KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Computer / Video Games Discussion » Games 'Versus' Forum » Games 'Respect' Forum » Respect the Overlad!

Respect the Overlad!
Started by: Nemesis X

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Nemesis X
Cynical Tyrant

Respect the Overlad!

Warning: This thread will contain spoilers if you haven't played Overlord II
(please log in to view the image)

Overlad is the main character in Overlord II.

Family
Overlad's father was the previous Overlord who got trapped in the Infernal Abyss (seen in Overlord: Raising Hell). His mother is either Rose or Velvet but later later in Overlord II, the actual mother maybe Rose. His grandfather is the Overlord that came before the other Overlord in the first game (Overlad's father). His grandmother is unknown and he has no brother or sister.

Friends
Overlad has three special friends: his mistresses. One is Kelda, the second is Juno, and the third is Dark Fay. His other friends would be Gnarl and his Minion horde.

Enemies
Overlad hates anything cute and fluffy but he mostly despises the Glorius Empire since he's at war with them. His other enemies would be light magical creatures and the elves that protect creatures (they're the elf version of the PETA if you must know).

Raised
The Overlad was smuggled to Nordberg by his mother. He was there for years (it's unknown how many years since his age is never known). He was a little brat to all the villagers by causing mayhem and destruction. The town gave him away to the Empire but managed to escape with his Minions and is now living in the Netherworld.

Old Post Jun 28th, 2009 09:01 PM
Nemesis X is currently offline Click here to Send Nemesis X a Private Message Find more posts by Nemesis X Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nemesis X
Cynical Tyrant

Abilities
Unlike his father, the Overlad can command more Minions than him. Overlad has a spell called the Evil Presence which can enslave or kill people. He can also posess one of his Minions but he can only do this when there's a Netherworld shard nearby. He has a spell called Minion which can make your Minions stronger or you can feed energy off of Minions to restore your health. He has another spell called Halo but I don't know what it does since I haven't gained it yet.

Old Post Jun 28th, 2009 09:09 PM
Nemesis X is currently offline Click here to Send Nemesis X a Private Message Find more posts by Nemesis X Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Burning thought
Restricted

Account Restricted

Halo allows you to give a buff to all your minions at once or it lets loose a huge explosion, also ime not sure but i think depending on your alignment, one of the uses of a spell is enhanced by using catalysts, for exampole when playing as evil, my halo made a huge explosion and my lightning was incredibly powerful, perhaps it has a higher effective "enslave" power when your a good character, or halo has a better minion enhancer.

Old Post Jul 13th, 2009 08:22 PM
Burning thought is currently offline Click here to Send Burning thought a Private Message Find more posts by Burning thought Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Utrigita

quote:
His grandfather is the Overlord that came before the other Overlord in the first game (Overlad's father)

They wasn't blood related Nemesis.

Exactly BT, but being a dominion Character isn't a good character. In this game you are Evil, unlike the first where you had the choice between God and Evil.

Last edited by Utrigita on Jul 14th, 2009 at 04:27 PM

Old Post Jul 14th, 2009 04:24 PM
Utrigita is currently offline Click here to Send Utrigita a Private Message Find more posts by Utrigita Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Burning thought
Restricted

Account Restricted

Well the choice is actually "evil" or "extremely evil"....killing in the game is seen as more evil than enslaving so killing makes you alignment red while enslaving it goes blue.

Old Post Jul 14th, 2009 07:22 PM
Burning thought is currently offline Click here to Send Burning thought a Private Message Find more posts by Burning thought Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Utrigita

What color the individual alignment got ingame does in no way make the justification on whether ore not the one is a lesser evil then the other, both is Evil in their own way, but it's up to the individual (us) to decide which of them you consider the most evil and play after that.

Old Post Jul 14th, 2009 07:31 PM
Utrigita is currently offline Click here to Send Utrigita a Private Message Find more posts by Utrigita Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Burning thought
Restricted

Account Restricted

Well actually....it depends on what the different alignment allows, obviously if one spell kills and the other heals...then its obvious the healing one is more positively aligned.

Old Post Jul 14th, 2009 07:41 PM
Utrigita

No spell in Overlord II that the Overlord uses, heals the target that would be completely out of his character.

Lightning is either used for Kill ore domination (Domination can also be used for killing)

Halo as Destructive allows you to unleash a powerful shockwave which gives knockback and does damage to the surrounding enemies, while it with Domination turns you Minion army and I quote from memory "into a evil, mean fighting machine"

I haven't been using Minion Spell alot but either it charges up the minion (more attack damage not healing) and you can then release the minion to produce different effects depending on the type of minion used
Brown offers AoE knockback
Red offers AoE Fire Damage
Green Offers AoE Poison
Blue offers magical stun
ore you can as Destruction Overlord devour the minion gaining a health increase and a Shield which has different abilities depending on the minion "eaten" (but not Sure).

