What made 'im go bad?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

FreakButNotGeek
Searching for: an answer to that annoying question...what made Anakin Skywalker go after the Dark Side? All informed replies welcome. big grin null

yerssot
Well, he hates OB1 because he thinks that he and Amidala have an affair. So they battle on a vulcan. And that combined with some other small things, like he thinks the JC has no faith in him, ...

JediOasis
Nobody knows for sure. Its a combination of a lot of things, hate, anger, fear, jealousy and other things. Everyone assumes his mother dies and that plays some part.

Ushgarak
Obviously his Mother is the presented link.

I am certain that Anakin fell through trying to do the right thing. Yoda tells Luke that if he goes up against the Emperor too early, he would suffer the same fate as his father. Now, that might have been a general comment, or it MIGHT have meant that Anakin was turned on his very mission to destroy Sidious, that he rushed into.

mk1979
I think his mother is murdered and somehow he comes to blame the JC for her death

yerssot
Perhaps he did the same as Luke years later: for completing a mission he turned to the dark side, but perhaps Annakin couldn't be turned back because Sidi let him believe that his mother was killed by Jedis?

queeq
More by lack of actions by the Jedi.

But I do think Palpy plays a big part in it, in influencing Anakin's perception of the world. Remember Palpy trying to manipulate Luke's mind up on the DS2. But he didn't have much on Luke, just his friends.
But on Anakin he has much more: his mother, starting his training at an old age, Jedi not appreciating his chosenness and his powers, Jedi not wanting him to marry, OB1 seemingly turning against him. So it'll be a lot of things, a culmination of events and actions that bring Anakin to this point.

IMHO OC.

Dim
I think it was basic lack of control of himself and his emotions.

darthyogi
I still like the idea that he goes into the Dark Side willingly, knowing that to be the only way of defeating the Emperor.
Perhaps, in order to realise his full potential, Anakin must experience both sides of the force? Having his children around to pull him out of the Dark Side's influence, as Luke does in ROTJ, would then be of key concern to both Anakain and the JC.
So, maybe Anakin succombs to the Dark Side in order to fight fire with fire, so to speak. (?)

Ushgarak
No! That fundamentally undermines Anakin's storyline! He DID go bad! Thgere was nothing noble about it right up until the end of ROTJ. He DID go bad, he went bad because he WANTED to, and that is the tragedy of it.

yerssot
So, Annie was a baaad little boy!
Where did you get the evidence that he turned by his free will?

Ushgarak
No evidence as such, but the enitre crutch of the story is that he CHOSE his path.

yerssot
Then let me rephrase it: why do you think that?

Ushgarak
Why do I think he chose his own path? As far as GL is concenred, it is the moral of the story.

GL quote:

"Star Wars is a story of how a good man turns bad and is redeemed by his son"

The essence of this involves him choosing to go bad and his son showing him where he was mistaken. If Anakin went bad as some sort of plan to defeat the Empire, the whole redemption plot-line is destroyed.

Presumably, he tutned bad thinking it was the right thing to do, and before he knew it he was evil.

yerssot
"Star Wars is a story of how a good man turns bad and is redeemed by his son"

That still doesn't explain fully that it was his own chose. Turns still can be willingness/unwillingness. But he was already angry in EpI for everything, so ...

Presumably, he tutned bad thinking it was the right thing to do, and before he knew it he was evil.

Yeah, You're right I also blow up planets just before lunch!
You just can't turn to the Dark Side because you think it is good, how hard it is, Light is always the good choice

queeq
I think Anakin makes his choices thinking it's the best of all options. And when he realises what he has done or chosen, "it is too late for me my son. You do not understand the power of the Dark Side. I MUST obey my master."

BEsides, I think he likes being evil. The way he held up that Rebel soldier in ANH by the neck..... he loved it.

queeq
I think this is where Palpy comes into play. I think he makes Anakin believe that the Jedi-way is wrong, the Jedi are bad and that his way gives him more in every way, including power and control. We may see the poitn where Anakin believes the whole universe is against him.

yerssot
Perhaps he has to be a Jedi very quickly for saving his mother (this is his weak spot: "Your thought dwell on your mother.- What has that got to do witht anything?- Everything: Fear is the path to the Dark Side ..."wink So he chose the quick and more easy way: the Dark Side. (thankx for that to sand person no.10 for that sentence, I forgot it for some reason)

sand person no. 10
is their not some dialog between Yoda and Luke about Vader choosing the quick and easy path, i.e. the dark side so maybe he disagrees with OB1's training and Sidious offers him the quick and easy route, although i'm sure that something else must happen to knock him over the edge

insanewookie
Anakin probably falls from grace due to hubris (his overweening pride) and his failure to follow the advice of Obi Wan and Yoda. The hardships that he suffers...slavery and the death of his mother certainly add to his emotional despair and ultimately help him to betray those close to him and everything the Order stands for. (Just curious what other posters think: SHOULD we feel sympathy for Anakin regardless of what has scarred him emotionally...Does this relieve him of the betrayal as well as the many murders he commits as Darth Vader?)

queeq
If true regret of one's actions does not deserve sympathy, nothing will. Sounds like a harsh and unforgiving attitude to me. If we don't, then all of us fail the test. We all do stupid things and we do not always regret them. Anakin did, in the end. He realised he pissed his life away.

yerssot
You can kill 1 person in angre but you CAN'T kill the whole Jedi-order AND almost whipe out the entire Rebellion and STILL think you're a guy that deserve sympathy

queeq
So you disgree with Luke's actions at the end of ROTJ? You think he should have killed Vader as well?

