KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Computer / Video Games Discussion » Games 'Versus' Forum » Games 'Respect' Forum » The BFG 9000

The BFG 9000
Started by: Snafu the Great

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Snafu the Great
Jerkass Woobie

The BFG 9000

(please log in to view the image)

It's known by many names...

Bio Force Gun. Big Fragging Gun. Big Freakin' Gun. Big Fvcking Gun.

But it's pretty effective against the denziens of Hell, as our beloved Space Marine (aka Doomguy) finds out. One shot from this bastard and you'll turn many a demon into red paste.

Respect the awesomeness and badass-ness that is the BFG 9000.

The BFG9000 appears as a large, solid metal gun which fires large balls of green plasma. For general purposes it can be considered the most powerful weapon in the game; it is capable of destroying nearly any player or monster with a single shot.

The abbreviation BFG stands for big f-cking gun, as explained in section 14 of the Doom Bible. Other expansions of the name were attributed to it before that document was made public, notably "big fragging gun". Characters in the Doom novels refer to the BFG as a "big freaking gun". In the Doom movie, BFG officially stands for "Bio Force Gun", although Sarge calls it a "big f-cking gun".

The BFG first appears in a secret area of E3M3: Pandemonium, and again in secret areas of three of the next four levels. It is eventually found in a non-secret area in the expanded version, in E4M5: They Will Repent. When picked up, the BFG contains 40 energy cell units (80 on the "I'm too young to die" and "Nightmare!" skill levels). It expends 40 energy cell units per shot.

When the trigger is pulled, there is a pause of 30 tics (about 0.857 seconds) before a green and white plasma ball is ejected. If the large plasma ball hits a solid object, it explodes and causes 100-800 hit points of damage to the target, in round multiples of 100.

After a further pause of 16 tics (about 0.457 seconds), additional damage is calculated: 40 invisible tracer rays are emitted by the player in a cone-shaped area (about 45° half-angle) in the direction the plasma ball was fired. (If the player has turned around, the direction of the rays does not change — they are still traced in the direction of firing of the original plasma ball. If he has moved to another location, their origin moves along with him.) Each ray causes 49-87 points of damage if it hits a solid object within 1024 map units. Even cyberdemons and spiderdemons, which are immune to blast damage, are affected by these rays.

Therefore, the minimal damage of the weapon is 49 points (if an object is hit by one ray and not the plasma ball) and, hypothetically, the maximal damage is 800 + (40 × 87) = 4280 points (if the plasma ball hits an object for full damage and all 40 tracers also hit the object for full damage). However, even should all 40 rays and the energy ball hit a single target, that much damage can still never actually be inflicted due to the periodicity of the simplistic pseudorandom number generator used by the Doom engine.

Contrary to section 3H of the BFG FAQ, the tracer code does not include horizontal auto-aiming (although, like any bullet attack, each tracer can auto-aim vertically).

Chuck Norris learned his trademark move, along with his sense of duty and justice, from Jesus after watching Him roundhouse kick a money changer out of the temple.

Last edited by Snafu the Great on Sep 5th, 2009 at 02:24 AM

Old Post Sep 5th, 2009 02:21 AM
Snafu the Great is currently offline Click here to Send Snafu the Great a Private Message Find more posts by Snafu the Great Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ridley_Prime
Smug icon slayer

A weapon getting a respect thread? Err.. okay.

Contrary to popular belief though, it's not the strongest/most powerful weapon in the Doom series. The Soul Cube (Doom 3) and Soul Stone (Doom 3: Resurrection of Evil) easily surpass it, not to mention the Unmaker from Doom 64.

And I don't like how the BFG was portrayed in the movie, being only used like once and in a stupid way stick out tongue, but most of us know the movie sucked anyhow.

Old Post Sep 6th, 2009 12:54 AM
Ridley_Prime is currently offline Click here to Send Ridley_Prime a Private Message Find more posts by Ridley_Prime Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Snafu the Great
Jerkass Woobie

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Ridley_Prime
A weapon getting a respect thread? Err.. okay.

Contrary to popular belief though, it's not the strongest/most powerful weapon in the Doom series. The Soul Cube (Doom 3) and Soul Stone (Doom 3: Resurrection of Evil) easily surpass it, not to mention the Unmaker from Doom 64.

And I don't like how the BFG was portrayed in the movie, being only used like once and in a stupid way stick out tongue, but most of us know the movie sucked anyhow.

So what's wrong with giving credit where it's due? I've also done respect threads on Silent Hill and the T-virus. The BFG is the granddaddy of powerful weapons.

And I agree with you on the movie. As much as I like Dwayne Johnson (The Rock), the movie could have been better if they actually followed the game's storyline.

Prior to the release of Doom 3 and the RoE, the BFG is the post powerful weapon.

Chuck Norris learned his trademark move, along with his sense of duty and justice, from Jesus after watching Him roundhouse kick a money changer out of the temple.

