is an obvious implied truth based on his desire to keep Luke from leaving Tatooine in IV, where we now know it was very important for Luke to not leave to join the Imperial Academy since he may have run into Vader). That's why it makes more sense.

finti
I always had the impression that Anakin was from tatooine hence the the tension about Anakin between Luke and Owen. I thought Owen was sore because Anakin went on an adventure and Owen was stuck on the moisture farm. That thought was ruined by the ROTJ novel though.

I doubt Owen knows about Anakins real fate

mephistodesigns
i agree with the first part of what you said, but I'm damn sure he knows about Vader.

"Luke's just not a farmer Owen, he's got too much of his father in him"-Beru
"That's what I'm afraid of"-Owen
It sounds like Beru may have been kept in the dark, but I'll bet Obi-wan told him most of it. Although, he could also be refering to the Tuscons, but I still think Obi-wan had to have told him something, maybe not Vader, but definitely him going bad.

finti
well they saw the anger in Anakin when he went after Shmi and we must presume Shmi told them about the advanterous young Anakin. About his dreams of being a space pilots visiting all the star systems, his pod racing days and so on. So from what little they could see out of Anakin (and out of my personal presumption of dialouges between Smi and the rest of the people at the Lars hoestead) he wasnt actuall farmer material but more of a dreamer... just like Luke

I think Obi told them Anakin was dead. Dont think Obi would have taken the chance that Owen or Beru someday in an emotional state would have burst out with the real fate of Anakin. Owen out of anger, Beru out of sympathy..

Dont get me wrong mephistodesigns , even if "I call you out on things from time to time big grinwink", I aint trying to dis your thoughts on the matter or getting people to share my views rather than yours.
I just believe differently on this matter and share it with you all .

........and I love a good debate too smokin'

mephistodesigns
That's true, why trust farmers with THAT bit of info. Good point. I hope they show this. I'm sure they will since it was said in the Insider that during the EpII filming they filmed what little they needed of Tunisia for III. Obi-wan can be inserted later if they needed to.

finti
One of the early rumors was that the Tattooine shoothing involved only the delivery of baby Luke to the Lars homestead

mephistodesigns
hence my saying Obi-wan would need to be there. You think he's just gonna leave him on their door step? Without some sort of explanation? Of course there's some sort of explanation, even if it is tweeked with the Obi-wan "point of view" nonsense. but an explanation will be told to the Lars. They know he's family, since Luke does call them Uncle and Aunt. I'm sure they didn't figure that out by just looking at a baby dropped off at their house.

finti
I think you are right about the explanation, but I believe they(Owen and Beru) are told the same thing we learn that Luke know about his fathers faith before the encounter with Obi Wan in ANH. Only thing though Owen knew Anakin was a jedi, guess he told Luke otherwise to discourage Luke, being the dreamer Luke and knowing his father was a jedi wouldnt help the matter about staling his desire to join the academy. So Owen must have told Luke this freight pilot bogus thing as a plan not to encourage his already restless heart...........just my takes on things

mephistodesigns
i agree big grin

Lyn
They agree!! Happy Dance

Ushgarak
Only problem is Ewan McGregor was not present for that Tunisia shooting.

They could add him in on a studio set though.

mephistodesigns
good line droping Lyn!

Ush- I said that already! you're trying to steal my thunder aren't you?! aren't you?! wink laughing out loud

Dirty Vader
Studio set? They wont bother, everything will be filmed in front of a
blue screen again.

finti
and where do you think the blue screens are at?

Dirty Vader
Studio sets arent blue screens.

finti
but where do you find the blue screens?

mephistodesigns
anywhere they're needed. Outside, inside, covering big plushy things for fighters to fall into, hell-even on body parts they want to remove later.

That's where you find the blue screens.

finti
blue screens outside???

mephistodesigns
Yep, they had a big one up when they shot obi-wan getting knocked down off the platform in Menace, where Maul kicks him off to separate Kenobi and Jinn. They shot it outside with a huge blue screen. The pod race scene had some two. Lots of movies do it. they were shooting Van Helsing across the street from my last job and they had a huge castle front set up, and a huge blue screen behind it, its actually cloth, they drapped it down the side of a lot of crates, like those metal crates you'd see at a port. They blue screened the guy's legs in Forrest Gump that was in a wheel chair so they could take them out later. They blue screen everywhere and anywhere.

finti
oh thats what you get for never watching the second dvd wink

mephistodesigns
yeah, you really should man, that's stuffs neat. but i know not everybody likes to know how the magician does it. because I do think about how they did it when I watch it, thats enjoyable for me, but a lot of people would be annoyed.

