KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movies » Movie Discussion » Movie Versus Forum » John McClane VS Martin Riggs

John McClane VS Martin Riggs
Started by: Sado22

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (33): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Sado22
Restricted

Account Restricted

John Maclaine (die hard) VS Martin Riggs (lethal weapon)

Maclaine thinks he's solo again in another hijacking incident. but he's not alone. Riggs is also in the building but unfortunately for both loose canons, neither knows the other is a cop and both are the shoot first, ask questions later variety. Both are armed with their usual Berreta92s and are on the top floors of the highrise. lots of cover.

there are two parts to it:
-gun fight
-fist fight

who wins?

Old Post Dec 30th, 2008 07:15 PM
Sado22 is currently offline Click here to Send Sado22 a Private Message Find more posts by Sado22 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jinXed by JaNx

McClane for both both, the man is a fvckin legend.

Great set up though, just to bad it's so one sided laughing out loud

Old Post Dec 30th, 2008 10:11 PM
jinXed by JaNx is currently offline Click here to Send jinXed by JaNx a Private Message Find more posts by jinXed by JaNx Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
steverules_2

Maclaine is winning this, dude took down a buncha terrorists by himself and damn he did it well big grin I love die hard

I'm Bada's pimp

I created Raptor Bada, Donald, and Sparkles

Old Post Dec 30th, 2008 10:43 PM
steverules_2 is currently offline Click here to Send steverules_2 a Private Message Find more posts by steverules_2 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Snafu the Great
Jerkass Woobie

Chuck Norris learned his trademark move, along with his sense of duty and justice, from Jesus after watching Him roundhouse kick a money changer out of the temple.

Old Post Dec 30th, 2008 11:55 PM
Snafu the Great is currently offline Click here to Send Snafu the Great a Private Message Find more posts by Snafu the Great Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jinXed by JaNx

Yeah, McClane eats terrorists for breakfast and shits out middle fingers by lunch time, which conveiniently enough, he uses to disrespect his boss'

McClane took out an entire building of bad guys, Dude was inside of an airplane that expladed, he took down an airplane full of terrorists while saving an entire airport and a sky full people. Shit, i even gotten to thie third movie yet and i haven't finished his feats from the horrible, but classic Die Hard 2. Don't even make me talk about the time McClane dropped a fighter jet with a semi truck laughing out loud

what has Riggs done again...,killed a couple bad guys and drove a car really fast through traffic? Oh, i forgot, he can also get out of straight jackets laughing
As much as i love Riggs, this match is like asking, who is cooler,Clint Eastwood or Tobey Maguire ?

and stop saying McClaine it's..,McClane god dammit wink

Old Post Dec 31st, 2008 12:03 AM
jinXed by JaNx is currently offline Click here to Send jinXed by JaNx a Private Message Find more posts by jinXed by JaNx Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sado22
Restricted

Account Restricted

people, Maclane (happy?) is a great cop and an undeniable legend. but this isn't a popularity contest. between the two i also think Maclane is cooler and WAY more popular but look at their experience.

Maclane:
-cop training
-has an odd luck of being stuck with terrorists in buildings, cities or airports.
-no MA training

Riggs:
-vietnam vet
-MA expert
-"certified lethal weapon"
-sniper training
-black ops
-IMO better endurance

when it comes to experience, Riggs>Maclane. Maclane has a chance against Riggs in a gunfight but IMO he's going down hard in a h2h fight. Riggs took down war vets and even smacked around Jet Li when he went berserk. and compared to what: Maclane getting smacked around by a skinny asian chick?
honestly, Maclane was not much of a fighter. in both Diehard and Diehard 2 he had trouble with just one terrorist flunkie h2h, while Riggs was taking down several by himself and even the main bad guys on his own.
and if Riggs goes berserk.....Maclane is in a world of hurt.

Gunfight: Riggs 6/10
H2h: Riggs 9/10

~Sado

Old Post Dec 31st, 2008 10:19 AM
Sado22 is currently offline Click here to Send Sado22 a Private Message Find more posts by Sado22 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Placidity
Chief Executive Officer

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Sado22
people, Maclane (happy?)

It's McClane...

He does strike me as a character who has feats based on luck more so than true skill though.

Old Post Dec 31st, 2008 10:30 AM
Placidity is currently offline Click here to Send Placidity a Private Message Find more posts by Placidity Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jinXed by JaNx

people, Maclane (happy?) is a great cop and an undeniable legend. but this isn't a popularity contest. between the two i also think Maclane is cooler and WAY more popular but look at their experience.

