KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movie Franchises » Star Trek » Mr. Spock

Mr. Spock
Started by: Neo Darkhalen

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Neo Darkhalen
Mission zero

Mr. Spock

All respect this veteran of Star trek, the logical and brilliant mr. Spock, come now how can you not like him, not only is he one of the most mysterious of characters his arguments with bones are some of the greatest moments in the original star trek, and of course he gave us the Vulcan mind meld and what i can only describe as a sleeper hold.

Spock, (aka Mr. Spock) is a main character in the original Star Trek TV series, and one of the most enduring characters from American 1960s television. He is the only alien in the permanent cast: half-Vulcan, half-Human, and serves as the science officer and executive officer of the USS Enterprise, under Captain James T. Kirk.

His personal struggle between the Vulcan logical self and his human emotional self is the centerpiece of the character and created some evocative drama. He was originally portrayed by actor Leonard Nimoy (except for brief scenes of a much younger Spock in two later movies) and will be portrayed by both Zachary Quinto and Nimoy in the upcoming film Star Trek

Spock is a main character in Star Trek: The Original Series. Although initially kept "in the background" due to the concerns of NBC, he was featured in the opening credits, and quickly became a fan favorite. In the show, Spock serves as Science Officer and First Officer aboard the USS Enterprise. An episode "The Menagerie" included large segments of "The Cage", and established that Spock had served on the Enterprise for 11 years under Captain Christopher Pike before James Kirk took over as commanding officer.

A "troika" of Spock, Captain James T. Kirk, and Ship's Doctor Leonard McCoy developed. In particular, friendly banter and more intense argument between Spock and McCoy was popular amongst fans and their relationship was further developed. Part of the classic appeal of Star Trek lies in the manner in which the dialogue of these three friends mirrors the internal dialogue of the human brain. In this relationship, Spock often appears as the "superego", against Kirk's "ego" and McCoy's "id".

Various episodes of TOS revealed different facets of Spock's personality and abilities. For example, "The Omega Glory" revealed that Spock had the ability to exercise limited, short-range control over the minds of others (as well as in "By Any Other Name") — an ability never again exhibited by any Vulcan. This, combined with Spock's ability to transfer his katra, has led some to speculate that Spock possessed more advanced mental and psychic abilities than average Vulcans. TOS also revealed that Spock is an accomplished musician, adept at playing a form of Vulcan harp. He also (in "Requiem for Methuselah") displayed advanced knowledge of classical music, as well as the ability to play Earth folk tunes by ear such as "Row Row, Row Your Boat" (in Star Trek V: The Final Frontier). He also possessed enthusiasm for three-dimensional chess.

Given his skills at science, math, chess, diplomacy, unarmed combat and his apparently limitless knowledge (best seen in The Trouble with Tribbles), Spock may properly be considered a polymath.

Old Post May 1st, 2008 04:37 PM
Neo Darkhalen is currently offline Click here to Send Neo Darkhalen a Private Message Find more posts by Neo Darkhalen Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Neo Darkhalen
Mission zero

Mr. Spock

(please log in to view the image)

Old Post May 1st, 2008 04:39 PM
Neo Darkhalen is currently offline Click here to Send Neo Darkhalen a Private Message Find more posts by Neo Darkhalen Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Creshosk

He also gave us the Borg.

Still I admire that man. he's my favorite original series character.

Old Post May 1st, 2008 04:45 PM
Creshosk is currently offline Click here to Send Creshosk a Private Message Find more posts by Creshosk Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
starlock
Team Authority

Vulcan neck pinch might be a sleeper hold...not sure about the mind meld being one?

Mr Spock will always be one of my favorites, i think the movies with him and Mcoy have some really good interactions with eachother

http://www.thedeadlyaddictionschronicles.com/

Old Post May 1st, 2008 04:57 PM
starlock is currently offline Click here to Send starlock a Private Message Find more posts by starlock Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Neo Darkhalen
Mission zero

Yeah i meant those two as separate ability's.