I think Luke showed his nobility by sympathising with his Vader even before his turn, realising that Anakin was also trapped in his lair of evil.

yerssot
NO! certainly NOT I was refering to Annakin! When you are in anger you can't control yourself and can not be held a 100% responsible for your actions, the death of his mother was the end, he lost his temper. Luke did great by saving his father from the Dark Side (a little late, but better late then never)

darthyogi
My expectation is this:

Anakin watches the assassination of the Jedi by Sidious and the appearance of the first wave of his Clone warriors. This coincides with Anakin being approached by Sidious and offered an apprenticeship - "I can only have one apprentice, and I want the most promising", type of thing.

Of course, Anakin refuses, but as more and more of his Jedi friends and colleagues die he begins to suspect the place he can most effectively work to end the conflict (and defeat the Emperor) is from behind enemy lines. He reveals his plan to OBI-WAN who is of course horrified by the suggestion - "You can't pretend to embrace the dark side - you either do, or you don't. Either way, you're doomed", type of thing.

Anakin ignores his friend’s advice and sets about surrendering to the Emperor. Left no choice, and unwilling to reveal any of this to the Jedi Council for fear that it will colour their opinion of Anakin and throw into question the completion of his training, OBI-WAN attempts to stop Anakin himself. In a last-ditch effort to put this plan out of Anakin's mind, OBI-WAN tells him that the Emperor was responsible for his mother's death (maybe) and a whole lot of stuff intended to make Anakin change his mind. Anakin then secretly checks the validity of OBI-WAN's claims and, finding that they are all fabricated, begins to distrust OBI-WAN. It is at this time that the idea of OBI-WAN having an affair with Padme is introduced as a paranoiac reaction to the loss of a close friend. This, of course, is the work of the Emperor who, having discovered Anakin's plan from a Jedi in whom OBI-WAN had confided but who had cracked during interrogation, is playing on Anakin's fears from afar (or, in the guise of Palpatine).

During Ep.III OBI-WAN gets his chance to stop Anakin (who is now losing himself to the dark side) in the sabre battle that leaves Anakin scarred in need of the armour that personified him as Vader. Knowing that Anakin has escaped, however, OBI-WAN instead turns his attention to protecting Anakin’s children knowing only they can act as catalyst for the fallen jedi’s recovery.

This is in response to an emotional plea to OBI-WAN at the end of Ep.II in which Anakin admits to feeling overwhelmed by the onslaught of the dark side and begs OBI-WAN to draw him out. The appeal is made using the force (ie, is felt) as Anakin is already resident at the Emperors pleasure and no-one knows where that is.

This would give Ep.II the opportunity for an ESB ending (something I feel strongly it should have) – the remaining Jedi have rendezvoused (possibly with the infant rebellion) but one of their number, Anakin, is lost ‘somewhere out there’ The end of Ep.II sets up Ep.III as a manhunt in much the same way ESB did with Han: the tiny craft pulls away from the fleet and pitches, a voice breaks transmission silence: “Don’t worry your highness, we’ll find him and bring him back”. The once proud ruler of Naboo, her new born children cradled in her arms, watches from the medical bay as the ship piloted by her friend, the Jedi Master, flares its engines and speeds into hyperspace…

yerssot
wow! I think you should write ep VII-IX!!
There are some terrific things in!!!!!!
I hope that some of those may really come in the story

MrFlame
It could have been that Anakin's only descion was to go to the dark side. Maybe the light power wasn't good enough to defeat someone evil or save a friend.

Ushgarak
I am pretty certain that Anakin goes to kill the Emperor and is turned; I would be very surprised if he ever intended to be a double agent in any way.

jedi212guy
I have resurrected from the ashes! Remember me?

Anyway, Anakin definitely went after Palpy to finish him off, gets in a duel with Dooku, and then converts to the dark side. Oh ye.

yerssot
I think now that he plays as a double-agent.
He said something about it in ROTJ, darn I can't remember anything!!
I thought it was something like, it's before he brings Luke to the Emperor, I can't go the the Light Side I must obey my master- thingy.
I think that he wanted to kill Sidi but he was overwhelmed by the Dark Side, for the revange of the death of his mother??, so he feared Sidi and he thought he couldn't be turned.

jedi212guy
I think Vader was afraid of Palpy's power, which he will see in Epi. III. He knew that the Emperor would kill him if he rebelled, which did indeed happen. He just didn't care anymore.

sand person no. 10

sand person no. 10
I don't rate this double agent thing, i think that he turns because of ob1's training methods, or Padme or his mother, or because of Palpatines blackmail. If Anakin had been a double agent, wouldn't have ob1 have told luke who his father was or at least of told him that he died trying to do the right thing. The way that Vader obeys the emperor leads me to believe that it was a combination of anakins lack of patience and palpatines power. I think anakin sees palpatine as a saviour, maul doesn't have the same respect for sidious that vader has for palpatine i.e vader bowing before palpatine. Palpatine saves anakin from dying and uses this to finally turn him.

yerssot
Why does he than kill the Emperor? There is still good in him! Why didn't he do that earlyer?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.