Maclane:
-cop training
-has an odd luck of being stuck with terrorists in buildings, cities or airports.
-no MA training

Riggs:
-vietnam vet
-MA expert
-sniper training
-black ops
-IMO better endurance

when it comes to experience, Riggs>Maclane. Maclane has a chance against Riggs in a gunfight but IMO he's going down hard in a h2h fight. Riggs took down war vets and even smacked around Jet Li when he went berserk. and compared to what: Maclane getting smacked around by a skinny asian chick?
honestly, Maclane was not much of a fighter. in both Diehard and Diehard 2 he had trouble with just one terrorist flunkie h2h, while Riggs was taking down several by himself and even the main bad guys on his own.

~Sado

Dude, i would say that your argument has some weight but consider some of the terrorists that McClane has dispatched. Special forces, mercenaries and ex spies. McClane never takes down just one badass villain he is taking down five at a time and sometimes a boat or plane full. Riggs is a montster, for sure but McClane is simply on another plane.

I think it's pretty god damn safe to say that John McClane has achieved "lethal weapon" status. The fact that McClane is as badass as he is without ever having the training that Riggs went through speaks volumes about his natural ability to make shit dead and survive. And dude, how can you say that Riggs has better endurance...,did you see any of the Die Hard movies? In the first movie he is constantly running up a skyscraper while getting into fist fights and gun fights, oh yeah and he did all of that whilst having bloody and eviscerated feet. In Die Hard 3 he raced back and forth New York city, constantly stopping terrorist attacks.

Old Post Dec 31st, 2008 10:37 AM
steverules_2

Originally posted by ragesRemorse
Dude, i would say that your argument has some weight but consider some of the terrorists that McClane has dispatched. Special forces, mercenaries and ex spies. McClane never takes down just one badass villain he is taking down five at a time and sometimes a boat or plane full. Riggs is a montster, for sure but McClane is simply on another plane.

I think it's pretty god damn safe to say that John McClane has achieved "lethal weapon" status. The fact that McClane is as badass as he is without ever having the training that Riggs went through speaks volumes about his natural ability to make shit dead and survive. And dude, how can you say that Riggs has better endurance...,did you see any of the Die Hard movies? In the first movie he is constantly running up a skyscraper while getting into fist fights and gun fights, oh yeah and he did all of that whilst having bloody and eviscerated feet. In Die Hard 3 he raced back and forth New York city, constantly stopping terrorist attacks.

His feet were fine until they shot the glass....those bastards

I remember that first terrorist he killed when he fell down some stairs with him and broke the guys neck and then he tried on the guys shoes and complains about how out of all the terrorists in the world he had to get the one with smaller feet than his laughing out loud

I'm Bada's pimp

Old Post Dec 31st, 2008 12:03 PM
steverules_2 is currently offline Click here to Send steverules_2 a Private Message Find more posts by steverules_2 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sadako of Girth
Extreme Mode

Maclane:
-cop training
-no MA training

Riggs:
-vietnam vet
-MA expert
-sniper training
-black ops
-IMO better endurance

~Sado

McClane is no airs and graces form-obsessed fighter, but those powerful straight shots kicks and hooks are generally all he has needed ever.

He has the creative thinking and luck to turn it around too:
Yeah that skinny asian chick was using MA and wound up very nicely "with a truck up her ass" for her troubles too.

Beware a mad Riggs..? Well what McClain's "going berserk"...? Chopped liver...?
Never mess with McClane when he has a bad hangover.

McClains endurance cannot be questioned. He looks like hammered shit at the end of his battles, but so does Riggs.

The 'certified lethal weapon' thing was just a throwaway (after youve named the movie after it) half serious line from Murtaugh and would fall under your 'MMA training' bullet point anyhow.

And how often did Riggs use that sniper's rifle on screen...?
And didnt he get caught whilst doing it during that one time...?

McClane's thing is more to shoot you repeatedly in the balls (through
a table!!!!) and then make the kind of sarcastic comment that you'd wish you were still alive to refute.

F*** being beaten by McClane. Its not the pain... but the fear of being beaten like that AND joked about like that in front of whoever.
'Cause McClane has the best verbal abuse and sense of humour.
He'd humiliate you more whilst you a forced off of your mortal coil.

Oh Riggs is so much better cause he is tough enough to have killed killed war vets...?
Look what McClane'll do to a whole lift of armed killers in DH3.
Look at how many special forces guys he killed in DH2.
Way more than Riggs managed in LW1.
Was Karl in DH1 not a trained killer...?

Riggs used a cop car to break a wall in the front room of the Murtaugh family home at xmas.