Old Post May 1st, 2008 05:08 PM
DethRose
Owl Girl

Have any of you ever read Vulcan's Forge and Vulcan's Heart? They are both about Mr. Spock. I cried when Spock died in The Wrath Of Khan.

Last edited by DethRose on May 1st, 2008 at 05:40 PM

Old Post May 1st, 2008 05:35 PM
DethRose is currently offline Click here to Send DethRose a Private Message Find more posts by DethRose Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Acrosurge
Lumine Infinitus

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Neo Darkhalen
Yeah i meant those two as separate ability's.
Well, actually Spock's neck pinch isn't a sleeper. A sleeper cuts off the blood supply to the brain, resulting in unconsciousness. Spock's move simply and near-instantly disrupts the nervous system, also resulting in unconsciousness. So, you see, they aren't the same--

*shot with phaser*

Still fighting,
Acrosurge

Old Post May 1st, 2008 06:24 PM
Acrosurge is currently offline Click here to Send Acrosurge a Private Message Find more posts by Acrosurge Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Neo Darkhalen
Mission zero

erm

Not going to bother.

Old Post May 1st, 2008 06:30 PM
Acrosurge
Lumine Infinitus

erm

Not going to bother.
You are benevolent.

Among Spock's other physical gifts listed above are his strength and speed, which are apparently several times superior to even gifted human levels.

Still fighting,
Acrosurge

Old Post May 1st, 2008 06:43 PM
Acrosurge is currently offline Click here to Send Acrosurge a Private Message Find more posts by Acrosurge Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Neo Darkhalen
Mission zero

I know that, i have an entire encyclopedia on all of Star Trek, a collection of comics and the DVD's of the original series.

I am a trekkie or a semi....

Old Post May 1st, 2008 06:46 PM
Acrosurge
Lumine Infinitus

I know that, i have an entire encyclopedia on all of Star Trek, a collection of comics and the DVD's of the original series.

My apologies. I didn't mean to question your knowledge. I just wanted to contribute. smile

Still fighting,
Acrosurge

Old Post May 1st, 2008 06:47 PM
Neo Darkhalen
Mission zero

No by all means do, i would rather know where i am wrong in a field, i don't know much about Star Trek at all, since with age and not watching other series for a long time, i have forgot many things, if you can contribute and question that would be fantastic.

Old Post May 1st, 2008 06:50 PM
BruceSkywalker
The BatLord of the Jedi

Re: Mr. Spock

All respect this veteran of Star trek, the logical and brilliant mr. Spock, come now how can you not like him, not only is he one of the most mysterious of characters his arguments with bones are some of the greatest moments in the original star trek, and of course he gave us the Vulcan mind meld and what i can only describe as a sleeper hold.

Spock, (aka Mr. Spock) is a main character in the original Star Trek TV series, and one of the most enduring characters from American 1960s television. He is the only alien in the permanent cast: half-Vulcan, half-Human, and serves as the science officer and executive officer of the USS Enterprise, under Captain James T. Kirk.

His personal struggle between the Vulcan logical self and his human emotional self is the centerpiece of the character and created some evocative drama. He was originally portrayed by actor Leonard Nimoy (except for brief scenes of a much younger Spock in two later movies) and will be portrayed by both Zachary Quinto and Nimoy in the upcoming film Star Trek

Spock is a main character in Star Trek: The Original Series. Although initially kept "in the background" due to the concerns of NBC, he was featured in the opening credits, and quickly became a fan favorite. In the show, Spock serves as Science Officer and First Officer aboard the USS Enterprise. An episode "The Menagerie" included large segments of "The Cage", and established that Spock had served on the Enterprise for 11 years under Captain Christopher Pike before James Kirk took over as commanding officer.