Dirty Vader
Owen seems to think that Obi-Wan is a crazy old hermit so something must of happened between the two of them. Maybe Owen doesent know who Obi-Wan realy is, so that everything can be kept safely anonymous.
Obi-Wan being Lukes watcher, maybe had to keep a low profile by
playing a crazy act. So there will probably be not much of an explanation given to Lars.

yerssot
Owen does know what it's all about, imho

he knows the truth about his Vader and all and if OB1 delivers Luke to them he gets the story, I think

Dirty Vader
Yeah, but why does he have an attidude with Obi-Wan if he gets the story?

yerssot
because his stepbrother went evil because Ob1 can't teach? (according to him)

Dirty Vader
He barely knew his step brother. Anakin didnt even bother to
say goodbye before going to save Obi-Wan in AOTC. He only met him
once and nothing happened between them during that time.
Its not as if Anakin was his half-brother.

yerssot
well, the fact is that he didn't liked OB1 or jedi in general messed

Dirty Vader
so something must of happened or Owen got over-protective with Luke
or Owen doesent know Obi-Wan's identity even though he has an explanation.

finti
actually Obi wan lives like a hermit on tattoine, no wonder owen finds him a bit strange

Dirty Vader
Finti_Have you read the rest of the page. That has already been mentioned.

Dirty Vader
If you meant that Owen thinks Obi-Wan is strange and therefore doesent
know his real identity, than I agree. I've also said that before.

mephistodesigns
My theory has always been, even pre PT, that Owen knows about Anakin to some degree, about his turning. He answers Beru's "hes got too much of his father in him" with "that's what i'm afraid of". He knows something about Anakin enough to fear Luke turning out like him. And the best way to ensure that Luke doesn't turn out like Anakin is to keep him as far away form Jedi as possible. That's why he tells Luke his father was a pilot on a spice freighter, so he doesn't ask questions about Jedi. Obi-wan says to Luke, that Owen feared "you'd run off with Obi-wan on some damn fool idealistic crusade, like your father did". Owen knows most, if not all of what happened. He's trying to protect Luke from his father, and from a possible self that Luke doesn't know he has.

finti
well it obvious needed to be mentioned again

finti
Well Anakin went into a sandpeople camp alone and came back with the body of his mother. Beside his gloomy mood Anakin was without a scratch. I guess that would scare the crap out of those who lived in fear of the Tuskens, knowing that a task like what Anakin went out on should be close to impossible to accomplish singlehandedly.
I agree with you on Owen keeping the "your father was a jedi"away from Luke, to stale his already adventerous and restless heart. I just belive Owen wants Luke to help him out on the farm, Owen has an attitude about the ongoing conflict in the galaxy doesnt consern them, it doesnt happen on Tattooine so why bother with it.
And Ben/Obi Wan kind of emphasise this with the frase
Thats your uncle talking
in reply to Lukes

I can't get involved! I've got work to do! It's not that I likethe Empire. I hate it! But there's nothing I can do about it right now. It's such a long way from here

mephistodesigns
yeah i agree. i thought that too, i'm sure others had stumbled over the tusken massacre, and Owen would have easily put two and two together, like you said about Anakin coming back from what is certain death for everyone else (and he didn't have a scratch on him). And yeah, its pretty obvious Owen wants him on the farm and that the war doesn't concern him, but I think that's too simple for the kind of physical (look at the shift in body language) reaction he has when Beru mentions Anakin, he shifts his position and looks very intense, I think Owen knows how dangerous Luke could be if he ever left the farm. this could be because of knowing Anakin killed the Tuskens, or knowing he's Vader. Either way, i think he knows that it is essential to keep Luke on the farm, not just for the sake of having extra hands ("there's more than enough droids..."wink. I think he knows that Luke could be as dangerous as Anakin, and keeping him on the farm, and trying to squash that need for adventure are the only ways to do that.

finti
maybe but I am afraid we put too much into it, Star Wars is after all suppose to be a straight forward story of the battle between good and evil, so .......I just think he wanted Luke to stay out of trouble, cause Owen is more concerned about the mentioning of Ben Kenobi, that really sends him of into a fit.

mephistodesigns
because he knows thats the first step of the journey.

mephistodesigns
this is probably in the top 5 things I want answers in III. We'll get something for this since we get a drop off scene, but I just hope its not dumb.

Julie
nice little question...wish they were all solved this easily

Lyn
happy

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.