McClane uses cars to shoot down helicopters.

Excellent Vs thread, btw. smile

"Van Zan is the Pinocchio of feces." - Lestov16

Last edited by Sadako of Girth on Dec 31st, 2008 at 12:32 PM

Old Post Dec 31st, 2008 12:27 PM
Sadako of Girth is currently offline Click here to Send Sadako of Girth a Private Message Find more posts by Sadako of Girth Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Placidity
Chief Executive Officer

Originally posted by Sadako of Girth

He has the creative thinking and luck to turn it around too:
Yeah that skinny asian chick was using MA and wound up very nicely "with a truck up her ass" for her troubles too.

Cmon dude, she threw a few weak-ass white-belt level kicks.

Old Post Dec 31st, 2008 12:45 PM
Placidity is currently offline Click here to Send Placidity a Private Message Find more posts by Placidity Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sadako of Girth
Extreme Mode

And paid with her life with an amusing automotive proctology session..

Karl in DH1 had more success cause he didnt fight like that.

(She used more than just kicks, although MA vs real world, McClaine's shorter-more-to-the-point techniques often will be the more effective, rather than big Bruce Lee Manga Matrix style moves anyhow. If it was real life, she'd have been sparked out after the 1st clean shot by McClane. Her only real 'advantage' there was speed.)

Last edited by Sadako of Girth on Dec 31st, 2008 at 12:52 PM

Old Post Dec 31st, 2008 12:48 PM
Sadako of Girth is currently offline Click here to Send Sadako of Girth a Private Message Find more posts by Sadako of Girth Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Rogue Jedi
Restricted

Account Restricted

Riggs pwns in both scenarios. He fought Jet Li and dealt a significant amount of damage. Sure, if Murtaugh had not intervened and made a shiskabob outta Jet Li, Riggs might have been beaten, but how well would McLaine have done? We saw in Die Hard 2 what happens when McLaine takes on a trained martial artist, he gets pwned. Not to mention Maggie Q pwning his ass in 4. And remember in Lethal Weapon 2 when Riggs comes out of the water and kills those two germans in seconds hand to hand?

And a gun battle? Riggs is a deadeye. McLaine justs points his weapon in the general direction of the bad guys and unloads. if you watch the directors cut of Lethal Weapon, Riggs takes on a sniper and blasts him from like 50 to 60 feet away with his Beretta.

Also, what someone mentioned earlier:

Maclane:
-cop training
-no MA training

Riggs:
-vietnam vet
-MA expert
-sniper training
-black ops
-IMO better endurance

All the ways you wish you could be, that's me. I look like you wanna look, I **** like you wanna ****, I am smart, capable, and most importantly, I am free in all the ways that you are not.

Old Post Dec 31st, 2008 02:24 PM
Rogue Jedi is currently offline Click here to Send Rogue Jedi a Private Message Find more posts by Rogue Jedi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sado22
Restricted

Account Restricted

quote:
It's McClane...

damn it sad

quote:
He does strike me as a character who has feats based on luck more so than true skill though.

ditto.

quote:
Dude, i would say that your argument has some weight but consider some of the terrorists that McClane has dispatched. Special forces, mercenaries and ex spies.

and how many of them did he kill in a direct gunfight without help?
diehard one, he had trouble taking down ONE terrorist in a straight fight and only got lucky cuz when they fell down the stairs the guy snapped his neck. it wasn't skill on McClane's part but luck. and that guy was no vietnam vet, black orps and certified lethal weapon but still McClane was having trouble. in DH2 again he was having trouble with just one guy and in DH1, when the second main bad guy and he got into a tussle, John only survived because he got lucky again. and need i mention one more time that McClane was getting smacked around by ONE girl.
Riggs was stalemating Jet Li during his berserker rage in LW4.....and by then he was "too old for this shite".
Riggs>John in h2h.

quote:
McClane never takes down just one badass villain he is taking down five at a time and sometimes a boat or plane full. Riggs is a montster, for sure but McClane is simply on another plane.

i'm not taking anything from McClane's survival instinct and determination. he's one of my all-time favorite movie characters. Riggs took down the entire South African cartel at the end of Lethal Weapon2 and he was doing it solo for the most part of it, Martaugh only took down a few of them. in Lethal Weapon3, Riggs again took down an entire cartel. heck, he had his home raided with a whole platoon of soldiers and even a chopper while he was having sex and he killed them all and escaped (lethal weapon2). at least John was never the target (aside from DH3 where Simon was only toying with him and could've killed him at any point if he wanted to) and that has always been his biggest luck= the bad guys never see HIM coming.
DH, no one was counting on him being there. and its not that he took on ALL the soldiers at one time. he was fighting 3-4 people at max. same in DH2 and the same in DH3. compare that to Riggs who literally walked inside the room of the main badguy in LW2, smacked around his heavily armed guards without even firing a shot and walked out clean. he did that again in LW3 where he took down several minions usig plain h2h. Mclane couldn't take down ONE.

quote:
I think it's pretty god damn safe to say that John McClane has achieved "lethal weapon" status. The fact that McClane is as badass as he is without ever having the training that Riggs went through speaks volumes about his natural ability to make shit dead and survive.
John has no h2h feats though.

quote:
And dude, how can you say that Riggs has better endurance...did you see any of the Die Hard movies?

Diehard=8 times
Diehard2=4 times
Diehard3=7times
Diehard4=2times

Lethal Weapon=5 times
Lethal Weapon2=12 times (one of my fav movies, sue me)
Lethal Weapon3 =3 times
Lethal Weapon4=6 times

quote:
In the first movie he is constantly running up a skyscraper while getting into fist fights and gun fights, oh yeah and he did all of that whilst having bloody and eviscerated feet. In Die Hard 3 he raced back and forth New York city, constantly stopping terrorist attacks.

i'm talking endurance. not stamina. and John got lots of rest time. in fact, at times he could go up to long times without getting into fights. the most trauma John has taken is getting glass in his feet and a couple of stitches. his only really impressive endurance feat was surviving the train wreck in DH3 which was very cool.

Riggs:
-dislocated his shoulder (Lethal Weapon1)
-Electricuted for long periods of time
-tied up and beaten the hell out of
-dragged 15blocks on a road
-nearly drowned
-fallen several stories
-shot several times (on the back, chest, stomach and he even mentions that one bullet was in his lungs)
-several car crashes
and right after all of them he just went ahead and started fighting. heck after getting beaten up badly and electrocuted for hours, he escaped, killed most of the badguys in building without any places to hide and use for cover, saved Martaugh and his daughter, chased after the badguy's car across town, got into more gunfights, and then got into a h2h fight with the main badguy>>John having getting plenty of places to hide (even having enough time to talk to the cop) and never having to take on more than 5 guys at a time with lots of places for cover.

~Sado

Old Post Dec 31st, 2008 03:24 PM
Sadako of Girth
Extreme Mode

I discounted the 'Lethal Weapon' bit.
It was just Murtaugh's line/opinion.
The Weapon would not have been anyless Lethal if McClane had been in it. The death toll would have been if anything much higher.

McClane wastes more motherf***ers. Period. stick out tongue

Riggs gets owned too at various points in the films.

And what good is Jungle combat experience against McClane in a non-jungle envioronment...?

Yeah I prefer the directors cut.
He also nearly gets his ass shot clean off letting the (not very good) sniper give his position away, the takes a nice long aim and has to empty his clip. It wasnt a first shot hitting the guy situation.

And McClanes list is woefully short there. Its should be more like:

Cop Training.
Experienced in anti-terrorism.
Experienced in hand to hand combat.
(with numerous victories against MMAers, Special Forces, Mercenaries, huge great hulks etc)
Argueably more prolific a killer on the battlefield than Riggs:
Killed a dangerous international group of thieves mercs and killers in LA.
Killed A drugbaron dictator, a group of terrorists demanding his release, another highly trained squad of Pentagon Special forces
along with half of the structure of Dulles airport.
Killed a second larger, more organised crew of Terrorists/robbers
all over New York.. and maybe that mime.
Killed more people up and down the eastern seaboard than Riggs and Murtaugh did in LW 1 and 4 combined.
He has also taken out Cars, Trucks, Helicopters, Military fighter Jets, Large passenger jets, even the lower floors of Nakatomi towers with that C4... anything to get his opponent in a gratuitously violent manner that scores as much colateral damage as possible.

And McClane did the killing himself.

Also, its worth noting that they both faced off against that "Endo" guy.

The Riggs approach was:
To let the guy tie him up, strip him half naked, wet him and electrocute him several times before finally he kicks Endo in the face and chokes him out with his legs.

The McClane approach was:
Open a door and shoot Endo 6 times before he could say a word.

Nuff said. stick out tongue

Great thread, BTW.

I had thought about this before.
Especially at Xmas, when I tend to watch both the Xmas movies that are LW1 and DH1.