A "troika" of Spock, Captain James T. Kirk, and Ship's Doctor Leonard McCoy developed. In particular, friendly banter and more intense argument between Spock and McCoy was popular amongst fans and their relationship was further developed. Part of the classic appeal of Star Trek lies in the manner in which the dialogue of these three friends mirrors the internal dialogue of the human brain. In this relationship, Spock often appears as the "superego", against Kirk's "ego" and McCoy's "id".

Various episodes of TOS revealed different facets of Spock's personality and abilities. For example, "The Omega Glory" revealed that Spock had the ability to exercise limited, short-range control over the minds of others (as well as in "By Any Other Name") — an ability never again exhibited by any Vulcan. This, combined with Spock's ability to transfer his katra, has led some to speculate that Spock possessed more advanced mental and psychic abilities than average Vulcans. TOS also revealed that Spock is an accomplished musician, adept at playing a form of Vulcan harp. He also (in "Requiem for Methuselah") displayed advanced knowledge of classical music, as well as the ability to play Earth folk tunes by ear such as "Row Row, Row Your Boat" (in Star Trek V: The Final Frontier). He also possessed enthusiasm for three-dimensional chess.

Given his skills at science, math, chess, diplomacy, unarmed combat and his apparently limitless knowledge (best seen in The Trouble with Tribbles), Spock may properly be considered a polymath.

Spock is truly an iconic character and one of my all time fave ones from Trek. Requiem for Methuselah is my 3rd fave TOS episode.

quote:
Vulcan neck pinch might be a sleeper hold

That actually works

THE TRIAL NEVER ENDS...thanks steve

Last edited by BruceSkywalker on May 1st, 2008 at 07:44 PM

Old Post May 1st, 2008 07:42 PM
BruceSkywalker is currently offline Click here to Send BruceSkywalker a Private Message Find more posts by BruceSkywalker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
starlock
Team Authority

Re: Re: Mr. Spock

Originally posted by BruceSkywalker
Spock is truly an iconic character and one of my all time fave ones from Trek. Requiem for Methuselah is my 3rd fave TOS episode.

That actually works

Now why did you have to say that, now my nephews will try and neck pinch me till the end of time big grin

http://www.thedeadlyaddictionschronicles.com/

Old Post May 1st, 2008 07:46 PM
starlock is currently offline Click here to Send starlock a Private Message Find more posts by starlock Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
DethRose
Owl Girl

It is Trekker.

Old Post May 1st, 2008 09:32 PM
DethRose is currently offline Click here to Send DethRose a Private Message Find more posts by DethRose Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Badabing
Karen

I thought Spock was hilarious in The Voyage Home.

You've just been Trump'd!

Official pimp of Steverules

Sig by Steve Rules

Old Post May 1st, 2008 10:17 PM
Badabing is currently offline Click here to Send Badabing a Private Message Find more posts by Badabing Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BruceSkywalker
The BatLord of the Jedi

Originally posted by Badabing
I thought Spock was hilarious in The Voyage Home.

He was. I was laughing a lot.

Old Post May 1st, 2008 10:35 PM
BruceSkywalker is currently offline Click here to Send BruceSkywalker a Private Message Find more posts by BruceSkywalker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
DethRose
Owl Girl

I liked when Spock was holding a tribble and was talking about how he was unaffected by them but he was stumbling on his words while he was stroking one of them. lol! Best Spock moment ever!

Old Post May 2nd, 2008 12:19 AM
BruceSkywalker
The BatLord of the Jedi

I also loved when Spock returned to the Trek Universe in the TNG episodes Unification, pts 1 & 2

Old Post May 2nd, 2008 12:54 AM
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

Originally posted by BruceSkywalker
I also loved when Spock returned to the Trek Universe in the TNG episodes Unification, pts 1 & 2

i thought unification part 1, without spock, wasnt great, but once he came into it, the episode seemed to jump up a gear big time, and i really enjoyed it...

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

"What does not kill me... is not trying hard enough."

Old Post May 2nd, 2008 04:02 AM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote