KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Computer / Video Games Discussion » Games 'Versus' Forum » Games 'Respect' Forum » Mew

Mew
Started by: ESB -1138

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
ESB -1138
Sonic Speed

Mew

(please log in to view the image)

Mew is normally described as a pink cat-like creature. Mew's hair is so fine, it can only be seen under a microscope. It has a long, skinny tail. Mew has big hind legs, like a rabbit and short arms with three-fingered paws. Mew has triangle-shaped ears and baby-blue eyes. Mew is said to have the DNA of every single Pokémon.

Mew's main abilities include turning invisible at will, creating force-fields of psychic energy and being able to transform into any one of the other nearly 500 species of Pokémon. Mew is capable of wielding every type of attack possible.

Mew is an intelligent Pokémon and will only appear to someone with a pure heart. It also acts very childish, wanting everybody it trusts to play with it and laughing most of the time.

Reports found on Burned Mansion found in Cinnabar Island in the Kanto region speak of expeditions of scientists, either independent or Team Rocket-run which have had sights of Mew in Guyana, South America, the place where its first sighting was reported. However, since Mew can either make itself invisible or transform itself into any other Pokémon, very few people have knowingly seen it, and it is considered a "mirage".

Mew appeared in two Pokémon movies. In the first, Mewtwo Strikes Back, it engaged in a battle with its clone, Mewtwo. In the eighth movie, Lucario and the Mystery of Mew, Mew kidnapped Ash's Pikachu and Meowth. In the first movie, it was voiced by Kôichi Yamadera, while in the eighth, it was voiced by Satomi Kôrogi.

Jirarudan's actions in The Power of One were apparently set in motion due to an Ancient Mew card; the card itself was actually shown in the movie.

A Mirage Mew appears in The Mastermind of Mirage Pokémon, and helps to frustrate the plans of Mirage Master.

Nando has a harp that is designed on a Mew.

Mew debuted in its own round in the Red, Green & Blue chapter, A Glimpse of the Glow. Here, Red and Green see one in Pallet Town and try to catch it, but they fail. The phantom Pokémon was chased by Team Rocket. It later appeared in the Fire Red Leaf Green saga, where it saved Red and the people of Vermillion City from the impending crash of the TR helicopter.

Pokedex Entries
Red/Blue: So rare that it is still said to be a mirage by many experts. Only a few people have seen it worldwide.

Yellow: When viewed through a microscope, this Pokémon's short, fine, delicate hair can be seen.

Gold: Apparently, it appears only to those people who are pure of heart and have a strong desire to see it.

Silver: Its DNA is said to contain the genetic codes of all Pokémon, so it can use all kinds of techniques.

Crystal: Because it can learn any move, some people began research to see if it is the ancestor of all Pokémon.

Ruby/Sapphire: Mew is said to possess the genetic composition of all Pokémon. It is capable of making itself invisible at will, so it entirely avoids notice even if it approaches people.

Emerald: A Mew is said to possess the genes of all Pokémon. It is capable of making itself invisible at will, so it entirely avoids notice even if it approaches people.

FireRed: A Pokémon of South America that was though to have been extinct. It is very intelligent and learns any move.

LeafGreen: So rare that it is still said to be a mirage by many experts. Only a few people have seen it worldwide.

Diamond: Because it can use all kinds of moves, many scientists believe Mew to be the ancestor of Pokémon.

Pearl: Many scholars regard it as the ancestor of Pokémon since it can use all known moves.

Base Stats
HP: 100
Attack: 100
Defense: 100
**Special: 100
SpAtk: 100
SpDef: 100
Speed: 100

**Divided into special attack and special defense

Old Post Oct 3rd, 2007 03:22 AM
ESB -1138 is currently offline Click here to Send ESB -1138 a Private Message Find more posts by ESB -1138 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
EvilAngel
Over the hills

Nice one, lots of details ^-^ yay. By the way i love your new signature

Old Post Oct 3rd, 2007 03:46 AM
EvilAngel is currently offline Click here to Send EvilAngel a Private Message Find more posts by EvilAngel Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Wandering Flame
Restricted

Account Restricted

Mew!

Maybe we'll meet again...
Wandering Flame (one of the best pieces in the Final Fantasy X soundtrack) happy

Old Post Oct 3rd, 2007 03:52 AM
Wandering Flame is currently offline Click here to Send Wandering Flame a Private Message Find more posts by Wandering Flame Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ESB -1138
Sonic Speed

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Remindme
Nice one, lots of details ^-^ yay. By the way i love your new signature

Thanks. big grin

Mew has always been my favorite legendary Pokemon. Palkia is rising the ranks but Mew is still number 1!!