Last edited by Sadako of Girth on Dec 31st, 2008 at 03:35 PM

Old Post Dec 31st, 2008 03:31 PM
Sado22
Restricted

Account Restricted

quote:
Great thread, BTW.

thanks mate smile

quote:
McClane wastes more motherf***ers. Period.

how many terrorists did he kill in DH? 10? Riggs killed 10 in his torture scene. Martin kills way more than John dude.

quote:
Argueably more prolific a killer on the battlefield than Riggs

proved otherwise above.

quote:
Killed a dangerous international group of thieves mercs and killers in LA.

Riggs always takes down topnotch assassins and war criminals. even the dude he took down in 3 was the best the police had to offer.

quote:
Killed A drugbaron dictator, a group of terrorists demanding his release, another highly trained squad of Pentagon Special forces
along with half of the structure of Dulles airport.

killed political scum AND ALL his goons.

quote:
Killed a second larger, more organised crew of Terrorists/robbers
all over New York.. and maybe that mime.

which would never have happened, if Simon had decided to kill McClane the million times he had the chance but wanted to just toy with him. heck, he had him tied up but didn't kill him. that's not a feat for John as much as its a stupidity feat for Simon Gruber.

quote:
Killed more people up and down the eastern seaboard than Riggs and Murtaugh did in LW 1 and 4 combined.

you talking about DH3? he killed 2 people and got caught. in fact, he plain and simple just gave up and let them tie him up.

quote:
He has also taken out Cars, Trucks, Helicopters, Military fighter Jets, Large passenger jets, even the lower floors of Nakatomi towers with that C4... anything to get his opponent in a gratuitously violent manner that scores as much colateral damage as possible.

he destroys the bottom floor of a skyscrapper to kill 10 terrorists? While Riggs takes down 10 with a handgun.
Riggs=precise. trained. true killer
McClane=gung-ho big grin

of course, that makes John more fun to watch though and you are 100% right about the oneliners of his. that's why everyone loves John and that's if DH5 comes out people would still watch it. but these do little to make him live against someone like Riggs.

~Sado

Old Post Dec 31st, 2008 04:46 PM
steverules_2

I noticed that it was mentioned earlier that John just unloads his weapon on terrorists, thats actually wrong...remember in DH1 in the scene where he has to save his wife he was able to shoot the guy who was holding her and in the same time catch that other guy in the head, thats not unloading thats good aim so riggs may have a good aim but so does John big grin Not trying to say that makes him better than Riggs just trying to point out a fact that John can aim

I'm Bada's pimp

Old Post Dec 31st, 2008 04:59 PM
Rogue Jedi
Restricted

Account Restricted

thanks mate smile

how many terrorists did he kill in DH? 10? Riggs killed 10 in his torture scene. Martin kills way more than John dude.

proved otherwise above.

Riggs always takes down topnotch assassins and war criminals. even the dude he took down in 3 was the best the police had to offer.

killed political scum AND ALL his goons.

which would never have happened, if Simon had decided to kill McClane the million times he had the chance but wanted to just toy with him. heck, he had him tied up but didn't kill him. that's not a feat for John as much as its a stupidity feat for Simon Gruber.

you talking about DH3? he killed 2 people and got caught. in fact, he plain and simple just gave up and let them tie him up.

he destroys the bottom floor of a skyscrapper to kill 10 terrorists? While Riggs takes down 10 with a handgun.
Riggs=precise. trained. true killer
McClane=gung-ho big grin

of course, that makes John more fun to watch though and you are 100% right about the oneliners of his. that's why everyone loves John and that's if DH5 comes out people would still watch it. but these do little to make him live against someone like Riggs.

~Sado
QFT...Riggs pwns 10/10 and 10/10.

All the ways you wish you could be, that's me. I look like you wanna look, I **** like you wanna ****, I am smart, capable, and most importantly, I am free in all the ways that you are not.

Old Post Dec 31st, 2008 05:02 PM
Rogue Jedi is currently offline Click here to Send Rogue Jedi a Private Message Find more posts by Rogue Jedi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sado22
Restricted

Account Restricted

quote:
I noticed that it was mentioned earlier that John just unloads his weapon on terrorists, thats actually wrong...remember in DH1 in the scene where he has to save his wife he was able to shoot the guy who was holding her and in the same time catch that other guy in the head, thats not unloading thats good aim so riggs may have a good aim but so does John Not trying to say that makes him better than Riggs just trying to point out a fact that John can aim

good point actually.

Old Post Dec 31st, 2008 09:01 PM
Rogue Jedi
Restricted

Account Restricted

good point actually.
I meant in general, all McLaine does is point and spray. Plus dude was like ten feet away, while the sniper Riggs pwned was a good 50 to 60 feet away.

Old Post Dec 31st, 2008 09:51 PM