Old Post Jul 14th, 2009 10:54 PM
Burning thought
Restricted

Account Restricted

I never said Overlord featured healing spells for the record, I said that if there was a healing spell it is more positively aligned than a destroying spell.

The game feels that domination is less evil than killing.

Old Post Jul 19th, 2009 08:46 PM
Utrigita

And I mentioned that it would entirely out of character for the Overlord serie and Overlord II in particular to display a spell that heals the minions.

Correction you feel that Domination is less Evil then Killing, the game itself along with the Manual takes no side in what is the most evil of the two, that is (again) up to the players (us) to decide.

Old Post Jul 19th, 2009 11:51 PM
Burning thought
Restricted

Account Restricted

Theres only two alignments, evil and very evil, so unless your proposing that out of the two colours representing alignment that blue could be "very evil" more so than dark red then domination would have to be under the "evil" therefore its more evil to kill.

Old Post Jul 20th, 2009 12:02 AM
Utrigita

I'm saying that the colors used to symbolise both Alignments is in no ways meant to show what the Developers think is the most Evil of the two given alignments. The thought that they published and developed the game on would be destroyed, since the entire Idea was that we as players get to choose what is the most evil of the two, the Developers are neutral, that you believe Destruction to be the more Evil of the two is your choice, but please don't be under the misunderstood belief that because of colors in alignment Destruction is more evil then Domination.

Old Post Jul 20th, 2009 10:53 AM
Burning thought
Restricted

Account Restricted

Why? colours are very important, its a form of display, it would be like saying the Overlord being dressed the way he is and the way his city is built (huge fiery cavern fileld with demonic imps) does not convey that he is supposed to be evil, ofcourse it does, and red is the more evil of the two colours over blue.

In what way was the game developed on the basis that the players get to choose which is more evil? can you find me this please.

Old Post Jul 20th, 2009 11:02 AM
Utrigita

In a screen that shows the alignment towards Domination ore Destruction? No it isn't the Colors could have been Orange and Purple and still their would have been no doubt in oure minds that one of the two was more Evil then the other , but you decide which is the most Evil. To say that because one of the Colors are Red and the Other is blue then automatically Destruction is the most evil is to entirely misunderstand the concept of the game's tyranny system imho. Even if we look at what the Colors means we are left with Red (death, Destruction, Chaos) and Blue (Despair, Suffering hopelessness (in the old meaning of the color)), both also have the exact same opposite in other cultures, Red in China is associated with life giving while some in Europe associate it with Love, Blue is associated thanks to christianity with God and theirby the Good. But Neither Color can be used definitely to say which of the two alignment is the most evil, it's all about what we associate the Color, with you associated Red with what I mentioned earlier (Destruction Hate blah blah) and theirfore you find Red to be the most Evil of the two, which brings forward the point I made right from the beginning of this discussion, that we (as Players) do what we find to be the most evil of the two, and that there is no Canon on what of the two is the most evil.

quote:
Lennart Sas: Overlord is a parody on the rise of the evil overlord. However, in the original we got feedback that the game was not quite evil enough to suit the taste of the gaming public (sign of the times) and that the choices seemed to be between good and evil. In Overlord II we include Tyranny choices that are between Domination and Destruction - cold-hearted enslavement versus demonic destruction.

quote:
Lennart Sas: In the new world ruled by the Empire, the heir to the Dark Throne grows up as a misunderstood and hard to manage ADHD kid. He is soon contacted by the last surviving of his daddy’s minions. From the hidden Minions Burrows, the new Overlord emerges to harness the dark powers magic to fight the rule of the most despicable Empire and fulfil his dark destiny.

The Minion Burrows turn into a Hades-like Netherworld. He finds secluded magical sanctuaries to steal the remaining magic from fairies and elves alike. Minion Guerrilla attacks turns into a full-scale minion assault against the heart of the Glorious Empire. As the Netherworld Grows, it undermines the world above. Our new Overlord will have determined his new world. There are no good vs. evil choices this time, but the choices are between Domination and Destruction. Enslavement versus Scorched Earth. Nobody said ruling the world was a walk in the park!

Your Choice not theirs.