Old Post Oct 3rd, 2007 02:07 PM
ESB -1138 is currently offline Click here to Send ESB -1138 a Private Message Find more posts by ESB -1138 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Burning thought
Restricted

Account Restricted

did the pokermon not start off in the cardgame? or was the game itself first?

Old Post Oct 3rd, 2007 04:28 PM
Burning thought is currently offline Click here to Send Burning thought a Private Message Find more posts by Burning thought Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Creshosk

Originally posted by Burning thought
did the pokermon not start off in the cardgame? or was the game itself first?

The video game was first introduced in Japan; February 27, 1996
The trading card game was first introduced in Japan; October 15, 1996.

Old Post Oct 3rd, 2007 04:56 PM
Creshosk is currently offline Click here to Send Creshosk a Private Message Find more posts by Creshosk Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
EvilAngel
Over the hills

And then the Series began in 1997 if i'm not mistaken

Old Post Oct 3rd, 2007 04:57 PM
EvilAngel is currently offline Click here to Send EvilAngel a Private Message Find more posts by EvilAngel Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ESB -1138
Sonic Speed

The game was first.

Old Post Oct 3rd, 2007 05:11 PM
Burning thought
Restricted

Account Restricted

fair enough, Mew is cute, wasnt his card one of the rares, it was either the promo one or Ancient

Old Post Oct 3rd, 2007 05:28 PM
Burning thought is currently offline Click here to Send Burning thought a Private Message Find more posts by Burning thought Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ESB -1138
Sonic Speed

I don't remember the card game that well. But here's a little fun fact:

The inclusion of Mew into Pokemon Red/Blue was so secret that Nintendo didn't even know about it. Only the developer.

Old Post Oct 3rd, 2007 05:30 PM
Ridley_Prime
Smug icon slayer

Meh. Although I think it's unique as a character, I've never liked Mew all that much as most others have. Just seems overrated to me (with all the misinformed fans who go "OMG Mew is teh best pogeymans eva!" just because it can learn any TM/HM/move tutor move. What most don't take into account is that its base stats aren't that good compared to most other legendary ubers), though I will be honest as to say Mew's my favorite 'cute' Pokemon, by far.

And yeah. I have 2 of them Ancient Mew cards (along with a regular Mew card I got in a trade that's non-holographic).

As for the video games, while I did use the Lavender Town glitch to attain Mew in Red/Blue, I used Gameshark/Action Replay to get him in the other versions (like I did with Celebi and Deoxys), so sue me.

Old Post Oct 3rd, 2007 05:39 PM
Ridley_Prime is currently offline Click here to Send Ridley_Prime a Private Message Find more posts by Ridley_Prime Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ESB -1138
Sonic Speed

Expect the base stats are lv. 1 stats and who takes a lv. 1 Mew out to battle? Heck my lv.67 Mew had more HP than my lv.70 Mewtwo

Old Post Oct 3rd, 2007 05:42 PM
Ridley_Prime
Smug icon slayer

Originally posted by ESB -1138
Expect the base stats are lv. 1 stats and who takes a lv. 1 Mew out to battle? Heck my lv.67 Mew had more HP than my lv.70 Mewtwo

And my Mewtwo had higher Defense & Special Defense than my Mew (forgot what levels they were at when I checked 'em, but they were at the same level). Your point? stick out tongue

Depending on the nature and IVs (Individual Values) the Pokemon has when caught/obtained (along with all that other complicated 3rd/4th generation stuff), some Pokemon's base stats (regardless of what Pokemon it is) may turn out to be unusually higher or lower than expected (as far as going by the base stats). It varies.

On most occasions though, Mewtwo would indeed have much higher HP than Mew in the end.

Last edited by Ridley_Prime on Oct 3rd, 2007 at 06:26 PM

Old Post Oct 3rd, 2007 06:11 PM
Ridley_Prime is currently offline Click here to Send Ridley_Prime a Private Message Find more posts by Ridley_Prime Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ESB -1138
Sonic Speed

Expect that really shouldn't work on legendary considering there's only one each.

But Mew > Mewtwo

Old Post Oct 3rd, 2007 06:25 PM
Ridley_Prime
Smug icon slayer

Expect that really shouldn't work on legendary considering there's only one each.

Not true. It works on them as well.

If someone catches a Groudon on Ruby version for instance, its nature and stats will most likely be different than someone else's Groudon that was caught on another Ruby version, and thus, the 2 Pokemon's overall stats will be way different in the end, when trained to the highest level.

But Mew > Mewtwo

A clear and perfect example of what I meant by Mew being overrated.

In the anime, they were completely even, but in the games, Mewtwo has higher HP, significantly higher Speed (which equals that of Aerodactyl's, and trust me. that's very fast), and godly Special Attack (the highest possible Special Attack Mewtwo can reach by level 100 if trained correctly is like, 447. Mew's Special Attack can't get anywhere close to that number).

Mew may have the ability to learn any TM/HM/move tutor move, but Mewtwo's base stats give it more of an edge in battle, and while Mewtwo can't learn any TM/HM/etc. like Mew can, it's still capable of learning the moves needed to put Mew's name to shame.

----

All and all, I'm not exactly trying to say Mew's weak. Just that he's (or is it she? stick out tongue) not in the same league as Mewtwo and some of the other uber legendaries. Of course, if you were just expressing your opinion by saying "Mew > Mewtwo", then yeah. You're entitled to thinking that, but if you meant it as an actual fact, then I'm afraid you're wrong. This may be a Mew respect thread, but that's not much of a reason to say things that make Mew look more powerful than it actually is (though needless to say, such is common when people compare Goku and Superman most of the time).

Old Post Oct 3rd, 2007 06:56 PM
Violent2Dope
Restricted

Account Restricted

Missingo is secreter than Mew. stick out tongue Anyway, Mew is cool, tho my two fave Legendary Pokemon would be M2 and Ho oh.

PYRON WOULD WIPE THE FLOOR WITH STORM LULZ!

Old Post Oct 3rd, 2007 07:46 PM
Violent2Dope is currently offline Click here to Send Violent2Dope a Private Message Find more posts by Violent2Dope Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ESB -1138
Sonic Speed

Originally posted by Ridley_Prime
Not true. It works on them as well.

If someone catches a Groudon on Ruby version for instance, its nature and stats will most likely be different than someone else's Groudon that was caught on another Ruby version, and thus, the 2 Pokemon's overall stats will be way different in the end, when trained to the highest level.

Here's what I mean. There's suppose to only be one legendary Pokemon per game (only one Mewtwo). If you get Mewtwo in FireRed and someone gets Mewtwo in LeafGreen by default they are the same Mewtwo since there's only one in existence. So how can it have different personalities?

Originally posted by Ridley_Prime
In the anime, they were completely even, but in the games, Mewtwo has higher HP, significantly higher Speed (which equals that of Aerodactyl's, and trust me. that's very fast), and godly Special Attack (the highest possible Special Attack Mewtwo can reach by level 100 if trained correctly is like, 447. Mew's Special Attack can't get anywhere close to that number).

Mew may have the ability to learn any TM/HM/move tutor move, but Mewtwo's base stats give it more of an edge in battle, and while Mewtwo can't learn any TM/HM/etc. like Mew can, it's still capable of learning the moves needed to put Mew's name to shame.

----

All and all, I'm not exactly trying to say Mew's weak. Just that he's (or is it she? stick out tongue) not in the same league as Mewtwo and some of the other uber legendaries. Of course, if you were just expressing your opinion by saying "Mew > Mewtwo", then yeah. You're entitled to thinking that, but if you meant it as an actual fact, then I'm afraid you're wrong. This may be a Mew respect thread, but that's not much of a reason to say things that make Mew look more powerful than it actually is (though needless to say, such is common when people compare Goku and Superman most of the time).

Expect that Mew has been named the "World's Strongest Pokemon" time and time again in the anime movie and Mewtwo's one desire was to defeat Mew and prove he was the best and yet when it came down to it the fight was a draw. The entire point of them cloning Mew was to make a clone of the World's Strongest Pokemon which is Mew.

If another legendary Pokemon was stronger than Mew than why go through the trouble on trying to clone Mew when you had Lugia, Ho-oh, and the other legendary Pokemon?

Plus considering Mew knows every move it can take out Mewtwo. That's offensive and defensive moves. That's moves that increases speed, defense, attack, as well as moves that would put Mewtwo down!

Originally posted by Violent2Dope
Missingo is secreter than Mew. stick out tongue Anyway, Mew is cool, tho my two fave Legendary Pokemon would be M2 and Ho oh.

Wasn't Missingo a glitch?

Last edited by ESB -1138 on Oct 3rd, 2007 at 08:32 PM

Old Post Oct 3rd, 2007 08:24 PM
Violent2Dope
Restricted

Account Restricted

"World's Strongest Pokemon" time and time again in the anime movie and Mewtwo's one desire was to defeat Mew and prove he was the best and yet when it came down to it the fight was a draw.
And the people that said it then said M2 was greater than Mew.

PYRON WOULD WIPE THE FLOOR WITH STORM LULZ!

Old Post Oct 3rd, 2007 08:33 PM
Violent2Dope is currently offline Click here to Send Violent2Dope a Private Message Find more posts by Violent2Dope Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ridley_Prime
Smug icon slayer

Originally posted by Violent2Dope

Same here (about the favorite legendaries part).

Here's what I mean. There's suppose to only be one legendary Pokemon per game (only one Mewtwo). If you get Mewtwo in FireRed and someone gets Mewtwo in LeafGreen by default they are the same Mewtwo since there's only one in existence. So how can it have different personalities?

Oh. Now I see what you're saying.

I guess what I said there caused a bit of a misunderstanding. I wasn't referring to their personalities, just the natures a Pokemon (any Pokemon, legendary or not) gets when caught/obtained. Natures is just one of the game mechanics in the 3rd (R/S/E) and 4th (D/P) generations (i.e. the nature a Pokemon gets when caught/obtained is usually random, and pretty much every nature has both a positive and negative effect on the Pokemon's stats when they level up). You're able to know what nature your Pokemon has just by going to the menu where you look at its stats and stuff.

... yeah. One of those things that tends to get overlooked (Wasn't sure if you knew that though. If you did, good for you. If you didn't, oh well. What I said up above pretty much explains it). Anyhow, moving on...

Expect that Mew has been named the "World's Strongest Pokemon" time and time again in the anime movie and Mewtwo's one desire was to defeat Mew and prove he was the best and yet when it came down to it the fight was a draw. The entire point of them cloning Mew was to make a clone of the World's Strongest Pokemon which is Mew.

Yes. I did admit they were equal in the anime.

Since the fight ended in a draw like you said though, I guess that would make them both the world's strongest wouldn't it? wink

If another legendary Pokemon was stronger than Mew than why go through the trouble on trying to clone Mew when you had Lugia, Ho-oh, and the other legendary Pokemon?

Well for one thing, they (the scientists) actually had (or discovered) an ancient fossil of Mew, which was what they needed (and used) in their genetic engineering program to make a replica of Mew out of, resulting in Mewtwo.

It wasn't shown anywhere that they had ancient fossils of Lugia, Ho-oh, etc. on the other hand, so naturally, they couldn't clone them.

----

As for the thing about Mew being called the "World's strongest Pokemon" in the first movie a few times, keep in mind that the movie was produced and came out long before Gold/Silver versions, where new Pokemon (at the time) outside the Kanto region were first discovered.
Meh. Because of that, I guess they should've used the line "world's strongest KNOWN Pokemon" instead. Would've been more accurate.

Plus considering Mew knows every move it can take out Mewtwo.

Knows every move? That's a very common misconception when it comes to Mew. It can learn every TM/HM/move tutor technique, but not every single move in the games (there's quite a few moves out there that aren't TM/HM/move tutor exclusive, such as Hydro Pump, Sacred Fire, Aeroblast, etc. The only way Mew would get to perform those mentioned techniques is if the player got lucky when using Metronome, which Mew can learn when leveling up, but so can many other Pokemon, making it not all that special).

The one Pokemon that can truly learn every technique in the game is Smeargle, with its Sketch move.

That's moves that increases speed, defense, attack

That can be easily prevented by using moves like Taunt (which Mewtwo can learn via TMs). If the opponent attempts to use a stat-enhancing move (or any move that doesn't directly attack/do damage), using Taunt will stop him in his tracks, thus cancelling his turn. Mewtwo having much higher Speed than Mew (without having to use a move that increases speed like Agility) helps along with that strategy too.

Also, it's not like Mewtwo can't learn any stat-enhancing moves himself erm (Calm Mind in particular, which raises Special Attack along with Special Defense, makes him pretty much impervious to any dark-type attacks).

as well as moves that would put Mewtwo down!

While Mew can probably learn at least a couple moves or so that are "super effective" against Mewtwo's type (psychic), doesn't mean Mew will be able to KO him with it alone (considering how poor Mew's base stats usually are in comparison to Mewtwo's and some other legendary Pokemon's).

Only way I can see Mew 'putting Mewtwo down' (or making him faint in 1 hit) is with some move combination like Swords Dance+Shadow Ball (as far as the 3rd generation goes), but as I said before, stat-enhancing moves can be easily countered with other moves like Taunt.

Wasn't Missingo a glitch?

Yes. A bug that was overlooked in the game's programming.

Old Post Oct 3rd, 2007 10:39 PM
ESB -1138
Sonic Speed

Hey, who won in the official movie? Neither. Who had the upper hand throughout the movie? Neither. Who was able to overpower who in the movie? Neither.

I fail to see Mewtwo being superior than Mew here.

Old Post Oct 4th, 2007 02:17 PM