Old Post Sep 6th, 2009 01:57 AM
Snafu the Great is currently offline Click here to Send Snafu the Great a Private Message Find more posts by Snafu the Great Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nemesis X
Cynical Tyrant

We can actually post respect threads for a weapon? If Screampaste learns of this, he'll be talking about the Master Sword for a week laughing out loud

Thanks Scythe for the sig.

Old Post Sep 6th, 2009 02:12 AM
Nemesis X is currently offline Click here to Send Nemesis X a Private Message Find more posts by Nemesis X Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ridley_Prime
Smug icon slayer

Ah, okay. I don't have any problems with this thread, so don't get me wrong. Just didn't know you could have respect threads for weapons, as I thought it only pertained to characters. >.>

But yeah, the BFG is pretty awesome. Not sure whether I like its effect/design better in the first two games or Doom 3. Both versions are pretty tight. Also look forward to a possible new version of it in Doom 4, whenever that's coming out.

And were some saying earlier that Master Chief could survive a shot from this thing? I forget.

edit:
@ Nemesis: lol yeah. That's for sure.
This gives me an idea for some possible future threads as well.
Also, in before someone makes a thread for the Spartan Laser.

Last edited by Ridley_Prime on Sep 6th, 2009 at 02:17 AM

Old Post Sep 6th, 2009 02:13 AM
Ridley_Prime is currently offline Click here to Send Ridley_Prime a Private Message Find more posts by Ridley_Prime Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Snafu the Great
Jerkass Woobie

Ah, okay. I don't have any problems with this thread, so don't get me wrong. Just didn't know you could have respect threads for weapons, as I thought it only pertained to characters. >.>

But yeah, the BFG is pretty awesome. Not sure whether I like its effect/design better in the first two games or Doom 3. Both versions are pretty tight. Also look forward to a possible new version of it in Doom 4, whenever that's coming out.

And were some saying earlier that Master Chief could survive a shot from this thing? I forget.

edit:
@ Nemesis: lol yeah. That's for sure.
This gives me an idea for some possible future threads as well.
Also, in before someone makes a thread for the Spartan Laser.

Some gamers tend to forget that if it wasn't for Wolfenstein (which came out WAY before Doom) and Doom itself, then we would not have Halo to begin with.

You gotta truly appreciate the classics in order to understand the new shit, IMO.

Old Post Sep 6th, 2009 03:06 AM
Darkstorm Zero
Master of all Decepticons

Truth

"I have become Death, the destroyer of worlds..."

Old Post Sep 6th, 2009 06:07 AM
Darkstorm Zero is currently offline Click here to Send Darkstorm Zero a Private Message Find more posts by Darkstorm Zero Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ridley_Prime
Smug icon slayer

Indeed. thumb up

Old Post Sep 6th, 2009 08:18 AM
Neo Darkhalen
Mission zero

Originally posted by Snafu the Great
Some gamers tend to forget that if it wasn't for Wolfenstein (which came out WAY before Doom) and Doom itself, then we would not have Halo to begin with.

You gotta truly appreciate the classics in order to understand the new shit, IMO.

This speaks so much truth that I'm going to profile it.

Old Post Sep 6th, 2009 01:02 PM
Neo Darkhalen is currently offline Click here to Send Neo Darkhalen a Private Message Find more posts by Neo Darkhalen Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ridley_Prime
Smug icon slayer

Is this one badass mother****ing gun or what?

Old Post Sep 7th, 2009 01:20 AM
Nemesis X
Cynical Tyrant

Good, bad, he's the Doomguy with the Big ******* Gun cool

Thanks Scythe for the sig.

Old Post Sep 7th, 2009 01:24 AM
Nemesis X is currently offline Click here to Send Nemesis X a Private Message Find more posts by Nemesis X Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Snafu the Great
Jerkass Woobie

Is this one badass mother****ing gun or what?

Holy crap. Doomguy just sent this joker into LEO. Wonder if he can do the same with Master Chief.

Old Post Sep 7th, 2009 02:33 AM
Snafu the Great
Jerkass Woobie

BFG 9000 came in third. Freakin' Gravity Gun from Half-Life came in first. At least Gametrailers recognises the awesomeness that is the BFG.

But G4 labeled it as No.1 in its top 10.

Last edited by Snafu the Great on Sep 7th, 2009 at 02:59 AM

Old Post Sep 7th, 2009 02:49 AM
Ridley_Prime
Smug icon slayer

Holy crap. Doomguy just sent this joker into LEO.

That was a Hell Knight. Quite a formidable demon, but even it is no match for the BFG. big grin

Also, I found this rather interesting.

And witness what the BFG can do on the last level of Final Doom (Nightmare mode).

That's one hell of a level (no pun intended)...

BFG can also easily take out over 6000 Imps in a short time stick out tongue (skip to around the middle part).

Gotta love them Doom hacks.

BFG 9000 came in third. Freakin' Gravity Gun from Half-Life came in first. At least Gametrailers recognises the awesomeness that is the BFG.

But G4 labeled it as No.1 in its top 10.

Nice... thumb up

Old Post Sep 7th, 2009 04:35 AM