Last edited by Utrigita on Jul 20th, 2009 at 11:39 AM

Old Post Jul 20th, 2009 11:25 AM
Burning thought
Restricted

Account Restricted

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Utrigita
In a screen that shows the alignment towards Domination ore Destruction? No it isn't the Colors could have been Orange and Purple and still their would have been no doubt in oure minds that one of the two was more Evil then the other , but you decide which is the most Evil. To say that because one of the Colors are Red and the Other is blue then automatically Destruction is the most evil is to entirely misunderstand the concept of the game's tyranny system imho. Even if we look at what the Colors means we are left with Red (death, Destruction, Chaos) and Blue (Despair, Suffering hopelessness (in the old meaning of the color)), both also have the exact same opposite in other cultures, Red in China is associated with life giving while some in Europe associate it with Love, Blue is associated thanks to christianity with God and theirby the Good. But Neither Color can be used definitely to say which of the two alignment is the most evil, it's all about what we associate the Color, with you associated Red with what I mentioned earlier (Destruction Hate blah blah) and theirfore you find Red to be the most Evil of the two, which brings forward the point I made right from the beginning of this discussion, that we (as Players) do what we find to be the most evil of the two, and that there is no Canon on what of the two is the most evil.

Your Choice not theirs.

If it was orange and purple it would not be as obvious, but an angelic white vs a demonic blood red and obviously the white would seem more aligned with being good or in this case "less evil". Obvioulsy however in this case its light blue vs dark red, the colours are important just like the rest of a display. If the choice was not between "evil" or "very evil" I would say that neither dominion or death is necesserily worse than the other. Then it would be down to the players if the game did not immedialtey point out that theres "evil" and then "very evil" so one is worse than the other by the games standard.

You would have to ask yourself, what country the game was made in wouldnt you, because it seems to me that blue is typically bent towards good far more so than red. The same system is used in a lot of games like fable for instance, red and fire is evil, blue/white is good.

My choice to choose which I would prefer to do, but not which is more evil.

http://www.codemasters.co.uk/games/...itory=EnglishUK

quote:
Controlling a mysterious figure that has inherited the legacy of the evil, long-dead Overlord, the player emerges, near death, from the ruins of the old Overlord’s Dark Tower. Only the player’s actions will determine if they will rise to become the new all-powerful Overlord; it’s all down to how much of a bad ass they want to be in order to succeed...evil or really evil! Played out with plenty of black humour and dark irony, the game will immerse players in twisted parodies of classic fantasy scenarios and characters.

Last edited by Burning thought on Jul 20th, 2009 at 12:43 PM

Old Post Jul 20th, 2009 12:40 PM
Utrigita

Originally posted by Burning thought
If it was orange and purple it would not be as obvious, but an angelic white vs a demonic blood red and obviously the white would seem more aligned with being good or in this case "less evil". Obvioulsy however in this case its light blue vs dark red, the colours are important just like the rest of a display. If the choice was not between "evil" or "very evil" I would say that neither dominion or death is necesserily worse than the other. Then it would be down to the players if the game did not immedialtey point out that theres "evil" and then "very evil" so one is worse than the other by the games standard.

You would have to ask yourself, what country the game was made in wouldnt you, because it seems to me that blue is typically bent towards good far more so than red. The same system is used in a lot of games like fable for instance, red and fire is evil, blue/white is good.

My choice to choose which I would prefer to do, but not which is more evil.

http://www.codemasters.co.uk/games/...itory=EnglishUK

White can too symbolise Destruction/evil (in form of nothingness, hollow, etc), just like Red can symbolise Love, affection etc. It is ultimately what you connect with the Colors that makes you determind which of the two is the most Evil, the Colors itself isn't determining whether you are the Evil ore Very Evil Character, only your actions which ultimately is your choice decide that. It is ultimately up too you to choice which of the two you find to be the most Evil, the game take no stand on the subject as I already pointed out in the quotes above where the Developers clearly gives you the Choice between them while they themselves takes no side.

I'm very sure that the Developers if they tried to highlight Destruction as the most Evil would have choosed a color that symbolised it perfectly like Black. True but that doesn't change the real world fact that Red can be connected with as much positive thoughts as Blue can be connected with Negative Thoughts.

Then you defer from me, In Overlord II I do what I find to be the most evil of the choices given.

Old Post Jul 20th, 2009 12:57 PM
Burning thought
Restricted

Account Restricted

White can too symbolise Destruction/evil (in form of nothingness, hollow, etc), just like Red can symbolise Love, affection etc. It is ultimately what you connect with the Colors that makes you determind which of the two is the most Evil, the Colors itself isn't determining whether you are the Evil ore Very Evil Character, only your actions which ultimately is your choice decide that. It is ultimately up too you to choice which of the two you find to be the most Evil, the game take no stand on the subject as I already pointed out in the quotes above where the Developers clearly gives you the Choice between them while they themselves takes no side.

I'm very sure that the Developers if they tried to highlight Destruction as the most Evil would have choosed a color that symbolised it perfectly like Black. True but that doesn't change the real world fact that Red can be connected with as much positive thoughts as Blue can be connected with Negative Thoughts.

Then you defer from me, In Overlord II I do what I find to be the most evil of the choices given.

They give you the choice what actions to take, they dont give you the choice of which is worse than the other, that is shown in the colours, with blue representing dominance as better choice than full red, evil.

Depends in what stance, your not going to connect the red in overlord with love are you? or the blue with hollowness, i think your reaching a little here, the game is under the idea of "evil" and "very evil" so immedialtey the developers have a decision on what is more evil or not. Its a bit far to think they would use red to symbolise something less evil than blue.

personally I just killed because I feel you get more resources from it.

Old Post Jul 20th, 2009 01:08 PM
Utrigita

Originally posted by Burning thought
They give you the choice what actions to take, they dont give you the choice of which is worse than the other, that is shown in the colours, with blue representing dominance as better choice than full red, evil.

Depends in what stance, your not going to connect the red in overlord with love are you? or the blue with hollowness, i think your reaching a little here, the game is under the idea of "evil" and "very evil" so immedialtey the developers have a decision on what is more evil or not. Its a bit far to think they would use red to symbolise something less evil than blue.

personally I just killed because I feel you get more resources from it.

Your actions (ore mine atleast) is ultimately affected by what you find to be the most evil choice, if you isn't doing what you find to be most evil then imo you isn't playing the right game. So you believe that the developers which have talked alot about free choice thinks that when you are a Dominion Overlord you are less evil then a Destruction Overlord???

No and why you connect blue with good in a game where good is hiding in a cornor I simply can't understand. It was White I connected with Hollow, not Blue. No the Developers have no influence on what the gamer sees as the most evil of the two, evil is a term that is being interpreted differently on by each person, some thinks that Taliban is the good guys some doesn't. Theirfore to draw the conclusion that because they choose to show the alignment of Destruction in the same Color as the Blood that will flow from the Victims doesn't make it more Evil then Blue the color of your lightning that forces People into mindless thralls. This is again you drawing the conclusion that Destruction is more Evil then Domination not the developers, you are ofcause entitled to believe that Destruction > Domination, I just isn't interested in people reading this respect thread to be under the impression that the most evil have already been picked from the very beginning of the game which it hasn't from my point of view.

That is your choice.

Old Post Jul 20th, 2009 01:22 PM
Burning thought
Restricted

Account Restricted

Your actions (ore mine atleast) is ultimately affected by what you find to be the most evil choice, if you isn't doing what you find to be most evil then imo you isn't playing the right game. So you believe that the developers which have talked alot about free choice thinks that when you are a Dominion Overlord you are less evil then a Destruction Overlord???

No and why you connect blue with good in a game where good is hiding in a cornor I simply can't understand. It was White I connected with Hollow, not Blue. No the Developers have no influence on what the gamer sees as the most evil of the two, evil is a term that is being interpreted differently on by each person, some thinks that Taliban is the good guys some doesn't. Theirfore to draw the conclusion that because they choose to show the alignment of Destruction in the same Color as the Blood that will flow from the Victims doesn't make it more Evil then Blue the color of your lightning that forces People into mindless thralls. This is again you drawing the conclusion that Destruction is more Evil then Domination not the developers, you are ofcause entitled to believe that Destruction > Domination, I just isn't interested in people reading this respect thread to be under the impression that the most evil have already been picked from the very beginning of the game which it hasn't from my point of view.

That is your choice.

Well no I dont just think that, the developers do, one is more evil than the other to the developers as their official site quite clearly says. In this case, its domination.

I said blue is typically connected with good, thus why blue is in this game the symbol for domination, as the developers and I said above they have evil and very evil, obvioulsy blue being the less negative colour is for just "evil" which is domination.

interpretation is irrelvent in other countries or by what peoples, we can decide what is more evil but not within the game, the game already decides for us which is more evil and thats destruction.

Well if we look at the game itself, every time you choose to kill someone ,your rating goes more red (theres no way in this game their using red for anything more postiive, espeically not with blue present) and an evil malicious laugh resounds around the area.....have you played as domination yet because if it does not have the malicious laugh then that would be more concrete evidence that domination is seen as less evil.

Old Post Jul 20th, 2009 01:30 PM
ArtificialGlory
God-Emperor of Eternity

I was always under the impression that killing was supposed to be 'very evil'.

Old Post Jul 20th, 2009 01:46 PM
ArtificialGlory is currently offline Click here to Send ArtificialGlory a Private Message Find more posts by ArtificialGlory Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote